Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Unfunny Poster posted:

Is wearing a mouth guard not common in Judo? Seems like it'd make sense to do that but then again not many people I know wear mouth guards for BJJ or wrestling like I do.

Probably because they have dental insurance and I don't :smith:

Heh we usually wear them. In that exact circumstance, I realized I didn't have it in my mouth, said "gently caress it, we're doing a light thing I don't need it right now, it's a whole five feet away," and then I busted my face up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Pretty much no one at my club does. One woman who hasn't come in a while cracked a couple teeth and started to after that.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

Is wearing a mouth guard not common in Judo? Seems like it'd make sense to do that but then again not many people I know wear mouth guards for BJJ or wrestling like I do.

Probably because they have dental insurance and I don't :smith:

It's not but I do. I had one of my bridge work in my mouth knocked out in randori and I almost swallowed it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh I keep forgetting to add - we have a 5-year old girl at our club now who is becoming an amazing source of entertainment in judo. She has four older siblings and a dad who participate and compete, and she's been watching judo as long as she has been alive. She can tie her belt but not her shoes.

This loving girl. She's tiny for her age with platinum blonde pigtails and lightning blue eyes, and she's ankle picking and overhead throwing her brothers. I had a 11 year old boy come up to me after working with her and say "if she were any bigger she would have kicked my rear end just now."

It's one of the most :staredog: things I've ever seen when a tiny little doll of a girl grabs a resisting opponent and executes a sode tsurikomi goshi.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Worst injury I saw was at a tournament when one of my team mates did a standard over knee pass and the femur he was going over snapped in half. It was real gnarly, the dude probably had like bone density issues or something.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Oh I keep forgetting to add - we have a 5-year old girl at our club now who is becoming an amazing source of entertainment in judo. She has four older siblings and a dad who participate and compete, and she's been watching judo as long as she has been alive. She can tie her belt but not her shoes.

This loving girl. She's tiny for her age with platinum blonde pigtails and lightning blue eyes, and she's ankle picking and overhead throwing her brothers. I had a 11 year old boy come up to me after working with her and say "if she were any bigger she would have kicked my rear end just now."

It's one of the most :staredog: things I've ever seen when a tiny little doll of a girl grabs a resisting opponent and executes a sode tsurikomi goshi.

Wittle Wonda Wousey

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've never met anybody who didn't wear a mouthguard in BJJ. I've met some judo people who don't, they were old men and had some weird attitudes.

I really need to get one.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I really need to get one.

Not too difficult, SA is like a goldmine full of old men with weird attitudes.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

DandyLion posted:

Not too difficult, SA is like a goldmine full of old men with weird attitudes.

Im one of them. I havent felt the need to wear a mouthguard, but I know its just a matter of time before a trip to the dentist is in order.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Wearing a mouthguard is more about protecting your training partner from your teeth, which are sharp and have a tendency to cause really nasty infected wounds because of mouth bacteria. I refuse to roll with people who don't wear them.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Who the gently caress is biting you while rolling or why are your fingers in their mouth consistently?

I have yet to encounter a situation where I would have bitten my training partner. I've been kneed, elbowed and punched in the jaw a bunch and bitten my tongue a bunch but never that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JaySB posted:

Who the gently caress is biting you while rolling or why are your fingers in their mouth consistently?

I have yet to encounter a situation where I would have bitten my training partner. I've been kneed, elbowed and punched in the jaw a bunch and bitten my tongue a bunch but never that.

Do you do much throwing or wrestling from standing? When you do high velocity stuff people get hit in the mouth sometimes.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 8, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Do you do much throwing or wrestling from standing? When you do high velocity stuff people get hit in the mouth sometimes.

A bit, but never been in a position to be bitten.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JaySB posted:

A bit, but never been in a position to be bitten.

It's not "biting", it's taking an elbow or headbutt to the mouth. To wit: http://ballislife.com/remembering-david-lees-nasty-career-threatening-elbow-injury-caused-by-wilson-chandlers-tooth/

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i seek to keep my opponent's pummeling elbows, knees and fists safe from the vicious horrors of my teeth

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I think Mecha is right. I have been bit:

and scratched (by someone who didnt trim their toenails):

In the last couple of months.

I threw some antibiotic on both...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Are we doing these? I got eye poked by a guy with long fingernails last month.

Trim your nails kids

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Mouthguards also protect your jaw along with the teeth. It's a minor thing to avoid major difficulties.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Some kid did a failed double on me. Went face first in my knee. His tooth tore right through his lip and poked a hole through my spats and knee. He bought a mouthpiece the next day.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Is this just for like randori and sparring, or do you put the mouthguard in any time you're working techniques?

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Got one after I was put in an RNC and my tongue got caught between my teeth and almost bit part of my tongue off

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Cephas posted:

Is this just for like randori and sparring, or do you put the mouthguard in any time you're working techniques?

Depends on the techniques but usually only for randori/sparring. Techniques, if done with high velocity or I don't trust the guy doing them on me I'll pop it in.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cephas posted:

I only do it for randori or position sparring.

If I'm paired with one of tye middle school/high school kids who spaz out at everything then I pop it in. Takes a whole 5s and saves a trip to the dentist.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Cephas posted:

Anything with a partner. I have a gladiator pro which stays put and has no impact on breathing or talking. 99% of the time its moot, and 1% of the time I'm glad to be wearing it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wearing a mouthguard is more about protecting your training partner from your teeth, which are sharp and have a tendency to cause really nasty infected wounds because of mouth bacteria. I refuse to roll with people who don't wear them.

Lol what

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Biting is a tried and true combat sports technique. Pleb.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Jesus Blanka clip those nails b

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would not roll with.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

He's right though.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I wear a guard to protect my teeth but MechaFunk is right that accidental bites can cause nasty infections

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mouthguards do so many useful things:

*Protect your teeth from break
*Protect your lips and tongue from your teeth
*Protect your friends from your teeth

These are all good things and any one of these three things is good enough on its own to make mouthguards worth wearing, which makes it kind of silly to argue about which of them is the most important.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Protects the jaw too. Which can be a bigger deal if less likely to go wrong.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I have not been bitten but have received countless knees to the face from guys passing my guard which is a reminder that my guard sucks poo poo. Also, once I rolled with a guy whose gi smelled like sauerkraut.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Most guys in my no gi class use mouthguards and my instructor highly recommends them. I am one of those who doesn't use one.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

At my sambo club, you're not even allowed to roll if you don't have a mouthguard.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

CommonShore posted:

This is honestly happening to me with my 9 year old nephew. I need to pick up a grappling sport again or he's going to kick my rear end to the north pole and back when he grows up.

I can't wait :allears:

I don't bite people in sparring, but that certainly happened in actual fights where i was getting my rear end kicked.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I live in a country where having dental care is a privilege and not a right, so I wear a mouthguard. The end.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I have never used one. Does it restrict your breathing at all? Is it easier to breathe without one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I've certainly found it easier to breathe without one, but I don't actually know why thats the case. Muay Thai - Mouthguard not optional.