Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that said I think this might've been the worst episode of the series by elimination, unless it ends up having some secret additional significance

edit: I'm already kind of rethinking this after reading the avclub summary: https://tv.avclub.com/a-heartbreaking-legion-presents-a-david-who-wishes-he-w-1825870789

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

flatluigi posted:

I kind of wonder if it's trying to represent David searching for any way to not have it end up like it did in our actual timeline with Amy gone, but all those alternatives had David dead, taken over by the Shadow King, or fully insane (or multiple of those choices)

i kind of like how for all that the shadow king is the big bad, we can see what he wants and it's pretty modest: to be the richest man in the world and do whatever he wants. no need to tear down society to accomplish that.

night slime
May 14, 2014

flatluigi posted:

yeah, it was really good in that respect and the timeline where he gets shot in the spine because she was slightly late picking him up leading to her taking care of him into their eighties was ridiculously sad

I thought he died and she went to the graveyard. I thought the wheelchair one was just some other catatonic one.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

night slime posted:

I thought he died and she went to the graveyard. I thought the wheelchair one was just some other catatonic one.

the graveyard one seemed to have been one where he died as a child; the wheelchair one had the chair reveal directly after the scene where he was shot in the spine and were fairly clearly connected

night slime
May 14, 2014

flatluigi posted:

the graveyard one seemed to have been one where he died as a child; the wheelchair one had the chair reveal directly after the scene where he was shot in the spine and were fairly clearly connected

Yeah you're right. I didn't really get the episode until I read the article above where it says he's just thinking different possibilities then I realized what the point of the baby scene was.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm exhausted today and i woke up from a nap to watch the episode live so I'm not surprised I completely whiffed on it being an elegy for Amy but I am embarrassed a little bit :shobon:

the episode makes a hell of a lot more sense in that context

night slime
May 14, 2014
I got distracted by him talking about the branches because in the first episode I remembered him waking up and talking about trees being his only memory. I wonder if it's still not relevant.

Pointless speculation stuff I noticed in the board room scene: the place was named the "Davidoff Capital" and there was a subtle D3 sign on the door. https://imgur.com/a/2VCILfT Also somewhere the camera lingers on a bank sign that says "tonal ban" across from the building.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

night slime posted:

Yeah you're right. I didn't really get the episode until I read the article above where it says he's just thinking different possibilities then I realized what the point of the baby scene was.

Trying to piece together what realities were on the same timeline was a pain in the rear end

Edit: The AV Club review is helpful. I had already forgotten the singing mouse, and I didn’t put together that the Shadow King had taken over billionaire David.
https://tv.avclub.com/a-heartbreaki...3530.1451133830

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 9, 2018

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Don't forget, Molly Hagan played the female Jem'Hadar with psychic abilities in DS9.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This was instantaneously my favorite episode of the season so far, I wish the plot-related episodes were this nice but they've all been so slow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

flatluigi posted:

I kind of wonder if it's trying to represent David searching for any way to not have it end up like it did in our actual timeline with Amy gone, but all those alternatives had David dead, taken over by the Shadow King, or fully insane (or multiple of those choices)

Yeah, I assumed based on what the Shadow King had told him and that scene with junkie David explaining multiverse theory with lovely takeout fries that this was David desperately trying to find a "branch" where his sister didn't die, but every one he found involved some other kind of horror or nastiness. The one where he is most successful, he's a huge rear end in a top hat, Amy is miserable and he is abusive towards her. The one where she lives to a ripe old age alongside him, she's basically trapped with him and might as well have no life of her own.

Given the almost casual "You kill the Shadow King a week from now" reveal from earlier in the season, I'm picking Amy's death/transmogrification was the one that triggered David to just unleash everything and destroy Shadow King, which we have (and now David too) been told will only unleash some greater horror to follow.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I liked the episode.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I assumed based on what the Shadow King had told him and that scene with junkie David explaining multiverse theory with lovely takeout fries that this was David desperately trying to find a "branch" where his sister didn't die, but every one he found involved some other kind of horror or nastiness.

Does he have time reversal powers? I can't recall in the show's canon.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The music in this show is so good

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Where was Amy in the happily married with kids version?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

That was a confusing episode

He seemed to find a perfectly happy timeline as well where everything was alright? He even had a family

What the hell was the singing mouse timeline about

Then a random clockwork orange scene remake??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWLByMshYIU

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

R-Type posted:

Don't forget, Molly Hagan played the female Jem'Hadar with psychic abilities in DS9.

Also she was one of the multiple personalities that lived inside Herman's Head

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really liked this episode, but i am both impressed and a little fearful that the show seemingly doesn't care about the pace of their storytelling. I would hate for this show not to get a third season and half the storylines just being left dangling.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
yeah this was a good episode and I would almost say its the least weird of all of them. Like the world portrayed in all the other davids' worlds is mostly normal besides david himself. I thought that was somewhat interesting.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Clockwork Orange homage was good

were there recreations of scenes from other films? I was only familiar with that one

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there was only a quick flash of a video to confirm it, but trillionaire David was fully taken over by Fahrouk.

I don't know where the happy family David fit in with the other timelines, but I imagine its inclusion was to show that what David's mind was desperately searching for was not purely happiness for himself

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

flatluigi posted:

there was only a quick flash of a video to confirm it, but trillionaire David was fully taken over by Fahrouk.

I don't know where the happy family David fit in with the other timelines, but I imagine its inclusion was to show that what David's mind was desperately searching for was not purely happiness for himself

Was that the same one as the one he saw Syd in?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oasx posted:

I really liked this episode, but i am both impressed and a little fearful that the show seemingly doesn't care about the pace of their storytelling. I would hate for this show not to get a third season and half the storylines just being left dangling.

I think this episode was pointless fluff and the growing mid-season pacing issues are reminding me of the things I very much did not like about season 1.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Was that the same one as the one he saw Syd in?

that was the start of the homeless timeline, I think, maybe?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
betcha the blue is actually red, dunno what this means yet

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I loved the episode. At first I thought it was the remnants of Amy in Lenny, emphasizing how much of her life was focused on David. A "multiverse exploration" concept is a bit less interesting to me but Dan Stevens did a superb job. Show remains excellent, hyped for more. What's weird is that as dark as it is, it's still a more enjoyable watch lately than Agents of Shield, which has an overwhelming aura of depressing inevitability to it despite the fact that you know they have to resolve that condition in a few episodes.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

Clockwork Orange homage was good

were there recreations of scenes from other films? I was only familiar with that one

The transitions around elderly David's scenes, particularly transition into the baby near the end, were 2001: A Space Odyssey. So just Kubrick homages? I didn't pick up anything from say FMJ or The Shining (maybe the scene in the car before David goes to Clockworks?).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think this was a bad episode per se but I think I would have enjoyed it much more if I hadn't waited a week between episodes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think this just became my favorite episode.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't really give a poo poo about the future Sydney poo poo and the plot of the show in general other than as a vehicle for cool cinematography, music and fun performances, so I thought this was maybe the best episode of Legion yet. The Kubrick references were loving incredible - more like this pls.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This show is the best thing on television. It's rare that a television show, ESPECIALLY one based on a comic book character, works as a cohesive piece of art. This does.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Crisis on Infinite Davids didn't do anything for me, but the fact it polarized the thread (more than usual TVIV slapfights) is a pretty good testament to how well it was done.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This was a strange episode but the main thing I kept noticing was that billionaire David is a dead ringer for a young Terrance Stamp. Now I want them to play the same character in a movie.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

flatluigi posted:

my take is that its to show he was looking for amy and verse where she was alive and happy. he didnt give a poo poo that he was theoretically happy in a universe where she didnt exist/was out of his life.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Best ep or at least one of them. Holy poo poo.

e: extremely cinematic, avant garde filmmaking

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I really liked that episode, but I'm fully on board with Legion as a show that is going to do whatever it wants and eventually get where it's going.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Jerkface posted:

my take is that its to show he was looking for amy and verse where she was alive and happy. he didnt give a poo poo that he was theoretically happy in a universe where she didnt exist/was out of his life.

this

Basically, David cared so much about her sister that he projected to other possibilities of himself where he was in the shitter (including even one where he is at least partially surrendered/corrupted to the shadow king) but at least she is alive and well, but unfortunately, it cannot work for this current instance of him.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I don’t even need it to go anywhere. I like it being an exploration of what it would mean to be able to control reality, and when that answer is “not just superhero battles” I’m even more interested.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I didn’t realize that there are more episodes this season so I guess that gave them room to experiment

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Also my SO made a really good observation that while Syd's episode was a continuous loop on her life, this one was "gonna try everything but": now when you add the context of suffering and trauma that was discussed earlier on, the contrast works ridiculously well, holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
Milkman David story made me cry.
The entire mouse song I assumed David was going to slam the stapler down on its tail so it ruined the entire scene by forcing this impending doom.
More TV like this please.