Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

redeyes posted:

No NTFS formatted drivers are strictly Windows territory. Either stick with windows or get ready to start migrating to another file system.

Which you really should do anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
ntfs-3g is a thing

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

ntfs-3g is a thing

While true, I wouldn't use it for anything more than migrating data. If "must keep dataset as-is on current NTFS drives" is a requirement, I wouldn't move off of Windows.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah although there might be work arounds and/or hacks, you loving don't want to do that for your own precious files.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

derk posted:

What are the specs of your server?

It's an AMD E-360 1.6 GHz with 8.0 GB of RAM. I'm using a Shield TV as my Plex server so the computer is just downloading, organizing, and sharing the files.

I guess I'm not really against migrating all the drives away from NTFS into something else, but not enthused about the effort/time required since I'd have to do them one at a time. I guess a Windows reinstall is my best option due to my laziness.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I haven't had my NAS on in like two or three months, and now Windows gives me this while trying to access it. Any idea what's up? Is it a new W10 policy?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

ufarn posted:

I haven't had my NAS on in like two or three months, and now Windows gives me this while trying to access it. Any idea what's up? Is it a new W10 policy?

I think SMB1 got disabled with the Fall Creators Update

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (and maybe earlier?) has SMB1 disabled by default. You have two options:

(1) Go into your NAS and tell it to utilize something newer, like SMB2 or SMB3. This is the best option, and unless your NAS is rather old and no longer getting updates, it should be easy to do.

(2) Re-enable SMB1 on Windows. You can do this by going into Windows Features, scrolling through the list until you find the SMB 1.0 options, and enabling the CIFS Client and Automatic Removal.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's a primordial WD My Book World, so it might just be time to put it out to pasture.

Maybe I should find a Synology to put the RAID drives in instead, assuming it isn't too noisy.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Synology and QNAP provide a range of two bay options. Comes down to features and price.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Question for the unraid folks, how often do you do a parity check? Weekly? Monthly?

I've been doing monthly and after if I ever have to power down etc.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

priznat posted:

Question for the unraid folks, how often do you do a parity check? Weekly? Monthly?

I run mine weekly.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Devian666 posted:

Synology and QNAP provide a range of two bay options. Comes down to features and price.
How are both in terms of noise? I don't have too many places to stash mine, even with powerline.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Weekly for parity and monthly on disk health. I do a parity check after OS updates and etc too.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

priznat posted:

Monthly for both parity and SMART reports.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Shucked a few 8TB drives, doing some preflight checks. Only 16 hours to do a SMART long offline test...

I'm replacing a 4 wide pool of 4TB mirrored vdevs on my FreeNAS 11.1 box. What's the thread's consensus on burn-in testing? FreeNAS forum guys like to use badblocks from what I've seen.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

How are both in terms of noise? I don't have too many places to stash mine, even with powerline.

Generally the 2 and 4 bay units are pretty good.

I'm using a QNAP 231P with 2 x WDC 2TB reds. Link below. The unit is quiet and the only time I can hear the case fan is when the lounge is completely quiet. I have the NAS in my home entertainment unit in the lounge with other networking gear and the AV receiver. I've never had the case fan go above 960RPM even with the CPU at 100% load and heavy disk activity. So pretty drat quiet, although part of why it's quiet is because of the hard drives. I can't hear any hard drive activity and this appears to be part of the red features. So don't put noisey high performance drives in the NAS if that would be an issue.
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-231p

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Devian666 posted:

Generally the 2 and 4 bay units are pretty good.

I'm using a QNAP 231P with 2 x WDC 2TB reds. Link below. The unit is quiet and the only time I can hear the case fan is when the lounge is completely quiet. I have the NAS in my home entertainment unit in the lounge with other networking gear and the AV receiver. I've never had the case fan go above 960RPM even with the CPU at 100% load and heavy disk activity. So pretty drat quiet, although part of why it's quiet is because of the hard drives. I can't hear any hard drive activity and this appears to be part of the red features. So don't put noisey high performance drives in the NAS if that would be an issue.
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-231p

This is the same one I have, using a pair of 6TB IronWolf drives, and I can say it's very quiet. I keep it on my desk right next to my router, and I only occasionally hear the drives working if I listen for it while I'm doing a really big transfer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for the info, unraid peeps!

Is there an automated way to get smart health in the gui or is it just via the console running smartctl via cron etc?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

priznat posted:

Thanks for the info, unraid peeps!

Is there an automated way to get smart health in the gui or is it just via the console running smartctl via cron etc?

You have a basic view of S.M.A.R.T. data on the dashboard page. Clicking on each disk drive will give you attributes and S.M.A.R.T testing. Setting up notifications will allow you to receive alerts from it as well.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Any deals on miniservers lately? I'm thinkin Dell T20, Lenovo TS140, etc.

Friend's looking for a new box & that's what I went with a few years ago - still seems like a good choice if you can find em cheap?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There's some windows software that allows you to manage different levels of redundancy for different defined classes of files across standard disk volumes. Someone remind me what it's called, please

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Are you meaning Storage Spaces?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/storage-spaces-direct-overview

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Drivepool?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Thank you

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Varashi posted:

Eh, this is almost correct, but not quite. ZFS L2ARC needs a ram entry per zfs RECORD, not disk sector. Most likely your recordsize still is the default 128k.

You'll be fine on RAM.
Ah yes, you're right. The worst-case scenario is that record sizes are all the minimum size (which is the sector size of the disk, if I recall) - best-case scenario is that the ZIL gets filled and writes the transaction group at the record size.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DrDork posted:

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (and maybe earlier?) has SMB1 disabled by default. You have two options:

(1) Go into your NAS and tell it to utilize something newer, like SMB2 or SMB3. This is the best option, and unless your NAS is rather old and no longer getting updates, it should be easy to do.

(2) Re-enable SMB1 on Windows. You can do this by going into Windows Features, scrolling through the list until you find the SMB 1.0 options, and enabling the CIFS Client and Automatic Removal.

Just to follow up on this: You DON'T want to re-enable SMB1 if you can avoid it, it got killed on purpose due to it being used by Cryptolockers to spread like wildfire.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah I'm not one to break security features that were put there for a reason.

Kinda wanna see whether I can just buy a cheap enclosure for it and do something like FreeNAS instead. I never got the macOS support to work anyway.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
EasyStore 8TBs are back, use eBay coupon PMAY4TH and they're $145 a pop (+tax)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

EasyStore 8TBs are back, use eBay coupon PMAY4TH and they're $145 a pop (+tax)

Seriously wish I could get drives at that price point in NZ.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What's the current hotness case for a NAS? Trying to consider a Synology like DS918+ with a custom build and really just came up with this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352047

I'd love to be able to put more than 4 drives in, though.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Hed posted:

What's the current hotness case for a NAS? Trying to consider a Synology like DS918+ with a custom build and really just came up with this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352047

I'd love to be able to put more than 4 drives in, though.

I use this one, personally:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452&area=en

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Oh shiiiiiit. I like that. Right now I'm running off of an old HP z400 and a Lenovo SA120; this might make me look at putting together a SFF FreeNAS build.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One of the Denverton Mini-ITX boards from SuperMicro (or AsrockRack, Gigabyte or whichever other cheaper manefacturer you choose to trust, if you want to deal with either lovely NICs or non-PHY gigabit NICs) with at least 8 disks (usually via Mini-SAS (HD)) in whatever CPU flavor you want should make for a pretty interesting little server.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

D. Ebdrup posted:

One of the Denverton Mini-ITX boards from SuperMicro (or AsrockRack, Gigabyte or whichever other cheaper manefacturer you choose to trust, if you want to deal with either lovely NICs or non-PHY gigabit NICs) with at least 8 disks (usually via Mini-SAS (HD)) in whatever CPU flavor you want should make for a pretty interesting little server.

I built two supermicro denverton machines in silverstone ds380s with 8 drives in each :v:
Ecc ram.. unraid.. I could throw up some photos

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The cooling on those weren’t very good last I heard and while the drive lifespan v temperature stats don’t show much their stats cut off around 42 degrees when most people’s home NAS systems can hit 60C in a white box drive cage (mine did at least before I got some more fans).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
You just gotta print one of these with your face on it.

https://blog.briancmoses.com/2017/04/creating-a-cooling-duct-for-the-silverstone-ds380.html

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HalloKitty posted:

I built two supermicro denverton machines in silverstone ds380s with 8 drives in each :v:
Ecc ram.. unraid.. I could throw up some photos

How far up the denverton product stack did you go? Did you have 2 cores, or 16 cores in each?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

necrobobsledder posted:

The cooling on those weren’t very good last I heard and while the drive lifespan v temperature stats don’t show much their stats cut off around 42 degrees when most people’s home NAS systems can hit 60C in a white box drive cage (mine did at least before I got some more fans).

What exactly were you doing that got your drives up to 60C? :raise:

Mine are shoved in a reasonably small box, in a closed closet, and generally are in the mid-30's while being lazy, and the mid-40's while under load and/or during the summer when I get cranky about turning the A/C on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Re cases, if hot swap bays aren’t required (and I kinda don’t think I would bother, personally) the Fractal Design Node 804 case is what I would get for a mATX NAS build.

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-804

Up to 10 3.5” drives in a nice little package!