Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Well the fact that the guy using the horn was (a) an impatient jackass and (b) could see that the person ahead was hauling a trailer and still decided to be an rear end in a top hat is why I quoted you. Whether or not you realize it, you come off as defending a whiny rear end in a top hat who was being more dangerous than a guy who decided to slow down a few mph.

Boy I guess I really misinterpreted your post because I thought you were calling the OP the dangerous rear end in a top hat by intentionally escalating the situation trying to piss the guy off, then spread the derision evenly by reinforcing that tailgaters are also idiots. Obviously the guy who beeped immediately and tailgated is a dick, but so is the guy going 25mph under the speed limit when he doesn't need to just to piss off one guy and presumably every single person behind that guy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Well the fact that the guy using the horn was (a) an impatient jackass and (b) could see that the person ahead was hauling a trailer and still decided to be an rear end in a top hat is why I quoted you. Whether or not you realize it, you come off as defending a whiny rear end in a top hat who was being more dangerous than a guy who decided to slow down a few mph.

I'm not defending the impatient jerk, I'm pointing out that acting out to put that jerk in his place only makes the road worse for everyone, and it's always better to ignore that kind of impatient behavior. I mean seriously, someone honking their horn costs you what, exactly?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Wife and I went up to the mountains the other day. Beautiful day, no issues on the road whatsoever.

I'm putzing along on I-70 in the Rockies where it goes down to two lanes before the tunnel, and I'm in the left lane following along with traffic at 75-80MPH (keep in mind the speed limit in this area is like, 60-65MPH, so we're all speeding pretty heavily in the left lane).

This guy in a Lexus and a Utah plate comes flying up out of nowhere and starts riding my rear end. I'm maybe 2 car lengths away from the guy in front of me and keeping up, so I have no idea why he's introduced himself into my rear end. This guy's riding my rear end for 2-3 miles, swerving in and out of the two lanes and unable to pass.

Finally, there's some extra asphalt where an on-ramp merges with the highway, so this dude swerves right into the shoulder, floors it around everyone (while still in the shoulder) and is easily going 90-100MPH on a somewhat windy mountain pass.

I later saw a state trooper in the shoulder with his lights on a few miles down the road. I can only hope he was finishing some paperwork after pulling this rear end in a top hat over.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I saw a motorcyclist using the shoulder to pass a traffic jam, and considering that it's about a hundred loving degrees out here and there was no shade to be had, I can't say I blame him.

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

sleepy.eyes posted:

I saw a motorcyclist using the shoulder to pass a traffic jam, and considering that it's about a hundred loving degrees out here and there was no shade to be had, I can't say I blame him.

I confess I've done this in similar heat on a bike that was prone to overheating when stopped on a 70* day let alone hotter. Watching that thermostat gauge creep higher and higher toward "gonna gently caress your poo poo up" territory will make you do a lot of dumb stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/8T8deb7.mp4

Hopefully you don't share the road with that person any more.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mobby_6kl posted:

Too bad there wasn't a really big, solid tree there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

On the way home today and cruising west on I-10 the traffic suddenly slows way down... after a couple minutes I see a couple of DPS trooper vehicles off to the right, and way up on the berm is a pickup truck with a work-box type thing on the back. The truck is sitting on all four tires, but has obviously rolled at least once, and it is way up on the top of the berm along the right side of the exit lane that starts right there. About 100' or so away from the truck is a dude laying on the ground with the two DPS troopers performing CPR as the FD had not arrived yet (which in that part of Phoenix means this had just happened, as Phx FD has very good response times). Saw the lights of the first fire truck in my mirror just after passing the scene.

Sobering reminder to be careful out there, and wear your loving seat belt, as I seriously doubt the troopers drug that dude 100' from his truck before deciding it was a good place to perform CPR.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/px1FrAR.gifv

These are the driveshafts and welding masks you share a road with. When I caught up to them, there were 4(!) more driveshafts rolling around in the bed, along with a bunch of cordless dewalt tools. Driver didn't seem to care she was making GBS threads things all over the road. Stolen? Drugs? :iiam:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I had a close call with a bolt shaped missile. I was overtaking a semi on 75+ MPH I-25 North near the WY/CO border. I saw something fall from the cowling on the truck and hit the road. It caught my eye as a bolt. As it began it's end over end my eyes were able to discern for one frame that it was indeed a large bolt. I twitched the wheel and saved my new windshield as it would certainly have gotten hit on the left side, maybe up in the corner. My old GoPro1 I use as a dash cam didn't even pick it up in every frame. It's fisheye angle makes me look like I am not even close to the truck, or that the bolt was even close. Believe me it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AARiULT96v8

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

These are the people we share the road with in the UK.

quote:

My 4 year old sub 1 litre car hates hills , i actually had clutch burn out on a v steep hill when a 4x4 coming downhill was taking up almost all my side of the road and I veered into a ditch. The helpful AA guy said it’s fine to rev a small car like mad in a low gear to get it up the hill. He even said try going up really steep hills in first gear !

quote:

It's a lovely sunny day, nice and quiet in a small car park about to collect the DCs from school and the idiot in the black BMW next to me has been sitting with their engine running for the last ten minutes, really, thus spoiling my quiet time and polluting the air as well.
I wish I had the guts to say something....

quote:

Never in my 20+ years of driving have I had trouble getting onto a motorway...
Yet my friend told me today that she was not able to join a motorway today, that she matched with speed of traffic but there were 'no gaps.' She got stranded at the end of the slip road, DC in car, and ended up getting a vehicle recovery service to come out and get her car as she was too scared to move onto the motorway from a stop.
This was at about 11AM, there was no heavy traffic and my friend said that none of the other drivers were particularly close. Her exact words were 'they didn't move over.' It seems to have been an issue of her expecting them to move instead of her matching their speed.

quote:

Another of my friends brakes very heavily when she sees a slip road merging down to 30mph to 'let the cars join.' Which is obviously not a sensible idea with 70mph traffic behind you.

quote:

I got confused and in a storm ended up going the wrong way Queue range-rover and breathalyse

quote:

why not just sit in the middle lane at 70? That's what I do (well maybe 73). I had no idea that would be annoying.

quote:

OK, I'm going to show my ignorance here too.

Left lane = often around 50 - 60 MPH.

Outer lane = often 80mph plus.

Surely you then drive in the middle if you want to do the speed limit?

If the left lane was doing 70, I'd be in it. But if it's generally doing a lot slower than the speed limit, surely you are OK doing the speed limit in the middle?

And if the middle lane if for overtaking, what is the outer lane for?

I don't "get" motorway speed limits either.

I never hog the middle lane, but theoretically since the maximum speed limit is 70 it would make perfect sense to sit in the middle lane doing 70, as obviously no one would speed so no one would be driving any faster!

quote:

My DDs friend was fined for hogging the middle lane of a motorway at 3am. Obviously the Police had no real work to do and must have been bored! It is illegal to hog a lane but even so! Fine and 3 pts. Young driver so they were vindictive in my view. As there was hardly another car on the road, whatever difference did it make? Technically she should have been in the left lane and they could have reminded her of that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Pinnacle Peak road between Cave Creek and 40th?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I think it's cute that people in the UK whinge about drivers in the middle lane doing the speed limit (while other cars get to speed in the right lane). Come to australia where if the fauna doesn't kill you'd kill yourself because the right lane is full of cars going 10 under, the middle lane is where the trucks hang out. No-one want to kept left. I often have to use the left lane to overtake but you have to time it so no driver doing the right thing is there and you are 1km from a merge point so you have time to switch back.
I'd love a middle lane doing the limit, or a freeway or highway not full of cameras so you would even dare to go 3km/hr over the limit to overtake some slow gently caress.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I'm driving down to Kenosha from Milwaukee, and it goes down to two lanes by way of closing the leftmost lane for median work. I was in the middle lane when it down to two so I'm in the left now. There's a truck in front of me with a wide load (concrete of some sort), and he ends up, understandably, straddling the lanes. I stay in the left so I don't have to deal with traffic leaving and entering the roadway, and since I'm not going past the truck anytime soon I don't feel as bad. Anyway, a semi with a 53' box pulls up in the right lane beside me, right on wide load's bumper. Suddenly when there was a on-ramp only lane, he moves over, guns it, and barely gets by before a barrier fucks his day up.

And then he runs into traffic going just as fast as wide load. loving idiot.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Fo3 posted:

I'd love a middle lane doing the limit, or a freeway or highway not full of cameras so you would even dare to go 3km/hr over the limit to overtake some slow gently caress.

Yeah, same when Americans complain about cars "only" doing 70 mph when the road is a 60 mph signed one, as people blow by in the "fast lane" at 85.

I'm happy when the far-right (overtaking) lane is doing 105 in a 100 zone because it's rare enough, and that only happens on the freeways that aren't littered with fixed speed cameras.

brae
Feb 2, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Pinnacle Peak road between Cave Creek and 40th?

The video goes to an imgur page that links to this news article that says Alma School and Happy Valley.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Eh, I got the latitude right, just 8 miles west.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Where are you getting these from because dear God

E: I've met all these people on the roads.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

The use of acronyms like DC and DD indicates probably mumsnet. Which should immediately explain everything.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cakesmith handyman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TnGjq9mWSI

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
cant wait to be in the opposite direction lane from this person and the sun at my back

sorry for potato but center stack completely surrounded in rhinestones

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My favorite part is the LCD screen.

"okay we designed the dash for a 6 inch screen, it's gonna look sweet with our kick rear end perspective buttons"

"wait the 6 inch is too expensive? uh well we don't have time to redesign everything, let's just add in a bevel in there. how big is the screen gonna be? 3 inches? are you loving kidding me??"

That whole center console is a design failure, the rhinestones actually make it better.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
BMW had this going on with the early idrives like in the e90:

Although it was possible to upgrade to the "professional" version for :homebrew:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

The use of acronyms like DC and DD indicates probably mumsnet. Which should immediately explain everything.

Correct, their Am I Being Unreasonable? forum is often a hilarious view into some of the inane and bizarre things people get wound up about, as well as viewpoints from people who are neither clued up on cars or the internet. There was one thread I'm trying to find where a woman posted about her speeding up to stop someone from overtaking on a country A road and ended up causing a collision, and was wondering if her actions were unreasonable. Sadly it was deleted after most posters tore shreds off of her. There's also a curiously high number of users who are absolutely petrified of motorways.

Today was one of those days though, so far I've encountered:
  • An old lady in a Fiesta driving about 20 under the limit who's idea of changing lanes was to slooooooowly drift into that lane with no signal at all, and make no attempt to match the speed of prevailing traffic.
  • A woman at the petrol station who parked nearly two metres away from the pump at a 45 degree angle. Didn't obstruct anything at the time but seriously...why?
  • A mum in a Chelsea Tractor behind me in a car park who after I shifted over slightly so I could back into a parking spot, decided to try and gun it past me and nearly t-boned me. Then promptly sits there opened mouthed while I completed my manoeuvre. Seriously, what did you think was going to happen?
  • Some chav in a Golf GTI who repeatedly blocked my attempts to change lanes leading up to a roundabout, who then very deliberately cut me up when it turned out that my lane took me where I wanted to head to after all.
  • Now the motorway is totally shut in one direction because it looks like someone decided to play chicken with a lorry.

Its weird, I use the M25 and Dartford Crossing everyday to get to work and back, and I can have days and days pass where aside from the usual poo poo (lane hoggers, sliproad dawdlers, people who don't turn their lights on etc) I don't see anything noteworthy at all. Then I get a day where I seem to encounter all of them together.

I still blame a lot of the poo poo I see on the road safety culture in this country that focuses on speed to the exclusion of all other factors, especially when excess speed is a relatively minor contributing factor in collisions and the biggest by far is lack of observation. Thats why I think you get people who dawdle at about 20 under the limit, drifting across lanes and not really paying attention to their surroundings, who will pull out in front of faster traffic without a care in the world, because they aren't exceeding the speed limit therefore they're automatically safe, and who cares if they pull out right in front of car doing 80 when they're only doing 55? He/She shouldn't be speeding anyway!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I notice that too, long period of nothing noteworthy then one day suddenly everyone is trying to kill each other through stupidity.

Bad things happen in threes or whatever.

Or maybe I usually don't notice the ways people are trying to kill me, which isn't much consolation.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I saw a guy going 90 on the freeway in his Optima cut a guy off, backend come around, and then end up in the median doing Dukes of Hazzard jumps over hill and dale. It was kinda fun to watch and he popped his fruity fun bags when he ramped off a drainage berm.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Today I was behind a guy in a Honda CRV doing about 90km/h, which was totally fine, I just wanted to do 95. When it was safe and clear I crept up close and passed him. Easy peasy lemon squeezy with no trampled toes, right?

Well, that's where I apparently went wrong, cause me passing him must've made him glance at his speedo and realize that he in fact, wanted to do over 95km/h or something. So he sped up to catch me, except there was a long line of oncoming traffic and there was no way he could pass me to get back in front. Cue him spending 20 minutes tailgating me, flicking his lights, weaving behind me, etc. I finally have a enough of his antics and the moment I see he has an opening to pass I drift close to the shoulder and start slowing down a little in that friendly "hey, I know you want to pass me, here's your chance," way some people do.

He revved hard as he passed me, I'm thinking "whatever dude," and then found myself finding out just how well I can threshold brake because he ducked back into the lane and slammed his brakes as soon as he got ahead of me. To a dead loving stop. I totally forgot the horn while my anus clenched itself into a quantum singularity and I am still not sure how the gently caress I didn't slam into him. He hosed off immediately afterwards. I still don't get what I did that made this guy so angry he felt it necessary to see just how quickly I can stop a Nissan Versa.

I wonder how it would've ended if I wasn't used to driving without ABS.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He was just furious that someone refused to accept his position as citizen traffic cop who's duty is to make everyone drive what he considers the safe speed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So what you’re saying is he got you good.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when these people get home and tell their spouse about the loving rear end in a top hat they met today. What do they say? I've never met a driver like that in the UK, typically you'll just get called a wanker, with appropriate hand motion.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe he didn't like how close I got before I passed him?

I usually hang back until I think I might have an opening coming up then I'll close to 1-2 car lengths before changing lanes to overtake.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I thought I had bought a house in a decent area, but apparently the last hillbillies haven't quite been gentrified yet.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Almost collected the neighbor as I came around the corner to head to my driveway. All of the locals seem to treat the corner as though it’s a racetrack where the apex needs to be hit. My partners nearly been cleaned up twice by the same idiot who lives down the street and the neighbor was in the middle of the road and swerved massively as I appeared around the corner. It’d be easier if it wasn’t for the fact that the corner is completely blind in both directions

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

bolind posted:

I thought I had bought a house in a decent area, but apparently the last hillbillies haven't quite been gentrified yet.

Your neighbor seems cool, you should introduce yourself

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
wannabe traffic cops are the worst. I rarely do illegal passing, but when i do, its always some chucklefuck cutting in front of me to brake check me down to what they consider a safe speed.

:fuckoff:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.facebook.com/cityofcincinnati/videos/1793702120680428/

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Almost collected the neighbor as I came around the corner to head to my driveway. All of the locals seem to treat the corner as though it’s a racetrack where the apex needs to be hit. My partners nearly been cleaned up twice by the same idiot who lives down the street and the neighbor was in the middle of the road and swerved massively as I appeared around the corner. It’d be easier if it wasn’t for the fact that the corner is completely blind in both directions

This reminds me of a lot of neighborhoods where I live having lovely blind hills and turns, yet nobody has the sense to put up "no parking" signs anywhere near them. Sure, let's have a bunch of morons park their cars on streets that barely fit 2 cars, and do it around blind corners or on the crests of hills so nobody can see who's coming the opposite way or move over in time to avoid getting hit! Happens in my parents' neighborhood all the time, especially now with kids graduating, and no matter how much they've complained, nothing has been done. People routinely haul rear end through their neighborhood and several people have had their cars get hit by some jackass taking a corner too fast and losing control.

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

I really need a followup to this.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This reminds me of a lot of neighborhoods where I live having lovely blind hills and turns, yet nobody has the sense to put up "no parking" signs anywhere near them. Sure, let's have a bunch of morons park their cars on streets that barely fit 2 cars, and do it around blind corners or on the crests of hills so nobody can see who's coming the opposite way or move over in time to avoid getting hit! Happens in my parents' neighborhood all the time, especially now with kids graduating, and no matter how much they've complained, nothing has been done. People routinely haul rear end through their neighborhood and several people have had their cars get hit by some jackass taking a corner too fast and losing control.

I live on a wider part of a narrow road that should either be parking and one way only or no parking and two way traffic. Instead we have parking on both sides of the street (WHY) and "squeeze through the best you can and hope no little kids jump out in front of you"

It's going to be heartbreaking when one of those poor kids gets creamed, but it's going to happen one day

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BOOTY-ADE posted:

My neighborhood has a hill on one side and both of the roads leading down that hill have mild S curves on them. Nothing significant, but enough that visibility is questionable. The people who live right at the worst visibility areas for whatever reason love to park their cars in the street. Their driveways can be entirely clear, but they'll have a car in the street blocking a lot of the little visibility you have. I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

There's a little chicane near where I live that assholes insist on cutting through. You can easily go the speed limit or slightly above while remaining in your lane, but many are at least 50% on the wrong side.

I'm just waiting for some dumbass to make my day and buy me a rust-free miata.

You can kind of see the darker part of the road where most people go.