Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
every time anyone from facebook talks about their ios app it sounds like the problem is actually too many of them working on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

every time anyone from facebook talks about their ios app it sounds like the problem is actually too many of them working on it

yeah

also they throw shitloads of money at very talented but very young programmers, who then quite predictably find very clever solutions to the wrong problems

like they wrote a custom loader for their ios app long before they finished merging its component dependencies

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the facebook app must be written in some garbage ruby or javascript bullshit or something cause its got the worst performance for the simplest app.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shaggar posted:

the facebook app must be written in some garbage ruby or javascript bullshit or something cause its got the worst performance for the simplest app.

it's mostly in obj-c afaik. i think the performance issues stem from 99% of its functionality being in trying steal whatever data it can from your phone.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
although i guess technically obj-c does fall under the some ruby bullshit category

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Update on my WebAssembly adventures: for ridiculous reasons, WebAssembly.Memory, in Firefox, is backed by a giant virtual memory store somewhere that's "UINT32_MAX + INT32_MAX" large. This is passed through to the GC, who then goes "oh holy SHIIIIT WHAT i gotta GC NOW" and causes an emergency GC collect. This happens for every time the WebAssembly.Memory constructor is called.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
why is that being allocated on the gc heap instead of being pinned from an object there, jfc

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Because the GC needs an accurate count of how much space it has to know when it will run out? If there's something I want the GC to be immediately aware of it's a large allocation that could seriously impact its ability to allocate in the future.

The memory itself is not part of the GC heap, it just informs the GC how much it allocated through a counter.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1459761

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

eschaton posted:

yeah, I didn’t just talk with someone that worked on ran part of PS4, he worked on our tools

so have lots of people who have worked on lots of other tools, including at Microsoft, Borland, Metrowerks, Symantec, IBM, etc. and even some of the people who invented the modern IDE back in the 1980s

so maybe if your only concrete criticism is “I couldn’t zoom in on a texture” you should reconsider using words like “embarrassing“

it's pretty sad imo that you refuse to even acknowledge basic criticisms like "apple is kinda monopolistic sometimes" in terms of how they affect development for their platforms. then again you're a rich techbro so your societal privilege allows you to hide behind "but you aren't complaining about a benchmarkable thing in a menu i coded". still sad tho

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

like just as a basic example of the hypocrisy here, it's great to be a proponent of accessibility systems. however this advocacy is kind of hilarious when you consider that most people with disabilities can't afford your fancy accessibility-enabled products

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Stringent posted:

although i guess technically obj-c does fall under the some ruby bullshit category

it obviously has some overhead, but obj-c is sort of shockingly not-slow for how dynamic it is. i've ported a decent chunk of obj-c to c++ (mostly for the sake of portability, not performance) and the difference between idiomatic obj-c and the c++ is less than a factor of two, and optimized(*) but not "why are you even still pretending this is obj-c" code is even closer

[*] usually meaning adding __unsafe_unretained all over the place because refcounting is slow

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
My nitpicky Mac development gripes (aka macOS is not Linux):

* gdb does not work ootb for weird reasons. And after signing the binary (??) with a key I just made up (???) it still fails on most binaries for inexplicable reasons on trivial cases.

* no strace and I can never remember the name of the macOS equivalent.

* valgrind is touchy and reports (benign but noisy) errors in system libraries.

* the default OpenCL comes with a completely useless CPU device that is anyway first in the list. Delete this.

* the loving file system is case insensitive.

I asked for a Mac mostly to try it out and get my software on Homebrew (most of my students use macs for some reason), and I've been fairly disappointed (also in general computery things like random crashes and peripherals not working). I've ended up doing a lot of my work on my home Fedora desktop over SSH. Did I miss the good years of macOS or something? This feels like a Linux.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Athas posted:

My nitpicky Mac development gripes (aka macOS is not Linux):

* gdb does not work ootb for weird reasons. And after signing the binary (??) with a key I just made up (???) it still fails on most binaries for inexplicable reasons on trivial cases.

* no strace and I can never remember the name of the macOS equivalent.

* valgrind is touchy and reports (benign but noisy) errors in system libraries.

* the default OpenCL comes with a completely useless CPU device that is anyway first in the list. Delete this.

* the loving file system is case insensitive.

I asked for a Mac mostly to try it out and get my software on Homebrew (most of my students use macs for some reason), and I've been fairly disappointed (also in general computery things like random crashes and peripherals not working). I've ended up doing a lot of my work on my home Fedora desktop over SSH. Did I miss the good years of macOS or something? This feels like a Linux.
you've been damaged OP

alternatively: holding it wrong

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
eh... fedora desktop is a mostly pain free experience. if you have to linux you could do worse.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
re linux: on the one hand it's currently at a state where I could install ubuntu 16.04 as a dual-boot on top of windows 10

on the other hand, it would still randomly cut and restore power to my usb sound device (causing loud static 5 minutes after I last played some sound) which I needed to do command-line tweaking to fix

and when I wanted to uninstall the dual boot the official grub uninstall guides left me with an unbootable system, but i had a windows 10 recovery disk + easeus partition magic so that got unfucked without having to wipe my entire os disk

so all in all, year of linux on the desktop! just not off the desktop, or with out-of-the-box working sound

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Athas posted:

Did I miss the good years of macOS or something? This feels like a Linux.

there was a period of time before touchbars you could play Doom on where macs had the latest and greatest hardware and arguably the smoothest *nix experience in a ui. at some point devs became more competent in linux, steve jobs died, and i loving hate my current MBP with its lovely keyboard and constant wifi/display issues. also its a great os if you like bash 3.2 and other outdated utils because apple is anal about GPL. but you can totally use brew and tap a keg to pour a pint into a tulip glass and harness the power of a lovely package manager that vomits emojis all over the term, if you want something from the last 12 years.

more and more devs at my work are dumping off their osx laptops and asking for a dell with fedora, so maybe 2018 really is the year of linux on the des

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my 2017 dell has been by far the worst laptop ive had experience to use. my current favourite thing is that 5ghz wireless is not working, with any connection attempts hard crashing the wifi receiver

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

you can't really complain though, that aspect of the wifi chipset is right there in the name (unless you actually have issues with one of the more normal variants, in which case i don't know what to tell you)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

dtrace is absurdly more powerful and useful than strace. it's one of the strengths of developing on macos, not a weakness.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you can't really complain though, that aspect of the wifi chipset is right there in the name (unless you actually have issues with one of the more normal variants, in which case i don't know what to tell you)

no, i have the sku with idiot WiFi

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
I wonder how much this will be Excel just copying Google Apps Script?

quote:

At the Build 2018 developer conference that's taking place these days in Seattle, USA, Microsoft announced support for custom JavaScript functions in Excel.

What this means is that Excel users will be able to use JavaScript code to create a custom Excel formula that will appear in Excel's default formula database.

Users will then be able to insert and call these formulas from within Excel spreadsheets, but have a JavaScript interpreter compute the spreadsheet data instead of Excel's native engine.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-adds-support-for-javascript-functions-in-excel/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Plorkyeran posted:

dtrace is absurdly more powerful and useful than strace. it's one of the strengths of developing on macos, not a weakness.

yes but they only know how to use strace so macos sucks for not having it because who wants to learn a new way to do things

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
why would macos lack strace? solaris (where they got dtrace from) didn't get rid of strace

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Blotto Skorzany posted:

why would macos lack strace? solaris (where they got dtrace from) didn't get rid of strace

You mean truss, strace is some STREAMS bullshit from the early 90s there.

All I know about dtrace is it doesn't seem to work with the output from my compiler (which creates statically linked binaries that don't link in anything, even libc, instead doing raw syscalls) buuuut my setup is old so I might not even have 64 bit dtrace I guess? and also obviously this is a hyper niche case. Similarly the Linux subsystem for Windows won't run the Linux output.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

dtrace definitely can log raw syscalls on macos

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

dtrace definitely can log raw syscalls on macos

In general, yes, but it seems to want to hook or attach to the process in some way first and instead, obscure error message I don't recall off the top of my head.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

as someone that jumped from ant to gradle, and thinks gradle is therefore wonderful, what's the argument that maven is better than gradle?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maven is declarative instead of procedural

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

shaggar is right

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Peeny Cheez posted:

shaggar is right
no

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Helicity posted:

as someone that jumped from ant to gradle, and thinks gradle is therefore wonderful, what's the argument that maven is better than gradle?
well the argument that keeps being thrown at me itt is that maven provides a build strategy to those who don't really care how their poo poo gets built. the moment you do care, maven will turn on you

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
maven: the choice of discriminating devs who check databases into source control

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Gazpacho posted:

well the argument that keeps being thrown at me itt is that maven provides a build strategy to those who don't really care how their poo poo gets built. the moment you do care, maven will turn on you

if your code follows standard patterns, either maven or gradle will just build it and you don't have to think about how that happens. in this situation it really doesn't matter much which you use!

if your code doesn't follow standard patterns, maven will encourage you to correct this so you end up with maintainable code, while gradle will encourage you to copy-paste 25 lines of code you don't understand in a language nobody knows into your build script, and pray nobody ever tries to build your poo poo with a slightly different version of gradle because god help you if they ever change part of the api (spoilers they change random bits of the api in non-backwards-compatible ways all the time)

which is why anyone sane wants other people to choose maven

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
you don't understand my build is special

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the idea of a universal "standard" build process is defective

leftist heap posted:

beep boop the apache foundation is always right

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

leftist heap posted:

you don't understand my build is special

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
as far as maven is concerned any build that produces anything other than a single library jar is "special". so... ... yes?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

maven is for if you care if it gets done correctly every time. if you want to build it differently every time use gradle or ant.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

as far as maven is concerned any build that produces anything other than a single library jar is "special". so... ... yes?

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

you can use all sorts of maven plugins that produce secondary artifacts tho???????????????????????????????????????????????