Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

One I accidentally at one of my own teeth thinking it was a chicken nugget so I have a pretty powerful mystic energy now. Took ages to grind it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thinkin bout thos tooth nugs

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

EmmyOk posted:

One I accidentally at one of my own teeth thinking it was a chicken nugget so I have a pretty powerful mystic energy now. Took ages to grind it up

Same but while eating an Oreo.

I never saw the tooth leave...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I ground mine into dust. I went to bite a crunchy protruberance on a chicken nugget but I guess my tooth snapped immediatelly and what I thought was the crispy bit was my tooth and I had to grind it into dust. Didn't notice until I took a swig of coke and my mouth felt weird.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Late to charity chat, but, depending on your definition, charity as a concept is good, but charities are a shitshow. First, there is an inverse relationship between income and percentage spent on charity, so it operates as a regressive tax, like the lottery. The majority of charities are barely concealed scams and any that are good are stuck in an advertising war with every other, wasting donations. The widely varying donations also cause greater inefficiency, as often people with necessary training cannot he kept around reliably. However, charity and generosity is good. Help people whenever you can, in whatever way you think you can, even while keeping an eye on the need for massive change, and work toward that too.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

EmmyOk posted:

I ground mine into dust. I went to bite a crunchy protruberance on a chicken nugget but I guess my tooth snapped immediatelly and what I thought was the crispy bit was my tooth and I had to grind it into dust. Didn't notice until I took a swig of coke and my mouth felt weird.

holy poo poo this is nightmare fuel for me

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Soviet Commubot posted:

It's not word salad though.

Gonna be straight with you: I've never heard of Umberto Eco before now and had to Google the legible text in that gif to find out where it comes from.

Now I'm confused about what the emote means because I thought it was supposed to be mocking people who speak pseudo-intellectual gibberish :shrug:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mak0rz posted:

Gonna be straight with you: I've never heard of Umberto Eco before now and had to Google the legible text in that gif to find out where it comes from.

Now I'm confused about what the emote means because I thought it was supposed to be mocking people who speak pseudo-intellectual gibberish :shrug:

Did you read the essay? It's pretty short and self-explanatory.

ETA: Eco was old enough to remember the Mussolini years, so he's not pulling this stuff completely out of his rear end.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, no, it's about mocking the people who do exactly what Eco describes in that essay. Sees a lot of use in USPol threads these days.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mak0rz posted:

It's almost an inside joke. The phrase gets a lot of use in D&D and the reason it quickly becomes illegible is because the people using it see "Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus" already know what the rest of it is saying and so don't actually need to see it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mak0rz posted:

It's an extremely common sentiment whenever someone is describing a terrible Other.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EmmyOk posted:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I feel like I haven’t seen LoB here in a while. Am I wrong?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

BigglesSWE posted:

I feel like I haven’t seen LoB here in a while. Am I wrong?

didn't you hear? Tiresias cut out the middleman and goons are furious

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doc Hawkins posted:

Did you read the essay? It's pretty short and self-explanatory.

ETA: Eco was old enough to remember the Mussolini years, so he's not pulling this stuff completely out of his rear end.

I'm asking whatn context the emote is for, not what the essay is about.

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, no, it's about mocking the people who do exactly what Eco describes in that essay. Sees a lot of use in USPol threads these days.

Ah that makes more sense, thanks.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, the shorthand was desperately needed. Especially in the political cartoons thread.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Piers Morgan explains Catholicism to the pope https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/994117192454213632?s=19

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
How can the pope besmirch the good name of Catholicism by allowing it to be represented by ostentatious displays?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Why doesn't the Pope condemn these people like Muslim leaders do? Gosh, I wish the Pope was more like a Muslim. Then we'd get things done.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I can hear that hideous noise of the dude chewing the teeth. :gonk:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tiresias2 posted:

I know I'm just continuing a derail at this point and so I'll put up with any moderator backlash I might get. Hegel once said that the response of any honorable person to being accused of stealing is a box in the ear, but since that can't be done I'll settle for: firstly, my female friendships were quite close and not always entirely platonic; secondly, I did not try to make a reduction of reasons people would want to play a female character in a video game to anything in particular, not even bad faith, essentially what I was saying pointed out that any expression of these desires in public makes possible accusations of bad faith by making it possible to conceive of the desire being in bad faith, in particular a form of it that today is called by some "virtue-signalling"; thirdly, I never said that altruism is impossible, just questionable. Perhaps it is always self-interested in a way, that doesn't make it not-altruism. However, Schiller and Schopenhauer had ideas about absolutely disinterested and selfless acts, and provided reasons for believing in them.

Edit: Oh God, I'm so sorry. Please ignore me.

:allears:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/994275834725851136

:stare:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Tiresias2 posted:

I know I'm just continuing a derail at this point and so I'll put up with any moderator backlash I might get. Hegel once said that the response of any honorable person to being accused of stealing is a box in the ear, but since that can't be done I'll settle for: firstly, my female friendships were quite close and not always entirely platonic; secondly, I did not try to make a reduction of reasons people would want to play a female character in a video game to anything in particular, not even bad faith, essentially what I was saying pointed out that any expression of these desires in public makes possible accusations of bad faith by making it possible to conceive of the desire being in bad faith, in particular a form of it that today is called by some "virtue-signalling"; thirdly, I never said that altruism is impossible, just questionable. Perhaps it is always self-interested in a way, that doesn't make it not-altruism. However, Schiller and Schopenhauer had ideas about absolutely disinterested and selfless acts, and provided reasons for believing in them.

Edit: Oh God, I'm so sorry. Please ignore me.

I've been trying to read this five loving times, but I get to Hegel and then my eyes shut off as if some subconscious defense mechanism kicks in.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Mak0rz posted:

I'm asking whatn context the emote is for, not what the essay is about.

Ah that makes more sense, thanks.

In his essay about fascism, Eco describes the fact that the enemy of the regime needs to be presented as very powerful so as to instill fear in the people, but at the same time completely pathetic, so that the people can feel superior to it.

Picture conspiracy theorists who say that the government is all powerful and malevolent, but at the same time all conspiracies have huuuuge obvious flaws in them. The government is at the same time omnipotent and impotent, therefore :eco:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/DudeSlater/status/994310379198189569?s=19

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Good god, this is a thing someone not only thought, but also believed other people needed to hear.

The world is a magical place. :allears:

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

This guys has an alarming amount of opinions on the size of womens' vaginas.

Here's a fake study he posted in another thread.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

belt posted:

How would you even measure the circumference of a vagina considering it will stretch and flex depending on what's going on inside it? :psyduck:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:biotruths:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I guess once the probe reaches a set psi

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Panfilo posted:

How would you even measure the circumference of a vagina considering it will stretch and flex depending on what's going on inside it? :psyduck:

Gonna need a speculum and a protractor.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Teledildonics, people.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

"tallchad" is not entirely off the mark. It's called a husband's stitch, and it has been used in the past, and probably still gets performed. There don't appear to be any studies on the prevalence of the procedure, and I imagine that there probably won't be too many doctors willing to admit that they performed an unnecessary procedure without consent.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

belt posted:

I like how a woman has to have 20 opposite-sex partners before we start seeing a significant difference in vaginal circumference. According to the most recent data, the median number of opposite-sex partners for sexually-experienced American women aged 25-44 is 4.2, while only 10.1 percent of sexually-experienced women aged 15-44 have had 15 or more opposite-sex partners: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nsfg/key_statistics/n.htm

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016

Rick_Hunter posted:

Teledildonics

Mods, name change pls.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Rick_Hunter posted:

Teledildonics, people.

This is funny irrespective of what it's being said in response to.

So I'd imagine that these boys believe that a woman who has had sex exactly once with each of 30 partners would have a bigger "circumference" than a woman who's had sex thousands of times with one man.

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016

belt posted:

For anyone curious, everything in the source is fake (author, date, title). The link is to a study about vaginal dimensions with no mention of sexual partners having an effect.

https://academic.oup.com/humrep/article/21/6/1618/724374

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

captainOrbital posted:

This is funny irrespective of what it's being said in response to.

So I'd imagine that these boys believe that a woman who has had sex exactly once with each of 30 partners would have a bigger "circumference" than a woman who's had sex thousands of times with one man.

Those boys know that some of those partners probably had bigger dicks than they do. Probably a lot of those partners. So many guys have bigger dicks and that's bad because it makes them feel inferior ruins vaginae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"You know, my dick's not big enough to ruin your vagina for future lovers. Here, look at this graph..." - me on my first Bumble chat