Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Isn't every bit of land with a watershed technically a series of island then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
europe is simply a tightly packed archipelago when you think about it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm always saying Delmarva should be considered an island because yes there is a canal but it's free flowing tidal water.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Baronjutter posted:

This is cool

I thought it was weird that the "main" route skipped the Lower Mississippi and instead opted to go through a bunch of smaller rivers and canals in Tennessee/Alabama. I mean, isn't that supposed to be one of those quintessential American experiences, boating down the Mississippi River? So I looked the route up and it turns out in that between Cairo, Illinois and New Orleans, the Mississippi River doesn't have that many marinas open for recreational boaters, and there's a particular stretch where you'd have to go 450 miles (or about two weeks) without being able to dock anywhere. Meanwhile, traveling through that other route that goes through Tennessee and Alabama has tons of marinas.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Too brown for Bostonians.

Holy poo poo.

Pakled posted:

I thought it was weird that the "main" route skipped the Lower Mississippi and instead opted to go through a bunch of smaller rivers and canals in Tennessee/Alabama. I mean, isn't that supposed to be one of those quintessential American experiences, boating down the Mississippi River? So I looked the route up and it turns out in that between Cairo, Illinois and New Orleans, the Mississippi River doesn't have that many marinas open for recreational boaters, and there's a particular stretch where you'd have to go 450 miles (or about two weeks) without being able to dock anywhere. Meanwhile, traveling through that other route that goes through Tennessee and Alabama has tons of marinas.

I've known about the ICW and Great loop for a long time now but I didn't know that about the Mississippi river (lack of) marinas. Anyone know why that might be?

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 7, 2018

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Holy poo poo.

I've known about the ICW and Great loop for a long time now but I didn't know that about the Mississippi river (lack of) marinas. Anyone know why that might be?

The Lower Mississippi is pretty heavily enclosed in levees and floods a lot, so it's not really the most hospitable place to put luxury facilities like marinas for pleasure craft. Plus there really aren't a lot of pleasure craft around to take advantage of facilities like marinas, so nobody builds them, so there aren't any pleasure craft, and so on.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Bolivia wouldn't keep that coast for long.

They're pissed about it to this day.

Text reads: Which was once ours will be ours once more. Hold on tight rotos (Chilean slang and apparently a slur for Chileans outside of Chile), here come the colorados of Bolivia.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why not? (Other than the fact that kebab came to Sweden from Germany, not Turkey.) How about in a hundred years? Or a thousand years? When has a dish become "domestic" in any given culture? Why not when people in that culture consider it a normal part of their everyday life?

Who is making the kebab in Sweden?
(and who do you think brought it from Germany, that country with one particularly notable immigrant community)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Truly we cant talk about national cuisines unless we can identify the guy who first had the idea of cooking a chunk of meat over a fire.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It was me, you're welcome.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

Isn't every bit of land with a watershed technically a series of island then

No, because distributaries are rare.

Usually there isn’t surface water right on the divide.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platystemon posted:

No, because distributaries are rare.

Usually there isn’t surface water right on the divide.

Usually. You do get stuff like the two creeks of Two Oceans Pass in Wyoming:

As you probably expect, out of the marsh and small lake in the middle of the pass, Atlantic Creek flows to the Yellowstone River, which flows to the Missouri and thence to the Mississippi. Pacific Creek flows to the Snake River and thence into the Columbia to the ocean.

It's not like these are intermittent streams either, they're active flows year round as is the marsh in the middle, and fish capable of swimming against the current could theoretically go through it to migrate all the way from the west coast to the east coast through the various river networks.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

ekuNNN posted:

Kazakhstan was the last Republic to leave the Soviet Union, even after Russia left. which means that for 4 days, this was the de facto USSR.

and Kazakhstan declared independence on December 21, whereas the Soviet Union dissolved itself on December 26 - meaning that for five days, the country existed solely on paper.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Grape posted:

(and who do you think brought it from Germany, that country with one particularly notable immigrant community)

This post is titled "missing the forest for the trees"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Senor Dog posted:

This post is titled "missing the forest for the trees"

Would you guys call Chinese takeout American food? Or Chinese food in America?
Now ask yourselves why this is any different with Sweden or Germany with Turkish food.

Or the simple method, ask anyone from the Balkans/Levant if Kebabgyroschwarma can be considered Swedish, and just soak in the uproarious laughter and/or cuss words.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Grape posted:

Chinese takeout is a US tailored modification of mainland Chinese food that most Chinese would not consider Chinese food, kind of like Taco Bell isn't Mexican food (although at least Chinese takeout was probably developed by people of Chinese descent).

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Grape posted:

Now ask yourselves why this is any different with Sweden or Germany with Turkish food.

Or the simple method, ask anyone from the Balkans/Levant if Kebabgyroschwarma can be considered Swedish, and just soak in the uproarious laughter and/or cuss words.

I'm glad we had this back and forth so we could finally infer that there is no such thing as street food in Sweden.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The shape of Alabama’s flag has never been specified.

LOL

Wikipedia posted:

It is sometimes believed that the crimson saltire of the current flag of Alabama was designed to resemble the blue saltire of the Confederate Battle Flag. Many battle flags were square, and the flag of Alabama is sometimes also depicted as square. The legislation that created the state flag did not specify that the flag was to be square, however.[7] The authors of a 1917 article in National Geographic expressed their opinion that because the Alabama flag was based on the Battle Flag, it should be square.[8] In 1987, the office of Alabama Attorney General Don Siegelman issued an opinion in which the derivation from the 60th Alabama Battle Flag is indicated, and also concluded that the proper shape is rectangular, as it had been depicted numerous times in official publications and reproductions;[6] despite this, the flag is still often depicted as being square, even in official publications of the U.S. federal government.[9]

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grape posted:

Swedes or kurds.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I like how Nevada, Hawaii and Alaska don't have nearly enough counties to come anywhere close to depicting their flags

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grape posted:

Sauerkraut: German or Chinese?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cat Mattress posted:

Sauerkraut: German or Chinese?

Alsacien. :france:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
is tikka masala British?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Ras Het posted:

is tikka masala British?
It's widely accepted to be a creation from Britain. I'm not sure whether the chefs who originally created the dish were technically UK citizens at the time though.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Grape posted:

Most kebab place owners are Swedish citizens by now. Look, i'm not claiming Swedes invented kebab. But like indish food in britain it has adapted so much locally to the point that i think a levantine person would scarcely recognize it as a levantine dish.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the prototypically swedish street food is tunnbrödsrulle and you'll just have to accept that in your heart

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Also kebab is ubiquitous in Europe now, you can get it as steeet food literally in any European city with a population of more than like 15 people. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a town in Switzerland with more than 2 restaurants that didn’t have at least one kebab shop. And usually it’s the only place open on Sundays or at random off hours like 4pm. I’ve never lived in Sweden but I don’t remember kebab being any more ubiquitous there than it is in any large European city, and certainly far less than Berlin.

Also currywurst is disgusting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Currywurst sucks, and also for Christ's sake, how long can you talk about loving meat and vegetables in a bun.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
How long has it been from the invention of bread?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

steinrokkan posted:

Currywurst sucks, and also for Christ's sake, how long can you talk about loving meat and vegetables in a bun.

Look, I'll agree that Finnish kebab isn't perfect but calling it vegetables is a bit much

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Turn that one county white and you get Puerto Ric-Ohio

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Benagain posted:

How long has it been from the invention of bread?

Seven.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmao bulgaria

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

lmao UK. you were the first first world country and now you're getting beaten by the primitive backwards Spaniard with his Catholic theocracy and lazy lounging in the Mediterranean sun

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Chinese takeout is a US tailored modification of mainland Chinese food that most Chinese would not consider Chinese food, kind of like Taco Bell isn't Mexican food (although at least Chinese takeout was probably developed by people of Chinese descent).

It's also complete crap compared with actual Chinese food, as well as somehow established all over Europe too.

The same thing goes for British curries.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Come on, Estonia, you'll never be able to join the Nordic club that way

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:agreed:

It’s also the most important role of a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Private Speech posted:

It's also complete crap compared with actual Chinese food, as well as somehow established all over Europe too.

The same thing goes for British curries.

:wrong:

on both counts