Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Seems decently ingenious

Mouse Oil Bowl Trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxxFNkNf6q8

Mice get in a small bowl get covered with oil and can't get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

there are many people who try not to kill anything at all, even spiders and bugs. of course it's not really possible to kill nothing but getting rid of a mouse without killing it is pretty easy

Sure but like anything that breaks into my house, steals my food, and takes a poo on my countertop isn't something that needs to keep living and I have never considered not just killing them as I always assumed they would just run back inside.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

Sure but like anything that breaks into my house, steals my food, and takes a poo on my countertop isn't something that needs to keep living and I have never considered not just killing them as I always assumed they would just run back inside.

many people wouldn't kill a mouse for breaking into their house and stealing food because they see it as little or no different than killing a person for breaking into their house and stealing food

of course on the other end of the spectrum there are many people who would kill another person for breaking into their house and stealing food

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Chillyrabbit posted:

Seems decently ingenious

Mouse Oil Bowl Trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxxFNkNf6q8

Mice get in a small bowl get covered with oil and can't get out.

My favourite is mouse number 4 or 5 who falls in and all the other mice are just sitting there licking their paws like, “well, we live here now I guess.”

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

many people wouldn't kill a mouse for breaking into their house and stealing food because they see it as little or no different than killing a person for breaking into their house and stealing food

of course on the other end of the spectrum there are many people who would kill another person for breaking into their house and stealing food

The "take a poo on my countertop" would be the deciding factor in both cases. That crosses a line.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

If a single mouse broke into my place and I managed to catch it it's entirely possible that I'd have a new pet all of the sudden.

As for condemning spiders to the death it depends on the kind of spider and thus the kind of area. Where I live most of the spiders I've seen come inside have been wolf spiders crawling under a door or through a cracked window looking for lunch. They're perfectly fine outside; they don't spin webs and aren't house adapted specifically. They just kind of run around a lot looking for bugs to eat. Granted I mostly just leave them alone. A few spiders can chill around my dwelling if they want.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My daughter wants to make a wall plaque for her mom for Mother's Day - it has a cookie recipe on it. It's actually a clever idea.

We have (she has) written out the recipe and we're going to mod-podge it onto a wodden plaque.

She wants to bake a batch of the cookies and then preserve one of the cookies on the plaque. If I dry out a regular cookie (let it sit in the sun for a couple of days) and douse it with a healthy dose of mod-podge (basically elmer's glue), do you think that would, uhh, preserve it enough that nothing bad would happen to it while glued to the plaque? Would it turn green or mold or anything? Or shrivel up and fall off?

I can make a fake cookie out of clay or play-doh, but it would look nothing like the real thing. Also, my daughter has her heart set on getting a real cookie on this thing.

Suggestions?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Make the cookie but load it up with salt, that will help.

I think most cookies will dry up and crumble before they mold so maybe try coating on in like a poly clear coat? Google around for diy prop food stuff for theatre, you might find some ideas

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I preserved some ANZAC biscuits for a museum display using spray varnish, something like this. Dried the biscuits out first in an oven set to low for a few hours, let them cool, sprayed them liberally with varnish, let it set, applied another layer.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Make the cookie but load it up with salt, that will help.

I think most cookies will dry up and crumble before they mold so maybe try coating on in like a poly clear coat? Google around for diy prop food stuff for theatre, you might find some ideas

Both the egg and the butter worry me - I was thinking about trying to go without those, but that's the binder and most of the cookie. The modge podge dries hard and I think would hold the cookie together.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My first instinct is to just make a mould out of a real cookie and use that to make something identical and paint it rather than try to preserve a real cookie. Not that I'm much of a creative or arts and crafts type of person.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

photomikey posted:

Both the egg and the butter worry me - I was thinking about trying to go without those, but that's the binder and most of the cookie. The modge podge dries hard and I think would hold the cookie together.
Google for Cookie Ornament recipes. They're just flour, salt, and water, and they last forever.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I looked into that. They're all for sugar cookies. I'm tryin' to make an oatmeal chocolage chip cookie. Although... if I put in some oats and some chocolate chips... how far off could it be?

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
I lost power yesterday and now it seems they've sort of repaired it, if I flip a light switch it comes on really dim and nothing that requires tons of juice like the furnace or stove functions.

Is this constant low power state dangerous to my stuff? I've read along those lines and I unplugged my computer and other electronic stuff but is this going to wreck my fridge, stove, or microwave?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

I looked into that. They're all for sugar cookies. I'm tryin' to make an oatmeal chocolage chip cookie. Although... if I put in some oats and some chocolate chips... how far off could it be?

First, Post the recipe, I love a good cookie.

Second, if you really want to get deep into this you could likely substitute the oats with some kind of wood chip, and sub out the chocolate chips for carob chips as I think those things are basically just dirt anyway.

Also, how old is your kid? Like this cookie doesn’t have to last for the rest of your lives, just long enough for your kid to grow up enough to be able to understand the futility of making a forever cookie.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If the cookie is made from perishable ingredients it will eventually go bad or start to mold, there's no way around that unless you can put it in a vacuum or something. Even if you somehow seal it with "mod-podge" there will still be air and bacteria inside and it'll mold or do something nasty until it runs out of oxygen, assuming it's airtight.

If you use oil instead of egg and butter they'll last easily twice or three times as long as they otherwise would. This is why packaged foods last forever compared to homemade.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I am one of those people, but mosquitoes can go loving extinct as far as I'm concerned, ecological balance be damned.

Interestingly enough, there was a study done recently and it was theorized that we could probably wipe out all mosquitoes everywhere and it would not be catastrophic. As in, there are more than enough insects of all other varieties to not seriously impact the population levels of bats or fish that eat mosquitoes or their larvae.

photomikey posted:

Keeping in mind that they don't have to taste good, you could do flour, water, oat and something inorganic to fill in for chocolate chips. Depending on how crafty you are feeling, you could get a tube of silicone caulk, mix in some brown paint/dye, then form into chocolate chip shapes. Let them set up and cure and you can mix them into the dough you are making.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xequecal posted:

I lost power yesterday and now it seems they've sort of repaired it, if I flip a light switch it comes on really dim and nothing that requires tons of juice like the furnace or stove functions.

Is this constant low power state dangerous to my stuff? I've read along those lines and I unplugged my computer and other electronic stuff but is this going to wreck my fridge, stove, or microwave?

It's going to make it impossible for your major appliances to work correctly, and you should avoid using them at all until you have your power properly restored.

The improper electrical supply is probably not going to break things directly, but it is dangerous to use.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

CzarChasm posted:

Interestingly enough, there was a study done recently and it was theorized that we could probably wipe out all mosquitoes everywhere and it would not be catastrophic. As in, there are more than enough insects of all other varieties to not seriously impact the population levels of bats or fish that eat mosquitoes or their larvae.

No poo poo? Well drat let's LOCK & LOAD :black101: :killemall:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Is learning to a play an instrument like learning a language in that unless you start before you're 10 you're screwed?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Methanar posted:

Is learning to a play an instrument like learning a language in that unless you start before you're 10 you're screwed?

not at all

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Methanar posted:

Both of these ideas are wrong, in fact.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xequecal posted:

Is this constant low power state dangerous to my stuff?
I believe that most well-made devices should just shut themselves off instead of trying to run on the wrong power supply, but simple, broken or cheap devices may not have such protections and could get damaged. I'd turn everything off just to be safe. :shrug:

Methanar posted:

Tons of people learn languages and/or instruments after the age of 10. :confused:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Starting an instrument super young isn't even necessarily a huge advantage. I was a professional saxophone and clarinet teacher for many years and the few students I had who started younger than 10 actually had more trouble later on because they were physically too small to hold the instrument properly at that age and in compensation developed some bad habits that took years to undo.

With piano and strings you can start younger, sure, and it's true that a lot of international soloists started really young, but lots of people who start at that age don't become international soloists too. The majority, in fact. And if you have the level of talent, drive, and luck that would have allowed you to reach that level if only you'd started young, chances are you're doing just fine in whatever field you chose and have the ability and resources to learn the instrument just fine now.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 8, 2018

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

honestly i dont think it's even a "brain structure/growth" thing like people say. the main problem with learning a new instrument as an adult is that you need to set aside around at least 30-60 minutes a day to focus on that. it's much easier to make a kid set aside time to practice an instrument than for most adults to make time in their own schedules to do so, especially if they haven't already had playing music as part of their lives/routines. and many adults actually give up quicker in the initial "I suck this sucks" phase

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I don't know about instruments or what Methanar had in mind, but there's absolutely aspects of language learning tied to being young.

For example, roughly between 8 and 10 months of age are when babies learn which sound distinctions matter and which don't in the languages they hear spoken by people (not TVs/audio) around them. So your Japanese friend who has trouble hearing the difference between "l" and "r" without context was doomed since before age 1, and if you don't already know instinctively how to hear distinctions between different consonant sounds that English groups together (like aspirated and unaspirated p/b), it will take more effort to parse spoken Hindi properly, etc.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dirby posted:

I don't know about instruments or what Methanar had in mind, but there's absolutely aspects of language learning tied to being young.

For example, roughly between 8 and 10 months of age are when babies learn which sound distinctions matter and which don't in the languages they hear spoken by people (not TVs/audio) around them. So your Japanese friend who has trouble hearing the difference between "l" and "r" without context was doomed since before age 1, and if you don't already know instinctively how to hear distinctions between different consonant sounds that English groups together (like aspirated and unaspirated p/b), it will take more effort to parse spoken Hindi properly, etc.

none of this means it is impossible to learn a new language later in life or that you are in any sense "screwed". adults learn new languages all the time. it takes more effort, sure, but its quite doable.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The critical period affects your ability to acquire language but adult second language learners can become fully fluent, so the perception that people have that you shouldn't even bother if you're out of your teens is Really Bad

Qubee
May 31, 2013

are there insurance policies that enable me to insure one product? say, can I take insurance out on my phone, so if it's stolen, or broken, or lost, I'm covered? or for a camera + lenses? I'm looking around (I live in the UK) and I see there's a home content's insurance, but I don't know if that covers stuff like cameras that I take out from the house regularly.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There's phone and electronics insurance but it's a small enough market that it's usually a ripoff ime

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Photography equipment insurance is definitely a thing

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Qubee posted:

are there insurance policies that enable me to insure one product? say, can I take insurance out on my phone, so if it's stolen, or broken, or lost, I'm covered? or for a camera + lenses? I'm looking around (I live in the UK) and I see there's a home content's insurance, but I don't know if that covers stuff like cameras that I take out from the house regularly.

Read the policy and see the clause on this exact situation.

If it doesn't have such a benefit, you may be able to add it as a rider.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ras Het posted:

The critical period affects your ability to acquire language but adult second language learners can become fully fluent, so the perception that people have that you shouldn't even bother if you're out of your teens is Really Bad

It's significantly easier to learn a language as a child. It's also far easier to relearn one you studied as a child or were exposed to growing up.

That doesn't mean it's impossible to learn as an adult. It's just harder. Anybody with the drive, time, and resources can learn another language. You can't always pick up the accents or match a native speaker but you can at least become fluent.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

When you screenshot an email/text and then blackout private info using Paint or Photoshop, are there ways tech-savvy people could undo the changes or see what's under the redact?

Basically, what are safeguards that a journalist should use when posting pictures or photos. I recall the Vice reporter from 5 years ago who unknowingly revealed John McAfee's location because their photos were still geotagged.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A lot of people are incredibly lazy and use stupid poo poo like semi-transparent black bars that you can just magnify and change brightness on to read what's underneath or use other effects that don't cover the text properly, but if you just MSpaint a solid black bar over whatever you're trying to cover, I'm fairly confident that that information is lost and can't be recovered from the image.

Just make sure you cover the text entirely, lot of people don't make the bars big enough so you can still make out the top bit of the letters.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

When you screenshot an email/text and then blackout private info using Paint or Photoshop, are there ways tech-savvy people could undo the changes or see what's under the redact?

Basically, what are safeguards that a journalist should use when posting pictures or photos. I recall the Vice reporter from 5 years ago who unknowingly revealed John McAfee's location because their photos were still geotagged.
In Photoshop? Maybe, depending on how you did it. In Paint? No.

Really this is highly context dependent. If I use my personal computer to make something in MSPaint and give it to you, you need to be concerned about metadata, but you don't need to be concerned that MSPaint used stenography to leak details about my personal computer in the image itself. If I use the FBI's printer to print a document and give it to you, you need to be concerned that the FBI's printer has printed invisible to humans information about the printer and me on the document itself, even though paper doesn't have metadata.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the mouse advice, I think I'm going to try the bucket thing.

On a similar note, why the gently caress do Mormons think they are exempt from the giant red NO SOLICITING sign on my front door? Is it illegal if I start spraying them with my hose when they knock because gently caress I've told them to gently caress off like a thousand times. If I get a big enough bucket and put a door on a plank in the middle of it can I trap the Mormons in it and drop THEM off at a park a few miles away?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

twodot posted:

Really this is highly context dependent. If I use my personal computer to make something in MSPaint and give it to you, you need to be concerned about metadata, but you don't need to be concerned that MSPaint used stenography to leak details about my personal computer in the image itself. If I use the FBI's printer to print a document and give it to you, you need to be concerned that the FBI's printer has printed invisible to humans information about the printer and me on the document itself, even though paper doesn't have metadata.

Most color laser printers will print identifying yellow dots on every page. It's why even if you only use the black the yellow will run out eventually.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Thanks for the mouse advice, I think I'm going to try the bucket thing.

On a similar note, why the gently caress do Mormons think they are exempt from the giant red NO SOLICITING sign on my front door? Is it illegal if I start spraying them with my hose when they knock because gently caress I've told them to gently caress off like a thousand times. If I get a big enough bucket and put a door on a plank in the middle of it can I trap the Mormons in it and drop THEM off at a park a few miles away?

Call the local Mormon church and let them know their missionaries aren't respecting no soliciting signs, and that you will call the police

Never mind, I looked this up and depending on where you live, proselytizers aren't "solicitors". It sounds like you need to add something like "proselytizers or missionaries". It may also work to call the local Mormon church and ask nicely that they stop sending people to your door.

Here's a couple links I used:
https://p2lawyers.com/blog/2016/1/31/is-it-legal-for-salespeople-to-ignore-my-no-soliciting-sign
https://www.mydoorsign.com/blog/no-soliciting-sign/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

twodot posted:

As an addendum to this, there are plenty of people - including people in positions of power and security - that think that if you create a document in Word, highlight the text in black, and save it as a PDF, that the text they highlighting in black will be unreadable.

It is still searchable, selectable and copyable, you just can't see it straight away. Hitting Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C and then pasting into a Word document as unformatted text will show you everything they tried to "redact".

My understanding is that if you copy an image that you want to redact into Paint, draw black boxes over the redacted info, select the image out of Paint and copy it into Word and then save as a PDF it won't carry anything that anyone can use to tell what was redacted. I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
This is why I just tape black construction paper over the info, photo copy it, and then scan it to redact my documents!

Not really, I don’t know how a screenshot of an image in a photo editing program could possibly be reverse-engineered to recover redacts.