Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How does CC in 40k work?

If I have a unit of 1,000 cultists and I charge, how is success measured?

Does x% of the models in my unit need to reach base to base?

If just 1 cultist gets into base do all 1,000 cultists get to attack?

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/40k/warhammer_40000_en.pdf Page 8 of the free rulebook.

Rulebook posted:

To target an enemy unit, the attacking model
must either be within 1" of that unit, or within 1" of
another model from its own unit that is itself within 1"
of that enemy unit.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How does CC in 40k work?

Model by model basis. Your charge roll tells you how far each dude gets to move. Every model within 1" of an enemy or within 1" of one of your dudes in the same unit that is within 1" of an enemy gets to punch.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Because it was the cool thing to do like a week ago, I'm crossposting my Necromunda gang:

I was recently at a hamslam weekend with TheSexCannon, Buffalochicken, and a bunch of other hammy pals, and I was humbly reminded I need to up my photo game once someone else took pictures of my Goliaths:

It turns out a good camera on a good phone with good lighting takes better pictures than my potato phone and super warm bulbs! Who knew?

No one around me plays Necromunda, and you guys make me want to play it.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Better yet make the dome clear and have a skull inside it.

No, because once you add skulls you open the door to robotits. Best to just leave them as full robots.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Interesting. So assuming the unit has successfully charged...

The actual distance a model can be from an enemy unit to be able to attack is: 1" + Friendly Model Base" + 1"

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Interesting. So assuming the unit has successfully charged...

The actual distance a model can be from an enemy unit to be able to attack is: 1" + Friendly Model Base" + 1"

Once your charge is successful, you get to move to the fight phase, where you get to pile in, moving each model 3" but they have to end up closer to the closest enemy model. This means you can position them better to fight.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If you had a unit of 1000 cultists, you could presumably tie up a unit and still snake the cultist unit around every objective on the board simultaneously claiming all of them.

Which is kind of hilarious to think about.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
It's more or less "the first 2 ranks get to fight" but in rules legalese

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Tiger Millionaire posted:

It's more or less "the first 2 ranks get to fight" but in rules legalese

I'm fairly sure you can pull of 3 ranks fighting if you're on 25mm bases.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Double checking, 1 inch is 25.4mm so you are right! I'm already getting anxiety at the thought of perfectly aligning 3 rows of models as most stick out the base a little.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Boon posted:

If you had a unit of 1000 cultists, you could presumably tie up a unit and still snake the cultist unit around every objective on the board simultaneously claiming all of them.

Which is kind of hilarious to think about.

The guy at my local who plays the Plaguebearer Daemon list has done this multiple times. In one game he had a unit of PBs in combat on his opponent's board edge, claiming the objective on his own board edge, stood right next to a unit of Basilisks which had literally zero targets as everything else was either a character < 10 wounds or in combat.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Double checking, 1 inch is 25.4mm so you are right! I'm already getting anxiety at the thought of perfectly aligning 3 rows of models as most stick out the base a little.

You can very technically get 4 ranks but I've never seen anyone try and pull that poo poo in real life.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

It's been a while since I got some tips on death guard (thank you for everyone that said something!) I'm currently working on painting everything; I have about 2000 points. These are some of my first models, so I'm still pretty new at it, but mostly satisfied with everything. Still figuring out lightboxes and painting, but here's some of the recent stuff I've been working on:

I'll get around to taking more pictures in a bit, but I'm mostly fiddling with how to paint and how to take proper pictures. Thanks again for all the advice way back!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
My friends and I are playing at 2000 points. I'm AdMech. One friend has Mortarion. How do I ever kill him?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I have been playing dedicated transports as "you get one for every OTHER" instead of "you get one for EVERY other" for the entirety of 8th. :downs: I thought I was pretty handy with the rules, too.

This interpretation has never impeded me much but it made me look like an idiot when I called a friend's list (DE, my main army and something I should know) illegal.

Edit: for example I've been assuming a detachment of 6 could bring 3 dedicated transports and not 6

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EvilBeard posted:

My friends and I are playing at 2000 points. I'm AdMech. One friend has Mortarion. How do I ever kill him?

Shoot the hell out of him with Kastellans and/or Dunecrawlers with Neutron Lasers. Really I think that strategy will solve most problems you face with Admech.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pendent posted:

Shoot the hell out of him with Kastellans and/or Dunecrawlers with Neutron Lasers. Really I think that strategy will solve most problems you face with Admech.

I popped Elimination Volley with 3 Destroyers and 5 Robots, and then put Wrath of Mars on the robots and BO to staple them down. I did 7 damage. He just rolled into my lines and destroyed everything.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

InsidiousMuppet posted:

It's been a while since I got some tips on death guard (thank you for everyone that said something!) I'm currently working on painting everything; I have about 2000 points. These are some of my first models, so I'm still pretty new at it, but mostly satisfied with everything. Still figuring out lightboxes and painting, but here's some of the recent stuff I've been working on:

I'll get around to taking more pictures in a bit, but I'm mostly fiddling with how to paint and how to take proper pictures. Thanks again for all the advice way back!

These are some of your first models? They look great! Holy moley.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Because it was the cool thing to do like a week ago, I'm crossposting my Necromunda gang:

I was recently at a hamslam weekend with TheSexCannon, Buffalochicken, and a bunch of other hammy pals, and I was humbly reminded I need to up my photo game once someone else took pictures of my Goliaths:

These turned out great! I'm not too upset about missing the event while vacationing in Europe, but I am super-invested in getting my cultists painted for the next one and you can bet I'll be there!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Love the idea behind this scheme. Although I'd try and make it more bone and less cream.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
LGT army finished!

Now a bit sad that due to various work commitments i won’t get to play any games till the event. Such is life. Just need to drill “remember, the Drukari can’t advance and shoot” into my head till it sticks.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Here's the Scouts I painted up for Adpeticon. I had absolutely no fun painting them (outside the cloak, of course). Not really sure why, because I actually like the models and the final result!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

One_Wing posted:

LGT army finished!

Now a bit sad that due to various work commitments i won’t get to play any games till the event. Such is life. Just need to drill “remember, the Drukari can’t advance and shoot” into my head till it sticks.

:hfive: nice Biel-Tan :)

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Here's the Scouts I painted up for Adpeticon. I had absolutely no fun painting them (outside the cloak, of course). Not really sure why, because I actually like the models and the final result!

JESUS

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pretty sure that's supposed to be Joseph.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
The coat also had a fetching baret? I missed that version.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Love the idea behind this scheme. Although I'd try and make it more bone and less cream.

I did up a bone theme up at the beginning of 8th, it’s pretty simple and you can batch paint like a manic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Which do you think would look better with my Regal Skulls, giant purple stompy robots or giant bone stompy robots? I was thinking purple stompy robots.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

dexefiend posted:

This is after a night of drying.

Prime with Vallejo Israeli Sand primer.
Spray from above with VMC Deck Tan.
Paint red with Gory Red, body suit with P3 Coal Black.
Paint eye with P3 Arcane Blue.

Dipped with Minwax Polyshades Tudor.

My 20 min Dark Eldar test model for Bone Flayed Skull.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's fuckin' gorgeous. I mean, they all are, but the rainbow cloak seals the deal.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How does CC in 40k work?

For 8e, you're okay as long as one cultist makes it within 1" of the enemy during the charge phase. Then, in the combat phase, the entire squad gets to pile in 3" so in effect you get a little extra on the charge as long as at least one cultist made it. Once the pile in is done, any squad member who is within 1" of the enemy, or within 1" of another squad member member who is within 1" of the enemy may attack.

Honestly I slightly prefer Age of Sigmar's reach rules, where each model's weapon just has a reach distance and you can attack anything within reach, but hey.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

For 8e, you're okay as long as one cultist makes it within 1" of the enemy during the charge phase. Then, in the combat phase, the entire squad gets to pile in 3" so in effect you get a little extra on the charge as long as at least one cultist made it. Once the pile in is done, any squad member who is within 1" of the enemy, or within 1" of another squad member member who is within 1" of the enemy may attack.

Honestly I slightly prefer Age of Sigmar's reach rules, where each model's weapon just has a reach distance and you can attack anything within reach, but hey.

After my last game against a World Eaters player with ~50 Beserkers (and a Leviathan) there was a long conversation that generally game down to AoS doing melee combat better. Some of this was due to the guy I was playing really not liking the FAQ, but I can see where he was coming from. The reach stat works really well and when you start involving multi-level buildings the assault phase starts to get painful. We had one involving a three level building that ended up taking around an hour for a single round of combat due to his fighting multiple times and the movement being so fiddly.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How are you buggers putting out Dark Eldar so easily, while I felt like I was struggling the entire time just to paint an Archon and five Kabalites? :(

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Fruit roll up cloak be good.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

:five:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Killer_Bees! posted:

I did up a bone theme up at the beginning of 8th, it’s pretty simple and you can batch paint like a manic.

dexefiend posted:

My 20 min Dark Eldar test model for Bone Flayed Skull.

Extremely tasty Drukhari my friends. Hot drat that's some good painting you two. Leaping lizards those are well painted Dark Eldar.

I don't know if I'm 100% on board with the helmets being completely a different hue. But yeah I think it might be a bit "meh" if almost the whole gosh darn model was bone.

E: I think I just dislike the Kabalite heads altogether

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Killer_Bees! posted:

These own dude! whats the recipe for that effect?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Spooky Bone and Black Color Scheme:
Pros:
Looks cool, spooky, and sexy
Faster to paint
Easier (?) to paint

Cons:
Opportunity cost for neon; Drukhari are one of the armies that can go ham with wild colors
Apparently lots of folks doing bone
Vaguely look like the bone and black regular eldar

real tough debate imo

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Killer_Bees! posted:

Dieselpunk Dark Eldar!

Big shift from the usual bright Eldar schemes and it looks fantastic. Only bit that sticks out is the helmets, have you tried a brighter shade to make it pop more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Bone Drukhari, cont.

Matte/satin varnished him.

Killer Bees, what is the recipe/approach for yours? I like how dingy they look.