Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm concerned that Frank Herbert perhaps did not love his dead gay son.

Yeah. He should have been remote with Brian instead...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I have vague memories of Butlerian Jihad. Someone mentioned the baby being thrown from a building, but it was so much worse than that. I'm going entirely off memory here.

So the evil AI overlord had a lesser AI act as an overseer or something. I can't recall the name, but it started with an E so we'll call it Eric.

Eric the robot would whip human slave laborers and administrate the various death camps. It began to grow curious about human creativity and experimented in art. That is to say Eric had humans rendered down and threw blood and organs at a canvas.

At some point a human noble woman was captured and Eric the robot takes her for a slave. They banter back and forth about what it means to be human or some poo poo. Turns out she's preggers (with the Harkonnen protagonists baby) and gives birth. Eric the robot is fascinated at first, but either the lady or her baby pissed him off and he chucks the babu from a balcony.

A bunch of slave humans see this and rise up somehow. Eric the robot gets dismantled, lamenting that he was finally figuring out emotions and wondering how this could all happen.

That's about all I remember about that part of the book. I think a sandworm ate a robot at somepoint?

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
You know what the scariest thing about those KJA/Brian Herbert abominations?

Some people like them.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I have vague memories of Butlerian Jihad. Someone mentioned the baby being thrown from a building, but it was so much worse than that. I'm going entirely off memory here.

So the evil AI overlord had a lesser AI act as an overseer or something. I can't recall the name, but it started with an E so we'll call it Eric.

Eric the robot would whip human slave laborers and administrate the various death camps. It began to grow curious about human creativity and experimented in art. That is to say Eric had humans rendered down and threw blood and organs at a canvas.

At some point a human noble woman was captured and Eric the robot takes her for a slave. They banter back and forth about what it means to be human or some poo poo. Turns out she's preggers (with the Harkonnen protagonists baby) and gives birth. Eric the robot is fascinated at first, but either the lady or her baby pissed him off and he chucks the babu from a balcony.

A bunch of slave humans see this and rise up somehow. Eric the robot gets dismantled, lamenting that he was finally figuring out emotions and wondering how this could all happen.

That's about all I remember about that part of the book. I think a sandworm ate a robot at somepoint?

Weird. I didn't read but one or two of those EU books, but in the encycopedia it says that the baby dies because the life support system in the postnatal ward was an AI and it determined the baby wasn't viable. Jehann Butler (sic) tries to figure out what happened and discovers the AI has made a mistake and starts a campaign to disallow AIs in important human sectors. She joins forces with a religious order (implied to be at least partially working for the Bene Gesserit) and wages a war against Richese with a minimum of destruction.

The idea was always half baked to everyone but Herbert because he only ever alluded to it. I really doubt his son and KJA's cymeks were in the story as they appear.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I had totally forgotten about that. The machines shoot out a bunch of Von Neumann Machines in a blatant way of setting up a way for the machines to come back as the bad guys in Dune 7 (which had not come out yet). One of them lands on Arrakis and gets eaten by a sandworm. It was complete throw-away plot point in the book, but after that chapter it became blatantly obvious that the whole reason the trilogy existed was for that single throw-away plot point to happen so that they could bring back their stupid robots as the Great Enemy.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

paul_soccer10 posted:

lmao the wiki summary for brian herberts version of the butlerian jihad

so loving lazy and stupid

I have an assistant AI program, which I name OMNIus because it helps me with SOME of my tasks yup yup no foreshadowing there now where’s that doctor that’s supposed to tear my brain out of my body and put it in this clanky Loony Toons-rear end lookin’ robot

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Frank may have been a bad father. Bruce should have died knowing his dad loved him. But brian was clearly not hit violently enough

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Robot Agamemnon throwing babies off of...hey wait here just one cottonpickin second

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

phasmid posted:

Weird. I didn't read but one or two of those EU books, but in the encycopedia it says that the baby dies because the life support system in the postnatal ward was an AI and it determined the baby wasn't viable. Jehann Butler (sic) tries to figure out what happened and discovers the AI has made a mistake and starts a campaign to disallow AIs in important human sectors. She joins forces with a religious order (implied to be at least partially working for the Bene Gesserit) and wages a war against Richese with a minimum of destruction.

The idea was always half baked to everyone but Herbert because he only ever alluded to it. I really doubt his son and KJA's cymeks were in the story as they appear.

That's the dune encyclopedia version, which Brian Herbert says is noncanonical because he wanted to make his own, much worse version

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
OMNIUS AND THE CYMEKS

i prefer goon-named LORD CYBERTREX 8000

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Did Brian write any sequels as well? I swear the machines return at the very end and the 2 leaders are literally called like Tim and Eric or something equally retarded

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
can't remember if this came up earlier in the thread but Dune Messiah has the Guild Steersman floating in a big tank and being somewhat deformed, so Lynch was at least not completely pulling that one out of his rear end

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Did Brian write any sequels as well? I swear the machines return at the very end and the 2 leaders are literally called like Tim and Eric or something equally retarded

Daniel and Marty.

To Brian Herbert's credit they showed up in the last book Frank Herbert wrote but he didn't explain much about who they actually were. I think "these are the lead thinking machines from the past" was in Frank Herbert's notes. Granted Brian Herbert might have been lying about that one and made up his own bullshit to go on.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Daniel and Marty.

To Brian Herbert's credit they showed up in the last book Frank Herbert wrote but he didn't explain much about who they actually were. I think "these are the lead thinking machines from the past" was in Frank Herbert's notes. Granted Brian Herbert might have been lying about that one and made up his own bullshit to go on.

Ok so the names are goofy as gently caress but I'm legit curious what Frank's actual notes on them were. Dunno how Hunters/Sandworms handled them, but giving them such obviously dated human names like that makes me wonder if maybe Frank would have presented them as actual humans, somehow involved with machine thinking and other of the more abstract ideas.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ok so the names are goofy as gently caress but I'm legit curious what Frank's actual notes on them were. Dunno how Hunters/Sandworms handled them, but giving them such obviously dated human names like that makes me wonder if maybe Frank would have presented them as actual humans, somehow involved with machine thinking and other of the more abstract ideas.

"programmites".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I doubt we'll ever actually see Frank Herbert's notes. I guarantee that Kevin J. and Brian Herbert were not faithful to them in ways that will be depressing.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Frank Herbert gholas now

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

maybe the next in line of the herbert estate has some respect for papa frank, and will disown Brian's nonsense and release the notes in some sort of unabridged volume.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Daniel and Marty.

He's almost certainly full of poo poo. Daniel and Marty are heavily implied (if not outright stated) to be face dancers that went out during the scattering and subsequently absorbed so many lives/memories that they're gods, or at least godlike. They're what the honored matres are fleeing.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Norman spinrad on dune excerpt I like

Thus Herbert portrays four levels of both the use of psycho-active drugs by a society and the corresponding levels of consciousness. The Fremen incorporate melange as the sacrament of a tribal religion. The Guild Navigators employ it as a pragmatic technological augment. The Bene Gesserit use it in vision quests and mind-melding sessions.

Paul Atreides passes through these three ascending stages on his way to finally employing the drug to achieve the ultimate level, to become the Kwisatz Haderach, the fully Enlightened One, able to view the conventional realm of space and time from the outside, as Einsteinian four-space, a consciousness rendered therefore prescient up to a point, an Enlightenment that turns out to be both a godlike power and a tragic curse.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He shits on bh and kja a bit too

http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1112

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Communist Walrus posted:

He's almost certainly full of poo poo. Daniel and Marty are heavily implied (if not outright stated) to be face dancers that went out during the scattering and subsequently absorbed so many lives/memories that they're gods, or at least godlike. They're what the honored matres are fleeing.

That's very much the consensus throughout this thread, but even if they're not, the whole point of the Scattering was an infinite plethora of possibilities so, as has been said a ton of times in this thread, it's stupid and lazy to think it was Lord Cybertrex rather than some entirely new threat rising out of the crucible of human expansion and innovation into a limitless universe come back to prey on the boring static Old Empire.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

phasmid posted:

Robot Agamemnon throwing babies off of...hey wait here just one cottonpickin second

I remember in Children of Dune, either Leto or Ghanima says something like "don't gently caress with me I'm an Atreides, a descendent of Agamemnon. But you don't know who that is, because he's so ancient my sibling and I are the only humans left who remember who that guy was." I read that and thought, "Oh yeah, Atreides is the name of the house of Agamemnon and Menaleus. So they're just being smug about remembering bronze age poetry, or perhaps in Dune the events of the Iliad are at least somewhat truthful or something."

But no, she meant the lieutenant of Lord Cybertrex 9001 from 10,000 years ago who should be mentioned multiple times by name in the Orange Catholic Bible if he was really such an important figure in the prelude to the robo-jihad that is the most salient cultural event in human history at the point of the first three books.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Leto even repeatedly visits old earth in memory. It would make total sense for him to goonlord over obscure ancestry

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

A bit in the Dune Encyclopedia I like:

Someone is introduced to a mentat at a party. Making conversation, she remarks that she's never met one before. He smiles and notes something down on a piece of paper, then says she can ask him any question she likes. She asks him some piece of trivia that was on her mind. He hands her the paper.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So I started. so far there's a weird kid who has dreams and some old lady made him put his hand in a box. His mum banged the head of the family or something and dad's not around much.Then there was another space family with a big fat man who doesn't like the new family coming in and is plotting. There seems to be people called mentants who may or may not be robots, or use their brains differently. No sex yet

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Murray Mantoinette posted:

That's very much the consensus throughout this thread, but even if they're not, the whole point of the Scattering was an infinite plethora of possibilities so, as has been said a ton of times in this thread, it's stupid and lazy to think it was Lord Cybertrex rather than some entirely new threat rising out of the crucible of human expansion and innovation into a limitless universe come back to prey on the boring static Old Empire.

Not to mention the extreme unlikelihood of Frank Herbert sitting down and thinking "For this next book I should probably do away with my universe's defining characteristic."

e: lol

quote:

SR: Have you read Brian Herbert's biography of Frank, DREAMER OF DUNE ?

NS: I don't have that strong a stomach

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 8, 2018

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

henpod posted:

So I started. so far there's a weird kid who has dreams and some old lady made him put his hand in a box. His mum banged the head of the family or something and dad's not around much.Then there was another space family with a big fat man who doesn't like the new family coming in and is plotting. There seems to be people called mentants who may or may not be robots, or use their brains differently. No sex yet

yup sounds like dune

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Communist Walrus posted:

Not to mention the extreme unlikelihood of Frank Herbert sitting down and thinking "For this next book I should probably do away with my universe's defining characteristic."

e: lol

Yeah that interviewee had more wit and subtlety in just that tiny 90s webring-style interview than KJA could aspire to in his life.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I love how in that summary of the Butlerian Jihad how forced the notion of Jihad is just crammed in there. "The robots all became evil and started killing people, so the people all rose up in a kind of.. jihad... to stop them."

I'm curious if there any record of what Stanislaw Lem thought of Frank Herbert. He didn't seem overly fond of much american sci-fi and thought it was largely written to make money rather than to challenge ideas and the like, so I'd be curious if he even made mention of Dune since it's obvious got a lot more going for it than the average sci fi book about LORD CYBERTREX 8000 or what have you.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Mentats are basically people who have learned how to be rainmen through training, and are used to perform really accurate inductive reasoning.

Cultivated and weaponized autism.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Zeniel posted:

I'm curious if there any record of what Stanislaw Lem thought of Frank Herbert. He didn't seem overly fond of much american sci-fi and thought it was largely written to make money rather than to challenge ideas and the like, so I'd be curious if he even made mention of Dune since it's obvious got a lot more going for it than the average sci fi book about LORD CYBERTREX 8000 or what have you.
Sadly he didn't go on record about it. Probably because he was specifically created by the KGB to torment Dick, not Herbert.

Lukewarm Gazpacho
Aug 8, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I once asked someone on here to make this for use on the "official" dune forums. They were run by Byron Herbert, and he loved to talk about how his father found the super secret outline of the future of the Dune universe. FART

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zeniel posted:

As stated above, there doesn't seem to be record of any, but let's look at it this way, Lem's main body of work focused on man's inability to truly or meaningfully contact alien life (Fiasco, HMV, Eden, Solaris), whereas Dune is about a group of humans who've managed to integrate themselves deeply into the alien ecology of a strange planet. Now, what Stanislaw might've thought about the quality of world-building is a separate question I suppose, but the themes of the two men seem to clash heavily. He might've also found the heavy focus on military stuff off-putting :v:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Dune... desert planet

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Rappaport posted:

As stated above, there doesn't seem to be record of any, but let's look at it this way, Lem's main body of work focused on man's inability to truly or meaningfully contact alien life (Fiasco, HMV, Eden, Solaris), whereas Dune is about a group of humans who've managed to integrate themselves deeply into the alien ecology of a strange planet. Now, what Stanislaw might've thought about the quality of world-building is a separate question I suppose, but the themes of the two men seem to clash heavily. He might've also found the heavy focus on military stuff off-putting :v:

The alien life in Dune is not intelligent, though. A better comparison might be to The Invincible, where the protagonist sort of adapts at the end, at least enough to survive.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I forget, where did the Fish Speakers get their name from? Because with no context, that’s a really dumb name.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've been unable to shake the notion that it's a gay joke but i have no evidence

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

The alien life in Dune is not intelligent, though. A better comparison might be to The Invincible, where the protagonist sort of adapts at the end, at least enough to survive.

The cloud takes pity, or sympathy, on Rohan at the end, but at the same time Rohan comes to the realization that not every place everywhere is meant for man. The discussion the previous night between the scientists about destroying the necrosphere is exactly the kind of technocratic, military-minded hubris Lem set out to critique, whereas Rohan's conclusions are quite different. (spoilers about the Invincible)

That said, Leto literally becomes half-worm, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I forget, where did the Fish Speakers get their name from? Because with no context, that’s a really dumb name.

It's explained in God Emperor, something like 'early priestesses spoke to fish in their dreams'. I don't loving know, it seemed weird to me too.