Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Neat, so I can play this on my Surface tablet. It's not fast or shiny. But I can play on my off time away from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Any good battlemaster fits? I've fitted my current one with max armor, 3x JJs, 7 MLAS and 2x SLAS. About as close as I can get to a kodiak, I think.

Also, was that Mitch in the Defend the Dropships story mission?

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 9, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not sure about that, but Mitch voiced Raju "Mastiff/MechDad" Montgomery.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yes, that's his other VO work in this game

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

JJ doesn't provide free pips, it counts as movement, and is affected by the increased distances needed to generate evasion. JJ isn't providing me with more evasion pips than moving would it seems.

edit: oh you mean in regards to height. Seeing as how I started this mission at the base of a large, shallow hill and am trying to fight my way up against withering fire from the treeline (which seems to add obstructed bonuses?), JJ isn't helping me much

Besides the height modifiers, the trick is that JJs let you move past your mech's speed if you've got enough of them, which certain chassis will find rewarding given the buff to pips.

Optimal playstyle already involves moving into good positions + Vigilance, so you improved that, while doing nothing against the optimal strategy of counterfire with breaching shot + multishot + missiles into knocking down the enemy, which will ignore/strip the buffed enemy defense.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Besides the height modifiers, the trick is that JJs let you move past your mech's speed if you've got enough of them, which certain chassis will find rewarding given the buff to pips.

Optimal playstyle already involves moving into good positions + Vigilance, so you improved that, while doing nothing against the optimal strategy of counterfire with breaching shot + multishot + missiles into knocking down the enemy, which will ignore/strip the buffed enemy defense.

How does breaching shot, multishot and missiles hit things with high evasion in the first place, especially against targets on higher ground? Not trying to be argumentative or pedantic, genuinely asking.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Targeting computers and high gunnery skill will help, but yeah something with 5 evasion pips can be hard to hit. Fortunately if you hit them with enough LRMs or other anti-stability weapon, they will lose their evasion if not fall down completely. Add multishot to the mix and you can potentially destabilize multiple mechs a turn.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

School Nickname posted:

Any good battlemaster fits? I've fitted my current one with max armor, 3x JJs, 7 MLAS and 2x SLAS. About as close as I can get to a kodiak, I think.

Battlemasters are very similar to Orions -- they have the exact same spare tonnage but trade some armor for initiative. IMO either mount an AC/20 if you want it to hit hard, or have it be a tanky recon (I'd probably give it a PPC in that case since full MLasers makes it hit weaker than some mediums like Kintaro/Griffin-1N).

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Someone post the old MWO mawesome gif please tia

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Awesomes are still great in this in stock-only fights. They're one of the few mechs that doesn't have low armor and/or explosives stuffed into every torso including the CT.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Asimov posted:

Targeting computers and high gunnery skill will help, but yeah something with 5 evasion pips can be hard to hit. Fortunately if you hit them with enough LRMs or other anti-stability weapon, they will lose their evasion if not fall down completely. Add multishot to the mix and you can potentially destabilize multiple mechs a turn.

I fail to see how this is an issue though. You're regularly against double or more your forces, so you want the player to have access to special tools to even the score.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I tried switching it up (still in the assault/light mechs part of the game) with rocking a laser spammer and a SRM close range fighter. Still ended up riding on my two LRM users to do most of the fighting.

I guess I should proceed further into the story so I can at least start getting better non-LRM weapons and mechs.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The only time I've experienced that with other games were with graphics cards failing or overheating.

Sure hope it’s not failing, it’s less than six months old! I’ll try to see if it’s overheating.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I fail to see how this is an issue though. You're regularly against double or more your forces, so you want the player to have access to special tools to even the score.

I guess I'm not sure which side I'm supposed to be arguing here. The special tools you have as a player are your ability to think critically and game the system to your advantage. I think good game balance means that the AI and players are subject to identical mechanics. If enemy mechs are always stock and not custom, then yes that is a bit unfair for the AI even with superior numbers.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Asimov posted:

I guess I'm not sure which side I'm supposed to be arguing here. The special tools you have as a player are your ability to think critically and game the system to your advantage. I think good game balance means that the AI and players are subject to identical mechanics. If enemy mechs are always stock and not custom, then yes that is a bit unfair for the AI even with superior numbers.

I don't neccesarily agree. Look at xcom, for instance. You're always outnumbered, usually outgunned, but you have a series of special skills and abilities that you need to utilize to even the playing field.

I'm not saying this game is balanced well; I'm loving around with mechanics after all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eej posted:

I'd just like to remind everyone discussing how we'd like this game to succeed to step back and appreciate how goofy Battletech is and keep that irreverance in your heart.

Bless you lovely battletech art.

Marauder copied straight from the Macross reference art:

"Guys we cant just use tracings forever, we've got to do our own art!"
"I've got this!"

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Is that this thing?

Asimov fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 9, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yup.

Did those things at the back get adapted into the Ost-series mechs?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 9, 2018

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Asimov posted:

After a while, when your merc company starts gaining a reputation, you should start running into customized 'mechs that are copies of your most successful builds

because like, other merc units are gonna start talking and realize that putting 4 SRM6s/4 ML on a Stalker isn't a HUGE refit and those other dudes are getting some crazy results out of it, soooo

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

After a while, when your merc company starts gaining a reputation, you should start running into customized 'mechs that are copies of your most successful builds

because like, other merc units are gonna start talking and realize that putting 4 SRM6s/4 ML on a Stalker isn't a HUGE refit and those other dudes are getting some crazy results out of it, soooo

You should start running into other player's merc. units.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Pattonesque posted:

That would actually be crazy fun.

One of the largest stale factors is seeing a certain tonnage signature and just knowing "Oh blah another X"

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Yeah that would be great. AI has a small chance to pick mechs that people have used in multiplayer? Random mutation? Sky's the limit really but I'm excited for crazy unexpected mech configurations from the AI.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Synthbuttrange posted:

Bless you lovely battletech art.

Marauder copied straight from the Macross reference art:

"Guys we cant just use tracings forever, we've got to do our own art!"
"I've got this!"

Oh no, the funny thing is they licensed it and it turns out the company that licensed it to them didn't have permission to do that.

That's why HG got pissed. And now it turns out the company that sold HG the license for Macross didn't have permission either.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Asimov posted:

Yeah that would be great. AI has a small chance to pick mechs that people have used in multiplayer? Random mutation? Sky's the limit really but I'm excited for crazy unexpected mech configurations from the AI.
This would be cool as a way to ensure you see Firestarters and Jenners as 4-5 skull enemies, but I get the feeling the pitch is more for "I want to fight optimal Orion and Highlanders"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Unormal posted:

Hell yeah that would own

Gwaihir posted:

That would actually be crazy fun.

One of the largest stale factors is seeing a certain tonnage signature and just knowing "Oh blah another X"

Yeah at this point it's like "OK, 95 tons, only 95-tonner is a Banshee, can kill last unless it gets in melee range. 80 tons, if it's a Victor keep away, if it's an Awesome put it down quickly, if it's a Zeus who gives a poo poo"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Argas posted:

Oh no, the funny thing is they licensed it and it turns out the company that licensed it to them didn't have permission to do that.

That's why HG got pissed. And now it turns out the company that sold HG the license for Macross didn't have permission either.

An elaborate series of legal hoists

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asimov posted:

Is that this thing?

I'm not sure if that is from a Macross cartoon or Battletech cartoon. :/

The brown guy is a knockoff Veritech Valkyrie
The white and blue guy back there is a Esbeliben Reguld
And the foreground grey and white guy is a Roiquonmi Glaug

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EoRaptor posted:

I'm not sure if that is from a Macross cartoon or Battletech cartoon. :/

The brown guy is a knockoff Veritech Valkyrie
The white and blue guy back there is a Esbeliben Reguld
And the foreground grey and white guy is a Roiquonmi Glaug

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Unormal posted:

This is actually a very interesting idea.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Odds are if you see some goofy rear end macross poo poo that looks like its got macross mechs, it's from macross

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Macross then. It's been more than a decade since I've watched any of the shows, and super janky animation is no clue. :)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unormal posted:

There should have been side missions based off of your background information because otherwise it's just lovely pointless flavor text.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EoRaptor posted:

Macross then. It's been more than a decade since I've watched any of the shows, and super janky animation is no clue. :)

I don't know how far back the HG piss wars started but it was before the BTech cartoon for sure.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Battletech cartoon wishes it had animation that good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_-8D8R4CU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tae posted:

Holy poo poo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tae posted:

I still don't understand how that ever saw the light of day :psyduck:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Look, what do you want from a Lyran media company? Quality?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Federal restrictions on cartoons needing to be educational were dropped. Everything got thrown at the wall to see what this new era would bring in the way of toy sales.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Salvage RNG was on point today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jYPDOX22l4