Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Sinteres posted:

It looks like Hezbollah and its allies won a majority of seats in the Lebanese election, though Hariri seems likely to remain as PM because the PM of Lebanon always has to be Sunni.

gently caress. So this means (for example) Trump and friends will have a point when they say "Lebanon equals Hezbollah, Hezbollah equals Lebanon", huh? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Spacewolf posted:

gently caress. So this means (for example) Trump and friends will have a point when they say "Lebanon equals Hezbollah, Hezbollah equals Lebanon", huh? :(

Well they only reach the majority with Sunni allies, and they still don't actually lead the country, but yeah it'll make it easier to blame all of Lebanon for anything Hezbollah does. I'm going to guess the brilliant 'kidnap the PM' gambit by MBS didn't help a whole lot when it came to the election, but if the intent is just to ruin Lebanon maybe it'll end up working out for him.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Orange Devil posted:

I'm starting to fear they place it in a context of "plucky little Russia under threat from all sides by perfidious Europeans homosexuals, fascists, Muslims, Jews, generic foreigners, or some combination of the above, just like with Napoleon and the Crimean war" rather than any examination of specific Nazi ideology. Is that correct?
ftfy

Russia is European when it is convenient (dunking on Muslims, East Asians, or anyone from the -stans) and not-European when complaining about gays, The Perfidious Jew, or fascists.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 7, 2018

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Rent-A-Cop posted:

ftfy

Russia is European when it is convenient (dunking on Muslims, East Asians, or anyone from the -stans) and not-European when complaining about gays, The Perfidious Jew, or fascists.

I'd deffo see the official propaganda machine going this way. I mean, if you've got that big a country, why not take advantage of it and claim whichever regional nationalist/ideological stance is most convenient at the time?

Far murkier is the popular consensus, what with that opposition leader to Putin being jailed and released as of late...but I'd imagine most are okay to just roll with whatever's the status quo if it doesn't personally inconvenience them, same as the rest of the world.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Spacewolf posted:

Already tweeted out by the Israeli Education Minister:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1I80FW

quote:

"Hezbollah = Lebanon," Education Minister Naftali Bennett, a rightist in the Israel's conservative coalition government, said on Twitter on Monday.

"The State of Israel will not differentiate between the sovereign State of Lebanon and Hezbollah, and will view Lebanon as responsible for any action from within its territory." .

Edit: Replaced PressTV with Reuters

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 7, 2018

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Hezbollah gave the previously marginalized shia in lebanon an actual voice (along with electricity, water, basic social services that the government never provided) and defended the country when Israel invaded in 2006. Of course they're loving popular.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Hariri's party lost 1/3 of their seats compared to last elections, mostly their Sunni vote. I guess the kidnap fiasco and loss of Saudi money got to his voting base. There are some strong Sunni politicians from Tripoli who can challenge him now to the PM seat, but he will probably stay on.

Hezbollah-Amal status quo and again cemented their political legitimacy.

Biggest winners seem to be the two nominally Christian parties actually, Lebanese Forces and Free Patriotic Movement. The former doubled their seats and the latter gained more by some clever political alliances.

Biggest drama was perhaps the initial report of a seat won by an independent candidate in one of Beirut's electoral districts, Joumana Haddad. Female, atheist, hipster by ME standards. But after a recount she lost the seat.

Overall, pretty low turnout 49-50%, in Beirut only 35%. So I guess the urban voters don't really care.

They are still counting the votes apparently in some districts.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

tekz posted:

Hezbollah gave the previously marginalized shia in lebanon an actual voice (along with electricity, water, basic social services that the government never provided) and defended the country when Israel invaded in 2006. Of course they're loving popular.
Yeah, learning about the background of Lebanon and Hezbollah in relation to the Syrian Civil War has helped me understand Hezbollah's continual popularity in a way that I was just completely unaware of before. "I'm supporting the guys who finally gave my village electricity and running water" is a good way to get popular pretty drat quick. I can legit understand why people vote for and support Hezbollah, and if I was in their situation I might end up doing the same thing. Politics is local, and people care more about keeping the basic social services going more than whatever dumb poo poo Hezbollah is doing two countries away.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lebanon is pretty bigoted towards Syrian refugees in general so starvation sieges go over pretty smoothly as well.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/993563017336967168?s=19

We'll know what's what soon in regards to the Iran Deal.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

OhFunny posted:

Do we really need to guess? Presidental manbaby ruins everything, everyone else tries to pick up the pieces.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OhFunny posted:

so its war than probaly because thats what trump wants anyway.

https://www.balloon-juice.com/2018/05/07/war-with-iran-a-campaign-of-catastrophe/

i wonder if we will hit vietnam casualty figures.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm betting on the longshot where D-Money gets peace with Iran and NK in the same month and then literally dunks over Obama's head on the way to the begrudgingest Peace Prize in history.

Unlikely? Sure, but if it happens I'll make a fortune.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/993579150173786112?s=20

My money is on 5

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

The Nib, an online publisher, ran a comic on the subject of Syrian schools by a Syrian woman.

https://thenib.com/education-in-fear-growing-up-in-the-assad-regime-syria

It's a short comic and a quick read so I'd recommend everybody interested follow the link and read the whole thing. Observers are pretty consistent in describing Syrian schools as insane.

Reads like a ton of the poo poo European colonial schools did across the world, especially for students from the "subject races" instead of the children of the colonizers themselves. And then mashed up with the peak of Nazi/fascist military schooling stuff. Very odd to see it continuing at the same sort of intensity.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 8, 2018

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
KA-52 brought down by manpads

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3623182

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'd put money down on 2.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Lol...like playing Russian Roulette with half the chambers loaded. Tho okay, maybe it is an airsoft gun instead of a real one...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lol sky news.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/992933144297848832?s=20

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

When we cant blame iranian agents, we usually go for secretive muslim brotherhood cabals and sleeper agents. Sky news arabia was also spearheading the media blitz on alienating qatar last year.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

Reads like a ton of the poo poo European colonial schools did across the world, especially for students from the "subject races" instead of the children of the colonizers themselves. And then mashed up with the peak of Nazi/fascist military schooling stuff. Very odd to see it continuing at the same sort of intensity.
Or you know what European schools did to poor European students for centuries until around 1 century ago. Not beating your children into total submission is only a relatively new development even in the west.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 8, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I think he'll re-certify, saying next time he won't.

I wouldn't want to put money on it though.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

ftfy

I would say the reserve is more or less true, especially on the forums when are routinely denounced as Asian barbarians etc etc. It is fun.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I think he'll re-certify, saying next time he won't.

I wouldn't want to put money on it though.

He's already done this.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm betting on 4 because that's the worst and stupidest choice in the list.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm betting on 4 because that's the worst and stupidest choice in the list.
That's the closest to a "gently caress everyone" choice so yeah probably.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
7. Doesn't mention Iran, just talks about his EC victory and rants about witch-hunts and Dems.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/993877703601291265?s=19

I think that all but removes any thoughts I had he'd be swayed away from doing this.

But hey 2 hours to change his mind!

Edit: oh they're going with 3.

quote:

The United States is preparing to reinstate all sanctions it had waived as part of the nuclear accord — and impose additional economic penalties as well, the person said.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 8, 2018

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
One of the basic things a country must do to consider itself a serious partner in anything is to honor their treaties and agreements. what is about to happen now is that america will have signed away any ability for people to consider any treaty with it as serious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Al-Saqr posted:

One of the basic things a country must do to consider itself a serious partner in anything is to honor their treaties and agreements. what is about to happen now is that america will have signed away any ability for people to consider any treaty with it as serious.

Luckily, China and Russia are waiting in the wings to take advantage of such.

....which was the goal I suspect.

https://twitter.com/KenWeinstein/status/993894618285535232

orange sky
May 7, 2007

What is the angle here, what can he possibly win with this besides money for the military industrial complex

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Luckily, China and Russia are waiting in the wings to take advantage of such.

....which was the goal I suspect.

https://twitter.com/KenWeinstein/status/993894618285535232

If the goal was to please Russia then they'd stay in the agreement.

Trump is looking to please Bibi and MBS, and their various supporters. It also keeps the neocons happy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

No, not really. Russia/China want to appear to be the reasonable parties to make treaties with, and throwing the US diplomatic reputation down the tubes helps that goal immensely.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Al-Saqr posted:

This trend has been ongoing since GWB unilaterally walked out of the ABM treaty, but this is a new low. We're back into might-makes-right.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Count Roland posted:

What does Russia lose if we withdrew from the agreement? I only see upsides for them unless the US withdrawing actually destabilizes Iran, which I don't see happening

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

What does Russia lose if we withdrew from the agreement? I only see upsides for them unless the US withdrawing actually destabilizes Iran, which I don't see happening

I think its a pretty good chance Iran is destabilized because of this. Or maybe not as a direct cause, but because it signals the US is again getting Tough on Iran and it edges things close to a military confrontation.

But its true, the US looking like a villain is not the worst thing for Russia and China. They'll take advantage of it regardless.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/993915220061052928

Something might happen?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/993915470591021057
e;fb

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, why might Iran be gearing up to rustle Israel’s jimmies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, why might Iran be gearing up to rustle Israel’s jimmies?

Israel's escalated from bombing their proxies in Syria to bombing Iranian forces in that country directly. They're throwing punches and then acting like Iran is the bully that's trying to start a fight with them. That's not to say that Israel doesn't have any reason to be unhappy with Iranian influence on their border, but 'we don't like who our neighbor is allying with, so we're going to go ahead and attack them' isn't something we accept from a lot of other countries.