Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

TryAgainBragg posted:

In as Thisisfbi
Invite sent :smugwizard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exewu
Jun 21, 2009
<br>
in as exewu

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Exewu posted:

in as exewu
You've been invited :eyepop:

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...
in as unoplank

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

unoplank posted:

in as unoplank

invite sent, press butan

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
Vollrath invite please

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

In as Crateria

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Crateria posted:

In as Crateria
Invite sent :smaug:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
SaucerCrab, some pubby posted fan art of you on the Amar forums.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Crescent Wrench posted:

SaucerCrab, some pubby posted fan art of you on the Amar forums.

Was it a known pubbie or some random?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

Was it a known pubbie or some random?

Someone named Katzilla, don't know if this is a known person or what. There's a "bad art" thread, and it features an awful lot of mordaq references...

nh
Feb 2, 2003
in as myroch

edit: I got an invite in the Discord. Is that starter guide in the OP still relevant or nah?

nh fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 17, 2018

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Can one of you post the current Highscore thing? I'm interested in your progress.

Edit: nvm, just noticed I can visit https://amar.bornofsnails.net/man/highscores/guild Good job!

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 30, 2018

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Completely missed that fan art.

In other news

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Congrats on getting to third place in the rankings.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
oh my god this game's pubbies are aggressively horrendous

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Saucer Crab posted:

Completely missed that fan art.

In other news

Thanks for these screenshots. My god those people are hosed up racists normal americans and not afraid to show it.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Boy am I glad I left and didn't go back. poo poo like that makes my blood boil :(

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Well, in NoobishPro's defense, he's not a racist American, he's a racist Netherlander so he doesn't actually have any context for America, really.

World chat is loving garbage and I don't regret at all having mostly quit too (though I do want us to reach #2 guild rankings).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Colin Mockery posted:

Well, in NoobishPro's defense, he's not a racist American, he's a racist Netherlander so he doesn't actually have any context for America, really.

World chat is loving garbage and I don't regret at all having mostly quit too (though I do want us to reach #2 guild rankings).

I don't think you need context to know that segregation is bad. There's also tons of movies and internet posts in general about all of this. No he's fully aware and trying to push buttons.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

personally I'm glad Grumpy implemented tabbed chat because now I can keep up with the lovely world chat if I feel like suffering (and participate in impromptu amar development discussions) and if not I just don't hit that tab and let the slime slink back into the sewer.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Can I get an invite. Username same as forums.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ModeSix posted:

Can I get an invite. Username same as forums.

invite sent :f5:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

oldskool posted:

personally I'm glad Grumpy implemented tabbed chat because now I can keep up with the lovely world chat if I feel like suffering (and participate in impromptu amar development discussions) and if not I just don't hit that tab and let the slime slink back into the sewer.

Yeah, this is a nice change. World chat is unbearable to have shoved in your face, but it's fun to poke them once in awhile, or at least be able to check in if other goons mention some shenanigans.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
Can I get an invite as Klemm Chowda?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm in as calcium and seeking a guild invite

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Hi Jinx posted:

Can I get an invite as Klemm Chowda?

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'm in as calcium and seeking a guild invite

sent invites to both, :f5:
sorry for the delay

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

In as Zeg :hist101:

I'm looking forward to people getting mad at world chat.

e: Nightshade leaves are a goddamn myth.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:siren: archipelago update :siren:

If you have 50+ Gathering, Peaches and Tangerines are now a thing that exists and nobody in the game has any, so it would be good if you could make a trip to the archipelago, complete the quest & get some new fruit orchards rotating.

XyzzyYYZ
Feb 6, 2008
Nothing happens.
Playing as XyzzyYYZ

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

XyzzyYYZ posted:

Playing as XyzzyYYZ

invite sent, :f5:

Also gingerbread gardens are back so if you can input a cycle of seeds a day that gets you the ingredients to make some more hilariously overpowered gingerbread equipment

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What's the good gingerbread gear to target?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

First, get one of each piece of gear: 1 ring, 1 bracelet, 1 pendant. Update outfits as appropriate.

After that I'd get a good stock of bracelets and a few more rings.

Pendant is mostly useful when casting, so you should only need a couple of them, unless your max mana is really low and/or you like saving up for big cast batches. This is probably a little more useful to have on all the time now that easter pendants are not required for golden eggs.

Rings are in the "nice to have" category, but there's not really anything better to put in the ring slot.

Bracelets are still OP compared to any other bracelet, so you want a lot of those.

If you plan on wearing the pendant all the time, I'd go with a ratio of around 2 to 3 to 4 pendants:rings:bracelets. If you're only going to use it while casting, something closer to 1:4:5 would be ideal. The breakrate is really low on everything and you should have no problem getting enough gear to last the year if you cycle your gardens on time.

Houses are trash, unless you have a really pressing need. There's not really anything in the game that can make use of all the effects of the house together, and also remember that 100% DD means you'll actually be using up 2 actions of the house per timer cycle, so it is basically a 20 minute buff (unless you use it on something where the -60 timer doesn't get you to 20). And if using it with 15 min timer, it lasts 15 minutes. The cumulative effect of wearing a bracelet+ring over its expected lifetime adds up to way more than the house gives. That said, if you've got like 50+ of each piece of equipment, that should more than last the year and if you still have dough to spend it can't hurt to have a couple around for...something. Still can't think of a good use case for it.

Happysafer
Feb 12, 2007

"You idiots!"
In as Robert A. Heineken

edit: please invite me. I really want to help harvest nerd tears.

Happysafer fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 28, 2018

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Starting Gear Set for Newbies
Everything should be in the "Gear" storage in Aeon Bay (in Cadenberge Territory)

RD = Random Drop
DD = Double Drop
Superior: the item name is pink

Head: Headless Horseman's Hat (-5 min timer, -100% RD), Dazzling Festive Hat (+100% RD)
Neck: Scarecrow's Scarf (+1 to all item sets)
Torso: Superior Blue/Yellow/Red Sea Silk Shirt*
Hands: Superior Blue/Yellow/Red Sea Silk Gloves*
Legs: Superior Blue/Yellow/Red Sea Silk Pants*
Feet: Dazzling Festive Boots (+10% DD)
Left Hand: the relevant tool for the skill you're training; you can only equip the weakest tools to start with
Right Hand: Superior Basic Spellbook (+1 mana regen, requires level 5 magic**)
Left Bracelet: Gingerbread Bracelet
Right Bracelet: Nothing (you can't equip anything in this slot yet :( )
Amulet: Gingerbread Pendant (+15 max mana, really useful early on)
Ring: Gingerbread Ring (-2 timer)
Accessory: Superior Abounding Horn of Plenty (-4 timer, some DD)

*: Craftable Clothing
For general use, if you have the scarecrow's scarf, wearing 1 of each superior sea silk primary color will give you -6 timer, +90% RD, +18% DD, and +18% success. That's good enough if you're lazy and don't care.

A superior piece of clothing is worth +2 to the item set, which gives you a total of +3 if you have the scarf equipped.

For advanced use, if you want to fully maximize one stat, you will want the superior primary T3 (Sea Silk, 18%) + the normal mixed-color T3 (Sea Silk, 9%) + the superior primary T2 (Qivuit, 12%). That'll give you a total of +39% (or 195% RD) of your desired stat.

Blue = RD
Yellow = DD
Red = Success

Orange = Success
Green = DD
Purple = RD

**: MAGIC
Train your magic. Follow the magic guide in the OP. It is very important to get to 5 magic so you can equip the spellbook, which doubles your mana regen.

Starting Food for Newbies:
you will run out of carrying capacity before you manage to noticeably dent the guild's stockpile of food

There's lots of different foods that have similar effects but if you're not sure what to get, here's some sample foods for each category. You can also search by effect name in the top-right "Looking for something?" Search box and it will bring up a list of which foods have which effects and how much we have of each.

For mana, I think you won't get the regen if you're at max mana but still have the effect going, so don't eat too many at once.

Timer: cherry pie, pumpkin ale
RD: crab legs (50%), steamed shellfish (50%), lucky valentine card (200%),
DD: crab stuffed sturgeons, lobster tails, rose-scented candle
Success: glazed salmon, iris-scented candle, stuffed peppers
Mana: bottle of lightning (1/action), raw sea urchin (5/action), frog legs (5/action)

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Also, it's been a looong time since I last looked at the lovely cesspool that is world chat, at the time, we were the only post-scarcity fully automated luxury gay space communism guild. I doubt pubbies have gotten any better at sharing, so you can probably rile them up just by "accidentally" asking in world chat if someone can mail you a full superior sea silk set or acting like you in some other way don't understand about resource scarcity.

Even the dev for some dumbass reason didn't believe we just throw all our poo poo into a shared storage and forget about it except for the once-in-a-while reminders that the food's supposed to be eaten, not just hoarded.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

At least in first island storages, we don't have any superior blue sea silk gear. A small handful of non-superior pants. I'm not high enough tailoring to even attempt to assist on making more of any of it, though.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

If you need sea silk gear dyed up hit me up in game and I'll send you some

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

taiyoko posted:

At least in first island storages, we don't have any superior blue sea silk gear. A small handful of non-superior pants. I'm not high enough tailoring to even attempt to assist on making more of any of it, though.

Oh, poo poo, good point. I'll move them now, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happysafer
Feb 12, 2007

"You idiots!"
Thanks for the invite, and thanks for the gear guide, Colin Mockery.

Seem to be working much faster now. I've been chopping wood, but I noticed a ton of ore, so maybe I'll smelt some of that when I'm done with my garden.

A pubbie gave me a Bloody Mirror so I've been able to train my Magic quickly.

I'm not sure if game chat is working for me at the moment, so I'm sorry if I spammed it.