Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JustJeff88 posted:

As a disclaimer, I recently lived in two different small cities in Georgia over the space of two years. I will be the first to admit that the state is mostly appallingly hot, humid weather and racism, but given the ludicrous CoL in NYC I find it very hard to imagine literally anything in Georgia (outside of Atlanta, perhaps) being more expensive. I once was offered a job at NYU; the wage wasn't bad but the cost of living is so ludicrous that I would have been working full-time for the joyous privilege of illegally subletting a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere.

The cost of food in NYC isn't very high though. Especially basic staples like bread, cheese, and lunchmeat, and especially if you can buy them in commercial amounts like a shop can. You can certainly buy super fancy expensive versions if you want of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

not everywhere has 'em. i just moved from nyc to ga and i'm having trouble coping with the lack of deli counters serving sandwiches. used to be i couldn't go ten feet without running into a place that could make me a sandwich, 24 hours no less. Now I think the closest place is the Wal-Mart?

also the prices for cold cuts here are INSANE

Ugh, what sad semi-rural burb have you washed up in that there isn't even a Publix for sandwiches?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you don't have a Publix you're basically a third worlder imo

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If you don't have a Publix you're basically a third worlder imo

Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia. Sounds more like if you have a Publix, you're a third worlder.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Yates posted:

Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia. Sounds more like if you have a Publix, you're a third worlder.
The Yankee scourge will never taste our Thanksgiving subs!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Gosh darn we'll have to settle for not being a bunch of inbred racists with bad taste in food I guess.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ryonguy posted:

Gosh darn we'll have to settle for not being a bunch of inbred racists with bad taste in food I guess.

bad news, you're already american

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Lol a Yankee trying to call out the South as the part of the country with a bad food heritage/tradition.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dameius posted:

Lol a Yankee trying to call out the South as the part of the country with a bad food heritage/tradition.

hey now, chicago is maybe another ten years from figuring out the difference between pizza and cake

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Southern food, also known as terrible food in places where black people and Democrats can vote

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Do people from the South actually still call people from the North "yankees"?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magic Hate Ball posted:

only when they move down here and complain about the climate and the food. yankee go home, we're full

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
To be fair, you guys do put mayonnaise on top of canned pears and call it a "salad".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

i do as a joke sometimes, i think the only people who mean it earnestly are older then 50

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magic Hate Ball posted:

To be fair, you guys do put mayonnaise on top of canned pears and call it a "salad".

have you seen the world of midwestern food, where "dish" is a category and not a container

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Bad news, friend.

The Publix Thanksgiving Sub is actually just an inferior stolen version of "The Bobby" from Capriotti's. The Bobby has won "Best Sandwich in America" at Zagat's annual competition in Las Vegas.

https://www.capriottis.com/awards/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

boner confessor posted:

have you seen the world of midwestern food, where "dish" is a category and not a container

I couldn't imagine living in a place so far from the ocean that the only concept of seafood people have is Red Lobster and frozen fish sticks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

mandatory lesbian posted:

i do as a joke sometimes, i think the only people who mean it earnestly are older then 50

God I hope so, I had to put up with it a couple times at my friend's house when I was a kid.

boner confessor posted:

I like a lot of the Scandinavian/Central European cuisine in the midwest, but everything else makes me feel like I'm literally eating minutes off of my life. They're always so harsh and one-note.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DrNutt posted:

I couldn't imagine living in a place so far from the ocean that the only concept of seafood people have is Red Lobster and frozen fish sticks.

Missouri has a specific law passed to allow restaurants, markets, and other places that sell fish commercially to call "crab stick" - AKA imitation crab meat that is made from processing several kinds of cooked fish, seaweed, and glycerin filler together and contains 0% crab meat - "Real Crab" and be exempt from truth in advertising laws, civil damages related to this deception (except for permanent injury), and supply chain rules.

The logic is that it would damage the tourism industry in Missouri if people were aware that they couldn't get fresh crab meat in Missouri.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Missouri has a specific law passed to allow restaurants, markets, and other places that sell fish commercially to call "crab stick" - AKA imitation crab meat that is made from processing several kinds of cooked fish, seaweed, and glycerin filler together and contains 0% crab meat - "Real Crab" and be exempt from truth in advertising laws, civil damages related to this deception (except for permanent injury), and supply chain rules.

The logic is that it would damage the tourism industry in Missouri if people were aware that they couldn't get fresh crab meat in Missouri.

:barf:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Missouri has a tourism industry?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No, but I did call someone a "carpetbagging gently caress" once in full seriousness.

Crow Jane posted:

Branson is Las Vegas with a head injury.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVFz3GLI-8s

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Crow Jane posted:

St. Louis, Lake of the Ozarks, several national parks, Kansas City, Branson, Silver Dollar City, The Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum, The Arch, The Lewis and Clark Trail/Museum, The National WWI Museum and Memorial, Jefferson City, and a ton of mountain ranges/hiking/resort towns all get a huge part of their money from tourism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I'm all down for the wilderness, but everything else in this video is the cultural equivalent of used corn oil.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm all down for the wilderness, but everything else in this video is the cultural equivalent of used corn oil.

yakov smirnoff? the "in soviet russia, thing does you!" guy? owned a theater in branson for 23 years until his retirement in 2015, and now teaches a course in comedy/theater management at missouri state university

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Vietnamese-Creole fusion is is worth the cost of living in reclaimed swampland on the Gulf. That poo poo is straight amazing. Same with Viet-Tex-Mex.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

DrNutt posted:

There is such a thing as freshwater fish.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

kittenmittons posted:

There is such a thing as freshwater fish.

mmmm fried crappies

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Magic Hate Ball posted:

As someone who lives west of the Mississippi I just laugh when the "south" and "north" argue about which shithole is worse

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ah yes, who doesn't love visiting Silver Dollar City and eating their world-famous crab sticks!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

self unaware posted:

As someone who lives west of the Mississippi I just laugh when the "south" and "north" argue about which shithole is worse
Shouts a man in a stained wifebeater across a thousand miles of blasted desert as meth smoke rises lazily from his trailer.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Lambert posted:

Ah yes, who doesn't love visiting Silver Dollar City and eating their world-famous crab sticks!

Seeing how that's right next to Branson, I think the clientele is either self selecting or there involuntarily with their grandparents.

So yeah, they probably love the gently caress out of some Crab Stick.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Shouts a man in a stained wifebeater across a thousand miles of blasted desert as meth smoke rises lazily from his trailer.

honestly pretty close

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Slap some trees and dead deer on that image and it's Pennsylvania.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Beachfront property ain't cheap, gotta make sacrifices somewhere.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The state doesn't have the power to do that, only the FDA and USDA can handle the regulation of such things. So if there's really a bunch of places calling it just "real crab" with no disclaimers, you can report that poo poo to them and get the places in question fined or even shut down. Most likely those places are using officially approved terms like "imitation crab" or "crab-flavored seafood" in a way suitable visible to meet the rules eg the same way spray cheese has "processed cheese spread product" at at least a certain size on the can.

It is pretty funny that they would pass a law to protect a Japanese food primarily produced nowhere near Missouri though - most of it is produced on the West Coast and most of the rest is produced in Minnesota of all places.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have been to the most arse-end rural parts of Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and other remote areas of the British Isles, but I had never found myself unable to understand an English-speaking person until I found myself in northwest Georgia. Also, and I say this as a Brit who loves his proper tea and iced tea, I'm pretty sure that "sweet tea" is really just sugar water (emphasis on sugar) with brown dye in it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JustJeff88 posted:

I have been to the most arse-end rural parts of Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and other remote areas of the British Isles, but I had never found myself unable to understand an English-speaking person until I found myself in northwest Georgia. Also, and I say this as a Brit who loves his proper tea and iced tea, I'm pretty sure that "sweet tea" is really just sugar water (emphasis on sugar) with brown dye in it.

Check out these guys from North Carolina and see if you can understand them better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7MvtQp2-UA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

JustJeff88 posted:

Yeah, that's because you're a Brit and your speech is closer to every dialect on that island than American dialects. I'd happily parse you some mountain talk if you could serve as interpreter next time I'm at a Subway in a remote Scottish town.