Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Here have a recording of Putin sitting on my shoulder, making strange sounds: http://0x0.st/s1kG.MP3 (Pion also makes a guest appearance.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Captain Log posted:

It's a bizarre combination of people going out of their way to be helpful while others refuse to acknowledge I'm there. I don't want to out anyone, but I think there are two mobility assisted goons in the Bird Crazies. It's a comfy place to post. :)

More pictures will happen when I can manage phone/bird/walker.

I don稚 own a bird (yet) but mobility assisted goon reporting in. I知 a double amputee so I use a wheelchair part time but most of the time I walk with prostheses.

I知 in an apartment now so still working on the bird bit.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rallos posted:

I don稚 own a bird (yet) but mobility assisted goon reporting in. I知 a double amputee so I use a wheelchair part time but most of the time I walk with prostheses.

How long do you expect to make it before the bird you get buzzsaws through your prostheses? I知 pretty sure anything short of aluminum or titanium will have a service life measured in weeks if you get a macaw or cockatoo :v:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Sup, fellow disabled and mobility impaired bird nerds? Being a dwarf it was always fun trying to coax Judah down from places I couldn't reach.

One of the first very clear things he learned to say was "c'mere!" in the cadence I used. :argh:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Poor Taco, were they able to tell you at least about what happened?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rallos posted:

You can have birds in an apartment - cockatiels and budgies do quite well. They can be noisy but probably not enough to bother your neighbors unless said neighbors are really lovely

We have four birds in ours (granted, we live in a townhouse apartment at the end of the building) and we've never had any trouble with our neighbors. One of our birds loves to scream extremely loud (she is a conure, that's just what they do I guess? :shrug:) and still no complaints.

I think the important thing is to have your birds on daytime hours so they don't bother your neighbors when they're trying to sleep.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Rallos posted:

Yesterday was my first time going to a mall using a wheel chair. The doc's literally said, "We would be worried about your condition getting worse if you use a wheel chair full time." (They suspect I have MS)

Yesterday, I did the full two story mall, alone, in a wheelchair. It was one of the most exhausting experiences of my last few years, including Jiu Jitsu.

In my apartment I generally just flail from surface to surface, but I'm making a point of bringing my walker to the bird cages. The cockatiel just goes into full crest terror mode. It's adorable in a stupid way. :)

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Mirthless posted:

You can have birds in an apartment - cockatiels and budgies do quite well. They can be noisy but probably not enough to bother your neighbors unless said neighbors are really lovely

We have four birds in ours (granted, we live in a townhouse apartment at the end of the building) and we've never had any trouble with our neighbors. One of our birds loves to scream extremely loud (she is a conure, that's just what they do I guess? :shrug:) and still no complaints.

I think the important thing is to have your birds on daytime hours so they don't bother your neighbors when they're trying to sleep.

I would really love to get an Eclectus but am taking my time and making sure that I can give it a good home. I travel a decent amount for sports so I have to figure out a bird sitter also.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Captain Log posted:

Yesterday was my first time going to a mall using a wheel chair. The doc's literally said, "We would be worried about your condition getting worse if you use a wheel chair full time." (They suspect I have MS)

Yesterday, I did the full two story mall, alone, in a wheelchair. It was one of the most exhausting experiences of my last few years, including Jiu Jitsu.

In my apartment I generally just flail from surface to surface, but I'm making a point of bringing my walker to the bird cages. The cockatiel just goes into full crest terror mode. It's adorable in a stupid way. :)

Hopefully you can get a decent ultra light or custom chair. It makes a huge difference in the amount of effort it takes to push around in something super light vs some dumpster Walmart chair.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rallos posted:

I would really love to get an Eclectus but am taking my time and making sure that I can give it a good home. I travel a decent amount for sports so I have to figure out a bird sitter also.

If this is your first bird I really recommend starting with a budgie or cockatiel, I understand Eclectus can be a really neurotic bird. I've met a lot of plucked Electus unfortunately. :( With the bigger varieties of parrot you run into behavioral problems - they're just too smart.

If you do make the plunge with a challenging bird, make sure you do a lot of research - I recommend buying and reading a lot of books.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This one looks familiar, but perhaps I am remembering a different video with the same plot?
https://i.imgur.com/IsfQBTO.mp4

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Cockatiels just love pulling up laptop keys, I think it's like pulling up bark to see if there's a juicy grub under there for them. They just can't resist the urge.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

This one looks familiar, but perhaps I am remembering a different video with the same plot?
I can hear the squeepy squabbly sqrrpy angry cockatiel noises in my head :kimchi:

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
Speaking of cockatiels, Romans finally posted a video of the babies on their Facebook. :3: I had no idea they made such good noises ahhhhh

https://www.facebook.com/103817883370633/videos/484312921987792/

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man this thread makes me want another cockatiel again

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I always want a cockatiel. And a budgie, conure, grey, caique, etc... For now, I'll have to make do with internet birds though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
This was baby Serra at seventeen days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ZeNFHXbME

Here she is at almost eleven months! Excuse my hair.

Notice the cockatiel throwing some side eye shade at the evil camera.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

In honour of Taco Tuesday, featuring Boop Monday (because I forgot)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tendai posted:

Man this thread makes me want another cockatiel again

ironically cockatiels were the birds i was least interested when i started getting interested in parrots and now after a couple of years i would be perfectly happy to have a cockatiel or cockatiels for the rest of my life

they're really just the best birds. :derptiel:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

has anyone else's bird just now decided it's spring so it's time to squawk endlessly

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yes.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

it's weird, apparently only one of them got the memo. my little budgie boy is not feeling it yet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes 6 am when sun begins really flooding in the windows is a great time to scream. The sun appreciates 2 hours of uninterrupted screm.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

subpar anachronism posted:

it's weird, apparently only one of them got the memo. my little budgie boy is not feeling it yet.

Mine is feeling it. Mine is feeling something indeed.

Little twerp bit a hole in my thumb. He likes to pick at hard skin (it's gross, I know) but it's turning into a serious biting problem. I don't know how to get him to stop doing bad things. Gently swatting him away and saying "no" just makes him testier and causes him to attempt whatever fuckery he was doing with increased fervor. Ignoring/timeout is ineffective afaik, unless I'm too inconsistent. I find myself getting mad but I figure if I let a tiny bird make me go into savage monkey brain mode then I am not fit for society.

What should I do next time he gets into a bout of bad biting? Should I just redirect his attention with his bell or some straw/ paper to nibble on?

Also I made an art i call "happy budge, spooked budge)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Little twerp bit a hole in my thumb. He likes to pick at hard skin (it's gross, I know) but it's turning into a serious biting problem. I don't know how to get him to stop doing bad things. Gently swatting him away and saying "no" just makes him testier and causes him to attempt whatever fuckery he was doing with increased fervor. Ignoring/timeout is ineffective afaik, unless I'm too inconsistent. I find myself getting mad but I figure if I let a tiny bird make me go into savage monkey brain mode then I am not fit for society.

What should I do next time he gets into a bout of bad biting? Should I just redirect his attention with his bell or some straw/ paper to nibble on?
Assuming he isn't flighted, put him on the ground and then ignore him for a few minutes.

Every time he bites you/picks at skin too hard, he goes on the ground and gets ignored. That's how to train him out of it.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Kenshin posted:

Assuming he isn't flighted, put him on the ground and then ignore him for a few minutes.

Every time he bites you/picks at skin too hard, he goes on the ground and gets ignored. That's how to train him out of it.

He's flighted. He needs a proper wing clip. Banishing the bird to the floor seems nice right now. I'm going to relish that fantasy while my bird is gazing at me from his door with his hollow kakapo eyes.

He's been good since I was typing up my last post, though.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

theHUNGERian posted:

After looking after a toddler I now understand why people compare their birds to them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Also I made an art i call "happy budge, spooked budge)

Parakeets have never been able to draw blood with me. I've had two that were nippy, both females.

I either set them on the ground, or refuse to respond to the bite and hold them like I'm putting them in the travel cage.

60 seconds of being held in place for a budgie is apparently an eon.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

ffffffffffff

https://twitter.com/KAKITAN/status/994032331370283010?s=19

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Charlie enjoying shoulder privileges but also keeping a Very Serious eye out for danger

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

subpar anachronism posted:

has anyone else's bird just now decided it's spring so it's time to squawk endlessly

yes but autumn, i think the weathers confused the poor guy

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

How do birds know it's spring, if they live inside with artificial lighting? I know hormones make them act like that but how can their bodies tell?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

shits.ridic posted:

How do birds know it's spring, if they live inside with artificial lighting? I know hormones make them act like that but how can their bodies tell?

Temperature, length of day

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

underage at the vape shop posted:

Temperature, length of day

a tiny clockwork calendar inside every bird

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eifert Posting posted:

Poor Taco, were they able to tell you at least about what happened?

Unfortunately not, as they didn't have the facilities at that vet to do a postmortem (they could have sent away to a university, but due to delays etc it wouldn't have been conclusive so we decided not to)

Taco is back home with us now, went and collected her ashes from the crematorium ($270 loving dollariedoos to cremate a 130 gram bird jesus christ). Not sure what we are going to do with her yet, whether or not we will keep her, I was thinking of going on a holiday down to Denmark in Western Australia and scattering the ashes at a place like the Walpol Treetop Walk (its really amazing countryside down that way, if you are ever in Western Australia you need to check it out).

Here is a final Taco Tuesday for you (yes i am aware its Wednesday in Australia I had a 10 hour work day yesterday ok!!!):

First photo of her, on the morning after she came home with us:

Last photo I took of her, a few days before she passed:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

GoldStandardConure posted:

Last photo I took of her, a few days before she passed:

A happy birb :3: She had a great life with you.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Taco was a very good bird, thanks for sharing her with us

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
My heart

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

underage at the vape shop posted:

yes but autumn, i think the weathers confused the poor guy

After the yoyoing autumn weather, Murphy spent most of Saturday rubbing herself against the perch before popping an egg out on Sunday.

Bird.

It is almost WINTER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I showed the Taco pictures to some friends and they said 'that's the happiest birb I've ever seen.'