Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Make simultaneous Megastructure construction have a tech or empire size requirement instead of always being one at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Asimo posted:

Dear wiz: have the red 'disabled gateway' icon for systems where you've built a frame but haven't completed it yet. :pray:
+1

Captain Invictus posted:

Make simultaneous Megastructure construction have a tech or empire size requirement instead of always being one at a time
Tack it on to Master Builders

e: better, have it increase to 2 if you have both galactic wonders and ring of life.
it's too early

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 8, 2018

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Ring of Life doesn't exist anymore.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Tag it to total empire population like titans are to naval capacity

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Captain Invictus posted:

Why have any requirement at all? I just ponied up tens of thousands of minerals, and now I'm able to do it again. Clearly I have the industrial capacity to build multiple megastructures.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Check your twitter feeds, there’s a Stellaris relevant announcement.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please share with those of us who are permabanned from birdsite for making GBS threads on nazis

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

wiegieman posted:

Why have any requirement at all? I just ponied up tens of thousands of minerals, and now I'm able to do it again. Clearly I have the industrial capacity to build multiple megastructures.

The ingame fluff says something about how your experienced engineers are all busy with a project already or something but that makes less sense when you're a gestalt consciousness. :shrug:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Captain Invictus posted:

Please share with those of us who are permabanned from birdsite for making GBS threads on nazis

Blorg body pillows are real.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

crazypeltast52 posted:

Check your twitter feeds, there’s a Stellaris relevant announcement.

Thank you for doing the twitter equivalent of "just google it".

GunnerJ posted:

Blorg body pillows are real.

I can believe it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

iospace posted:

I can believe it.
You should.
https://mobile.twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/993830590309961734

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Nothing that lurks in the L Cluster could possibly be more terrifying than that...

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Splicer posted:

You should.

I really want to know what the Indian/Bengali sewing crew thought while putting this together. Are there tentacle demon body pillows and this was just an oddball example of it, or was this a real wake up call to them that some seriously messed up people probably exist out there?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

iospace posted:

Thank you for doing the twitter equivalent of "just google it".

I can believe it.

Sorry, I never figured out twitter integration.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

nessin posted:

I really want to know what the Indian/Bengali sewing crew thought while putting this together. Are there tentacle demon body pillows and this was just an oddball example of it, or was this a real wake up call to them that some seriously messed up people probably exist out there?

Have you seen what normally ends up on these things? Do we need to show you what waits further down the rabbit hole?

The fact that it doesn't have a giant dick(s), isn't covered in breasts or fur or look like a 4 year old girl probably makes it pretty drat tame in compairison. It does look pretty phallic and has tentacles though so who knows what they think. At the end of the day they're probably just as numb it as we are.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

crazypeltast52 posted:

Sorry, I never figured out twitter integration.

Simply paste the URL in the post field, and it'll auto-embed. If you put :nws: emotes in the post it'll prevent the embed from happening (except on Awful).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Wiping out entire civilisations to reduce endgame processor lag #juststellaristhings

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

Wiping out entire civilisations to reduce endgame processor lag #juststellaristhings

Mid-game lag is what is convincing me to finally buy a new CPU. Apparently my old i5-2500 just doesn't cut it anymore.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Splicer posted:

I still think that the game could do with a re-balancing to reduce overall pop counts. One pop being able to work multiple tiles would be nice.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I once destroyed half my fleets to make the game playable again and all my vassals instantly rebelled. Whoops.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm playing as Passive Aggressive Psychic Pacifist Turtle People right now. The rules are simple:

1) Only build military ships in a defensive war.
2) Retrofit all military ships after a war to have nothing, not even FTL drives.
3) Retrofit them back to your top-tier military ships the instant someone declares war on you, preferably tailored to counter their ships.
4) Insult everyone who shares a border with you, every time you can.
5) Be Fanatic Pacifists
6) Be turtles.

I'm probably going to get a Domination victory through habitat spam. It's 2300 and I have about 10 habs, pull in 1k/month in minerals, and am within a couple years of my final tradition tree. I'm at my starbase cap, all of which are Citadels and have a full compliment of defense platforms. I literally can't spend all my money.

Question: If I take the colossus project as my final Ascension perk, will defensive wars against the AI be total wars where I can take territory in a war? I'm influence-limited and can't afford to claim my neighbor's space.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm playing as Passive Aggressive Psychic Pacifist Turtle People right now. The rules are simple:

1) Only build military ships in a defensive war.
2) Retrofit all military ships after a war to have nothing, not even FTL drives.
3) Retrofit them back to your top-tier military ships the instant someone declares war on you, preferably tailored to counter their ships.
4) Insult everyone who shares a border with you, every time you can.
5) Be Fanatic Pacifists
6) Be turtles.

I'm probably going to get a Domination victory through habitat spam. It's 2300 and I have about 10 habs, pull in 1k/month in minerals, and am within a couple years of my final tradition tree. I'm at my starbase cap, all of which are Citadels and have a full compliment of defense platforms. I literally can't spend all my money.

Question: If I take the colossus project as my final Ascension perk, will defensive wars against the AI be total wars where I can take territory in a war? I'm influence-limited and can't afford to claim my neighbor's space.

Why would you take it when you can just bubble all their planets until you control the required percentage of habitable planets to win? Who needs a claim when you can just delete their side?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Why would you take it when you can just bubble all their planets until you control the required percentage of habitable planets to win? Who needs a claim when you can just delete their side?

I forgot about the bubble.

Yeah, I'm gonna put everyone into a shell.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

wiegieman posted:

Seriously; particularly from a game perspective, restrictions on simultaneously building megastructures don't make any sense. If I have the resource throughput to afford multiple megastructures and you don't, I've already won the game anyway. The megastructures themselves aren't actually all that good.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

That's turtle as gently caress so it fits.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That's turtle as gently caress so it fits.

Yeah I wish I'd remembered the drat bubble earlier. I would have been able to take it 10 years ago in game. ;(

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ConfusedUs posted:

You know, come to think of it, putting an entire empire inside bubbles could make for a really good story.

"Centuries ago, we were just one planet of a vast, united, all-powerful empire. But then we met some right bastards who sealed us all within an impenetrable bubble, unaware of what goes on outside. Now, the forces that created the bubble have weakened and vanished. Once again, we are able to take to the stars. But what will we find? How will our long-lost brothers have evolved under the stress of isolation? What hard compromises were made to keep civilization functioning on a planet which was once integrated with a galactic economy? What planets failed to adapt and collapsed? Can we once more be one people, or are the divergences now too vast to be bridged?"

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously; particularly from a game perspective, restrictions on simultaneously building megastructures don't make any sense. If I have the resource throughput to afford multiple megastructures and you don't, I've already won the game anyway. The megastructures themselves aren't actually all that good.

At the point you're building megastructures the only really important cost is time, which forces you to choose which one to build. I'd argue that megastructures are actually that good, you're exchanging (probably peacetime) minerals for a large boost that comes with no side effects. The time factor is pretty much the only thing that keeps it in line with other perk options, which is a purely gameplay perspective of why not only do they take a lot of time but you can't build multiple at once.

Also a complaint of "I've already won the game why can't I just do anything" is a weird stance to base a complaint on. Maybe look at the case where you don't have the game already won, and think about design from that stance.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ZypherIM posted:

Also a complaint of "I've already won the game why can't I just do anything" is a weird stance to base a complaint on. Maybe look at the case where you don't have the game already won, and think about design from that stance.
...if I don't have the game already won, there are better things to spend the minerals on, which has always been the problem with megastructures...

ZypherIM posted:

At the point you're building megastructures the only really important cost is time
...as you pretty much admitted?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I tried to run a super tall Unity focused empire and I didn't end up liking it. I got 6 traditions unlocked by 2270 which is cool, but research at that point is absolutely horrific. You have to spam science ships (I had uh...10?) and keep hoping you hit the jackpot with anomalies granting research. Gonna run a Devouring Swarm now I think.

Speaking of which, how is that added in? I've tried to pay attention and like have a tech that needs 1000 research left to unlock, get a reward of 250 research, and it...stays the same? Does it get removed from the next tech cost?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
So i found this system with 2 habitable planets. One was empty, the other had a PreFTL civilization. I colonized the empty planet, and later enlightened the PreFTL race. They proceeded to enslave every colonist in the system. I guess that's gratitude for you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ZypherIM posted:

You have to do some serious gymnastics to envision a scenario where you're in a competitive situation with peer empires AND you have the tech to be building megastructures AND it's better to spend minerals on megastructures to gain a benefit some years in the future rather than getting more fleet power now.

Megastructures are really just vanity projects, might as well just let me build them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I guess that's why all the FEs and precursors have/had them, they got high on their own supply instead of going out and conquering the galaxy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vasudus posted:

I tried to run a super tall Unity focused empire and I didn't end up liking it. I got 6 traditions unlocked by 2270 which is cool, but research at that point is absolutely horrific. You have to spam science ships (I had uh...10?) and keep hoping you hit the jackpot with anomalies granting research. Gonna run a Devouring Swarm now I think.

Speaking of which, how is that added in? I've tried to pay attention and like have a tech that needs 1000 research left to unlock, get a reward of 250 research, and it...stays the same? Does it get removed from the next tech cost?
Goes into a pool that gets sucked from 1 to 1 with research. So if you have a 1000 point research and get 300 points you'll be progressing twice as fast until you hit 600 research and then you'll drop back to standard speed.

Also if you generate science without a tech picked to research it gets dumped into the same pool instead of being wasted.

Not sure how research modifiers affect all of this though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Splicer posted:

Goes into a pool that gets sucked from 1 to 1 with research. So if you have a 1000 point research and get 300 points you'll be progressing twice as fast until you hit 600 research and then you'll drop back to standard speed.

Also if you generate science without a tech picked to research it gets dumped into the same pool instead of being wasted.

Not sure how research modifiers affect all of this though.

modifiers are applied after research points. so if i generate 30 engineering points, and i have a pool of 600 engineering points available through events, then i get points deducted from that pool equal to the amount of points i generate (doubling my points temporarily) and then if i have +50% research on top of that my total research output is (30*2)*1.5=90 points

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh good. I was kinda freaking out thinking that something might have broken with this more events mod I started running.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

You have to do some serious gymnastics to envision a scenario where you're in a competitive situation with peer empires AND you have the tech to be building megastructures AND it's better to spend minerals on megastructures to gain a benefit some years in the future rather than getting more fleet power now.

Megastructures are really just vanity projects, might as well just let me build them.

Any sort of game where you're territorially constrained and can't afford a massive fleet owing to low energy income is an excellent candidate for building the Sphere or the Hub, especially now that habitats have a higher influence cost and are less spammable. This particularly applies to pacifists who are not capable of expanding aggressively but may want a larger fleet to go on wars of liberation.

Sure, you can put those minerals into ships now, but you also have to maintain them unless you're planning on disbanding most of your fleet after a war.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tomn posted:

You know, come to think of it, putting an entire empire inside bubbles could make for a really good story.

"Centuries ago, we were just one planet of a vast, united, all-powerful empire. But then we met some right bastards who sealed us all within an impenetrable bubble, unaware of what goes on outside. Now, the forces that created the bubble have weakened and vanished. Once again, we are able to take to the stars. But what will we find? How will our long-lost brothers have evolved under the stress of isolation? What hard compromises were made to keep civilization functioning on a planet which was once integrated with a galactic economy? What planets failed to adapt and collapsed? Can we once more be one people, or are the divergences now too vast to be bridged?"

"Clearly, we are the heirs of spacerome."
"No, we are the heirs of spacerome, you are just mutant pretenders!"
"SPACEROME CAPITAL DEFENSE NETWORK DECLARED ITSELF EMPEROR DUE TO ASSASSINATION OF ALL HIGHER-LEVEL OFFICIALS IN WAR BEFORE COLOSSI WAS USED TO BUBBLE CAPITAL. SUBMIT TO THE GLORY OF SPACEROME"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There is literally an anime about a bubble world called scrapped princess. Not sure how to allude to it without spoiling it unfortunately, but it's a good series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why.