Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

The party in his head was more like a hate rally. Apparently December 6 is just a fake holiday forced on us by "feminazis", the Europeans are actually responsible for improving the state of Indigenous people, etc etc.

https://twitter.com/NotLawton

Jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Fake news pieces, fake supporters, no deep details on a platform.

The next premier of Ontario Doug Ford

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Reince Penis posted:

Fake news pieces, fake supporters, no deep details on a platform.

The next premier of Ontario Doug Ford

It's going to work too.

I've gotta say, watching Doug's campaign people toss Meredith Cartwright under the bus the second the story broke was great. It feels like there some strong loyalty within the PCPO these days. Really a cohesive political organization that's ready to come together for the benefit of Ontarians.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I want to say I kinda agree with him. The tax should be used towards helping move towards more green products.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Vintersorg posted:

I want to say I kinda agree with him. The tax should be used towards helping move towards more green products.

Yeah, he's right. If you want to defeat the idea that carbon taxes are a cash grab, maybe don't use the cash you're grabbing for things other than making the environment suck less?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Vintersorg posted:

I agree as well, I should have made that clear. As I said before Manitoba's "Carbon Tax" is really just an increased Fuel Tax that is being used to cut PST 1%(Which doesn't apply to fuel)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ontario Proud has started taking out ad spaces on YouTube to yell about Wynne and they're annoying when they pop up on my phone.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

The precise mechanics of the algorithm remain a company secret. So far as anyone can tell, every like, dislike, comment or share counts as "engagement," as does clicking on a post or watching a video for more than a few seconds, and each boosts the odds that the same or related content will turn up in other feeds.

So, to understand how Ontario Proud's content was seen by 6.3 million Facebook users in a single week last month – not necessarily clicked upon, but appearing in their field of vision – it helps to know that, in the same week, its 40 posts registered 1.4 million engagements. (How many were within Ontario is unclear.) Each week, those numbers feed off each other: more views leading to more engagements, and vice versa.

Sometimes, Mr. Ballingall builds his numbers through shareable content that is apolitical – jokey memes about the recent spell of frigid weather, for instance. That's to supplement the political attacks that are his bread and butter.

When Mr. Ballingall describes the key to his anti-Wynne or anti-Trudeau messaging as "going for things that are topical, that promote an emotive response, and that matter to people," it sounds like Political Messaging 101. But, as with any effective third party, he's doing something the folks seeking election avoid.

The way he explains it, parties are too risk-averse to produce stuff that will get people scrolling through their feeds to stop and pay attention. "On political campaigns I've worked on, everything has to go through a process, and any creative idea you have, by the time it's gone up the chain of command, it's either squashed or watered down to the point of obsolescence."

A more generous explanation is that parties try to present a modicum of respect for each other. Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown is not about to put his name behind a comedy troupe's rap video in which a Kathleen Wynne impersonator robs a "Joe Schmoe;" or a "Nightmare before Christmas" take in which Ontarians, sleepless because of their hydro bills, are alarmed to find Ms. Wynne on their lawn – both of which were pushed by Ontario Proud.

"If any one party gets caught making a mistake that's seen as childish or inappropriate, that could cost them the entire election," said Mr. Lavoie, the former Harper communications adviser. A third party has "much more flexibility to play with emotional levers."

Sounds like a PAC to me.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Sounds like a PAC to me.

Interesting tidbit about the guy saying he's making normal stuff like memes about the weather or sports and it leads them to their page. I've noticed something similar with a page called "National Conservative News Network Canada" on Facebook. They make stupid but innocent stuff like the below so people share/like them and follow their page, but the actual page itself seems to be run by Candice Malcom and Faith Goldy and has some the most racist, transphobic, homophobic, xenophobic and anti-Liberal poo poo I've ever seen. Social Media is a loving disease.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Sounds like a PAC to me.

*As a third party advertiser, Ontario Proud is regulated by Ontario’s Election Finances Act. Donations to our Advertising Fund above $100 are reported to Elections Ontario per these requirements. Donors to this fund must be residents of Ontario.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So the MP who started the Weir investigation with an open email is herself suspended and under investigation for sexual misconduct

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Postess with the Mostest posted:

*As a third party advertiser, Ontario Proud is regulated by Ontario’s Election Finances Act. Donations to our Advertising Fund above $100 are reported to Elections Ontario per these requirements. Donors to this fund must be residents of Ontario.

Oh, so it literally is a PAC; I'd just presumed. Bad me.

Still not unblocking them on facebook, cause the only other way i'll not see them is to have the "racist grandma" talk with mom and that's just not worth it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Walked by Wab Kinew on my lunch with a couple coworkers - didn't realize it was him until someone pointed it out. He was just in some tshirt and jeans strolling around.

I would have said hi and that I am voting for him otherwise. Hope he didn't think we were a bunch of white conservatives looking like nerds. :ohdear:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

:vince:

Honestly reading the allegations against her I was sort of like "heh whatever", then I realized how bad it would be if the genders were swapped.
I guess don't throw people under the bus for being "creepy" when you are a rapist yourself.

Edit: Jesus loving Christ this thread is hostile.
"then I realized how bad it would be if the genders were swapped."
That's me recognizing my initial response to the news was inappropriate, and acknowledging it's not a "heh whatever" story. Calm down

Math You fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 8, 2018

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
From what I understand, her letter was on behalf of anonymous staffers.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

"Let Faith Goldy espouse the virtues of a white ethnostate or else I'm pulling provincial funding from your university."

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Math You posted:

Honestly reading the allegations against her I was sort of like "heh whatever", then I realized how bad it would be if the genders were swapped.

There was a power imbalance.

That's all that is required: genders don't even matter. You can't sit on the committee of somebody testifying during the day who you then gently caress (or try to gently caress) at night.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 8, 2018

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Math You posted:

I guess don't throw people under the bus for being "creepy" when you are a rapist yourself.

You think rape of a disabled war vet who was plied with alcohol when they were on heavy painkillers, by a person of authority, is "heh whatever"?

Jesus.

Really puts the other NDP guy getting fired for being a creepy autist close talker, who never touched anyone, into perspective.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean he was probably secretly into it.

:ironicat:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/iD4RO/status/993898838254485504

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

patonthebach posted:

You think rape of a disabled war vet who was plied with alcohol when they were on heavy painkillers, by a person of authority, is "heh whatever"?

Jesus.

Really puts the other NDP guy getting fired for being a creepy autist close talker, who never touched anyone, into perspective.

If you weren't tripping over yourself to get offended you might have seen I was identifying my own initial reaction as inappropriate. She's a rapist.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Are we still arming the saudis for their war in yemen Iran?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Math You posted:

If you weren't tripping over yourself to get offended you might have seen I was identifying my own initial reaction as inappropriate. She's a rapist.

This post is rape.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reality Loser posted:

Are we still arming the saudis for their war in yemen Iran?

Since we still haven't normalized relations with Iran, I am assuming we have increased exports.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The CPC is a waste of space

https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/993973005746409472

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Math You posted:

Uhh doesnt matter if the genders were swapped ? Its still immensely hosed up

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Femtosecond posted:

Hector Bremner the supply side candidate backed by Mark Matissen and Vancouver Abundant Housing activists was denied his ability to run for the NPA even though he had signed up the most new members because the board was taken over by another candidate for Mayor, anti-everything, pro-viaduct Glen Chernan.

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/993872330366439425?s=21

I would not be surprised if Bremner starts a new party because I’m not sure what other options he has here.

If we end up with four or five viable parties with roughly equal support and roughly equal funding due to the new campaign finance laws, the next Vancouver municipal election is going to be very weird and very interesting.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

A brief update on the Erin Weir saga from someone adjacent to people adjacent to it all.

According to the investigator's report, 15 women have entered complaints against Weir. The investigator has determined that 4 of them are serious enough to be considered harassment/sexual harassment. These occurred often and generally in the workplace or with work colleagues, where dynamics of power obviously come into play and makes actions/events more serious.

One of the incidents - allegedly, this is all rumour mill - has him calling a woman "disgusting" (I don't know if this is one of the cases that is now being investigated or not).

He also apparently doesn't understand "no" very well, with women having to push him from their personal space to get rid of him. It is important to note here that this isn't in sexually explicit situations with an immediately imminent threat of sexual assault/worse. More so that dude just has no loving clue when to stop "flirting" (again, not sure whether this is being formally investigated or not). As an aside, having met/seen/interacted with the dude a few times, I cringe to think what his attempts at flirtation looks like. Dude lives at the bottom of uncanny valley in terms of behaviour.

For me, the above examples simply aren't the kind of language or behaviour I expect or want from MLAs/MPs.

Going on television and providing enough information for listeners "in the know" to be able to ID an accuser is also pretty suspect behaviour. Which again also seems to breach acceptable behaviour of elected representatives.

However, despite the running theme of "ew", it seems that Weir's reaction to the accusations is key here; if Weir had just owned up to it all initially, taken responsibility, and accepted the NDP's request for rehabilitative/restorative justice, he would still be part of party caucus and would be on the path back to acceptance. But he didn't, choosing instead to double down. Rejecting your party's internal attempts to solve the issue isn't exactly conducive to remaining part of that party.

Generally speaking, there has to be a way back for people who have genuinely reformed/display a genuine desire to reform. Weir did not display that.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sounds like aspergers, not that it excuses anything.

Did any of the 15 complainants ever tell him directly he was being inappropriate? Did any of this managers have verbal or written warnings to him? It sounds like it was immense amount of instances where he was inappropriate, but I wonder if he was even aware he was about to get canned.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yeah, there are lots of people publicly diagnosing (which is always pretty dangerous, even if it is hard to resist) him as being somewhere on the spectrum. I admit I wonder it myself. But, like you say, that doesn't change anything.

But also yes - my understanding (again, secondhand account of secondhand accounts here) is that plenty of women have told him through the years that he is gross/uncomfortable/creepy/inappropriate/whatever. I don't know if those were specifically among the 15 registered complaints, but the dude had been made aware - sometimes with hostility - of the problems with his interactions with women.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Lead out in cuffs posted:

If we end up with four or five viable parties with roughly equal support and roughly equal funding due to the new campaign finance laws, the next Vancouver municipal election is going to be very weird and very interesting.

Agreed! I'm loving done with Vision (respect for making the bike lanes happen though) at this point. NPA is Vision but worse in every way, Greens are just a loving useless rich boomer NIMBY joke party.

Some sort of mixed up coalition between non lovely people from these parties (RIP Bremner) and independents (I like that Swanson lady) could be exactly what we need to really shake things up.

Will be an interesting one for sure. As long as it doesn't end up being a NPA majority and nobody ends up loving with the bike infrastructure, I'll be happy for a big change.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
All MPs should be eunuchs.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Tsyni posted:

All MPs should be eunuchs.

Without lust to drive and distract them they would just focus even more energy and time into increasingly sneaky and convoluted plots to increase their own wealth and power.

Probably not a good idea.

Every hour your MP spends trying to get into the pants of their interns is another hour they aren't picking your pocket. :colbert:

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 9, 2018

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The Butcher posted:

Agreed! I'm loving done with Vision (respect for making the bike lanes happen though) at this point. NPA is Vision but worse in every way, Greens are just a loving useless rich boomer NIMBY joke party.

Some sort of mixed up coalition between non lovely people from these parties (RIP Bremner) and independents (I like that Swanson lady) could be exactly what we need to really shake things up.

Will be an interesting one for sure. As long as it doesn't end up being a NPA majority and nobody ends up loving with the bike infrastructure, I'll be happy for a big change.

Vision under Robertson made some significant mistakes (eg. too slow to enact Airbnb regulations, Robertson saying Andy Yan was racist) but amongst all the various municipal parties their policies have the best balance between demand and supply solutions to the housing crisis and I think that if they had had a more willing partner than the BC Liberals during the last four years, they would have been more effective.

For example the party supports building more built purpose built rental, but without funding or powers to zone for rental tenure their only ability to do this was to give density bonuses to developers that built rental or below market rental instead of condos (which could be bought by speculators). Obviously it would have been a lot better if they had the revenue to simply build city owned rental (as they're doing now) or zone for rental (as the BCNDP have now allowed) but at least they got some rental built. Meanwhile in Burnaby their government let affordable rental get bulldozed for luxury condos.

Next election will be pretty interesting, especially now that Bremner can't use the NPA as a vehicle. I expect that he and his Abundant Housing supporters will create a new party. If NDP MP Kennedy Stewart decides to be the Vision nominee for Mayor it'll be interesting to see whether he can reboot the party and whether voters will be willing to disassociate the various mistakes Gregor Robertson made from Vision. Anti-poverty activist Jean Swanson seems like a good voice to have on council to round out things, but will COPE get any traction beyond that? In the past they've shot themselves in the foot by adopting some real bad policies (eg. opposition to Broadway skytrain).

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 9, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Butcher posted:

Without lust to drive and distract them they would just focus even more energy and time into increasingly sneaky and convoluted plots to increase their own wealth and power.

Probably not a good idea.

Every hour your MP spends trying to get into the pants of their interns is another hour they aren't picking your pocket. :colbert:

Not just eunuchs then, but full on monks. Not allowed to own property.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Not just eunuchs then, but full on monks. Not allowed to own property.

barred from any private work for 8 years after sitting in office, paid a living wage during that time

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

If we're keeping count there's now two NPA candidates that have bailed due to Hector Bremner not being allowed to run for mayor. I'd be shocked if the one remaining Abundant Housing guy doesn't bail too.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Femtosecond posted:

If we're keeping count there's now two NPA candidates that have bailed due to Hector Bremner not being allowed to run for mayor. I'd be shocked if the one remaining Abundant Housing guy doesn't bail too.

That's good then. Actually my one fear is that the left ends up split between COPE, OneCity and Vision (like happened in the special election), leaving the NPA with a majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That's good then. Actually my one fear is that the left ends up split between COPE, OneCity and Vision (like happened in the special election), leaving the NPA with a majority.

Left being split and right being split and the result being a diverse set of councillors on council would be not so bad imo. The only person I'm really strongly against is Glen Chernan and Melissa De Genova. Carr is pretty lousy too.