Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rasamune posted:

So, back when they revealed that Rose Quartz shattered Pink Diamond, I was afraid of them pulling a gotcha like "the assassination wasn't real" or "Pearl did the assassination in Rose's place" because I was afraid that it would invalidate a big part of Steven's character arc by wiping his mother's hands clean of blood

So of course the Crewniverse does both at once, and in doing so, upends a tremendous bucket of blood all over Rose's hands and face and lying mouth,

Any time people say a particular leak or decision by the creators would RUIN STEVEN UNIVERSE FOREVER, just direct them to this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Is that guy for real or just pretending
E: the skinny shaming guy I mean

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Absolutely real. A troll wouldn't delete the post.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So since even Amethyst can turn into vanilla wedding dress Rose, can someone as big as Jasper turn into one of the bigger Diamonds?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Shitenshi posted:

So since even Amethyst can turn into vanilla wedding dress Rose, can someone as big as Jasper turn into one of the bigger Diamonds?

During the faster than light ride to The Zoo Steven accidentally makes the Crystal Gems diamond size, so more than likely yes.

Speaking of which I like that for a second you can see that Pearl-Rose has orange hair, setting up the lighting so that you couldn't tell the difference unless you were really close was a nice touch.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Jasper: I was here, you know...at the first battle for this garbage planet. I respected your ability to pass your own armies’ troop movements to your rebel generals who would then perfectly counter our moves as if it were nothing...my Diamond!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stevonnie had a Pink Diamond flashback dream, maybe he's got her memories.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So we have the who, what, when and how, we just need the why.

A lot of people are seeing PD/Rose as manipulative, running way from her problems, and basically just calling her a lovely person that got a lot of people killed and probably horribly manipulated Pearl.

LIke yea, it kinda looks like that right now. Her colony was failing and rather than work to fix it, she either started a revolt or joined one that already existed as Rose. There is probably more but I can't help agree with that from what we just learned.

I'm reminded of how Dune starts off being about how Paul Atredies is this great hero who will save the universe, but he turns out to be one of the worst tyrants in history, billions dead in his name and the Imperium now a cruel theocracy when it comes to Dune Messiah.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

Maybe, but the framing of the scene ("There's got to be another way," and Rose Quartz's eyeroll in response) suggests that a serious mistake is being made and that Rose Quartz is flippant in disregarding any other solution. The previous flashbacks imply that the Diamonds were willing to allow a give Pink Diamond a great deal of latitude and, while annoyed by her, were at least willing to entertain her various requests. In previous episodes, it did not seem as if Homeworld became an uncompromising, militaristic regime until Pink Diamond's "death."

I guess we will be able to judge her actions better after the next few episodes air and we better understand the context of her actions. For now, though, she comes off as a charismatic but profoundly selfish and immature person who doomed millions through thoughtless, irresponsible action.

I wouldn't call her selfish. I mean, she saved a planet full of intelligent life and sought to free gems from an oppressive class structure. I suppose you can frame it as her doing all this to live her own dream, but I think that's a cynical point of view.

I do agree with her being irresponsible. She thought the rest of the empire was ignoring Earth because it was "just Pink Diamond's planet" and that her "death" would simply end with the Empire writing the whole thing off as a loss, clearly not anticipating the other diamonds coming to avenge her.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 9, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

twistedmentat posted:

A lot of people are seeing PD/Rose as manipulative, running way from her problems, and basically just calling her a lovely person that got a lot of people killed and probably horribly manipulated Pearl.

LIke yea, it kinda looks like that right now.

Well I mean, no, it doesn't just "kinda look like that" to be honest. Like, I don't think many people think she did any of this stuff maliciously or even realized what she was doing, but she absolutely manipulated Pearl, for thousands of years, even past her death. What she did caused the death of a LOT of her fellow gems.

Granted I think most of that stuff is also understandable and just kind of the cost of war. But I think the Pearl situation is still very messed up. It makes sense that Pearl was so hosed up by both Rose dying and her falling in love with Greg. It's quite a bit more than an unrequited love situation

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Comparisons of Rose Quartz to the Scarlet Pimpernel turned out to be pretty accurate I guess.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

the two sides of the rose coin

https://twitter.com/primarina/status/993931775784169472

https://twitter.com/jaydweeeb/status/993901492770816000

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Bismuth Was Right, but should've expanded her targets sooner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I wouldn't call her selfish. I mean, she saved a planet full of intelligent life and sought to free gems from an oppressive class structure. I suppose you can frame it as her doing all this to live her own dream, but I think that's a cynical point of view.

I do agree with her being irresponsible. She thought the rest of the empire was ignoring Earth because it was "just Pink Diamond's planet" and that her "death" would simply end with the Empire writing the whole thing off as a loss, clearly not anticipating the other diamonds coming to avenge her.

Extra hosed up considering she basically assumed the Diamonds who loved her like a bratty little sister or daughter would just write her off after her death, and that assumption led to genocidal war.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Macaluso posted:

Well I mean, no, it doesn't just "kinda look like that" to be honest. Like, I don't think many people think she did any of this stuff maliciously or even realized what she was doing, but she absolutely manipulated Pearl, for thousands of years, even past her death. What she did caused the death of a LOT of her fellow gems.

Granted I think most of that stuff is also understandable and just kind of the cost of war. But I think the Pearl situation is still very messed up. It makes sense that Pearl was so hosed up by both Rose dying and her falling in love with Greg. It's quite a bit more than an unrequited love situation

True, it does make her look irresponsible at least.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Extra hosed up considering she basically assumed the Diamonds who loved her like a bratty little sister or daughter would just write her off after her death, and that assumption led to genocidal war.

If she felt her sisters didn't care that much for her, is that really her fault?

EDIT: Pink Diamond decided to kill herself and just like most suicide victims, she failed to take into account the repercussions of her act because she thought no one would care.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 9, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

twistedmentat posted:

LIke yea, it kinda looks like that right now. Her colony was failing and rather than work to fix it, she either started a revolt or joined one that already existed as Rose. There is probably more but I can't help agree with that from what we just learned.

I'm reminded of how Dune starts off being about how Paul Atredies is this great hero who will save the universe, but he turns out to be one of the worst tyrants in history, billions dead in his name and the Imperium now a cruel theocracy when it comes to Dune Messiah.

Well, not really, given Paul's very first vision of the future is of the Fremen spreading over the galaxy killing everyone in his name and he's caught between using this power for his own benefit and desperately trying to avert it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's an Always Sunny title riff in here somewhere.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The war was already going on, it just continued after the fact for a while and eventually they've won, but as Pearl said: we've won, they were leaving, but we dind't expect that...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

This is not what I got at all from that scene. The implication of it all seemed to me to be that the colony was failing because she was sabotaging it. She got it, but saw humans and her gems and decided she didn't want to commit genocide and tried to do everything she could to make the colony look completely nonviable, so that the other diamonds would accept abandoning it. Except they didn't.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It wasn't even about how the other Diamonds felt about PD. Revealing that the Diamonds were not inviolate, and that rebellion could succeed (even if it was completely fake) could not be tolerated. An empire has absolute power or no power, there isn't any middle ground. Feelings about PD probably didn't matter to anyone but Blue, and we've seen how she is manipulated because of that.

Even then, without ever seeing Pink and Blue interact, we don't know if Blue is feeling for the idea of Pink, or the person of Pink.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Pink was kind of runty and underpowered as a diamond, but she made a kickass rose quartz.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

How did Jasper not recognize Pearl?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n1Zxzn_DUs

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

thatbastardken posted:

Pink was kind of runty and underpowered as a diamond, but she made a kickass rose quartz.

Largely because as Rose Quartz she did this whole crazy thing where she figured out a bunch of powers that the other diamonds probably never even knew about. By being willing to change and be different, she developed.

I gotta say, even if I'm not really feeling too jazzed on the particulars of this big reveal, it sure is a great way to flesh out the rest of Rose Quartz's character real fast. We already knew she was a bit mercurial and had a tendency to do things without really considering consequences, but now we know that she had like a childhood, an abandoned phase of her life where she was a whiny baby before she matured and became the ever-loving, messianic christ figure she was to the Chrystal Gems.

They built up a little of how Pink Diamond was, and then bolted it straight onto what little we really knew about Rose. That's some real fast dimensionality right there.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oof, viewing numbers are way down for this latest batch of episodes (Can't go back/single pale rose didn't even break a million), but then they're down for every show except Teen Titans Go (and that's why THEY get a movie), so I'm not sure how much that even matters.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
To be frank, who watches this stuff on a tv anymore?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

:shittypop:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have a feeling that Pink Diamond's powers, like every other Gem on Earth were developed accidentally. Outside of the usual cache of Shapeshifting and weapon summoning. Like, maybe when meditating in her Palanquin as an attack was being carried out, she suddenly slipped into the mind of one of the humans at the site and felt it's death firsthand, and started to realise just how hosed up everything she was doing was.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NewMars posted:

To be frank, who watches this stuff on a tv anymore?

A good chunk of people just straight up pirate it, which can't help numbers

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lol @ being so mad at a children's cartoon that you spend 12 minutes vocally bitching about it on the internet.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
guys I just realized pearl got a different number from S' that had a gmail account given too, meaning it is recent. since this is definitely a post-Rose phenomena, do you think it has just been happening for the past ~15-20 ish years, or do you think her getting these notes came post S? Weird thing to focus on I know, but that little detail tells alot.

Also the old cell means she has had a phone before (also she is a hoarder secretly too? she just packs everything into drawers and arranges it so no one notices).

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

For some reason I am weirded out that Google exists in Steven Universe.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
lol @ being so into a childrens cartoon you make a 400 page thread about it

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Do you suppose silicon valley is also in Kansas?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alopex posted:

lol @ being so into a childrens cartoon you make a 400 page thread about it

Okay.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://surrend-at-20.tumblr.com/post/173710742691/pearl-drew-it-for-her

https://theant1.tumblr.com/post/173720358263/so-how-bout-that-episode-of-steven-universe

https://alduingijinka.tumblr.com/post/173707798259/this-is-literally-pink-diamond

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

http://ghostydraws.tumblr.com/post/173727020602/revenge-of-the-steven-universe-proportions

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The "G" in "gmail" stands for "gem"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I hope that whether or not Greg already knew, he ultimately doesn't see Rose originally being PD as any bigger deal as far as his relationship with her was concerned than that he was originally Greg DeMayo.