Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

today in windows doesn't know how to use windows: powerpoint popped a save confirmation dialog behind the focused window showing the save location box, effectively blocking the application from receiving any input

30 loving years and they still can't make a window focus model that works

p-p-post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY6aJKki3AM

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

satya starts at 13:40, worth listening to for just the crushing awkwardness of this part alone:

the ceo of microsoft talking to a bunch of developers at a microsoft technical conference posted:

good morning! and welcome to build 2018, welcome to seattle, it's fantastic to see you all back here.

you know, this morning i got up and uh i was reading the news, and uh i hear bill gates was talking about stock, um, and he's talking about the apple stock, and i said "wow, in the thirty years since at least i've known bill, i've never seen him talk about stock," but today must be a new day for sure, uh when you hear bill talk about apple stock, so that's the new microsoft for you.

*nervous laughter and applause from audience*

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol you werent kidding about the nervous laughter

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pram posted:

lol you werent kidding about the nervous laughter

yeeeesh

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Opening with off the cuff remarks and trying to figure out midway through just where the gently caress his line of thought is going. Wow. That's almost as idiotic as his advice to women in tech to not ask for raises and just trust their bosses to do what's right.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh god kill me

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah oof that was painful. also i think he is drunk or something, he takes like five second pauses between words

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Microsoft gives you brain worms. I know, I work mostly with Microsoft people.

I've had calls with Microsoft employees where after 10 minutes talking I don't know what the gently caress they're talking about. Everything has to be secretive and worded so they don't have any responsibility in anything, it's scary

I've legit had a 1 hour meeting where the dude was talking for 55 minutes and in 5 minutes and one sentence I resumed everything he said and what he wanted

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

orange sky posted:

Microsoft gives you brain worms. I know, I work mostly with Microsoft people.

I've had calls with Microsoft employees where after 10 minutes talking I don't know what the gently caress they're talking about. Everything has to be secretive and worded so they don't have any responsibility in anything, it's scary

I've legit had a 1 hour meeting where the dude was talking for 55 minutes and in 5 minutes and one sentence I resumed everything he said and what he wanted

why did it take you 5 minutes for only one sentence? that's a hell of a run-on

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

univbee posted:

why did it take you 5 minutes for only one sentence? that's a hell of a run-on

orange sky caught the brain worm :ohdear:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

That was obviously hyperbolic you bullies

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
Now in Excel; Javascript and AI lol

https://dev.office.com/blogs/azure-...ties-with-excel

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"give us python in excel" yells the masses

"how about javascript?" says ms

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
just received a new 6th gen lenovo x1 carbon, and powered it on for the first time, its running windows just long enough to check for/install firmware updates, then wiping it for linux

holy poo poo is the initial setup "Hi there! :)" bullshit infuriating

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lysidas posted:

just received a new 6th gen lenovo x1 carbon, and powered it on for the first time, its running windows just long enough to check for/install firmware updates, then wiping it for linux

holy poo poo is the initial setup "Hi there! :)" bullshit infuriating

what's the laptop like? gonna get one of those (but I'm gonna have to run W10)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

orange sky posted:

what's the laptop like? gonna get one of those (but I'm gonna have to run W10)

it smells like new plastic, doesnt look too different than the 3rd gen x1 carbon im typing this from

the keyboard seems better though, which is good because my R key popped off on this 3g one about a year ago and ive never bothered to replace it

i got the ultra dock with it, the machine lacks a mini display port connector, but has hdmi, two usb-c

a nvme disk should be nice to use too ,compared to the sata ssd in the 3rd gen

orange sky posted:

(but I'm gonna have to run W10)

that is a terrible idea, dont do that

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojZioTg5RUk

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Oh, it's the weird looking guy

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Boiled Water posted:

"give us python in excel" yells the masses

"how about javascript?" says ms

Knowing how much of American business is propped up on Excel scaffolding, can you loving imagine how #disruptive and #forward-looking python in Excel would be?

This shouldn't be a hard sell to a company that really wants to enable everyone to continue to make poor decisions. Python in Excel would enable lot of very poor, long term "here's our kinda ERP." JS weirdness presents a high enough barrier of entry to most poo poo-tier businesses (read: most businesses) that they won't be able to truly gently caress themselves good by throwing their everything into financial_sprdsht_v3.1.1c_final.pyxlsx

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 8, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

:aaa:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/993876925150982144

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Potato Salad posted:

Knowing how much of American business is propped up on Excel scaffolding, can you loving imagine how #disruptive and #forward-looking python in Excel would be?

This shouldn't be a hard sell to a company that really wants to enable everyone to continue to make poor decisions. Python in Excel would enable lot of very poor, long term "here's our kinda ERP." JS weirdness presents a high enough barrier of entry to most poo poo-tier businesses (read: most businesses) that they won't be able to truly gently caress themselves good by throwing their everything into USETHISONEfinancial_sprdsht_v3.1.1c_final6.MikeB(no color).pyxlsx

fixed

orange sky
May 7, 2007

what happened

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/roslyn/status/993880378732527617

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
c sharp minus minus

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
:phoneb: Welcome everyone to the first Q2 product feature roadmap meeting, I've unmuted your mics, let's proceed. For starters, there's the matter of Python in desktop Excel. Thoughts?"

:phone: "Hi, yes, SharePoint Server product manager here. What would be my reason to exist?"

:phoneb: "Yes well we'll take that into consideration. It looks like our esteemed CEO decided to drop in on Teams for this one, sir any thoughts?"

:phone: "Good morning everyone. Yes, can you repeat that last question? I just woke up and I'm buying Apple stock."

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
:siren: HELL HAS FROZEN OVER NOTEPAD CAN DISPLAY UNIX TEXT FILES :siren:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I mean they went and built a *nix subsystem, why not spend another $50 and drop artificial restrictions on notepad

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

I mean they went and built a *nix subsystem, why not spend another $50 and drop artificial restrictions on notepad
weren't they going to put tabs or a ribbon into notepad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:aaa:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

weren't they going to put tabs or a ribbon into notepad

Sets are tabs, so I guess they were.