Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

What if he lost his prowres

Skinny Steve being middle aged and grumpy that he can't go help in Vietnam would be a terrible fate for our hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Dan Didio posted:

Having Cap effectively just retire is really dishonest.

yeah his biggest character flaw, something they hammered on in AoU, is that he's terrified of not having a fight

i mean he could "overcome" that through character development and hang up his boots or whatever but there's zero chance steve rogers sees a fight on tv and shrugs and goes back to his crossword puzzle

it's much more in character for him to jump on a (live, this time) grenade

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

as much as id like to see cap get his date, him getting sent to the past to live out his days creates a huge time paradox in the future/present

The Dragonballs Infinity Gauntlet makes the wielder God, as I said above he can get his date and preserve the timeline.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Gauntlet is shot though. They might have one crack at reversing things and even then the person that does it probably gonna be fried. They put a price on the use of it unlike in the comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The Gauntlet is shot though. They might have one crack at reversing things and even then the person that does it probably gonna be fried. They put a price on the use of it unlike in the comics.

Which is why it will appear that he's dead, everyone in the MCU will think he's dead. They can still do the legacy handoff if they want to.

"We had a date."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They'll have a date dead in the Soul Stone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

You know, this would also be acceptable. I just want Evans to get a good sendoff with a happy ending.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

X-O posted:

Peggy already died before the Snappening. Unless the Soul Stone is literally the afterlife and preemptively taking the souls of all the dead.

Also, she had Alzheimer's. I don't think we have clearly established rules on how cognitive strength translates into the soul stone.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Peggy already died before the Snappening. Unless the Soul Stone is literally the afterlife and preemptively taking the souls of all the dead.

So did Gamora and she's there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

X-O posted:

So did Gamora and she's there.

I think she was a special case because she was specifically sacrificed to the stone.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rhyno posted:

Why does he have to die?

He doesn’t.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

What if he lost his prowres

That would be more insulting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

He doesn’t.

We're like 50 pages deep of people convinced that it's gonna happen.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

We're like 50 pages deep of people convinced that it's gonna happen.

Okay?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm just offering up options man.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
I like how in both his movie and Infinity War Dr. Strange wins by being a huge loser. By losing more than any other individual has lost before.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I am almost 100% they are going to end with Cap saying "Avengers Assemble" seeing as how it's been 10 loving years and we haven't heard that classic line used a billion times in comics and tv already, it's almost a given at this point. At this point, I would be happy if we got something to the effect of Cap going back in time with Sharon Carter to live out his days in his ideal world while introducing his new love interest to Peggy. More than likely, they'll make him head of SHIELD if they don't kill him off as a big heroic sacrifice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Diabetic posted:

I would be happy if we got something to the effect of Cap going back in time with Sharon Carter to live out his days in his ideal world while introducing his new love interest to Peggy

Lmao what

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Takezio posted:

I like how in both his movie and Infinity War Dr. Strange wins by being a huge loser. By losing more than any other individual has lost before.

For being an arrogant prick Dr Strange is pretty down with self sacrifice.

I think that's why he can defeat Thanos, Thanos has demonstrated he will sacrifice everything he cares about to schedule his goals, Dr Strange will sacrifice all that and also himself.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

site posted:

look the question was if a stone had ever been used without a harness and quill channeled the energy of the power stone while it was in his hand to kill ronan what do you guys want from me here

I think they were pretty clear that that only worked because a bunch of people were doing it together, which is basically a kind of harness.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've never read a lot of his comics at all, but I'm liking the version of Dr. Strange we've had in both Ragnarok and IW. He may be a snarky dick but he's willing to sacrifice more than anyone else.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

site posted:

Lmao what

"Hey Peg, I'm banging your grand-niece. Threesome?" Yeah, totally in-character for Cap.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rand Brittain posted:

I think they were pretty clear that that only worked because a bunch of people were doing it together, which is basically a kind of harness.

Yeah they were clear that this and his half alien heritage were what kept him from immediately exploding like The Collector’s assistant.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've never read a lot of his comics at all, but I'm liking the version of Dr. Strange we've had in both Ragnarok and IW. He may be a snarky dick but he's willing to sacrifice more than anyone else.

That completely tracks with the comic version.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Why do people seem to think the Infinity Gauntlet is a magic wishing lamp? Thanos didn't do what you or I would do and ask for million more wishes or to feed the hungry when he puts on the Gauntlet because that's not how the Gauntlet works in the MCU. Yes it's powerful, so powerful that a single infinity gem is enough to destroy most people who try to use it, Thanos can only use the glove to do his one dumb idea because he believes in that idea fanatically .

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Because in every version of an infinity gauntlet story that i can think of, other than this and Hickman's avengers, it is a wishing lamp that lets you do whatever whenever

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

i like tacos posted:

I made this for a discord server I go to because they kept trying to over analyze Thanos' plan

It's this. Any question of why Thanos didn't do X or Y comes back to this.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Why do people seem to think the Infinity Gauntlet is a magic wishing lamp?

Because it literally is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The gauntlet that uses infinity gems is a wishing lamp. This one uses stones.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

site posted:

Because in every version of an infinity gauntlet story that i can think of, other than this and Hickman's avengers, it is a wishing lamp that lets you do whatever whenever

Yeah but that's not really how it's been presented in the movies, Doctor Strange and Vision were the only entities able to channel a stone's powers in a constructive fashion and even that was underlined to be a taboo in both cases, the soul gem requires a literal blood sacrifice, the others are all evildoer macguffin's that end their movies locked away for the greater good. They've all got bad hoodoo, you mix them all together and give them to space Hitler it's certainly not going to turn him into Space Jesus.

That job is taken.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah but that's not really how it's been presented in the movies, Doctor Strange and Vision were the only entities able to channel a stone's powers in a constructive fashion and even that was underlined to be a taboo in both cases, the soul gem requires a literal blood sacrifice, the others are all evildoer macguffin's that end their movies locked away for the greater good. They've all got bad hoodoo, you mix them all together and give them to space Hitler it's certainly not going to turn him into Space Jesus.

That job is taken.

Spiderman has to teach him how to poop though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DynamicSloth posted:

I'm not really sure what having trials to acquire the stones has to do with it but like, from what I remember of the movies except for that second and a half at the burned out glove after he used it there was nothing up to that point that told us that the gauntlet can't do anything and everything so I'm not sure what would be the problem in assuming it could

E: rereading maybe I misinterpreted what you were trying to get at, I don't think having the glove should've made him suddenly altruistic, but it took many people about 3 seconds to question not making more resources which makes it a bit hard for us to accept that no one, including Thanos, ever had this thought themselves in universe because it's so brain dead obvious.

Like you can say oh yeah he's dead set on it because past trauma or whatever but it's SO loving OBVIOUS that it wraps around to being kinda dumb

E2: looks like James gunn did have a little input on iw after all

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/993690772212940801?s=19

site fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 8, 2018

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

site posted:

I'm not really sure what having trials to acquire the stones has to do with it but like, from what I remember of the movies except for that second and a half at the burned out glove after he used it there was nothing up to that point that told us that the gauntlet can't do anything and everything so I'm not sure what would be the problem in assuming it could

The shot of the burnt out Gauntlet is part of the text of the film and basically the only real mechanic you learn about how the Gauntlet works: it's a one, maybe two trick pony, at least for effects the size of the snappening.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The one reliable rule of wishes in fiction is "be careful what you wish for". In that regard, Thanos made a pretty solid wish. Killing half the beings in the universe is a pretty minor act compared to changing its laws. "Make the universe bigger" or "make infinite resources" don't take into mind all the ways those wishes could backfire spectacularly physics-wise, and considering the gauntlet seems to have a limit on its capabilities it's probably not a good idea to mess with things that could cause more galactic-scale problems than you could wish away. Killing a bunch of people probably won't backfire like that, especially since Thanos was already willing to sacrifice his loved ones. It's basically immune to the "rear end in a top hat genie" effect, unlike a lot of the suggested wishes I've seen.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
When I said the Phase 1 characters would exit the franchise I didn't mean kill everyone, just that I doubt any of the actors are still interested in going on as flag bearers. RDJ did his thing and ignited the franchise, Evans has been looking for a way out for some time, ScarJo doesn't really have any reason to stay playing second fiddle and Marvel sure is dragging the Black Widow solo movie production - that never even began? - as long as they can, Renner doesn't even exist. Hemsworth is the only one I can see that would be happy to stay for a little longer now that Waititi did his magic.

I also feel that both Steve and Stark had arcs that seem 90% complete and are only lacking a good finale.

If anything, given the ending of Black Panther, and also it's huge reception, I see T'Challa creating a New SHIELD instead of Cap.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only limit to the power of the gauntlet is the users imagination. Thanos has limitless resolve, determination, and commitment, but he's poo poo-all for imagination.
He had a plan for Titan. He knows in his heart it would have worked. It worked on Gamorra world and he will prove it would work for the whole universe.

He can't wish up unlimited resources because that's something he can't even imagine. He's so single minded in searching for a solution to a problem he can't conceive of a universe in which that problem didn't exist

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

The gauntlet that uses infinity gems is a wishing lamp. This one uses stones.

There is no difference, Fiege even said he just like the way stone sounded better than gem. And now they've gone and changed them in the comic to stones as well.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I do like the idea of the snappening causing some kind of rift in the universe that causes Galactus to have a look. That would be pretty cool

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Rhyno posted:

My "We had a date" ending for Steve is still better than anything I have heard suggested.

I agree. It's pretty drat good tbh

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The only limit to the power of the gauntlet is the users imagination. Thanos has limitless resolve, determination, and commitment, but he's poo poo-all for imagination.
He had a plan for Titan. He knows in his heart it would have worked. It worked on Gamorra world and he will prove it would work for the whole universe.

He can't wish up unlimited resources because that's something he can't even imagine. He's so single minded in searching for a solution to a problem he can't conceive of a universe in which that problem didn't exist

I don't even think it's because he lacks imagination. Thanos is so fixated on the fact that his world didn't listen to his (totally not at all crazy) idea to half-genocide everybody and then they all died, so he's apparently spent the last however long going around trying to prove that he was right (by half-genociding other worlds). Thanos isn't an altruist. I mean obviously, he's a mass murderer, but Thanos isn't in it for altruistic reasons. He says he is, but he goes around with a retinue led by a guy constantly going on about THE GLORY AND HONOR OF BEING MURDERED BY THE INCREDIBLY COOL AND TOTALLY HANDSOME THANOS.

Thanos doesn't snap his fingers and end suffering and poverty and overcrowding by creating a zillion new planets forever because what Thanos wants, deep down, is for the universe to finally go "drat Thanos, you were right all along." Yes, this isn't the behavior of a 100% fully rational actor, that's why he's the bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I’m not the Russo’s biggest fan, but I don’t think they’re stupid enough to reintroduce SHIELD or have Cap or T’Challa run it.

Also it’s going to be weird to watch Captain Marvel and see her palling around with super-nazis.

• Locked thread