Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Imagine trying to leave a budget time bomb for known political genius Bill "Checks Zingers" Shorten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

It certainly feels like an election budget, Vote for us now and maybe we will give out our promises, and for our voter bases out there (Boomers) You will get a sweet tax cut! :v:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Stevefin posted:

It certainly feels like an election budget, Vote for us now and maybe we will give out our promises, and for our voter bases out there (Boomers) You will get a sweet tax cut! :v:

It's pretty pitiful compared to the cash splashes of the Howard era
I mean even the ruddbucks and pink batts were better, and they actually did a good job at stimulating demand

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I didn't need this.

Nobody needed this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
May Day. The highest concentration of people unironically using the word poofter and talking about poo poo that happened before I was born on earth.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
:rip: alp

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Hahaha that courier mail front page is great

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
ACT Senator Gallagher out due to Section 44. Possibly more to come.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Digiwizzard posted:

Our head of concentration camps is now also the head of secret police.
If we stop administering the electric shocks to your genitals, we will be going soft on terror.

Kommando posted:

A set up to make it hard for the next government?
DING DING DING!

Entrenching structural budgetary disaster is the LNPs main policy plank.

:toxx: :siren: :toxx: If the LNP are still in power in 2020 and the budget is in surplus (As this budget assures us). I will never post again*. :toxx: :siren: :toxx:

*Possibly because I'm in a SERCO camp which only has Optus NBN.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Doctor Spaceman posted:

ACT Senator Gallagher out due to Section 44. Possibly more to come.

Also the Centre Alliance member in the House of Reps has also been flagged as being illegitimate

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it’ll be interesting to see the high court’s argument, as from what i understand this ruling basically puts people at the mercy of foreign governments’ bureaucratic efficiency.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Surely you plan to run as a pollie for a long time before the election.

Tough poo poo if you don’t get it done in time.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ok so from the live blog the position seems to be “if the british take a long time to confirm your decision to drop your citizenship, tough luck” which is a really stupid position but that’s the law i guess

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bigis posted:

you might plan to run but there’s no guarantee you’ll be preselected. personally i don’t think people should have to abandon privileges on the off chance that they’ll need to do so at some indeterminate future point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bigis posted:

It penalises people for trying to take part in the system and doesn't actually do anything useful.

It's a poo poo law and should be changed.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Ok? If you don’t want to give it up citizenship then don’t apply to be an MP. The public isn’t going to vote to change the constitution.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thank you for your forthright analysis

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

imagine applying to be a bureaucrat but you can't navigate bureaucracy or box tick effectively.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This from a thread that believes every single facet of daily life should be centrally controlled loving lmao

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

politicians aren’t bureaucrats tho

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bigis posted:

Ok? If you don’t want to give it up citizenship then don’t apply to be an MP.

Yeah, like I said it puts up barriers to political involvement for no useful purpose at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

who the gently caress do they manage and inform

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, like I said it puts up barriers to political involvement for no useful purpose at all.

it puts up barriers to being a politician in australia which is the dumbest and most stupid non-purposeful political involvement on earth

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I’d also like to please change the constitution because it makes applying for a specific job difficult.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bigis posted:

I’d also like to please change the constitution because it makes applying for a specific job difficult.

I'm glad you agree.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bigis posted:

and i thought my posts were dumb

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Reading the judgment the Court seems to have decided that for the exemption to apply the foreign law must “irremediably prevent” you from being able to renounce, based on what was decided in Sykes v Cleary.

Except that the test in Sykes v Cleary wasn’t whether the foreign law was “irremediable.” The test was whether all reasonable steps had been taken. Indeed, “irremediably prevented” was originally a throwaway line which the current Court have now construed as a necessary condition to engage the exception.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-09/childrens-cow-statue-design-altered-taiwan-flag-painted-over-qld/9739574

quote:

A family is outraged after Taiwanese flags were painted over by council on children's artwork on a bull statue erected along Rockhampton's Riverbank.
Students from various schools in Rockhampton, in central Queensland, were asked to paint six bull statues as part of a joint initiative by Rockhampton Regional Council and Beef Australia for this week's biggest cattle industry event in the country.
One of those bulls was painted with barramundi-shaped flags by students at North Rockhampton High School.
Taiwan-born siblings, Amber Jun Xie and Iu Ting Xie, painted their country's flag on the bull's body.
Stepfather Lawrence Downing said his children had done "a great job".
"They were asked to paint their culture," he said.
The bull was picked up by council officers on April 30.
Just days ago, it was erected along Rockhampton's Riverbank for this week's Beef Australia.
The plaque reads: "This bull celebrates the cultural diversity of the Rockhampton community".
But the student's two Taiwanese flags — one painted on the front leg and another on the rear of the other side of the statue — had been painted over.

The council's department, Advance Rockhampton, has taken the blame for covering up the bull's Taiwanese flags.
"Advance Rockhampton made a decision to change one bull statue on display in Quay Street in line with the Australian Government's approach of adhering to the one-China policy," general manager Tony Cullen said.
The People's Republic of China claims Taiwan as its territory, however Taiwan operates like a separate country with its own constitution, parliament, and currency.
The Australian Government does not display Taiwanese flags, however there is no federal directive to state or local governments about what they should do.
In recent years, China has emerged as increasingly important for Australia's beef industry and is one of its biggest export destinations.
"We highly value the relationship with all of our international trading partners and the opportunities they present for our region," Mr Cullen said.
"The school was contacted prior to the changes being made."
Pretty gutsy to claim you're ~celebrating cultural diversity~ while preventing children from expressing their culture

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bandaid.friend posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-09/childrens-cow-statue-design-altered-taiwan-flag-painted-over-qld/9739574

Pretty gutsy to claim you're ~celebrating cultural diversity~ while preventing children from expressing their culture

They probably should have painted Chinese flags if they wanted to celebrate their culture.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love how quickly long term, dogged unionists who want to be a politician get on facebook and laud initiatives like private gyms offering baby memberships to kids to fight obesity and poo poo

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I guess there is an irony that s44 was presumably written to prevent the interference of foreign powers yet here we are.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JBP posted:

They probably should have painted Chinese flags if they wanted to celebrate their culture.

hot take comin through

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BBJoey posted:

this is what politicians want to believe

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
For those who are unaware, Rockhampton has made the bold choice to decorate their town with anatomically correct statues of bulls that are then brightly painted.

I like to think in preparation they also reattached all of the pairs of testicles that are periodically removed by drunk bogans.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it should be hard to become a politician so only psychopaths who were members of young libs/labs get into parliament

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

it should be hard to become a politician so only psychopaths who were members of young libs/labs get into parliament

it's cute that you think s44 or literally anything else will ever stop mentally ill being the most successful

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/patbcaruana/status/993960771775119360

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why is this an election budget when the liberals can roll out another budget next year since we won't poll until AFL grand final 2019?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JBP posted:

Why is this an election budget when the liberals can roll out another budget next year since we won't poll until AFL grand final 2019?

A half-senate election has to be held within the next year or so.

• Locked thread