Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Got the first issue of this comic at free comic book day and immediately bought the PDFs on their site (name your own price system too). Absolutely fantastic. It's also done in a horizontal layout making for much more cinematic panels that really use the art well.

http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/barrier

quote:

Barrier - An unconventional drama about violence, language and illegal immigration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Got the first issue of this comic at free comic book day and immediately bought the PDFs on their site (name your own price system too). Absolutely fantastic. It's also done in a horizontal layout making for much more cinematic panels that really use the art well.

Anything with Brian K. Vaughan is worth a look at

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Similarly I bought enough issues of Saga to catch me up

And now I'm gonna buy Barrier thanks to this post.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

splurged a bit.

Bought a second Switch and accessories.

and some loving dope caramel corn.

some dog grooming poo poo, my pup sheds like crazy, and I lost the old nailclippers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Why did you buy a second Switch?

I'm jealous and I don't have kids or anything.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Inzombiac posted:

Why did you buy a second Switch?

I'm jealous and I don't have kids or anything.

To hack. :devil:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hell yeah :getin:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A mug!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

A Zojirushi rice cooker, because my crappy Aroma either made soup or burned the dang rice and I'm too lazy to mind a pot on the stove. Also their logo is adorable :3:

Makes some loving amazing rice.

Expanding my scotch collection; Talisker 10yr and Ardbeg Corryvreckan. Tastes like being slapped in the face with smoldering kelp. In a good way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flame Boss 300 controller for my Egg. Makes long cooks so much more pleasant.

Apparently I can voice control it?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I found a zojirushi at a goodwill and it was the find of my life. They rule so much.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oneiros posted:

A Zojirushi rice cooker, because my crappy Aroma either made soup or burned the dang rice and I'm too lazy to mind a pot on the stove. Also their logo is adorable :3:

Expanding my scotch collection; Talisker 10yr and Ardbeg Corryvreckan. Tastes like being slapped in the face with smoldering kelp. In a good way.

How do you like Peat Monster? I haven't actually tried it and I rarely buy scotch (I'm more of a bourbon guy). I really like Laphroaig and Ardbeg and prefer my scotch to taste like you're wringing out a bog mummy into a glass. Think it's up my alley?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

How do you like Peat Monster? I haven't actually tried it and I rarely buy scotch (I'm more of a bourbon guy). I really like Laphroaig and Ardbeg and prefer my scotch to taste like you're wringing out a bog mummy into a glass. Think it's up my alley?

I like it a lot but it is not actually a peat monster (I have no idea why they chose that name for this blend); It's a more subtle blend of peaty smokiness (and some brine) and maybe a sweeter speyside? Not to be compared with your archetypical Ardbeg / Lagavulin / Talisker / Laphroaig.

If you like bourbon tho this is probably something you'd still be interested in. Just not as an example of the super-peated islay style.

Oneiros has a new favorite as of 20:23 on May 7, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oneiros posted:

While it's no :smug: Instant Pot :smug: I do love that brand.
If you don't already, try putting in two star anise and three crushed cardamom pods just before you cook.
That's for 2-3 cups of rice (before cooking).

It's amazing what they do to the flavor.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

While it's no :smug: Instant Pot :smug: I do love that brand.
If you don't already, try putting in two star anise and three crushed cardamom pods just before you cook.
That's for 2-3 cups of rice (before cooking).

It's amazing what they do to the flavor.

Apparantly Zojirushi does have (fuckoff expensive) pressure-cooker variants now, I guess to compete against Instant Pot?

Definitely gonna try the spiced rice thing, thanks!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Also, fun fact, it's calibrated for a Japanese "cup" which is about 3/4 of an American cup iirc.

I didn't know this for years and mine still made rice fine even though the ratio was off evidently!

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
I bought a condo! No pics because its just a plain 2 bedroom 800 sq. foot condo and its empty so not much to show. This is my third property I've owned but is the first one that I didn't go in with a partner. This one is all mine! I am going to make the second bedroom into a maker shop, the dining room into my art and design area and finally I'm going to put up all the geeky posters and movie props and kayak stuff and give zero fucks what anyone else thinks about it. :colbert:

Going to get one of these soon for much adventure and fishing this summer

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Aramek posted:

I didn't know this for years and mine still made rice fine even though the ratio was off evidently!
If you’re cooking by volume (and the z doesn’t care about quantity) the ratios should be fine, as 1:1 of rice and water is still 1:1 no matter how big your cup is.

Unless the z has a specific cups setting on it, then the more cups you add (or bigger your cup) the more wrong it’ll get.

If you’re cooking by volume and weight. Or cups and millilitres, :frogout:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Some people may use the Japanese cup that it comes with for the rice and an American cup for the water.

I did this for a while (to keep the first cup dry so I could toss it back in the bag) and usually didn't have many issues.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Aramek posted:

Also, fun fact, it's calibrated for a Japanese "cup" which is about 3/4 of an American cup iirc.

That's cause zojirushis are made of magic.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Z's bowl has lines etched in for how much water to add for how much rice you put in/what you wanna do with that rice.

Hell, I even made one of those fluffy Japanese cheesecakes in it once.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Aramek posted:

Z's bowl has lines etched in for how much water to add for how much rice you put in/what you wanna do with that rice.

Watch out for cockroaches. I was skeptical when reviewers mentioned it but there is a big crevice behind the screen they love to breed in.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fools Infinite posted:

Watch out for cockroaches. I was skeptical when reviewers mentioned it but there is a big crevice behind the screen they love to breed in.

Mine was thrown away because the crevice developed black mold and I am not going to take any risk with that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aramek posted:

All Japanese rice cookers have lines marked because in Japan people wash the rice first which makes it difficult to measure the total water just using a measuring cup.

Personally I don't usually bother washing California grown Japanese style rice but I do wash long grain rice that might have been in the south (to hopefully reduce possible arsenic).

mystes has a new favorite as of 01:48 on May 8, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

shipwrek posted:

Going to get one of these soon for much adventure and fishing this summer

Nice? Which one is it, I cant read the logo?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

Anything with Brian K. Vaughan is worth a look at

The Private Eye was pretty rad

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

mystes posted:

All Japanese rice cookers have lines marked because in Japan people wash the rice first which makes it difficult to measure the total water just using a measuring cup.

Personally I don't usually bother washing California grown Japanese style rice but I do wash long grain rice that might have been in the south (to hopefully reduce possible arsenic).

I don't think the washing is for cleanliness, it removes any dust leftover from the husk and makes the rice sticky, so it clumps nicely for chopstick eating.

I have a Zo neuro fuzzy rice cooker and a mini Zo 1-pound bread machine and I love them both. Kitchen technology for the win.

kreyla has a new favorite as of 04:27 on May 8, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

kreyla posted:

I don't think the washing is for cleanliness, it removes any dust leftover from the husk and makes the rice sticky, so it clumps nicely for chopstick eating.
It's not "for" cleanliness but afaik there is evidence that with modern rice it's not actually necessary for the reasons it's traditionally done but also that it does reduce arsenic content (only an issue with rice from the southern us).

mystes has a new favorite as of 04:43 on May 8, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

kreyla posted:

Washing the rice removes the excess starch present as rice dust, so it makes the rice less sticky when you cook it (starch + water = glue)

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the info, goons. I offer the zo recipe for cheesecake.

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/recipe/cheese-cake

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Washing the rice removes the excess starch present as rice dust, so it makes the rice less sticky when you cook it (starch + water = glue)

It took a while for the real answer, but there we go.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Short grain rice is inherently sticky whether you wash it or not. Growing up we always washed our rice because it was supposedly dirty.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

Short grain rice is inherently sticky whether you wash it or not. Growing up we always washed our rice because it was supposedly dirty.

When you rince your rice, if the water is milky white, it's the extra starch. Some rice are naturally more sticky but rinsing is far from useless

Also sometimes you want to keep that extra starch like for a risotto for example

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I know it's starch now. I'm just saying that some rice are always sticky.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Purchased a new watch and zappy lighter.

Really fond of the watch so far, has a built-in slide rule as well, so it's on theme for me.
The lighter was a bit of a gamble, but I figured it was better to have something battery powered for the few occasions I need to light a candle or similar. I previously bought a zippo for that reason, but they dry up in a week. :(

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

bongwizzard posted:

Nice? Which one is it, I cant read the logo?

Pelican 'the catch' 100. There is a longer version as well that has a bit more storage and weight capacity but this one is already going to be difficult enough to find storage for! Either way its a fun boat and WAY easier on the wallet than the Hobie and other brands out there. I'll post some reviews once I've had it out a few times if anyone is interested.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Spy_Guy posted:

Really fond of the watch so far, has a built-in slide rule as well, so it's on theme for me.
The lighter was a bit of a gamble, but I figured it was better to have something battery powered for the few occasions I need to light a candle or similar. I previously bought a zippo for that reason, but they dry up in a week. :(

I have the same watch! It owns! :hfive:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Spy_Guy posted:

If you get the fitness version does it have a built in astrolabe for tracking your runs?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I'm selling I've bought these fine leather jackets.

Splurged a bit, since I'm on a business trip where there's a good local production of leather and a local friend brought me to a good, non-touristy shop.

They weren't cheap, but they'll serve me for some time and I'd have paid thrice the price for these back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mikl posted:

I'm selling I've bought these fine leather jackets.

Splurged a bit, since I'm on a business trip where there's a good local production of leather and a local friend brought me to a good, non-touristy shop.

They weren't cheap, but they'll serve me for some time and I'd have paid thrice the price for these back home.

so what are they?