Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I feel like AC2s would be a viable weapon if they weighed about half what they do so you could really stack up volume of fire. Maybe less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Night10194 posted:

I feel like AC2s would be a viable weapon if they weighed about half what they do so you could really stack up volume of fire. Maybe less.

or larger maps and spotting ranges that really let you take advantage of the massive range

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eh, at current even if you had that they'd just be outperformed by LRMs at moment.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

When is AMS a thing in universe?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phrosphor posted:

When is AMS a thing in universe?

The million c-bill question.

It's Star League-era lostech but by 3040 it re-enters mass production.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So general question, is there any downside to stacking like max M lasers since they're so light? I've been pretty much sticking them whatever because they're just 1 ton.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao just did Served Cold and had my melee mech's arm mod+ blown off (and it ran out of SRMs), the LRM boat ran out of missiles, I ran out of AC20 shots (quit missing 90+ shots holy poo poo), and Espinoza's lance ran out of ammo or had their guns blow off, so the epic lance v lance fight ended in sad flailing against one another with broken arms. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 8, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tae posted:

So general question, is there any downside to stacking like max M lasers since they're so light? I've been pretty much sticking them whatever because they're just 1 ton.

Heat management and more weapons = more damage spread out. That said, laser boats can still absolutely melt with called shots or just attacking something that's already low on armor.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

is the banshee anything or?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Simi headshotted a Zeus on my escape from the castle mission so my lance was massively upgraded when I subbed it in for my wolverine and the free highlander for my centurion and now I'm stomping around annihilating every mech that shows up but holy poo poo they are sloooooow. I'm about to go back to Smithon and it's a defense mission. Should I leave those two in the barn and bring a faster lance or stick with the heavy hitters?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tae posted:

No, in fact M'laser boating has been a thing in TT for literal decades too. It's even easier there, because energy weapons in this game run slightly hotter than equivalent heatsinks are designed to handle [weapon heat is roughly TT values x5, while sinks are TT values x3]. The fact that big energy weapons run ludicrously hot for little benefit in this game means they're even more competitive now, and with SRMs pair nicely for spotters in front of your LRMboats.

But yeah Called Shots turn MLs from sandpaper disco balls to focused beams of death.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sandoz posted:

is the banshee anything or?

not really no

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Should I just faf around with side missions or is there some arbitrary timer I need to worry about while doing story missions (which i ostensibly need to get more sidequests)?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Faff about as much as you like.

In fact, it's probably ideal since the more story campaign missions you do the higher the global difficulty levels scale, turning the lategame into a purgatory of assaults and heavies forever.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Xarbala posted:

No, in fact M'laser boating has been a thing in TT for literal decades too. It's even easier there, because energy weapons in this game run slightly hotter than equivalent heatsinks are designed to handle [weapon heat is roughly TT values x5, while sinks are TT values x3]. The fact that big energy weapons run ludicrously hot for little benefit in this game means they're even more competitive now, and with SRMs pair nicely for spotters in front of your LRMboats.

But yeah Called Shots turn MLs from sandpaper disco balls to focused beams of death.

The heat values are all over the place, some are around TT x 3.5 while others are x4 or even x5. Also they apparently were going to have medium range but took it out so even changing the numbers to have it does nothing. For example a M'laser's range is listed as 180/180/270, but setting it in the file to 90/180/270 doesn't change it in game, at least as far as I can tell.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Xarbala posted:

Faff about as much as you like.

In fact, it's probably ideal since the more story campaign missions you do the higher the global difficulty levels scale, turning the lategame into a purgatory of assaults and heavies forever.

Yeah, I got backed into a corner my first playthough because I was taking story missions immediately and wound up in a situation where my lance was outclassed (for my skill level) for every mission available. Starting over after learning what I learned that first time it's going much much better, and I'm doing lots of faffing about.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Holy poo poo whoever thought this squashed map and unit setup was fine for the Smithon plot mission is a loving idiot. It takes forever every turn and its just a million indirect fire lrms.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 8, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The LRMs come from an lrm turret. You pretty much need your own lrm boats if you're trying for the extra objectives. You can blow up two crates, its great when the enemy mechs bunch up around those.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Synthbuttrange posted:

The LRMs come from an lrm turret. You pretty much need your own lrm boats if you're trying for the extra objectives. You can blow up two crates, its great when the enemy mechs bunch up around those.

For some reason I was only able to even aim at two of those crates for the whole mission. The LOS on the back ones is kind of hosed up.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

That mission was a shitshow for me too, but it's a welcome break from the random contract battles. Stir up the variables and add some exploding crates to a crowded map, why not. I guess I also wasn't aggressive enough to target more than one or two forwarded crates and just kind of camped out and slowly won through attrition. LRM boat had to sprint West to kill the trucks, which barely worked.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I went with a firestarter, two mediums (griffin/shawk?) and a missile boat jaeger. The Firestarter rushed off to the left to stomp on trucks while everyone else popped over the hill to nuke the turrets, then retreated back down to draw the enemy mechs into bunching up around the crates. As soon as most of them were in range, kabooooom.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Control Volume posted:

What I truly want though is the locust to be useful to the endgame though, because if they manage that, the theme of pilots randomly getting hosed in a meatgrinder comes back into play and creates all sorts of interesting stories as a result, similar to OG xcom

This will never happen even with a proper balance pass. It's a 20 ton machine with room for, like, a gun. What do you expect?

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Canopus250 posted:

Holy poo poo whoever thought this squashed map and unit setup was fine for the Smithon plot mission is a loving idiot. It takes forever every turn and its just a million indirect fire lrms.

Holy smokes I hated the ever loving gently caress out of that mission, the only reason I beat it was because I spent 10+ turns jumping 2 Vindicators back and forth between mineral deposits on the ridge next to the deployment area and the AI bugged out so that the parade of enemy mechs couldn't find its way up the ridge or over the small hill my almost dead Quickdraw was hiding behind so I just hid and PPC plinked them all to death, saved all the crates at least...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They can give light mechs an endgame upgrade where they move twice per turn, since their advantage is speed.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Yeah, I've just had zero luck with multiple enemies standing next to any ammo crates and then even when I finally loving beat it I had taken 7 different head hits across my pilots the two turrets, Dragon, and Griffin's LRMs.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Sometimes, your full assault lance rolls low on the encounter table and only has to kill 2 dragons and a thunderbolt.

Sometimes, one of those dragons scores an AC/5 and ML headshot on your undamaged highlander in the first volley and murders your 10/10/10/10 Behemoth.

https://imgur.com/a/QDHKeqU

also I have no idea how to embed .gifs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/Pwbohgq.mp4

just paste the url directly no tags

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Elendil004 posted:

Should I just faf around with side missions or is there some arbitrary timer I need to worry about while doing story missions (which i ostensibly need to get more sidequests)?

Get the Argo, faff about till you are sick of mediums, advance till you get the Highlander, faff around till you have all the assaults you want, finish game.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

My Dekker is still alive but the game is really trying to kill him. Early in the game he was injured and out for a few days. Next mission a new hire goes in his place and his Spider gets cored out. Dekker comes back and takes a missle to the face. Out for another month. Medusa goes out in his place and gets killed in the next mission. Dekker came back but was eventually sidelined for a bulwark pilot. Three quarters of the way through the campaign Dekker was called on again and again was immediately injured. Next mission, backup pilot Shut-In goes out in Dekker's place. A Demolisher put two shots right through the canopy of Shut-In's pristine, braced Highlander. Dekker is clearly cursing these mechs but I'm afraid to fire him because I don't want him to curse the Argo too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glenn Quebec posted:

This will never happen even with a proper balance pass. It's a 20 ton machine with room for, like, a gun. What do you expect?
Yeah my best random rookie stories still involved the fact my random OG Xcom rookies could carry the same gear as everyone else if wanted to.

Forcing my poo poo stat roll rookie to sweep a ship with a taser in one hand and a live grenade in the other bagging an alien commander hiding in a closet would not be as funny, if "Sorry, literally the only thing you can carry is a cattle prod and hand grenade." rather than an act of cheapskate cruelty.

Because the second half of that fondly remembered rookie story, was handing him my best equipment from then on out because he earned it. If having worse weapons and armor than everyone else was mandatory, he would have been stuck as just another poo poo soldier with poo poo gear, and eventually fired to make room for their betters regardless of their accomplishments.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 8, 2018

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The pairings for round 4 are up! Click HERE to find your opponent!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
drat it feels good to be back in a Stalker.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I finally did it. Had to save scum to save Glitch.

One of Victoria's Lance (the Awesome) scored a lucky headshot on her and killed her in the second round of the final battle of the entire storyline portion of the game.

I didn't even wait for the round to end before hitting "load game".

That second try went much better, with Glitch coring Victoria's King Crab with her Gauss cannon as the first kill of the fight.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Hopefully this is ok but figured if anyone was on the fence about buying the game, https://www.fanatical.com/en/ has it 15% off add another 10% off with code MAY10 ? Hopefully this site isn't poo poo like G2A, I tried to look it up and didn't find anything awful about it. Basically 25% off Battletech pushed me into a sale.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Fanatical used to be Bundle Stars, I think they're okay.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Psion posted:

Fanatical used to be Bundle Stars, I think they're okay.

They're kosher. Just hate the daily emails, Bundle Stars (their previous incarnation) was much less spammy.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Think of the Banshee as a 95 ton firestarter and use your imagination.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Second part of Grave Robber.

Hm. One vehicle left, I'll just DFA it.

LL destroyed

Enemy Mechs Spotted

Still pulled out a victory.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I'm not enjoying the All Assaults, All The Time end game. Feels like the game peaks about half-way through when you're cobbling together your first heavy and having one AC 20 on a mech is a novelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah. Mid-game is the best pace/mix of stuff. I'm going to get my game there and the restoration isnt going any further :v: