Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

I'll accept that. I'm letting him off the hook this time, but I still think he plays it up too much.

v Just once. He better not squander it

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Evil Agita posted:

I'll accept that. I'm letting him off the hook this time, but I still think he plays it up too much.

I'll let him know you let it slide.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Oh right. Maybe the show of animosity is a thing for the podcast then.

Crittenden-Schrab update: about fifteen minutes into this week's episode, they talk about Rob and Spencer sort of running into each other outside "Eggslut" (it's a restaurant, I guess?). :3:

And Dan and Donald Glover aren't fighting or anything. :neckbeard:

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 7, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

prefect posted:

Crittenden-Schrab update: about fifteen minutes into this week's episode, they talk about Rob and Spencer sort of running into each other outside "Eggslut" (it's a restaurant, I guess?). :3:

And Dan and Donald Glover aren't fighting or anything. :neckbeard:

They were fighting? I thought Dan was just kinda fake grumpy about his success.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Drunkboxer posted:

They were fighting? I thought Dan was just kinda fake grumpy about his success.

No, they weren't fighting -- some people apparently thought they might be because of Dan's fake-grumpyness. Dan still only speaks of Donald with the greatest respect.

Also spotted in this episode: Spencer has a vape weed device.

Spencer namedropped Something Awful! :neckbeard:
(Not entirely complimentary about it. :()

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 7, 2018

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

prefect posted:

Spencer namedropped Something Awful! :neckbeard:
(Not entirely complimentary about it. :()

Being fair, he's not wrong that we spawned 4chan.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Old Boot posted:

Being fair, he's not wrong that we spawned 4chan.

And Adam Goldberg?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Whoever gave them the edibles for this week is a goddamn hero.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

And Adam Goldberg?

I’ve been reading here for 18 years, it’s on is that something awful has contributed to ruining my life. And bring back State Og.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hey Adam how's it going?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Spencer casually namedropping SA as the origin of all internet culture. :q:

...in the context of the incel movement :iceburn:

Efb

Edit 2 haha wow it's Adam Goldberg. Hey can you break into Starburns for us the next time they're recording and ask Spencer if he's got stairs in his house live on air plz tia

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 10, 2018

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Handen posted:

haha wow it's Adam Goldberg. Hey can you break into Starburns for us the next time they're recording and ask Spencer if he's got stairs in his house live on air plz tia

"Oh man...so many stairs...it's crazy..."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Have you heard about these Chinese Murder Stair-Cars?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Rick and Morty just get renewed for seventy more episodes. I can't wait for Dan to suddenly realize that he doesn't want to retire afterall and how this is actually the worst thing, live on Harmontown.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Holy poo poo.

That is a tremendous order.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea i thought the same thing. It's 70 more episodes and not just 70 total?Thats a whopper of an order. like 6 more seasons

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Didn't like... I know this isn't the thread for it, but wasn't 10 at a time kind of a struggle for them?

Someone is going to burn out.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Not Operator posted:

Didn't like... I know this isn't the thread for it, but wasn't 10 at a time kind of a struggle for them?

Someone is going to burn out.

Yeah I seem to remember in one of less recent episodes how Dan seemed to lament that if R&M weren't actually renewed it would be a load off his mind. He should get Justin and Ryan to guest on the show to get their take on it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They aren't doing 70 in a year or anything, I'm sure. They've had 10 episodes a season so far and each season has taken them a year and a half or so.

It's a gravy train for them now.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Dan's gettin' fit!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

YOOP!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Imagine going back to 2014 or whatever to the first Dave Klein episode, and being told that in 4 years he's going to be Dan's personal trainer. Also that he bought a gun because Donald Trump was elected president.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Dan the poor people - hating grumpoman getting a little aggro with Spence in the lastest eppy

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
lol the first time duncan trussell was on he was telling him to share some wealth to help everyone and dan seemed super uncomfortable

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
It feels wrong to be watching/listening to this on a Friday, because they didn't have the video up earlier in the week.

This Pemberton fellow has a voice that's slightly Schrabbish, but he's no Schrab. :colbert:

e: Vegetarian gravy? How would that even be possible?

KinkyJohn posted:

Dan the poor people - hating grumpoman getting a little aggro with Spence in the lastest eppy

Ouch, he really gets into it towards the end. :(

prefect fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 25, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

prefect posted:

It feels wrong to be watching/listening to this on a Friday, because they didn't have the video up earlier in the week.

This Pemberton fellow has a voice that's slightly Schrabbish, but he's no Schrab. :colbert:

e: Vegetarian gravy? How would that even be possible?

What happened?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

What happened?

He was mad at Spencer because of his "bit" to say "sounds great" or whatever in a monotone way. He was laying into him as though Spencer did something wrong, when in reality Dan just feels bad because he thinks Spencer is making fun of him. Basically it boiled down to "I'm putting myself out there, all you do is poo poo on me for talking".

Dan seems a little volatile lately (don't mean to be insulting), I'm guessing it has to do with the rick and morty contract because he also blew up at Jessica on his racism podcast in a similar way.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does he mention the R&M contract directly? I listened to like the first 45 minutes and so far it feels like one of his chore episodes that I'd normally skip, but I wanna hear what he's got to say about 70 episodes rick and morty forever dot com.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

prefect posted:

I barely got through the beginning because the Pemberton kid was a total slog to listen to, but Dan having a classic hissy fit might be worth a listen.

ElCondemn posted:

also blew up at Jessica on his racism podcast in a similar way.

Which episode?

EDIT: As a note, I'll admit to being put off on the podcast itself for-- I think it was roughly a year or so, due in part to his drunk ranting at some random kid on twitter, but primarily due to jerking himself off about it on the podcast itself. There's funny, then there's severe second-hand embarrassment. It was interesting hearing him bring it back up recently in a 'yeah I guess that was a low point' light by comparison, since-- yeah, I'm fairly familiar with alcoholic self-justification, and that was a tipping point into some bleak and un-funny territory. Soliciting the audience for support just came off as screaming 'enable me' through five megaphones as opposed to his usual one.

I'm glad things shaped up for a little while, but it feels like it's starting to fall back into a pit again.

Maybe it's just the shingles.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 26, 2018

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

Does he mention the R&M contract directly? I listened to like the first 45 minutes and so far it feels like one of his chore episodes that I'd normally skip, but I wanna hear what he's got to say about 70 episodes rick and morty forever dot com.

I don't remember if he mentioned it in this episode but he definitely mentioned it as something he was dealing with on Whiting Wongs.

Old Boot posted:

I barely got through the beginning because the Pemberton kid was a total slog to listen to, but Dan having a classic hissy fit might be worth a listen.

He's alright, I have listened to him on other podcasts and enjoyed him more. Also Son of Zorn was great so I just like him from that too.

Old Boot posted:

Which episode?

Latest episode (last of season 1), he apologizes about it a few minutes after it happened but it was really aggressive. To me it seemed like he was lashing out because he was feeling defensive about what he was doing/did.

Old Boot posted:

EDIT: As a note, I'll admit to being put off on the podcast itself for-- I think it was roughly a year or so, due in part to his drunk ranting at some random kid on twitter, but primarily due to jerking himself off about it on the podcast itself. There's funny, then there's severe second-hand embarrassment. It was interesting hearing him bring it back up recently in a 'yeah I guess that was a low point' light by comparison, since-- yeah, I'm fairly familiar with alcoholic self-justification, and that was a tipping point into some bleak and un-funny territory. Soliciting the audience for support just came off as screaming 'enable me' through five megaphones as opposed to his usual one.

I'm glad things shaped up for a little while, but it feels like it's starting to fall back into a pit again.

Maybe it's just the shingles.

Everything can't be amazing all the time, I think every episode is pretty enjoyable, it's fun when things go that way and it's interesting (to me) the rest of the time. I think what I like about the show and Dan is being able to hear someone talk about how they think. Dan talks a lot about how he arrives at his point of view and even if I don't share his thought process it's interesting to hear someone talk frankly about stuff most people don't verbalize.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The rant came off as Dan venting his insecurity over not feeling like he's earned what he has (tons of money) he obsesses over "building himself from dirt" because he wants to differentiate himself from every other rich dude who made their fortune off the backs of other people, he can't accept that his success has an element of luck and privilege to it so he lashes out and desperately tried to compensate for his insecurity.
That's how it came off to me at least.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Dan clearly has some kind of issue with authority, but he’s the boss now and I think that roils his brain up a bit. It’s also why a lot of his most unjustified rants are about people with limited, momentary, authority over him: doctors, TSA, bartenders, etc.

Welp thank you for reading my Dan Brain fanfic, follow me at @DansBustedBrain on Twitter and insta

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I mean if you're gonna armchair psychoanalyse someone, you can do worse than Dan Harmon. He talks about his problems and deficiencies enough publicly to give an appropriately attentive person enough to go on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ace of Baes posted:

The rant came off as Dan venting his insecurity over not feeling like he's earned what he has (tons of money) he obsesses over "building himself from dirt" because he wants to differentiate himself from every other rich dude who made their fortune off the backs of other people, he can't accept that his success has an element of luck and privilege to it so he lashes out and desperately tried to compensate for his insecurity.

I think you're mostly right -- in the back of his head, he almost certainly recognizes how important luck was for him. He's talked about it in the context of diversity hiring, where he used to be completely blind but eventually realized that younger him had been a dumbass.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

ElCondemn posted:

Everything can't be amazing all the time, I think every episode is pretty enjoyable, it's fun when things go that way and it's interesting (to me) the rest of the time. I think what I like about the show and Dan is being able to hear someone talk about how they think. Dan talks a lot about how he arrives at his point of view and even if I don't share his thought process it's interesting to hear someone talk frankly about stuff most people don't verbalize.

Oh yeah, normally I find it pretty interesting/entertaining. That particular instance put me off even if it might not have others, largely because it was such a garden-variety solicitation for approval. Whether or not he was right to blow some random kid out of the water to such an absurd degree is almost trivial; it was the appeal to his fanbase after the fact (read: after he got called on it) that made me decide that I needed to take a break. There's 'frank' and then there's 'oh, this is going places, and I've already had a front row seat for it, so I'll just pass.'

You see enough people blow up their lives via alcoholism - and do everything they can to excuse how they behave under the influence - it stops being funny and cycles around into depressing when classic red flags start being waved. But again: what I find exhausting, other people will just find fascinating (or just funny). Usually it was low key enough that it could stand up as a bizarre parody, but that was a little too real, given the timing, with the ultimate problem of 'nothing of value was learned or gained' underlying the whole "event."

As for the recent trajectory, the last few episodes have just been a little underwhelming. The show is hit and miss usually, but it's felt like a continuous series of misses.

That said, I'm night shift and get bored frequently, so I'll probably still listen. :shrug: Now, this--

Ace of Baes posted:

--this is so quintessentially Wisconsin-Midwestern Bootstrapping that it's honestly pretty funny, and what's funnier is I seem to recall Dan complaining about it before. Mostly about the time when he was on the receiving end of it.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 26, 2018

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dan using the last harmontown to insult most of his fanbase and the last whiting wongs to insult his writing room was pretty smooth on his part.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pee is yellow and poop is brown.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Here I am at,
Har mon towwwwn

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Haven't listened to the Dino-and-Andy podcast in a while, checked in to find out Andy has been 86d from Starburns studios. The podcast is now Dino, Dana Snyder (Master Shake), Spencer, and Tish (she works at Starburns). This could be good. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

prefect posted:

Haven't listened to the Dino-and-Andy podcast in a while, checked in to find out Andy has been 86d from Starburns studios. The podcast is now Dino, Dana Snyder (Master Shake), Spencer, and Tish (she works at Starburns). This could be good. :thunk:

Who did Andy show his dick to to get banned from Starburns?