Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

THAR'S GOLD IN THAT THERE WATER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-GhUvJs1AA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

This is why YouTube was made.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Bajaha posted:

Say what you will about cyclists, at least they don't literally poo poo on the road

This reminds me of being a stupid kid. My small hometown has an annual festival with a parade, which usually gets some horses in it. At the end of the parade there are usually a couple clowns on poo poo patrol. One year they carried a sign that said "road apples, 10c each". Being too young and stupid to get the joke, and being really hungry and impatient after watching a 1 hour parade, I started begging my dad for one. "please dad can we get an apple? I'm SOO HUNGRY" etc etc. Of course my dad didn't realize I was serious so he just smiled and ignored me as if I was joking.

It was several years later that I realized what happened and a huge wave of delayed embarrassment hit me like a truck.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Anyway car runs again, just gotta put the cowl back together. There's a fresh CEL, first time I started it the evap line was unplugged so is probably that, hopefully it goes away after a few drive cycles.

I'm sure the fresh coolant will knock some crud loose, I'll probably flush it again sometime in the next year.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Strangely it's actually the 4th anniversary of the time a gentleman decided he could dive into a 90 degree corner in his car and outbrake/outmanouvre a bike. Turns out physics dictates that no, no you can't. After I'd ricocheted off his passenger door and picked myself up off the street he was annoyed because I had now made him late for work...

Drivers are as lovely as cyclists sometimes, all humans are capable of being absolute morons at the best of times. But getting mad because a person is cycling on the road is loving stupid. My right knee clicks now, dude never even got so much as a telling off despite there being multiple witnesses. Don't be a oval office driver, listen to some chill-rear end music in your deathbox before you hurt someone. If a cyclist goes out of their way to ride a red, gently caress 'em, if they get merked then it's their own fault. Sitting in your car seething about it won't make any difference so why even bother?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

angryrobots posted:

I've had that same experience several times... Hanging back waiting on traffic to clear so I can cleanly pass a cyclist and they start waving their hands about, wanting me to come around. You want me to squeeze you to the shoulder or what?

Probably. If I have someone behind me for a long time, say on a climb, I feel bad about it. If the car's been there a for more than a couple minutes without trying dodgy pass, they're probably safe enough to violate the 3 foot law, very slowly. If you can safely, of they wave you along pass at like 5mph faster than the bike.
There's actually an explict section in a lot of 3 foot pass laws that allow you to pass less than 3 feet if you are going slow.

Edit: also, even if they are a safe driver at some point they may lose their cool and do something dumb. I'd rather they be in front of me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bike lanes are cool, I wish we had them here.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Powershift posted:

This is a joke, and the red line actually represents "stanley cup"

I laughed way longer and way harder at this than should be allowed - bordering on that manic Dr Evil bad guy laughter.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Bike lanes are cool, I wish we had them here.

Indiana is the worst place I've ever ridden a bike. Oddly, despite the poor infastructure, the south (TN, MS, LA) had some of the most bike friendly drivers I've seen. Esp Louisiana.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

Indiana is the worst place

I'm inclined to agree.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The only "cyclists" that piss me off are the morons with DUIs or whatever reason they can't drive, riding around their used and abused walmart women's "mountain bike" they got off craigslist for $20 with halfway inflated tires, on the wrong side of the road on the sidewalk and then ride right in front of you as you're about to make a right turn then look at you like you're the rear end in a top hat. If you're going to ride on the wrong side of the road at least have enough brains not to ride in front of cars making a right turn, ESPECIALLY if the driver is looking in the opposite loving direction. This happens way too much that it should, and the last time the idiot I almost ran over actually stopped to yell at me like I was the dumbass.

I have no problems with experienced cyclists that actually know what the gently caress they are doing and give them plenty of room even if they want to take up an entire lane I really don't care.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Still the best bloody advert I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7aKLuHK7k

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The only "cyclists" that piss me off are the morons with DUIs or whatever reason they can't drive, riding around their used and abused walmart women's "mountain bike" they got off craigslist for $20 with halfway inflated tires, on the wrong side of the road on the sidewalk and then ride right in front of you as you're about to make a right turn then look at you like you're the rear end in a top hat. If you're going to ride on the wrong side of the road at least have enough brains not to ride in front of cars making a right turn, ESPECIALLY if the driver is looking in the opposite loving direction. This happens way too much that it should, and the last time the idiot I almost ran over actually stopped to yell at me like I was the dumbass.

I have no problems with experienced cyclists that actually know what the gently caress they are doing and give them plenty of room even if they want to take up an entire lane I really don't care.

All the ones out by me upgraded to the bikes with 2 stroke engines. So now at least you hear them before they run into you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If a cyclist goes out of their way to ride a red, gently caress 'em, if they get merked then it's their own fault.
Yep. The problem is that no one in a position to influence things like road safety in cities will ever stick their head above the parapet with that one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Advance remains my parts chain of choice. Read the ecu and there were like 4 throttle position sensor codes. AZ has refused to erase codes in the past, but I told the guy here I'd had the intake/throttle body off and he was like "oh ok lemme clear those for ya".

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Enourmo posted:

Advance remains my parts chain of choice. Read the ecu and there were like 4 throttle position sensor codes. AZ has refused to erase codes in the past, but I told the guy here I'd had the intake/throttle body off and he was like "oh ok lemme clear those for ya".

Pick up one of the cheap BT scanners off of Amazon or eBay and get torque app if you have an Android phone. If you have an iPhone find a WiFi dongle instead.

Seriously worth every penny.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

"poor life choices" cyclists are right up there with "adults on razor scooter" and "35+ year olds on bmxs"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The French have a whole category of deathtrap DUI idiot mobiles in the voitures sans permis / voiturettes: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiture_sans_permis

if you can't read french they are basically a descendent of early quadricycles, now frequently the classification is used for weird little electrical cars in addition to DUImobiles. you have to be 21 to get insurance on your death trap. new ones are pretty expensive starting around 9.000 which is absolutely insane since you can get a brand new Sandero for 8.000.

edit: loving a I found a great quote from an article about VSPs

quote:

They also exist in Portugal, mostly in the countryside, where they are called "mata-velhos", in English maybe "oldies-killer", because they are mostly used by old people and there are many fatal accidents.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 8, 2018

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Ok this is neat.

Or it's the job of the police to follow death around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCKgflcauH0

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have any of you fine gentlegoons driven the new Accord 2.0t with the 6-speed yet?

I want to stave off the inevitable death of the sedan in the US and I'm considering getting one. I'm coming from a G35x, so I'm still in the market for something kinda quick and also japanese reliable and this time with a manual.

TIA Namaste

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bajaha posted:

Pick up one of the cheap BT scanners off of Amazon or eBay and get torque app if you have an Android phone. If you have an iPhone find a WiFi dongle instead.

I keep meaning to, I've even gotten recs here, just never got around to ordering.

So now all that's left is actually replacing the bad heater core that caused all this. And actually getting my parking brake working, which was the one good thing about driving my grandma's car. And sort out the abs light that's been on since I got the car. Bleh.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

"poor life choices" cyclists are right up there with "adults on razor scooter" and "35+ year olds on bmxs"

Actually, the adult sized BMX bikes that SE Racing has been coming out with lately are loving sweet, and make for a great cruiser.

A buddy of mine has a 26" Quad Angle and it's a fun ride, they also come in 24, 27.5, 29 inch sizes. Don't think I'd own one tho as they get pretty pricey.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Bajaha posted:

Yeah man I have the "Vera Peak" one and it was like $12 when I got it, works great. With apps you can even delve further and customize some functions.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bajaha posted:

Seconding that. Plus you can use the dongle/phone combo as a set of additional gauges. Both DashCommand and ODB Fusion on my iPhone give me all kinds of customizable gauges, and dashboards. If there's a PID for it, they can display it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The worst part of getting food poisoning the same night that that you've drank most of a bottle of wine is that no one believes you or is sympathetic to your illness

Enourmo posted:

I keep meaning to, I've even gotten recs here, just never got around to ordering.

So now all that's left is actually replacing the bad heater core that caused all this. And actually getting my parking brake working, which was the one good thing about driving my grandma's car. And sort out the abs light that's been on since I got the car. Bleh.

It's a Ford, right? I think it's similar to their power steering squeal, they all just come with the ABS light on

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Enourmo posted:

And actually getting my parking brake working, which was the one good thing about driving my grandma's car.

You drive an automatic, in Florida. Why do you need a working parking brake? :v:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Actually, the adult sized BMX bikes that SE Racing has been coming out with lately are loving sweet, and make for a great cruiser.

A buddy of mine has a 26" Quad Angle and it's a fun ride, they also come in 24, 27.5, 29 inch sizes. Don't think I'd own one tho as they get pretty pricey.

Oh my god I think I'm in love. A quadangle was my dream bike back in the 80's and I even got one when I was 19 or so. Kid needed weed money so I got it cheap. Like a moron I sold it for almost nothing when I was around 25. I've regretted it ever since.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Larrymer posted:

You drive an automatic, in Florida. Why do you need a working parking brake? :v:

Because A: parking pawl concerns no matter how much of a myth that whole thing is, and B: the slight roll when I park and release the brakes means imprecision in exactly where I park and that is UNACCEPTABLE.

A parking brake should be able to hold the car against at least 1/4 throttle in 1st, imho

E: I still set it every time even though it will just baaaarely hold the car in neutral. When I was driving gma's car, which has a handbrake instead of a pedal, I was doing the phantom clutch footboard stomp every time I parked :v:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 8, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Oh my god I think I'm in love. A quadangle was my dream bike back in the 80's and I even got one when I was 19 or so. Kid needed weed money so I got it cheap. Like a moron I sold it for almost nothing when I was around 25. I've regretted it ever since.

Wait for a few months, SE is coming out with the "Monster Quad" that's going to be 27.5" and all aluminum, if the price is reasonable I'm going to get one. Apparently the Cromoly Quads that have come out so far have been produced in limited numbers and that's why they are so expensive. People have been clamoring for them so SE is coming out with a much higher production alloy version, and it's gonna be tits. My buddy that owns the 26" Quad has ties to SE and they sent him pics and oh my god the welds, it's a thing of beauty....Keep an eye out on their website it should be available soon.

And I hear you about selling regrets, I sold a 24" Mongoose Supergoose in the late 90's that I regret to this day, I could get another one but they are going for near $2k now, best bike i ever owned :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So a thing I heard on the radio on the way home from work this morning.

Apparently, per leaks from Uber, that automated car's sensors saw the pedestrian it hit just fine. They were just set to assume anything that size was road debris and not a reason to stop. :stare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

Apparently, per leaks from Uber, that automated car's sensors saw the pedestrian it hit just fine. They were just set to assume anything that size was road debris and not a reason to stop. :stare:

Saw that story on FB last night. Sounds like the birth of Skynet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

"Hey this thing keeps stopping for nothing at all, can we turn down the sensitivity?"
"Sure, if you're gonna pay more attention while you operate it, our cars are dumb as poo poo and we have the worst-in-industry operator intervention rates by a factor of 100."
"Sure thing fam"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

If it's dumb enough to be in the road, it's dumb enough to hit.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Technically it was debris...after it hit it

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thoughts from the AI crew on a RHD JDM Nissan Hardbody with less than 1k original miles but it’s a column shift? Would it be worth more than 5-6k in states?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Liquid Communism posted:

But don't forget, fully automated cars are just around the corner!!!!

In other news, Holy poo poo, humans were not meant to live in the desert. :derp:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
how the gently caress are self driving cars supposed to work in northern michigan etc where all you can see of the road much of the year is two sets of ruts in which cars (drunkenly) creep along and which may or may not bear any relation to the (potential) summer road markings, the road itself, or anything at all approaching reality

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a such thing as grief shaming? Where other people try to force you to be sad for their loss that you were until moments ago unaware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

shovelbum posted:

how the gently caress are self driving cars supposed to work in northern michigan etc where all you can see of the road much of the year is two sets of ruts in which cars (drunkenly) creep along and which may or may not bear any relation to the (potential) summer road markings, the road itself, or anything at all approaching reality

By driving through the human-shaped snow drifts

• Locked thread