Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Someone from LG is spying on my posts in this thread.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/04/27/report-lg-watch-timepiece/

I also wonder if this is happening with Google's blessing and showing a direction change in wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I also wonder if this is happening with Google's blessing and showing a direction change in wear.

I'm actually super super interested in this

Also :lol:

quote:

Snapdragon 2100

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

AA is for Quitters posted:

The Fitbit Versa, from all i've seen is pretty much just an apple watch styled pebble with some fitbit branding. Claims a 4 day battery life, but nothing "real world" yet to support that.

Nothing really in the Wear or Samsung or Apple market that can compare to that.

I was making GBS threads up the non-Android/Apple thread with this too, but I need to warn people. The Versa is a horrible smartwatch for Android. It's a beta product and doesn't live up to the hype at all. I just exchanged mine for a Garmin Vivoactive 3, which has a smartwatch feature set that is very similar to Pebble, plus all the fitness tracking stuff. It advertises week-long battery with GPS off. I don't know if I'll get a full week out of mine, but I'm sure it'll last a work week. I charge my watch when I shower, which is long enough to top it off, so it's a non-issue.

I should note that apparently the Garmin app is much better on Android than it is on Apple.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/04/exclusive-lg-watch-timepiece-hybrid-wear-os-smartwatch.html

So the face of the watch is a screen, and it has hands sticking out of it? This sounds like the worst of both worlds.

The point of caring about battery life isn't that you can't tell the time when the battery's dead. You've got a phone to check the time. It's that it doesn't do any of the other things that were compelling about a smartwatch when it's dead.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 29, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The point is if you don't have to have the watch display in ambient mode or even wake up when there aren't notifications, you can still get watch functions and have insanely long battery life, at least in theory.

How effective and seamless the implementation is what will make or break this. What I'm really curious about is if Google is collaborating on this or if LG is doing something completely on their own.

Really though, one of the most exciting things about this is that it apparently has a USB-C port. That's awesome if it doesn't need a proprietary cable or dock to charge.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 29, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

azurite posted:

Garmin Vivoactive 3

I definitely have my eye on this!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Over the next several days the Google Assistant on Wear OS devices will get the full set of Assistant features including Actions:

https://www.blog.google/products/wear-os/get-more-done-google-assistant-wear-os-google/

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Three Olives posted:

Fitbit Charge HR.

just buy it from somewhere that has a no-strings, no-deduticable accidental damage plan. Cause it will get destroyed. fitbits dont hold up well to physical use.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

AA is for Quitters posted:

just buy it from somewhere that has a no-strings, no-deduticable accidental damage plan. Cause it will get destroyed. fitbits dont hold up well to physical use.

Should they rename the new one Fitbit 'Ironic'?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Budgie posted:

Should they rename the new one Fitbit 'Ironic'?

Only if it's made of iron

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FItbit used to be really good about just sending you free replacements no questions asked if you emailed them and weren't a dick about it. But that seems to have fallen off now that they're a publicly traded company and have to actually make money.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

kitten smoothie posted:

FItbit used to be really good about just sending you free replacements no questions asked if you emailed them and weren't a dick about it. But that seems to have fallen off now that they're a publicly traded company and have to actually make money.

Yeah I called them when the strap broke on my old one and they sent me two 3-packs of replacements.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fitbit release the Pebble Time 2 please thank you.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Skeezy posted:

Fitbit release the Pebble Time 2 please thank you.

https://www.fitbit.com/versa

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It looks like such trash.

Get a Garmin Vivoactive like me, leave Android Wear behind and never look back. It's a good move.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It looks like such trash.

Get a Garmin Vivoactive like me, leave Android Wear behind and never look back. It's a good move.

It looks pretty drat close to a pebble time steel lol

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That's the main thing I like about the Versa but how's the Garmin on day to day?

The fitness stuff isn't my main thing, I mostly just want notifications with some reply actions. I had the AW but really didn't like the overload of notifications with it, the Pebble Time I have still works (but it's all scratched up) and that has less "notification bloat" I guess.

I suppose I'm looking for something in between??

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 6, 2018

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Skeezy posted:

That's the main thing I like about the Versa but how's the Garmin on day to day?

The fitness stuff isn't my main thing, I mostly just want notifications with some reply actions. I had the AW but really didn't like the overload of notifications with it, the Pebble Time I have still works (but it's all scratched up) and that has less "notification bloat" I guess.

I gave up and stuck with my Pebble Time. Put skin on it, as well as a screen protector that does an excellent job hiding the scratches.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kazy posted:

I gave up and stuck with my Pebble Time. Put skin on it, as well as a screen protector that does an excellent job hiding the scratches.

I might just end up doing that or at least grabbing a cheap PTS.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Fitness stuff is the focus of Garmin for sure, but as far as being a smartwatch it's equivalent or better than my old Pebble Time.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I just want more round smartwatches, is that so hard to have? I'm going to use my pebble time round + cheapo S2 until they're gone.

Google please make a circular pixel watch tia

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/AndroidPolice/status/993268920403480578?s=20

Most of the Fossil Q watches are on sale. The Explorist being about $150 seems like a decent deal but I don't know.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I have the Explorist. I paid a lot more for it than that and still think it was worth it. The charger is a little fiddly so I had one of my friends 3d print me a base for it. I have a small problem with it where leaving it on the charger over a day will make it drain faster than normal unless I reboot it first. I get lots of comments on it, mostly from other watch-wearing dorks.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Are these secretly refurbs or something? They all say the warranty is provided by Asurion, not the manufacturer.

Or is it just that Fossil themselves do not honor warranties on watches they didn't sell?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Do those have a flat tire?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Do those have a flat tire?

Nope

Edit: Gen 2 has the flat tire but they go all screen with the gen 3. You also lose out on NFC and a heart rate monitor.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 7, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Over two years into Snapdragon Wear 2100, Qualcomm promises a new smartwatch chip, says watches powered by it will be out by the end of the year

https://www.wareable.com/android-wear/qualcomm-next-gen-snapdragon-smartwatch-wear-os-2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

Over two years into Snapdragon Wear 2100, Qualcomm promises a new smartwatch chip, says watches powered by it will be out by the end of the year

https://www.wareable.com/android-wear/qualcomm-next-gen-snapdragon-smartwatch-wear-os-2018

Well at least my Moto 360/2 is still working. I almost bought a Misfit Vapor but I just couldn't stomach buying an an all new watch three years later with exactly the same specs. I don't even want a smaller watch (though I see why others might) but I definitely want a better watch, and if that means the same size with a way more efficient chip and huge battery well that sounds dandy to me.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Maybe that can be my impetus to get a new watch. Still plugging away with the original G Watch, running the last Wear 1 release, like 5 years later. Battery life is still fantastic, and the experience is good, but a little buggy as it's gotten more out of sync with mainline Android. Would be nice to have something more modern and that isn't a black, rectangular slab on my wrist, though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

G-Prime posted:

Maybe that can be my impetus to get a new watch. Still plugging away with the original G Watch, running the last Wear 1 release, like 5 years later. Battery life is still fantastic, and the experience is good, but a little buggy as it's gotten more out of sync with mainline Android. Would be nice to have something more modern and that isn't a black, rectangular slab on my wrist, though.

This is exactly me only on the Sony Smartwatch 3

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/994585799235600384?s=19

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A Pixel watch with a new SoC and battery life that's easily a full day aka nothing like my Zenwatch 3...I'd go back to Android Wear for that.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I thought this was expected last year as well.

e: yeah - http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/google-pixel-watch-android-wear-news-rumours-release-date-price-specs-leaks-2947671

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

A Pixel watch with a new SoC and battery life that's easily a full day aka nothing like my Zenwatch 3...I'd go back to Android Wear for that.

Yeah, same. I've been slumming it with a Charge HR.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

The fossil watches last a full day and even have a 2 year warranty. And look like watches.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah my misfit gets me from 7:30 am to 11 pm and still has like 20% battery life left. I have the ok google feature disabled but the screen is always on.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I love how every time someone complains about the battery life they're getting other people chime in about how they don't have such problems.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thermopyle posted:

I love how every time someone complains about the battery life they're getting other people chime in about how they don't have such problems.

Have had my LGStyle for over a year now and I still get better battery life than any review said I would get so of course I'm going to post about how I get a day and half before it dies :colbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, the Zenwatch 3 claimed the same battery life that Fossil one does, and I stopped using it because of how annoyingly bad and misleading that claim was, kept dying well before the end of the day. IMO there's no point in getting a current AW smartwatch and everyone should wait for whatever this new SoC is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The big thing I don't like about my black misfit watch is the finish is not durable at all. Like, not even a little bit. I got silver showing all over the place.

I bumped it on a wooden door frame and even some of the rubber on the touch ring came off.

It was cheap on sale so I'm not too broken up about it, but I think they used watercolors to paint it.