Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Paracelsus posted:

LoGH doesn't have anywhere near the weight of the original behind it. Iserlohn was amazing in the original, and you felt the weight of its importance. In the new one, it's just... there.

Yeah, they consistently show its sheer power and why it's so important in the original. Here they just say "Welp, time to do the Iserlohn bit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

but did they keep people getting gored by axes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i imagine the modern one at least animates it better, the invasion was pretty disappointing in the ova

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dogsicle posted:

i imagine the modern one at least animates it better, the invasion was pretty disappointing in the ova

Maybe it will, but the fortress itself, the insanely cool sphere of liquid metal that parts to allow ships in and out, with gun emplacements floating on the surface? There's about a second of tiny emplacements moving on a watery CG surface, and that's it. The camera is just looking straight down at the surface, and if you hadn't already seen the original you'd have no idea what what was going on, because they don't even say anything about the structure of the fortress.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah the technical details of Iserlohn Fortress was one of the coolest things about the original, it's so weird and out-there and unlike anything else you see in sci fi media.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

AnoHito posted:

What a curse to only remember the worst girl...

a homeless girl pining for character not in the show is the best take on highschool romance ever.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Davincie posted:

but did they keep people getting gored by axes

we'll find out next episode

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Maybe it will, but the fortress itself, the insanely cool sphere of liquid metal that parts to allow ships in and out, with gun emplacements floating on the surface? There's about a second of tiny emplacements moving on a watery CG surface, and that's it. The camera is just looking straight down at the surface, and if you hadn't already seen the original you'd have no idea what what was going on, because they don't even say anything about the structure of the fortress.

the OVA doesn't establish Iserlohn's structure either, that stuff is split between the Conquest movie and some more information in like episode 19. i'm not a fan of the aesthetic of the new fortress but the new series isn't like, leaving anything out that was in the OVA episodes it's adapting.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No Dusty, though. :cry:

I know, he ain't in the novels. Still

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he absent from the OVA for like fifteen episodes after the PKC stuff too, dude seems kinda inconsequential in what I've seen of the old version so far

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I keep seeing fanart for the horse anime, did it end up being good?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

he absent from the OVA for like fifteen episodes after the PKC stuff too, dude seems kinda inconsequential in what I've seen of the old version so far
Dang. ice cold

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

gmq posted:

Yes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gmq posted:

It's alright IMO. Basically just a solidly produced Cute Girls Doing Sports Things show once you get past the goofy premise.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

dogsicle posted:

how loving dare you

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gmq posted:

It's an adequate anime that looks good (though with P.A. Works, that's kind of a given nowadays) and apparently it's based on a... :stare: mobage about famous racing horses?

Well, it's an out there concept, I guess.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's alright IMO. Basically just a solidly produced Cute Girls Doing Sports Things show once you get past the goofy premise.

I can't get past the premise. :negative:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i'm interested in watching the show where the girls are horses but i just can't get over this one little detail in it, which is that the girls are horses

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

DisDisDis posted:

i'm interested in watching the show where the girls are horses but i just can't get over this one little detail in it, which is that the girls are horses

It's not that the girls are horses, it's that the horses are girls.

I hope this helps.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Where are the uma boys cygames

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did the Sword Boys get big in America?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Welcome eonwe :devil:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wark Say posted:

No Dusty, though. :cry:

I know, he ain't in the novels. Still

He was in the novels, just not in at the start.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

He was in the novels, just not in at the start.
Oh. Well, I'm glad. One more reason to re-visit the franchise, then! :dance:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wark Say posted:

It's an adequate anime that looks good (though with P.A. Works, that's kind of a given nowadays) and apparently it's based on a... :stare: mobage about famous racing horses?

Well, it's an out there concept, I guess.

A mobage that hasn't been released yet because the owner of one of the horses objected to his horse being a big ol' lesbian so Cygames is taking him to court.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

A mobage that hasn't been released yet because the owner of one of the horses objected to his horse being a big ol' lesbian so Cygames is taking him to court.

I hope Cygames wins

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Motherfucking link pls

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah, i remember seeing that in a tweet but it was pure rumor with no one posting corroboration from anywhere else on the net. the tweet has since been deleted

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This week's Last Period really leaned into the dangers of Gacha and the joke about a 10 pull was super savage.

Wiseman

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Cat party cafe is very good :3:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

How's the new Steins Gate thing? Weird, it was one of my "gateways to anime" but I haven't been too eager to watch it.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Agronox posted:

How's the new Steins Gate thing? Weird, it was one of my "gateways to anime" but I haven't been too eager to watch it.

aside from a few sloppy production elements here and there (real minor tho) imo it's been really good so far and i'm enjoying it immensely. its got a moodier and darker feel to it than the original but theres been one episode so far that captured the lighthearted bullshittin around feel of the first half of the original series

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Homura and Sickle posted:

aside from a few sloppy production elements here and there (real minor tho) imo it's been really good so far and i'm enjoying it immensely. its got a moodier and darker feel to it than the original but theres been one episode so far that captured the lighthearted bullshittin around feel of the first half of the original series

Excellent, thank you.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This week's Last Period really leaned into the dangers of Gacha and the joke about a 10 pull was super savage.

Wiseman

I'm not sure if they're trying to advertise the game, or scare people away from it, but the anime has been a lot of fun so far (if you don't mind references and fourth wall breaking)
Wiseman

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Has amanchu gone downhill this season with the staff change? It's one of the shows from its year that I kinda sorta intended to get back to, but I've heard pretty much zero talk about advance

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Motto posted:

Has amanchu gone downhill this season with the staff change? It's one of the shows from its year that I kinda sorta intended to get back to, but I've heard pretty much zero talk about advance

It doesn't seem worse to me. It's probably just not the sort of show that engenders much discussion because there's nothing to rage about.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto posted:

I kinda fell off because the manga took a rather lame turn I didn't care to see animated, and even aside from that, what I watched of the new season was just kind of...fine? Lacks the first season's emphasis on Teko grappling with her anxieties so it's just kinda...people hanging out in front of pretty art. "The first season again but less so" isn't really a great pitch.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Motto posted:

I don't know if it's due to the staff change, but the second season has seemed a bit 'meh'. I mean, "they go diving again" is getting a bit boring.

There's a fine line between "nice, quiet, and relaxing" and "boring". The non-diving episodes thus far this season I've found enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i didnt even know there was a second season airing lol

• Locked thread