Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The India changes shown in recent dev diaries look amazing, I really hope that the rework to Burma is enough to generally keep Ming from getting their stupid tentacles into the subcontinent. With that and all of the new regional formables I can see India being a very dynamic region, but if Ming still quickly make many of the minors into tributaries it's going to be a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i hope one of the new burmese tags have burmese ideas, and also are tribal

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Drone posted:

My issue's with the decision to become Hanover. The tooltip says that you can only do it when you are A.) no longer part of the HRE, or B.) an Elector. On top of that, the wiki says that another way to satisfy the requirement is to become Emperor. So yeah, I'm Emperor and not an Elector, and I still can't take the Hanover decision. I guess the wiki is wrong, and it's a little frustrating (if for nothing else than it means I have to miss out on the sweet flag of Hanover and the non-generic national ideas).

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Hanover

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that being the emperor allows the decision. Like you said, you have to either be an elector or not part of the HRE. Are you maybe misreading something?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fister Roboto posted:

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Hanover

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that being the emperor allows the decision. Like you said, you have to either be an elector or not part of the HRE. Are you maybe misreading something?

On the HRE page:

quote:

Non-electors forming nations results in those nations leaving the HRE, unless they are the emperor (e.g. if Holland is the emperor, Holland can form the Netherlands without leaving the HRE).

I'm guessing either that text is out-of-date, or the requirement is (for whatever dumb reason?) only applicable to certain formable nations and not all of them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think it just means that if you meet either of the two requirements AND are the emperor, you won’t leave the HRE when you take the decision, which you would otherwise.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drone posted:

On the HRE page:

I'm guessing either that text is out-of-date, or the requirement is (for whatever dumb reason?) only applicable to certain formable nations and not all of them.

You’re conflating a general principle (can’t be kicked out of the HRE by forming a nation if you are elector or emperor) with a specific requirement for THIS formation (can’t form Hanover unless you are an elector or not in the empire, doesn’t matter whether you are emperor or not).

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Well now, that's the first time I've seen the AI form Mughals, nice work Timurids!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

The India changes shown in recent dev diaries look amazing, I really hope that the rework to Burma is enough to generally keep Ming from getting their stupid tentacles into the subcontinent. With that and all of the new regional formables I can see India being a very dynamic region, but if Ming still quickly make many of the minors into tributaries it's going to be a pain.

What does your heart tell you? Do you think they will adjust Ming at all with this expansion? I mean the ideas are out there, it's just in the last two expansions they've shown they are not willing to fix it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

What does your heart tell you? Do you think they will adjust Ming at all with this expansion? I mean the ideas are out there, it's just in the last two expansions they've shown they are not willing to fix it.

They do seem to acknowledge that it's a problem though.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Whew, it's been a long time since I took a game to 1821 but I hit tech 32 at 1810 and figured why not at that point.

Good run for achievements.

Here's the military screen, 16/5 leaders :v:

Also I stopped drilling around 1710 and got professionalism (when I needed it) solely by making generals.

This is far and away the best economy I've ever had, If I had another 20ish years I could have hit the ducat cap.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Detheros posted:

Well now, that's the first time I've seen the AI form Mughals, nice work Timurids!

My ongoing Coptic Ottoman HRE game also features a mega-Timurid-Mughal state. Like, it spans the Urals, a huge chunk of Central Asia, Mesopotamia and northern India. It's my own fault though, I decapitated Muscovy and ruined the Mamluks and then became too preoccupied with Europe.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Detheros posted:

Whew, it's been a long time since I took a game to 1821 but I hit tech 32 at 1810 and figured why not at that point.

Good run for achievements.

Here's the military screen, 16/5 leaders :v:

Also I stopped drilling around 1710 and got professionalism (when I needed it) solely by making generals.

This is far and away the best economy I've ever had, If I had another 20ish years I could have hit the ducat cap.
Putting the wealth in the Commonwealth. :v:

10k development? Nice.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

nice Goguryeo

Tahirovic posted:

It does actively gently caress things in eastern India, whereas it wasn't directly relevant to the other expansions that have come since MoH. Other than the Russia one I suppose but I think the European side of that was what they focused on more.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Detheros posted:

So Reman in his videos said not to drill armies, so I haven't been. Should I?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ava's 50 new tributaries are really rustling up my theorycrafting about using manipur to flip taungu to a horde 😠

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

This is not a thing he has ever said.

Why are people in this thread so bad at taking advice?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

Don't drill armies to have drilled armies, drill them to get high professionalism.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Like I'm not trying to be a dick, but there is a constant problem here with people asking for advice on when to do X, people saying "well X has some pretty serious drawbacks so don't do X all the time" and that getting interpreted as "literally never do X".

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

sloshmonger posted:

Don't drill armies to have drilled armies, drill them to get high professionalism.

There's situations where having that extra combat ability will be very decisive.

i.e. essentially exactly what Fister Roboto said

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

drilling isn't bad it just sucks and is very short lived and i'm usually using my units to fight instead of accruing professionalism

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

oddium posted:

drilling isn't bad it just sucks and is very short lived and i'm usually using my units to fight instead of accruing professionalism

This.

I'll usually only drill if I'm stuck in a regency, otherwise I demand my pixelmen die for the glory of whatever country I'm running into the ground.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

JerikTelorian posted:

So Reman in his videos

This line alone is probably the single worst thing about weird fetish worship of people who make videos.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reman does make exceptionally good videos though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
No doubt. But taking everything as gospel and never, ever going outside some very narrow preset without realizing they're just guidelines leads to all the weird stuff like believing drilling is never good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Reman has never said to never drill though, lol. It would be one thing if the guy was taking Reman's advice as the gospel, but he's not even doing that.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Like I'm not trying to be a dick, but there is a constant problem here with people asking for advice on when to do X, people saying "well X has some pretty serious drawbacks so don't do X all the time" and that getting interpreted as "literally never do X".

Rynoto posted:

No doubt. But taking everything as gospel and never, ever going outside some very narrow preset without realizing they're just guidelines leads to all the weird stuff like believing drilling is never good.

Fair points, but to be honest I'm on pretty much my first actual game of EU4 since vanilla, and it's hard to have nuanced understandings of obscure values when I'm still ironing out my understanding of basic mechanics.

I think this is the general problem with taking the stance of "just don't do X" because for most learning players that's a more optimal strategy than trying to use some feature, because it's not uncomon for some things to be really bad in this game when used incorrectly (many of the idea groups), while some other choices are simple and explicitly useful.

sloshmonger posted:

This helps, thanks. Is it gonna be worth actually doing even if I'm already in the 1680's?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 9, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Maxing out of Professionalism seems like it's always good, so do it if you can.

And I drill if my economy can handle it because I like having a blue bar.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I never drill my armies and I can still get to 100 professionalism and kick my enemies' asses so it's not like you miss on something if you never drill :shrug: it can be useful, sometimes even a life saver, but it's not required at all.

The beauty of this game is that, barring extra hard, gimmick, or WC runs, you can get by (and do it quite well) even if you take the suboptimal path on some aspects so long as you can make sound decisions and keep your poo poo together.

E:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Maxing out of Professionalism seems like it's always good, so do it if you can.

And I drill if my economy can handle it because I like having a blue bar.

And this, too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A better argument is that if you're not at war or preparing for one and you can spare the cash, there's no reason not to drill. How often that scenario comes up is another matter of course.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

A better argument is that if you're not at war or preparing for one and you can spare the cash, there's no reason not to drill. How often that scenario comes up is another matter of course.

I found the bit where he says that Drilling/Professionalism wasn't worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gutDqekiqc&t=797s

tl;dr: Mercenaries are still too good for professionalism to be worth much. I can't say I fully understand the point, though.

Edit: I apparently don't even have Cradle of Civilization, so it's a moot point!

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 9, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Again "not really worth it" doesn't mean "literally never do it". My point still stands that if you're in a situation where there's no reason not to drill, then you should.

Also keep in mind that a lot of Reman's advice comes from a perspective of super optimized hyperblobbing and world conquest, with the basic assumption that you're going to be constantly at war or as often as possible.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

TorakFade posted:

The beauty of this game is that, barring extra hard, gimmick, or WC runs, you can get by (and do it quite well) even if you take the suboptimal path on some aspects so long as you can make sound decisions and keep your poo poo together.

This right here.

That Commonwealth game I posted? No hired mercs at all. (I actually stopped hiring mercs when professionalism came out.) Also my troop composition was 15/10/20 when in hindsight I should have went 20/10/30. You can play suboptimally and more importantly imo, have FUN while doing it, and do as well as I did.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, Reman's advice is almost always objectively the best choice but the style of play is also extremely monotonous unless you're that particular type of person.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Koramei posted:

Yeah, Reman's advice is almost always objectively the best choice but the style of play is also extremely monotonous unless you're that particular type of person.

That's why his best videos are the deep-dive breakdown "Here's how this works" type rather than "Is it worthwhile to do X?" videos. His analysis of exactly how the various combat and trade systems work are fantastic, and worth knowing even if you don't plan to optimize a world conquest

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Fister Roboto posted:

I've found drilling to be particularly useful when I want the benefit of -unrest and I'm not worried about enemies jumping me too much. I had one time someone war declared me the month after I started drilling, but I was a little weaker than them militarily so not sure if it played into them attacking. But you get full -unrest value while drilling, and even a small amount of drill that gives you say -2.5% damage taken and +2.5% damage done is a fairly decent.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

So what's the formula for "Derise provinces" and why is it so horribly broken.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm real late to the party, but I just started playing again since the CoC changes to persia/the middle east and holy heck are they good. This is definitely my favorite region to start in now.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

I'm real late to the party, but I just started playing again since the CoC changes to persia/the middle east and holy heck are they good. This is definitely my favorite region to start in now.

Yeah it's super great, my only real complaint is that the Timurids are back to usually being an unholy terror if you don't gently caress with them early and fast.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah it's super great, my only real complaint is that the Timurids are back to usually being an unholy terror if you don't gently caress with them early and fast.

I think there’s actually good variability in the region right now. Tims sometimes win, sometimes Ajam, sometimes Transoxiana, sometimes weird random poo poo like Afghanistan. My only complaint is that it’s a little too hard for the winner to complete their regional dominance. Even if Tims do reign in all the vassals and consolidate into a lasting great power, you still don’t see Mughals forming often. It’s still much more interesting region than many others though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Is there any way to force a one province vassal into becoming a Free City? I’ve only got 6 going as Forever Emperor of The HRE, Austria and by 1600 I’ve only got the first 3 reforms. Only one center of reformation left in the world at least.