Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Also 20 NES games at launch is way better than I thought and some of those will be really fun with online play. Hope it won't always be limited to NES but I had braced myself to just get like Balloon Fight at launch and nothing else lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Either way it's kinda underwhelming but if anyone wants to put in the effort to buy an 8-person family plan for a year together (I am down) it will come out to like a little over $4/year for the service so I can't really bitch about it lol

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I guess cloud saves are better than nothing until they let you back your saves up on SD card

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'm holding out for snes games but it's a good start. nintendo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/the_virtual_console_isnt_coming_to_switch_nintendo_confirms

quote:

There are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

suck my loving dick nintendo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fuckin weak. i hope that means that they'll put them on the online though, somethin like snes hyper fighting edition or kirby golf with netplay would be The poo poo

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Fungah! posted:

fuckin weak. i hope that means that they'll put them on the online though, somethin like snes hyper fighting edition or kirby golf with netplay would be The poo poo

wave race 64...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i hope this just means theyre gonna go about it a different way instead of not offering classics at all

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

i hope this just means theyre gonna go about it a different way instead of not offering classics at all

yeah, i think it just means they're not going to do the a la carte thing. idk, still bites rear end

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

I guess cloud saves are better than nothing until they let you back your saves up on SD card

Lol they disallow that not for technical reasons but bc they thought people would be able to modify save games and hack the system easily.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

extremebuff posted:

:rolleyes:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wasnt Virtual Console just a brand term for digital versions of old games, which they're already doing on the switch and every other console now anyway. It just means we wont see the word Virtual Console on astore front

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ninty makes perfect portable emulating device, is "not interested tbh" in porting classics to it

im really happy with my switch but they have their head up their rear end on this. unless they plan to have a huge catalogue of games available through switch online. maybe we'll see at e3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hell its what the rest of the quote says "There are a variety of ways in which classic games from Nintendo and other publishers are made available on Nintendo Switch, such as through Nintendo Switch Online, Nintendo eShop or as packaged collections."

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Wasnt Virtual Console just a brand term for digital versions of old games, which they're already doing on the switch and every other console now anyway. It just means we wont see the word Virtual Console on astore front

they should say that specifically then instead of "no VC" and the switch being completely dry on classics for a year unlike all their other systems isnt a good sign

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

emoji posted:

Lol they disallow that not for technical reasons but bc they thought people would be able to modify save games and hack the system easily.

Nintendo is loving us again

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

extremebuff posted:

they should say that specifically then instead of "no VC" and the switch being completely dry on classics for a year unlike all their other systems isnt a good sign

frankly, i think the switch's line up thus far has been all classics

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Retroarch is on it already so if they don't want my money I don't care lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/993846432380616704

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

hell i'd buy it since n64 emulation still stinks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

frankly, i think the switch's line up thus far has been all classics

this is true

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cool tweet from @9_volt88.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

when is the mini n64 classic coming out

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
give me dream course or go to hell

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

give me dream course or go to hell
It's one of the greatest games of all time.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I should be able to download and play any and all games and DLC I bought digitally on the WiiU/3DS onto the Switch. Same with PSP/PS3/Vita games on PS4. (It sucks that a lot of 360 games like Army of Two 40th Day, Ace Combat 6, 50 Cent etc aren’t playable on XBO yet but at least they’re putting forth some effort) The technology exists for all of this and it is possible despite whatever bullshit Sony says about the PS3 being powered with VRIL tech or whatever the gently caress. If the next generation of consoles also ditches backwards compatibility I’m going to be a PCuck retard for the rest of my life because if I buy a digital game I should be able to play it for eternity on whatever new system that company makes, and that’s the bottom line cuz Stone Cold said so!

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'll pay $20 for a year, because that's a good value, but give me some SNES love Nintendo. I believe in you.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I should be able to download and play any and all games and DLC I bought digitally on the WiiU/3DS onto the Switch. Same with PSP/PS3/Vita games on PS4. (It sucks that a lot of 360 games like Army of Two 40th Day, Ace Combat 6, 50 Cent etc aren’t playable on XBO yet but at least they’re putting forth some effort) The technology exists for all of this and it is possible despite whatever bullshit Sony says about the PS3 being powered with VRIL tech or whatever the gently caress. If the next generation of consoles also ditches backwards compatibility I’m going to be a PCuck retard for the rest of my life because if I buy a digital game I should be able to play it for eternity on whatever new system that company makes, and that’s the bottom line cuz Stone Cold said so!

agreed

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

basically this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theres really no excuse for the switch not having the entire first party wiiu/wii VC catalogue available on it on launch or close to it lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Companies will only add that stuff if they're not making money on the games they're developing and selling, which is why Sony and Nintendo don't really give a crap about selling 2,000 copies of Ghosts and Goblins when they're moving a billion copies of Zelda and God of War

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ghosts n Goblins is, except for a few plot elements, basically the same as God of War

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the nes port of ghosts and goblins is trash as all true gamers konw. gently caress you all

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mysterious loyall X posted:

the nes port of ghosts and goblins is trash as all true gamers konw. gently caress you all

this

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
i cant wait for e3 to find out if i have to do an online check to play said copy of ghosts and goblins

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i should be allowed to play balloon fight outside of wifi if I want to

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

i should be allowed to play balloon fight outside of wifi if I want to

They clarified you don't need to be online to use the Switch NES games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

well I'll be