Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh also you don't need to worry about beating your own characters up to grind HP and weapon levels if you're playing the PSP version. Every version besides the original one has a sane leveling curve for weapons, and you even get an automatic HP level up every 10 or so battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Gologle posted:

When I was younger I thought Golbez was a loving genius because he was the only mage I'd seen at that point to wear heavy armor.

Never thought about this but you’re right.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

The White Dragon posted:

They learn fewer of these spells than what you'll get with magicite, but this basically follows how they learn magic naturally too. Celes's ultimate spells are like Life 2 and Holy, and Terra's ultimate spells are Ultima and idk probably Meteor or Quake

Yeah this run I really noticed how Celes starts with ice when she’s cold as poo poo and only cares about being a soldier. But Terra wants to find love and acceptance - her feelings burn like a warm flame - and starts out with fire.

Might seem obvious but I’ve never noticed until this run and find it to be a nice touch.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 7, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

seiferguy posted:

If you ever try to get the achievement for having all the Mist endings, you'll think differently about this.

I got it without too much effort in Zodiac Age thankfully. Mist would have worked better if it was like overdrive gauges.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey thanks for the FF2 tips guys. Maria is working out very nicely as an evasive tank.

FF2 is pretty weird so far but going in expecting something a little off, I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, FF2 is a perfectly decent experience if you play a modern copy of it and go into it with two things: the understanding that it's an old game from before the series found any kind of rhythm, and a quick list of pointers and tips about basic game mechanics that aren't really obvious.

For my part, my original run involved keeping everyone in heavy armor forever (because defense is a good thing and being naked is a bad one, right?) which led to a scenario where I gained no Agility/Evade the whole game. It was pretty easy until the final loving dungeon, at which point normal enemies started absolutely merking my dudes.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I forgot how cool the garif looked

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What should I know about FF on iOS, the first one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It should be piss easy unless you do the bonus dungeons. Once they changed the magic system to use MP in the GBA version, it kinda lost the point of the entire design of the original, which was all about managing ever-dwindling resources in deep dungeon dives.

Otherwise it’s still completely playable and I don’t think it has the terrible sprites of 5 and 6, so unless you want an “authentic” experience or really hate touchscreen controls I see no reason not to play the mobile version.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You cant switch jobs after you start the game. You can beat the game pretty easily with any combination but including a white mage or red mage makes it easier, obviously.

If youre planning to do post game stuff look up a guide because poo poo is rude and certain jobs are just trash post game. Hell blackmage turns into trash around the last dungeon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Give the Black Mage a loving katana, let him live his dream of casting the ultimate Black Magic spell, “Stab Guts”.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Made it past the Sandsea and unlocked the 2nd license boards for everyone in Zodiac Age - poo poo's about to go off. Only decision left to me is whether I want to break the game or keep my choices somewhat fluffy wrt the characters.

FFXII is as good as if not better than I remember but one glaring omission to me is the lack of a "GTFO" gambit to have your casters put some distance between themselves and enemies. Really wish we could take direct control of non-leader characters' positioning that isn't just going into the menu to change your leader.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nah I just meant more gameplay tips etc. because it didn't really bother explaining the jobs much or why my mages have no magic yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You have to buy magic from shops

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

EmmyOk posted:

Nah I just meant more gameplay tips etc. because it didn't really bother explaining the jobs much or why my mages have no magic yet.

Jobs aren't too hard to figure out:

Warrior: hits hard, wears the best armor and can tank very well. Turns into a knight where he can cast low level white magic. I wanna say in the NES version whoever was leading the party would take the most hits, so it was always prudent to put the knight first.
Monk: outgrows nunchuks and becomes a punchman. Becomes a Master which makes his punchman powers more powerful. Does the most damage in game to a single enemy.
Thief: A weaker fighter. Turns into a ninja later on which gives him access to some awesome weapons and armor, some black magic including one of the best spells in the game, fast.
Red mage: jack of all trades, white magic, black magic and decent weapons and armor. Doesn't excel at anything though. Red wizard gives him access to more spells and gear.
White mage: pure healer and buff provider, access to HARM / Dia spells which wreck undead monsters (of which there are a lot, also red mages can't use it). White Wizard gives more access to the best white spells (that a red wizard can't use). Non undead damage output is terrible though, until you get holy and the masamune.
Black mage: pure black magic. Best for using against a lot of enemies. Struggles a bit against bosses. Black wizard gives access to the best black magic (that red wizards can't use).

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 7, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh also you don't need to worry about beating your own characters up to grind HP and weapon levels if you're playing the PSP version. Every version besides the original one has a sane leveling curve for weapons, and you even get an automatic HP level up every 10 or so battles.

Agility's still the hellish "whatever your agility score is, that's your chance of the stat going up after combat" rate or something equally terrible and punishing. There's also a hidden flee level too so if you aren't fleeing from stuff early on (and why would you?) you'll find yourself with a nearly 0% chance to flee from anything in the late game, IIRC.

Beating yourself up for HP is still viable in the early game, especially if you want to expedite a couple MP boosts by hitting your party with level 1-2 offensive spells. Definitely don't need to grind 3k+ HP on your man trio though.

EmmyOk posted:

There's a spot to the north east of the 2nd town known as the Peninsula of Power. If you walk back and forth on it you can fight late game enemies due to how encounters were mapped out. It's a PITA to do and you don't really *need* to grind there (or anywhere) but when I checked it out the first fight was a couple frost wolves that dropped an Ice Shield, which was very nice for my warrior.

If you want to murder the game with impunity, run a warrior, monk, and some combination of thief, red mage, white mage. I went through the iOS version with warrior/monk/thief/red mage and shred everything. Especially once I got the giant glove since my thief could use that while my red mage would use FAST, ensuring my warrior or monk went from decent to blood-soaked murder god in a single turn.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I would kill for an "ally: no protect/shell/whatever" gambit. Also, "enemy: has item to steal".

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
"Just hit with the healing staff once jesus christ please stop" gambit

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nihilarian posted:

I would kill for an "ally: no protect/shell/whatever" gambit. Also, "enemy: has item to steal".

A good steal macro would be nice. As for the former, macros are "smart" in that they won't go off if there's no effect. An "Ally: Any --> Protect" macro will only cast it when protect wears off.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Nihilarian posted:

Ally: (whatever) -> (buff) only casts if that buff is not already active on the target. Stealing was pretty much the only thing I ever did manually.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Enemy hp 100% steal is goodish and then I'd manually steal if it missed usually

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Made it past the Sandsea and unlocked the 2nd license boards for everyone in Zodiac Age - poo poo's about to go off. Only decision left to me is whether I want to break the game or keep my choices somewhat fluffy wrt the characters.

FFXII is as good as if not better than I remember but one glaring omission to me is the lack of a "GTFO" gambit to have your casters put some distance between themselves and enemies. Really wish we could take direct control of non-leader characters' positioning that isn't just going into the menu to change your leader.

just a hint; you don't need to go into the menu to change leader, just up/down on the d-pad.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The only thing the game needs now is a manual weather change for Giza Plains, like Xenoblade’s time control.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Now that Ive beaten every fuckin single boss in Zodiac Age including the bullshit Trial Mode its time to start a new save with a different party.

Ive never tried Weak Mode but seems a bit too hardcore for me.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dross posted:

Ally: (whatever) -> (buff) only casts if that buff is not already active on the target. Stealing was pretty much the only thing I ever did manually.
i tried that and it seemed like it just kept getting cast. I guess the duration is just real low?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nihilarian posted:

i tried that and it seemed like it just kept getting cast. I guess the duration is just real low?

They only last a couple minutes, yeah.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

They only last a couple minutes, yeah.

Spellbound licenses will help :eng101:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

EmmyOk posted:

No need. I beat them Advance version without dying. iOS version shouldn’t be different.

Edit:

Checked out my old FF6 file from when I was a kid and bad at RPGs. Pretty hilarious relic combinations. Terra is level 47 with a magic stat of 47 (41 with nothing equipped). Yeesh. I focused entirely on physical attacks. She’s got a Schimitar and Crystal equipped with an Genji glove and gem box. This was the psx version and wow is this poo poo, haha. The load times. Wow. But that intro. Hnnng. FFVI realized in FMV! Locke is level 29. :wtc: Zero economizers.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 8, 2018

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I've just bought FF15 on Amazon (I went with the cheaper "Day One edition" for £16, pretty cheap for a PS4 game), I know there's some DLC available, is it worth getting?

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 8, 2018

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

biscuits and crazy posted:

I've just bought FF15 on Amazon (I went with the cheaper "Day One edition" for £16, pretty cheap for a PS4 game), I know there's some DLC available, is it worth getting?

all of the DLC is placed late in the game, so you can just play through most of the game and then decide if you want more or not.
To be more precise, you can access the DLC at any time in the main menu, but they take place later in the story.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Tag urself:

https://twitter.com/CraigSJ/status/993654946787622913?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Oh cool they're porting FF 4 again!

PSP still the best version though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Increase your battle speed. For whatever reason, status effect duration is based on real time, so having a faster battle speed makes them last longer relative to your actions.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
wow the uh, voice acting in XIII-2 is really pretty bad huh

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've heard a lot of complaints about 13-2 but the voice acting is not one of them.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's certainly no worse than the rest of the trilogy, which has its awkward moments but never really descends into outright bad territory. Plus 13-2 brings in Caius and Liam O'Brien absolutely owns that role.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That is a bitch-rear end blue mage.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I've heard a lot of complaints about 13-2 but the voice acting is not one of them.

So you think you can ride this chocobo?!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

bentacos posted:

So you think you can ride this chocobo?!

There is a reason i will never complain about 13-2's ost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

13-2 has a real good soundtrack. Something about those crispy synths just hit me the right way.

Plus it gave us the most awesome edgy buttrock song since Otherworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncwKFZflS0