Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im pretty sure sketchek's videos have been talked about when the update released, but in any case, search for one of sketchek's videos called "bequest".

anyway, this blindpyro guy who is extremely good at the beggar's bazooka released this video some days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njMUN51mLFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

ArfJason posted:

im pretty sure sketchek's videos have been talked about when the update released, but in any case, search for one of sketchek's videos called "bequest".

anyway, this blindpyro guy who is extremely good at the beggar's bazooka released this video some days ago

He isnt human

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

ArfJason posted:

Literally yelling at my loving screen at some of those clips

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ArfJason posted:

:psyboom: Good grief!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ridiculous jumps.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I practiced it a bit and i can do half of the red spawn to blu spawn rocket jump, pogoing riiiiight under that ceiling is incredibly difficult

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Blindpyro is a joy to watch when he streams TF2. Even more so before the Beggar's Bazooka got its splash radius nerf, but watching him fly around Badwater like it's nothing never gets old.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Warpy posted:

Come To https://tf2center.com

Highlanders/6s/ultiduo 24/7 in eurolands and americanlands

It never ends... never stops always highlander.

There are also other fine websites like tf2pl, tf2pugs, pugchamp, mixchamp, and tf2stadium but they more about 6s/7s??

wowow. Mumble. this isn't casual, friend.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's not that bad, but I sort of have to live with that post

memories of 6s sort of blinded me

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Started playing again this weekend and already run into a lagbot :sigh: we were rolling them on Process so it wasn't much fun anyway

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I was doing some report filling and had to look at a rap sheet to get a handle on something, and it took me to one of the old TF2 threads.

I ended up reading the whole thing from start to finish and it reminded me of how much I truly, truly love this game. This is the only game I have ever been decent at and it is a joy to play. So I reinstalled, redid all my configs, sorted out my hit sounds and have decided to play like I used to!

Last night spent five hours jumping around pub servers alternating as a medic and defensive pyro. I have not had that much fun in ages. I was absolutely missing this game. I stopped properly playing in 2014 and only occasionally booted it up for twenty or so minutes here and there over the years, but last night was just like old times and I was very silly to stop!

Should be breaking 3000 hours soon if this keeps up :D

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
last time i stopped playing tf2 i did for like 2 years and when i replayed i was like "yep, still pretty good"

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Are there any tried and true high fps config files out there these days? I installed one like a year ago and players that are a less than 10 feet away from me move smoothly but further out it looks like they are kind of stuttering. I've just kind of put up with it because I don't snipe and :effort: but I'd really to get that fixed.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I cant imagine Source rendering players far away in lower fps than ones in front, so i insanrly doubt its a graphical settings issue. Like theres stuff like physics and real time shadows being rendered at lower framerates but i dont think tf2 has that.

The most likely thing is network connection and even then ive never heard of any network engine doing that. Id say up your cmd_rate? Like check for the usually recommended rate commands that are usually posted everywhere as there are like 4 or 5, but I rrally doubt this could change what youre talking about.

The only scenario that could explain this is if the other players have lag...?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I know some engines have settings that will reduce the image and animation quality of distant objects. It reduces CPU and GPU load on the that are less important. So it could be the max FPS settings that are doing it. :v:

I've never heard of source doing that though.

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

ArfJason posted:

I cant imagine Source rendering players far away in lower fps than ones in front, so i insanrly doubt its a graphical settings issue. Like theres stuff like physics and real time shadows being rendered at lower framerates but i dont think tf2 has that.

The most likely thing is network connection and even then ive never heard of any network engine doing that. Id say up your cmd_rate? Like check for the usually recommended rate commands that are usually posted everywhere as there are like 4 or 5, but I rrally doubt this could change what youre talking about.

The only scenario that could explain this is if the other players have lag...?

It does sound like some funky network settings / bad server / bad internet connection, etc or maybe some weird LOD settings? See if it happens on LAN with bots maybe? Rule out network connection!

I've always used comanglia's network settings and edit graphic bits but you could try playing around with configs:

http://www.teamfortress.tv/25328/comanglia-s-config-fps-guide
http://www.teamfortress.tv/42867/mastercomfig-fps-customization-config

Apparently mastercomfig is a bit more in-depth and has a pretty well written guide on how to install it but I have never tried it out.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGg-0iYMrjU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

- Fixed a server crash related to Flamethrower particles
- Fixed a client crash related to matchmaking parties
- Fixed a client crash related to the ConVar tf_flamethrower_boxsize
- Fixed a memory leak in the main menu
- Fixed some languages having missing characters in the ConTracker menu
- Fixed the voicemenu command being used to lag servers
- Fixed a rendering issue with Unusual effects for the Antarctic Eyewear
- Fixed some War Paint weapons not being valid trade-up items for the Civilian Stat Clock
- Fixed an animation bug related to the Thermal Thruster and changing class while holstering it
- Fixed matchmaking players being able to sit at the MOTD so they can't be kicked by players in the match. They will now show in the scoreboard on their assigned team and will be valid vote-kick targets by members of their team.
- Updated the Autobalance system to skip asking/waiting for volunteers. Instead, it will go straight to switching candidates to balance the teams.
- Updated model/materials for the Valhalla Helm to fix some clipping issues
- Updated the localization files
- Updated pl_enclosure_final:
. Fixed players being able to get stuck in closing dropdown door in stage 3
. Fixed missing team filter for small resupply room in stage 3
. Removed unnecessary env_wind entity messing with env_dustmote entities

---

Nice and speedy! Hopefully this will lead to a bit of a resurgence of work on the game :D

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

- Updated the Autobalance system to skip asking/waiting for volunteers. Instead, it will go straight to switching candidates to balance the teams.

meh, I can't really see this being an improvement. I doubt it's going to do enough to make a completely lopsided match fun for anyone and less lopsided matches usually get corrected much more smoothly by the current system.

Like, it's not at all uncommon for the volunteer popup to appear in the middle of a decently competitive match and then have the other team fill up from new players joining while it's waiting. That's a much more ideal resolution to that scenario than force switching someone in the middle of a heated match and then slotting newcomers in behind them on the team they just left.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 17, 2018

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
I'm sure there's at least a thousand posts in the old thread of people complaining about being autobalanced away from their friends

What's old is new again

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

VideoGames posted:

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

---

Nice and speedy! Hopefully this will lead to a bit of a resurgence of work on the game :D

in particular it looks like they might have fixed the bugs that were letting those weird rear end bots lag/crash servers, which is cool and good

e: also it looks like they gave up on asking people to switch teams of their own volition which is :laffo:

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 17, 2018

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

8 Ball posted:

I'm sure there's at least a thousand posts in the old thread of people complaining about being autobalanced away from their friends

What's old is new again

I remember that like it was yesterday! :D

crabf
May 29, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

in particular it looks like they might have fixed the bugs that were letting those weird rear end bots lag/crash servers, which is cool and good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Back on April 1st STAR_ actually did a tf2 stream, and the "joke" was that he genuinely tried to play tf2 as it currently exists on stream

Nearly every server he played on was decimated by lag and the few that weren't were full of people being weird attention whores to him (including a server admin?). Over the course of like 2 hours he managed to get in like 2 rounds worth of game play before he finally just called it quits

It was really sad to see the current state of tf2

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the lag thing sucks but it's super common for any game or stream celeb to get trolled or have a bunch of people try to stream snipe them, ESPECIALLY in games where you can just join whatever server you want. Dane mentioned in one of his videos that competitive mode would be one of the best possible things that could exist for streamers because random people can't just join your game to get on stream, and most people don't want to waste their ELO on trolling.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it was more stuff like "the weird server admin has made it so that star_ isn't allowed to deal damage to anyone anymore"

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

it was more stuff like "the weird server admin has made it so that star_ isn't allowed to deal damage to anyone anymore"

Why not just play with a different user name? He probably wants all the attention.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

JB50 posted:

Why not just play with a different user name? He probably wants all the attention.

A lot of his videos were done on alternate accounts with random usernames so people couldn't keep friending him and following him around.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ninjewtsu posted:

Back on April 1st STAR_ actually did a tf2 stream, and the "joke" was that he genuinely tried to play tf2 as it currently exists on stream

Nearly every server he played on was decimated by lag and the few that weren't were full of people being weird attention whores to him (including a server admin?). Over the course of like 2 hours he managed to get in like 2 rounds worth of game play before he finally just called it quits

It was really sad to see the current state of tf2

maybe star should gently caress off

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Yeah, I wouldn’t say his stream is indicative of the current state of TF2. I get a bad match maybe 1 in 10. It’s usually a blatant aimbot, I’ve only seen a lag bot once.

People watching Star’s stream are going to snipe him. I don’t know if comp would really save them. Pro OW players get sniped all the time, and they are in GM Elo, which isn’t particularly easy to get into. Even PUBG and Fortnite streamers get sniped regularly, and that’s with huge maps and very fast, random turn around on new games.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.

VideoGames posted:

I was doing some report filling and had to look at a rap sheet to get a handle on something, and it took me to one of the old TF2 threads.

I ended up reading the whole thing from start to finish and it reminded me of how much I truly, truly love this game. This is the only game I have ever been decent at and it is a joy to play. So I reinstalled, redid all my configs, sorted out my hit sounds and have decided to play like I used to!

Last night spent five hours jumping around pub servers alternating as a medic and defensive pyro. I have not had that much fun in ages. I was absolutely missing this game. I stopped properly playing in 2014 and only occasionally booted it up for twenty or so minutes here and there over the years, but last night was just like old times and I was very silly to stop!

Should be breaking 3000 hours soon if this keeps up :D

I did the exact same thing about a week ago. Me and all my friends stopped playing the game about five years ago and have memed on it ever since, playing maybe the occasional 30 mins every eight months or so. But we all agreed it's the most fun we've ever had in a game, even before or after quitting. Then one of us just randomly launched and we all thought, "eh, what the hell?" and we've ended up playing a couple hours a night every day the last week and have been having the most fun we've had in games for ages.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How do you stream snipe people in quick play? That seems inordinately difficult.

That thing about a "so wacky you guys" admin sounds like he was playing on community servers, which is definitely not how "tf2 as it currently exists" is really played.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Streamers deserve everything that happens to them in competitive games, if not more.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ChickenHeart posted:

Streamers deserve everything that happens to them in competitive games, if not more.

that's a hell of a take right there

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
What happened to Star was a targeted ddos, as there was a guy going around doing it to basically every (fairly) prominent TF2 streamer. I’m friends with/know a lot of them, and to circumvent it they’ve basically had to remove any and all names from their hud and anything that could even tangentially give away the server ip. One friend had his own server that was ddos protected, and they got around it by just sending lagbots to join it. Someone has far, far too much time on their hands.

I mean it’s Star so if that guy hadn’t done it, someone else would have, but still. :shrug: This particular dude is so dedicated he’s done it to big competitive streams too, like the Copenhagen games. It’s been a real problem.

Butt Detective fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 20, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

How do you stream snipe people in quick play? That seems inordinately difficult.

That thing about a "so wacky you guys" admin sounds like he was playing on community servers, which is definitely not how "tf2 as it currently exists" is really played.

he went to community servers because quickplay was a lagged out mess, because of this:

Butt Detective posted:

What happened to Star was a targeted ddos, as there was a guy going around doing it to basically every (fairly) prominent TF2 streamer. I’m friends with/know a lot of them, and to circumvent it they’ve basically had to remove any and all names from their hud and anything that could even tangentially give away the server ip. One friend had his own server that was ddos protected, and they got around it by just sending lagbots to join it. Someone has far, far too much time on their hands.

I mean it’s Star so if that guy hadn’t done it, someone else would have, but still. :shrug: This particular dude is so dedicated he’s done it to big competitive streams too, like the Copenhagen games. It’s been a real problem.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I tried playing a little bit tonight and the game just isn't fun anymore. Oh well.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

We Know Catheters posted:

I tried playing a little bit tonight and the game just isn't fun anymore. Oh well.

This is why I haven't reinstalled the game yet. :sigh: I'm scared it won't be as good as I remember.

I really miss Hightower though.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

We Know Catheters posted:

What did you not enjoy?
I had the opposite effect and would love to know where it fell apart for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I too have had the opposite experience. I came back after playing OW for a while since I enjoy shooting people in my shooter game, instead of tanking or healing only. I’m rusty as hell, but it’s still a good time. I haven’t gotten a lag bot and only a few aimbots.