Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
For anyone who has read the Cradle novels (a currently 4 book series written by an American author that is inspired by xianxia tropes), the author has published an except from the next book on his blog: http://www.willwight.com/a-blog-of-dubious-intent/its-still-april-right-ghostwater-excerpt

The past couple of books had moved away from some of the more heavily Chinese fantasy inspired plot tropes, but this one looks to be diving back into it. Lindon seems to have found his way into some sort of pocket dimension treasure hunt populated by members of more powerful factions - a classic xianxia storyline if I've ever heard one. Unfortunately, I think that the author is mostly focused on writing a novel in a different series, so we probably won't see the rest of this one anytime this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
The Girl Who Bore the Flame Ring's translation wrapped up. I really like this author.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Furious Lobster posted:

It was definitely fun to see this kind of hybrid story but the main problem that I have with the writing is the hyper-nationalism where the main villains are pre-WW2 Japanese Empire down to complete farcical cut-outs who can only say variations of Baka and laugh maniacally. Honestly, it would be less stupid if they sported mustaches and twirled them in their cockpits.

Moreover, the sheer irony of the author taking mecha, which are basically Japanese in origin, but then also sporting the uber anti-Japanese nationalism which colors a lot of typical Chinese webnovels is just dumb. This is what it makes any further reading of the series unlikely for me.

Yes, that part is obnoxious but they don't show up that much since the story is mostly in the HP / battle academy phase.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Myriad Truths posted:

The Girl Who Bore the Flame Ring's translation wrapped up. I really like this author.
This has really weird juxtaposition - obviously intended - but that doesn't stop it from being really hard to read.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Katreus posted:

Yes, that part is obnoxious but they don't show up that much since the story is mostly in the HP / battle academy phase.

I like that that is an actual phase.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm gonna take a minute to recommend a series to you all.

Isekai Ryouridou - AKA "Cooking with Wild Game".

It's a cooking series, sure, but one with a bit of a twist. The MC is Isekai'ed into a barbarian hunter village where the main staple of life is a wild boar like creature called 'Kiba'. The villagers subsist off of that and a scant handful of other ingredients for their nutrition. The MC tries it and hates it, finds their food revolting. So he goes about trying to figure out how to make Kiba tasty instead of awful.

The fun part of this is the MC is not an OP protagonist, he's weak. Weaker than little children in fact. His sole skill lies in cooking and even then most of the people in the village think that food is food and it doesn't matter how it tastes Until he proves them wrong of course.

It's very fun, a good change from the usual and subverts some of the more common tropes nicely. If anyone's looking for a new series to read, I highly recommend it.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/cooking-with-wild-game-ln/

LH is doing translations for the manga adaptation but it's not very far along. The LN translations are further along than the WN.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I've seen that one pop up before but I always imagined that it was just the horrible JP WN trope where the MC gets sidetracked talking about glorious Japanese food for chapters at a time somehow blown up into a full length novel so I didn't bother reading it.

...do you feel that's an inaccurate summation? Because if so I'd check it out.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

sunken fleet posted:

I've seen that one pop up before but I always imagined that it was just the horrible JP WN trope where the MC gets sidetracked talking about glorious Japanese food for chapters at a time somehow blown up into a full length novel so I didn't bother reading it.

...do you feel that's an inaccurate summation? Because if so I'd check it out.

There's no rice, there's no curry, no mayonnaise, no soy sauce. There IS hamburger steak (Made from boar not cow) but the focus is on 'unfamiliar ingredients' and the efforts the MC puts into trying to figure out how to make things taste good when they're completely unlike what he's used to. He's just a novice chef and has to figure out how to make do with what he knows. The presentation of the food tends to be what he's familiar with (the aforementioned hamburger, along with grilled skewers of meat and ribs) but he doesn't try to introduce Japanese cuisine to the world, just tries to show them how to make their cuisine tastier.

So yeah, I feel like your summation is probably inaccurate. It doesn't feel like other food-focused WNs where they focus super heavily on japanese cuisine and culture.

There's also an interesting amount of village politics mixed in which works very well. Cooking for various different factions in the village, making friends and enemies and connections.

Also an Amazoness heroine who tends towards Tsundere. If that's your thing. I know that's mine.

khy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 7, 2018

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Takeru Kamishiro is an ordinary middle aged salaryman who was chosen by god to be reincarnated into a fantasy world in the body of a handsome young man in his prime with a MAGNUM DONG. Together with his huge dong Takeru sets out to learn more about the world while gathering rare and interesting materials along the way to sell for money which he can use to gather even more materials ad infitium.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Found my new favorite isekai.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, as wish fulfillment goes that's positively quaint compared to most isekai stuff

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hey, as wish fulfillment goes that's positively quaint compared to most isekai stuff

Not a single mention of slavery in the description. What is this genre coming to?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the funniest wish fulfillment wn i've read is a monster who levels up. sure, it's about a monster who levels up and gets stronger and meets a bunch of women, each of whom is somehow the most beautiful woman in the world. but that's all just extras that happen on the way to the real goals- to be tall, famous and rich, in that order. when i stopped reading it the mc just kept continually growing taller and taller and this was presented as a good thing despite how weird it is that the most famous person in the world is getting taller with each public appearance.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
All isekai is about the same thing and this dude admitted it to himself and just went, "I'm gonna write one anyway."

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

drilldo squirt posted:

Takeru Kamishiro is an ordinary middle aged salaryman who was chosen by god to be reincarnated into a fantasy world in the body of a handsome young man in his prime with a MAGNUM DONG. Together with his huge dong Takeru sets out to learn more about the world while gathering rare and interesting materials along the way to sell for money which he can use to gather even more materials ad infitium.

i think the funniest wish fulfillment wn i've read is a monster who levels up. sure, it's about a monster who levels up and gets stronger and meets a bunch of women, each of whom is somehow the most beautiful woman in the world. but that's all just extras that happen on the way to the real goals- to be tall, famous and rich, in that order. when i stopped reading it the mc just kept continually growing taller and taller and this was presented as a good thing despite how weird it is that the most famous person in the world is getting taller with each public appearance.
Obviously the next step is to combine the two.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Strongly considering going on hiatus from translating Bookworm until I get off of my diet, because we're smack dab in the middle of yet more chapters full of multi-paragraph depictions of how glorious cake is. Girl loves her some cake.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

blastron posted:

Strongly considering going on hiatus from translating Bookworm until I get off of my diet, because we're smack dab in the middle of yet more chapters full of multi-paragraph depictions of how glorious cake is. Girl loves her some cake.

Not going to lie, after reading her obsession with making the pound cake better, I went to the patisserie this morning and inhaled a few kouign-amann.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I really hate your comments section.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

I've seen that one pop up before but I always imagined that it was just the horrible JP WN trope where the MC gets sidetracked talking about glorious Japanese food for chapters at a time

why does this happen so much anyway

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Yinlock posted:

why does this happen so much anyway

Food is an incredibly, incredibly huge part of culture. We have to eat 3 times a day, so every culture out there has spent time and effort into developing ways to make those meals as fulfilling as possible. Because of that, a lot of people get extremely proud of their cooking and their country's cuisine. Even outside of manga and novels, we glorify chefs and cooking - there's a TV channel dedicated to food preparation 24/7, countless movies about chefs and restaurants and food preparation, you name it.

Also, in googling the topic I have seen a lot of references to how immigrants have a strong tendancy to use food to combat homesickness - to relive nostalgic and happy memories. I wonder if authors want us to think their characters are doing the same, seeking out that tiny bit of japanese familiarity despite being thrown into unfamiliar and exotic situations. If you google about why food is such a big part of culture there's a fair amount of interesting articles that go into more detail.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

khy posted:

Food is an incredibly, incredibly huge part of culture. We have to eat 3 times a day, so every culture out there has spent time and effort into developing ways to make those meals as fulfilling as possible. Because of that, a lot of people get extremely proud of their cooking and their country's cuisine. Even outside of manga and novels, we glorify chefs and cooking - there's a TV channel dedicated to food preparation 24/7, countless movies about chefs and restaurants and food preparation, you name it.

Also, in googling the topic I have seen a lot of references to how immigrants have a strong tendancy to use food to combat homesickness - to relive nostalgic and happy memories. I wonder if authors want us to think their characters are doing the same, seeking out that tiny bit of japanese familiarity despite being thrown into unfamiliar and exotic situations. If you google about why food is such a big part of culture there's a fair amount of interesting articles that go into more detail.

i know people love talking about food, it is literally impossible to post a picture of a pizza anywhere on the forums without starting a 3-page derail, but it is still astoundingly boring no matter how realistic it is

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Yinlock posted:

i know people love talking about food, it is literally impossible to post a picture of a pizza anywhere on the forums without starting a 3-page derail, but it is still astoundingly boring no matter how realistic it is

Pizza isekai when?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Yinlock posted:

It's one of the things I love the most in every isekai/portal fantasy I've ever read that has cooking in it

khy posted:

Pizza isekai when?

Well...

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Okay, I should have expected that but I'm still somehow surprised.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wanking about japanese food in isekai is lazy, is all. no character ever has their own preferences in food, no world ever has its own unique ingredients or dishes, so of course they all react to onigiri like they are made of heroin. mushoku tensei of all things did this better, where the mc was low-key obsessed with recreating japanese food but none of his family really cared for it. of course, mushoku tensei is godawful and even the laziest food isekai where any random dish causes an entire fantasy world to roll around on the ground shrieking "ooooiiiiiishhiiiiiiiiiiii" is still way better.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Chinese do it as well, it seems. Release the Witch has a few chapters like that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most chinese isekai wn's just have the entire multiverse be chinese

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Argue posted:

I really hate your comments section.

I’m just thankful that I only have to ban outright racist trolls once every few months. The three people yelling at each other about the historical accuracy of the use and cost of writing media I am perfectly fine to leave alone as long as they don’t start flat-out insulting each other.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

wanking about japanese food in isekai is lazy, is all. no character ever has their own preferences in food, no world ever has its own unique ingredients or dishes, so of course they all react to onigiri like they are made of heroin. mushoku tensei of all things did this better, where the mc was low-key obsessed with recreating japanese food but none of his family really cared for it. of course, mushoku tensei is godawful and even the laziest food isekai where any random dish causes an entire fantasy world to roll around on the ground shrieking "ooooiiiiiishhiiiiiiiiiiii" is still way better.

also while its not a web novel if there's anybody who is reading this thread who hasn't read Dungeon Meshi you owe it to yourself to do so

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

khy posted:

Pizza isekai when?

Go gently caress yourself.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm angry about pizza now.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Not enough cheese, or sauce, and the spinach should be put on after the oven you god drat clown.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Uhh that looks like a margherita pizza.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Qidian has a new story about a dude who gets a mystical book that can make him awesome at anything and the first page he unlocks is scallion pancakes which everyone reacts to like it’s sex, drugs, and rock and roll all mixed into one.

At least it’s not racist, yet.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I've been reading Kusuriya no Hitorigoto. It's a bit hard to follow the (extremely detailed) court politics due to the translation being flawed, but I'm liking it a fair bit. The protagonist is especially good. I didn't think there would be a protagonist even more divorced from reality than Maine.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

khy posted:

Pizza isekai when?

Isekais are competent only by contrast with the rest of the setting

Every other character:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

drilldo squirt posted:

Not enough cheese, or sauce, and the spinach should be put on after the oven you god drat clown.

Jackard posted:

Uhh that looks like a margherita pizza.

Yeah, that's a margherita, so it's basil, not spinach. :v:

Also it looks loving delicious.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Neopolitan style, the original pizza. The good stuff.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Isekais are competent only by contrast with the rest of the setting

Every other character:

None pizza with left beef, the pinnacle of civilization.

Also, God drat Candy if you want unfamiliar ingredients and forcing the chefs to adapt to another world you might like the Ryouridou novel I mentioned. A huge part of the early components is the protagonist not knowing how to cook all these unfamiliar ingredients and he has to figure out how to make them appetizing. The ingredients are necessary for nutrition but one of them, poitan, tastes like muddy water. So he had to figure out the best way to make it appealing and not terrible.

He eventually learns what vegetables taste similar to tomatoes, garlic, etc. so he can make dishes which are more familiar to him, but it's still a big learning curve initially. I don't believe we'll be seeing him finding bean-analogues and making soy or miso anytime soon. I hope not, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

khy posted:

None pizza with left beef, the pinnacle of civilization.

Also, God drat Candy if you want unfamiliar ingredients and forcing the chefs to adapt to another world you might like the Ryouridou novel I mentioned. A huge part of the early components is the protagonist not knowing how to cook all these unfamiliar ingredients and he has to figure out how to make them appetizing. The ingredients are necessary for nutrition but one of them, poitan, tastes like muddy water. So he had to figure out the best way to make it appealing and not terrible.

He eventually learns what vegetables taste similar to tomatoes, garlic, etc. so he can make dishes which are more familiar to him, but it's still a big learning curve initially. I don't believe we'll be seeing him finding bean-analogues and making soy or miso anytime soon. I hope not, at least.

I started reading it and I'm enjoying it. I'm liking that the obvious love interest has cultural reasons for her cold behavior rather than just being a tsundere. I'm liking the protagonist's convictions in what he's trying to do.