Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Can Pyro at least keep their airblast? It's admittedly a bit of a drastic change to the original balance, but the original balance kinda made Pyros at best an average threat (and on average pretty worthless beyond Spy-checking), and as somebody who likes playing as Pyro the most, I'd like to keep at least that much.
This is the issue that faces anyone who wants to set up a vanilla-style server: Nobody's willing to go full- vanilla and lose all the quality-of-life stuff that's been added over the years like airblasting, moving and upgrading buildings etc.

At some point the source code for the 2007 version of TF2 leaked, and someone turned it into a Source engine mod for true 100% vanilla-ness. But then they started adding their own stuff to it and turning it into their own kind of mess and no stop why are you trying to make a Trouble in Terrorist Town clone there are so many other things you could do and then it imploded in internal drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

it imploded in internal drama.

Ambitiousmodding.txt

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

Can Pyro at least keep their airblast? It's admittedly a bit of a drastic change to the original balance, but the original balance kinda made Pyros at best an average threat (and on average pretty worthless beyond Spy-checking), and as somebody who likes playing as Pyro the most, I'd like to keep at least that much.

Launch-day Pyro was really good as a close quarters damage dealer, before they nerfed the flamethrower damage because people complained that they'd die if they got close to the Pyro. It didn't actually need the airblast until the nerf made it useless at dealing damage.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

Launch-day Pyro was really good as a close quarters damage dealer, before they nerfed the flamethrower damage because people complained that they'd die if they got close to the Pyro. It didn't actually need the airblast until the nerf made it useless at dealing damage.

This wasn’t actually the case though? Shortly after launch there was a common meme of the pyro being point blank on a soldiers back who slowly turned around just to nuke the pyro with his rocket launcher. The flame damage also used to be affected by movement and direction which made the damage you could do as a pyro highly inconsistent because simply turning could see as much as an 80% damage decrease because the particles would now be behind the player you were attacking. In fact a year after launch they had to add a sizzle sound effect when you were hitting someone because the flame stream was so inconsistent that players couldn’t actually tell if they were hitting someone. If I recall correctly at launch there also wasn’t damage ramp up on the flamethrower as well so getting in close to someone didn’t actually make you do more damage. Launch Pyro was in a pretty dire spot to the point where you’d rarely see them at all in a match

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This wasn’t actually the case though? Shortly after launch there was a common meme of the pyro being point blank on a soldiers back who slowly turned around just to nuke the pyro with his rocket launcher.

It must have been at the end of the beta, then, but I definitely remember a period where the flamethrower did actual damage up close, which they ended up nerfing either shortly before or shortly after launch.

It's been 11 years, though, so maybe I just misremembered. :shrug:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 7, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know if they ever changed it but the Back Burner was pretty fun to use when it was first introduced.

I remember wiping out nearly the entire enemy team once in a narrow corridor when the guy in the front turned to run which triggered the flamethrower to crit everyone else behind him even though they were facing towards me.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’ve played since beta and the only time Pyro was overturned was when the back burner came out with an additional HP bonus which allowed the Pyro to tank through damage. It was especially bad with a medic.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Now that we're talking about Half-Life and Team Fortress, I have something to confess, fellas: I played the poo poo out of Half-Life & Opposing Force. I installed Half-Life 2 about as fast as I could manage--the "bane" of circa-2004 Steam couldn't deter me. I've even played Half-Life Source a bunch of times.

But I have never played Episodes 1 or 2--they've sat in my library for years now, untouched. I know there's an achievement regarding a gnome...and that's about it.

I have this idea now, as a finalized Black Mesa approaches, that I'm going to play through Black Mesa, Half-Life 2, and Episodes 1 & 2 in one big binge. Is anybody else planning to do this?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I have this idea now, as a finalized Black Mesa approaches, that I'm going to play through Black Mesa, Half-Life 2, and Episodes 1 & 2 in one big binge.

I can see it now

Cream-of-Plenty in the future posted:

Where's Half-Life 3?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The title of "half life 2: episode 1" still bothers the poo poo out of me and it's been a decade

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

HolyKrap posted:

I can see it now

Why do I need Half-Life 3 when I can eventually play whatever half-functioning mod seeking to emulate Marc Laidlaw's fan fiction is available by that point!? :v:

For real though, I remember thinking that, when they were first discussing the "advantages" of an episodic system, it would never work. They tried to pitch it like, "3-4 hours of content every 9 months is better than 8-12 hours of content every 3-4 years!" But we all know how Half-Life and SiN: Episodes turned out! Where are your gods now?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 8, 2018

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Why do I need Half-Life 3 when I can eventually play whatever half-functioning mod seeking to emulate Marc Laidlaw's fan fiction is available by that point!? :v:

For real though, I remember thinking that, when they were first discussing the "advantages" of an episodic system, it would never work. They tried to pitch it like, "3-4 hours of content every 9 months is better than 8-12 hours of content every 3-4 years!" But we all know how Half-Life and SiN: Episodes turned out! Where are your gods now?

Is there a write up or postmortem on what exactly went wrong with that? I'm guessing no.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I'm glad the episodic gaming fad seems to have died out. Telltale's early adventure game series were the only successful ones that come to mind; everything else was lucky to get to number 2. I just assumed that anything with "episode 1" in the title was unfinished. Of course, now there's early access, which is a separate type of playable but unfinished state.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is it still considered fan fiction when it's the story written by the actual writer of the series that he made for the actual game that just never got made for reasons he wasn't in control of

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

site posted:

Is it still considered fan fiction when it's the story written by the actual writer of the series that he made for the actual game that just never got made for reasons he wasn't in control of

It is when your main characters are named "Gertie Fremont" and "Alex Vaunt".

Gertie Fremont.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wamdoodle posted:

Is there a write up or postmortem on what exactly went wrong with that? I'm guessing no.

"Valve couldn't be bothered to put together an Episode 3 team when they should have had one ready to go as Episode 2 finished, kept reassigning people who would be on it to supporting other products" was the summary of the one I remember reading a few years ago.

There was some sort of major issue that justified temporarily halting Episode 3 getting a team together and making the thing (and of course Valve always has the delays rep anyway), but I can't remember what it was.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ponzicar posted:

I'm glad the episodic gaming fad seems to have died out. Telltale's early adventure game series were the only successful ones that come to mind; everything else was lucky to get to number 2.

I think there's some genres that just naturally work better in an episodic format. Adventure games seem to lend themselves to it much better than FPS's do, for instance. I never saw one, but I suspect an episodic strategy game would suck too. I think the general idea of episodic games is sound, but you need the right market for it and I don't think the FPS crowd is it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

catlord posted:

I think there's some genres that just naturally work better in an episodic format. Adventure games seem to lend themselves to it much better than FPS's do, for instance. I never saw one, but I suspect an episodic strategy game would suck too. I think the general idea of episodic games is sound, but you need the right market for it and I don't think the FPS crowd is it.

Well, the problem as I understand it isn't "these episodic games were completed, but sucked", it's "the publishers were too much of a lazy poo poo to complete them, period."

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

fishmech posted:

"Valve couldn't be bothered to put together an Episode 3 team when they should have had one ready to go as Episode 2 finished, kept reassigning people who would be on it to supporting other products" was the summary of the one I remember reading a few years ago.

There was some sort of major issue that justified temporarily halting Episode 3 getting a team together and making the thing (and of course Valve always has the delays rep anyway), but I can't remember what it was.

I thought the whole thing with Valve was that anyone can just wheel their desk around and work on whatever they want. I figured they just got distracted or couldn't find ways of implementing all their ideas and turning it into a good game

There a bit of information on some weapons from that Dota leak a few years back. Weaponizer sounds like they were trying to make Gravity Gun 2 but they at least had something

/src/game/server/ep3/weapon_icegun.cpp
/src/game/server/ep3/weaponizer_concrete.cpp
/src/game/server/ep3/weaponizer_liquid.cpp
/src/game/server/ep3/weaponizer_metal.cpp
/src/game/server/ep3/weapon_flamethrower.cpp

Kinda sad though, I finally lost hope in a HL3 once Marc Laidlaw posted Epistle 3. That would've been a great ending, just the scale of it would be impossible for any indie/modding team to recreate unless they also operated at Valve Time™

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

HolyKrap posted:

I thought the whole thing with Valve was that anyone can just wheel their desk around and work on whatever they want. I figured they just got distracted or couldn't find ways of implementing all their ideas and turning it into a good game

There a bit of information on some weapons from that Dota leak a few years back. Weaponizer sounds like they were trying to make Gravity Gun 2 but they at least had something

/src/game/server/ep3/weapon_icegun.cpp
/src/game/server/ep3/weaponizer_concrete.cpp
/src/game/server/ep3/weaponizer_liquid.cpp
/src/game/server/ep3/weaponizer_metal.cpp
/src/game/server/ep3/weapon_flamethrower.cpp

Kinda sad though, I finally lost hope in a HL3 once Marc Laidlaw posted Epistle 3. That would've been a great ending, just the scale of it would be impossible for any indie/modding team to recreate unless they also operated at Valve Time™

Well hey, it only took ~14 years (hopefully) for Black Mesa to become a fully executed product, so maybe--just maybe--we could have a competent community interpretation of Episode 3 in like...8 or 9 years, perhaps?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

catlord posted:

An episodic format can be successful in a story-rich genre because they’re popular with streamers, easy to finish, and typically end on some big cliffhanger that helps to set up the next installment. It’s fun to see other people’s reactions to the most dramatic moments and differing choices that lead to branches in the narrative. Nobody is going to make 20-minute analysis videos about the latent postcolonial elements within the Doom series or speculate upon how precisely Doomguy will rip and tear in between episode releases.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From what we've heard about Valve's idiotic "work on what you want" company policy, the reason Half-Life died is because nobody wanted to work on it.

quote:

In 2015, during a podcast hosted by Geoff Keighley, Newell said that “the only reason we’d go back and do like a super classic kind of product is if a whole bunch of people just internally at Valve said they wanted to do it, and had a reasonable explanation for why [they did].” Essentially this means Half Life 3 may not have been worked on in quite some time if nobody internally at Valve is pushing for it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Popular with streamers huh? Why do I care what those bottom feeders think?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Casimir Radon posted:

Popular with streamers huh? Why do I care what those bottom feeders think?

Streams bring in an absolutely massive amount of revenue for games these days grandpa, nearly enough to compete with traditional advertising

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Konami is dead to me until they stop ignoring that cliffhanger and release Megaman Legends Episode 3.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Keep in mind his thing isn't Half Life 3, it's Episode 3. It's the conculsion to the story threads started in Half Life 2, but it ends on a cliffhanger on the overarching Half Life story that would have needed a Half Life 3 to resolve.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well obviously we have to bring up the fact that all the most important early FPSes were episodic!

But I guess that was more of a distribution thing than a development thing, right? All 3 episodes of Doom existed at the time the shareware was released.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I still find it weird that Doom 2 is clearly divided into 3 episodes, but can only be played in a single block unless you cheat. Was this ever explained?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sir Lemming posted:

Well obviously we have to bring up the fact that all the most important early FPSes were episodic!

But I guess that was more of a distribution thing than a development thing, right? All 3 episodes of Doom existed at the time the shareware was released.

It's more a framing device in Doom, the three episodes were still released as one game and played with one executable. It's more like acts in a play than anything else. HL2 episodes were considered three separate games telling one story that they apparently literally just didn't feel like finishing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

I still find it weird that Doom 2 is clearly divided into 3 episodes, but can only be played in a single block unless you cheat. Was this ever explained?
Doom 2 was the "retail" game, as opposed to Doom 1's mail-order "registered" game. Same deal as with Wolfenstein 3D and its retail counterpart, Spear of Destiny, which was one big 21-level episode.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Ah right, I forgot about SoD actually. I still think it would be better as an episodic game. I vaguely remember seeing a mod that added the selection to the menu but can't find it now :(

Parachute
May 18, 2003
any of yall try out that weird rear end Sven Co-op platform called "Svenworks"? I had an itch to play this game again for the first time in 13 years and i noticed they created some weird digital distribution platform for co-op games (their games?), but you have to request a beta key from their forums.

edit:

hell yeah this looks like it was made in 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Now that we're talking about Half-Life and Team Fortress, I have something to confess, fellas: I played the poo poo out of Half-Life & Opposing Force. I installed Half-Life 2 about as fast as I could manage--the "bane" of circa-2004 Steam couldn't deter me. I've even played Half-Life Source a bunch of times.

But I have never played Episodes 1 or 2--they've sat in my library for years now, untouched. I know there's an achievement regarding a gnome...and that's about it.

I have this idea now, as a finalized Black Mesa approaches, that I'm going to play through Black Mesa, Half-Life 2, and Episodes 1 & 2 in one big binge. Is anybody else planning to do this?

i wasn't but since you're pretty much describing my own personal experience with hl2 as well, i might follow suite.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 8, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Episode 2 is legitimately great. Ep1 I feel was forgettable.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The citadel stuff at the start of ep1 is okay, and the ending is okay too. Everything between is a chore.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Why is Episode One of Half-Life 2 a sequel to Half-Life 2 the-full-game-without-an-episode-number?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Half Life 2: Episode 2, the fourth game in the half-life series

edit: If it was like "Half Life Episodes: Part 1 & 2" or something that'd at least make a little more sense, even if it wouldn't be much better of a title

edit: GORDON: A Half-Life Story

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CJacobs posted:

The long lost Kairosoft/Valve joint project.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Convex posted:

A lot of people played episode one of Doom and felt they were done.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CJacobs posted:

edit: If it was like "Half Life Episodes: Part 1 & 2" or something that'd at least make a little more sense, even if it wouldn't be much better of a title

Still holding out hope for the release of Dark Forces V: Jedi Knight IV: Jedi Academy II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Parachute posted:

any of yall try out that weird rear end Sven Co-op platform called "Svenworks"? I had an itch to play this game again for the first time in 13 years and i noticed they created some weird digital distribution platform for co-op games (their games?), but you have to request a beta key from their forums.

edit:

hell yeah this looks like it was made in 2004
That was their April Fools joke for this year. The Sven folks love their April Fools jokes almost as much as they love taking years to release things.

CJacobs posted:

Episode 1 was originally announced as an expansion pack called Half-Life 2: Aftermath, but evidently their eyes got a bit too big for their belly.