Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sebzilla posted:

Ultimate Soccer Manager (2)

It also had a cool set piece creator where you could tell your players to punt it at goal direct from the kickoff and a weird in depth training planner and all sorts of cool poo poo. It was ahead of its time in a lot of ways when CM was still text only.

e: this was back in the mid-late 90s so might not be the one you're thinking of.

In addition to the Bribe button, USM 1 also had an option to throw a Bung to a manager if you wanted to sign one of his players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

That rules.

What doesn't rule is how when you manage in France, FM goes out of its way to funnel you towards facing PSG or Monaco as many times a season as they possibly can. So far this year, I've faced PSG in the league, both cup competitions, the Trophee des Champions, and the Champions League, making for a total of 7 matches in a single season.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
In my last Premier League season (details on last page) I played Tottenham six times:

League game (home)
They knocked us out of the Carabao Cup (away)
We knocked them out of the FA Cup (home)

And then right near the end of the season we drew them home-and-away in the Europa League semifinal, sandwiching our away League game against them, so we played them 3 straight times in 8 days.

We won 4 of the 6 games overall and lost 2, no draws.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Eric the Mauve posted:

so we played them 3 straight times in 8 days.

This happens to me in every game, every second season or so. There's def something weird going on in the engine to make it happen on the reg

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
In Motorsport Manager (another spreadsheet game but isn’t ancient) you can use “illegal” parts that can cause penalties if you get caught. It’s a decent little mechanic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

This happens to me in every game, every second season or so. There's def something weird going on in the engine to make it happen on the reg

Well I think the devs have openly admitted the game is rigged to draw rivals against each other in cups, though in my LLM game my piddly nothing team obviously isn't rivals with anyone in Real Football

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I'm managing Arsenal (not literally), because by April all my starters have done their tendons and I'm losing 1-0 to teams with one shot on target and 25% possession :negative:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Mandalay posted:

In Motorsport Manager (another spreadsheet game but isn’t ancient) you can use “illegal” parts that can cause penalties if you get caught. It’s a decent little mechanic.

In my second or third year doing the Predator challenge, it also offered me the chance to steal the gearbox design from the top team for like $3MM, which let me skip at least 5 years worth of development time and at least $10MM in development costs, which doesn't include all the extra sponsor cash and race winnings I was able to grab with a significantly better car during that time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I like the extra touch of realistic detail that megabastards always get 5-6 minutes of extra time when they're losing

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I like the extra touch of realistic detail that megabastards always get 5-6 minutes of extra time when they're losing

I too love multiple highlights where the ref lets us go several minutes past the end of stoppage time

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For four straight years my team has been in the exact same Champions League group: us, Dortmund, Athletic Club, and whichever minnow found its way through the preliminary stages. Is this normal?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s your tactics mate (it probably isexpected; SI don’t know how probability works so they force funny coincidences in to the game)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

For four straight years my team has been in the exact same Champions League group: us, Dortmund, Athletic Club, and whichever minnow found its way through the preliminary stages. Is this normal?

If you're not fussed by this sort of thing, add the German/Spanish leagues, add a new manager and have him take over Dortmund/Athletic and then resign on the same day.
That should result in enough disruption to the squad to change where they end up at the end of the season, and therefore your challengers next year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean it's not really a big deal to me. I have to imagine Dortmund would be pretty pissed off about it by now, they're locked in a Groundhog Day loop of getting bounced from the CL at the group stage, winning the EL, rinse and repeat.

(That's the other thing, the first two times Dortmund qualified for the CL via the Bundesliga but actually the last two times they finished midtable but got back to the CL by winning the EL. :shrug:)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm back doing research for FM2019 because I want the game for free and to stick a boot into all the poo poo players that got us relegated.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sassassin posted:

I'm back doing research for FM2019 because I want the game for free and to stick a boot into all the poo poo players that got us relegated.

At least your motivations are pure. :patriot:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

sassassin posted:

This is the pre-eminent football database, used by professional statisticians and scouts alike. We may not like it, but this is what peak talent evaluation looks like.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is the pre-eminent football database, used by professional statisticians and scouts alike. We may not like it, but this is what peak talent evaluation looks like.

Swansea researchers have historically been piss poor for them so when the new one disappeared without submitting an end of season review I was top of the call sheet. Got a very complimentary email begging me to come back and weave my magic (aka meeting deadlines without fuss).

It's possible I'm actually really good at it, though. The only "mistakes" I ever got called up on from beta testing were when Franck Tabanou and Jefferson Montero weren't being picked by AI Garry Monk (due to my positional familiarity ratings for them) and look how that worked out in real life.

I'm disappointed no agents have bribed me to overrate their youth players, though. No one would bat an eye if I gave out a few -8s to some random u18s and get their names out there a bit.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
There's a new game on Steam called Football Tactics something something and its a turn based grid based soccer management sim and it loving owns hard. There's a demo on Steam.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wirth1000 posted:

There's a new game on Steam called Football Tactics something something and its a turn based grid based soccer management sim and it loving owns hard. There's a demo on Steam.

That's been in early access for ages (over a year I think) and has changed its name at least 3 times.

Fun but it gets very repetitive.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

sassassin posted:

That's been in early access for ages (over a year I think) and has changed its name at least 3 times.

Fun but it gets very repetitive.

Oh. I think it's out of early access now. Welp.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

FM2018 is 66% off for the duration of the world cup on steam. Is it worth me buying it?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

HappyCamperGL posted:

FM2018 is 66% off for the duration of the world cup on steam. Is it worth me buying it?

Depends how much you're planning on playing it, I suppose.
It seems like an all-around improvement to me, but I have put in over 500 hours.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's good imo

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

given that the world cup is now, what's the weirdest country you've seen win it in your saves? my best was a terrible croatia side winning it with some dude i had out on loan in ligue 2 scoring the winner

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bogan Krkic posted:

given that the world cup is now, what's the weirdest country you've seen win it in your saves? my best was a terrible croatia side winning it with some dude i had out on loan in ligue 2 scoring the winner

England

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

Croatia won the 2018 World Cup in my long-running FM11 save

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Bogan Krkic posted:

I holidayed the game for 20 years with the top leagues and competitive internationals on full detail to shuffle things up before starting a new game and Serbia are the current champions from the 2034 World Cup in Japan, they have some cracking players but were still underdogs. Brazil beat Germany in the 2018 one, Germany won in 2022 before Nigeria won in 2026.

I once holidayed FM2008 until it started crashing, I seem to remember Sweden won in the 2060s and Ireland beat England 1-0 in the final in the 2070s.

After my 20 year holiday, I picked Krasnodar as my team, they have £400M+ in the bank but still lose out more often than not to Spartak. The Russian league has also declined to the 9th best in the world with something like 3 appearances in the CL knockouts in 20 years and I've never done a game where you try to drag your league up the rankings. I've spent as much as FFP will allow, including £70M on a 19 year old wonderkid DM and £20M on Russia's best striker (6 foreigner rule!) in order to lose the Super Cup in extra time and sneak a 2-1 win in the Urals. :toot: We're also in the CL third qualifying round and need that sweet group stage cash injection.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 19, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So I noticed, after a few hundred hours of playing matches, that whenever a dude (my dude or an opposing dude) got loose for a 1-on-1 with the keeper, he would fail to score an awful lot of the time. Like definitely less than half the time. For a long time I figured it was just luck of the draw, but eventually the sample size got sufficiently big to conclude something is probably amiss here. And I am very much a soccerfootball novice, but I’m pretty sure in real life a 1-on-1 break must result in a goal 80% of the time or more.

Googled it up, quickly realized that, yes, this has been widely noticed and is apparently new to the match engine in 18. And it goes a long way toward explaining why 3 striker tactics are so busted, probably.

Now obviously I don’t actually have any idea, but I’d bet a fair stack of bills I know the general outline of what happened here:

1. Playtesting of the 18 match engine quickly established that it produces far too many goals.
2. Attempts to solve this problem in a realistic way quickly made it clear that it would require a rebuild of the match engine, and it’s already too close to ship date for that.
3. So SI said, ehhhh, just make players really suck at scoring 1-on-1 with the keeper, adjust it till the engine produces the ~2 goals per game it should, and ship. We’ll try something different next year.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

And I am very much a soccerfootball novice, but I’m pretty sure in real life a 1-on-1 break must result in a goal 80% of the time or more.

Nowhere near.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
In game it depends a lot on the level you are playing at. Your League 2 striker with 4 composure and no skill traits is just as likely to send the ball flying off to the corner regardless of the quality of the keeper he is against.

I don't feel like 18 is much different than previous years in this regard but I'm also not really playing with poachers much either

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

sassassin posted:

Nowhere near.

Here's a great article on why everyone is dreadful at predicting goal chances

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

One of the worst things in FM is those weird yellow card/warning text updates you get during a game. You just want to get to the next highlight and instead you get:

quote:

Evren hits a 45 yard ball to Osipenko

Osipenko strides forward in the rain

Osipenko hits a pass forward to Gomez

Gomez crosses the ball in towards Jones

That'll be a free kick to Krasnodar

Kravchenko slid in on Jones

The referee calls Kravchenko over

The referee keeps his cards in his pocket on this occasion.

Either show the passage of play or skip over it ffs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Back in my day text was all we had.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Does the Carrilero role work as advertised? I want to experiment with some oddball formations & tactics.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

Does the Carrilero role work as advertised? I want to experiment with some oddball formations & tactics.

The Eva Carneiro role is hardcoded to give your players morale boosts around their birthdays, yeah.

Do NOT sack her though.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Having one of my worst ever saves as Krasnodar, I've made a brilliant squad and promised to win the league (because that was the only option) but playing like utter poo poo and sat in 7th :negative: How can I be this loving bad at a game I've played for 15 years?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Walton Simons posted:

Having one of my worst ever saves as Krasnodar, I've made a brilliant squad and promised to win the league (because that was the only option) but playing like utter poo poo and sat in 7th :negative: How can I be this loving bad at a game I've played for 15 years?

Check it. Here's the real trick that the devs don't want you to know on how to be the best loving manager ever in FM.

Open up Steam. Right click on Football Manager. Click uninstall. Throw your whole loving computer out your window.

Blammo, Champiions League winners

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

It’s your tactics mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

It probably actually is, I just took my assman's advice, we're now mauling the league leaders away from home, we've had 3 clear cut chances to 1 half chance but unfortunately are only 1-0 up.

I know what's coming.

e: Went 2-0 up, had man sent off, went down to 2-2, had another man sent off, conceded again, ragequit. I think I've hit every classic FM trope in the 8 league games I've played. I'll go back and take the loss eventually but I've really not enjoyed this save other than transfer market stuff.

I can't manage big sides for some reason, I've taken conference clubs to European trophies and stuff but if I take over a big side I tend to fail terribly.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 23, 2018