Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
people play overwatch because they want to look cool and have fun and a magical princess skin is precisely what people want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

thexerox123 posted:

That's a weird reaction to have. I don't think that would be a concern for most people. Why would seeing someone who had gotten a mastectomy getting on with their life make you feel horrible? Do you feel awful about playing Ana because she lost an eye? Or Junkrat because he lost a leg? Etc etc.

If junkrat wasn't a goofy motherfucker and his leg looked hosed up you know it'd be uncomfortable. I've seen amputated legs in real life, that poo poo isn't comfortable to look at.

I don't think its easy to put in "mastectomy skin" without it looking very close to the real thing, especially in a charity skin based on it. If they made it cartoony they'd piss off the actual people affected by it.

There is a reason all the breast cancer charities just go with pink and a ribbon rather than showing you images of it. They realise that you don't need to force people to look at it to get donations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dogstile posted:

If junkrat wasn't a goofy motherfucker and his leg looked hosed up you know it'd be uncomfortable. I've seen amputated legs in real life, that poo poo isn't comfortable to look at.

I don't think its easy to put in "mastectomy skin" without it looking very close to the real thing, especially in a charity skin based on it. If they made it cartoony they'd piss off the actual people affected by it.

Your first sentence contradicts the second.

So they can make a leg amputation cartoony, but not a mastectomy? Why?

99% of people effected would either not care or be happy to see representation.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

people play overwatch because they want to look cool and have fun and a magical princess skin is precisely what people want

So, they can't make a magical princess with one breast? People who have been through surgical procedures can't be cool and fun?

It'd make her even more badass.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

thexerox123 posted:

Your first sentence contradicts the second.

So they can make a leg amputation cartoony, but not a mastectomy? Why?

99% of people effected would either not care or be happy to see representation.

"I don't think its easy to put in "mastectomy skin" without it looking very close to the real thing, especially in a charity skin based on it. If they made it cartoony they'd piss off the actual people affected by it."

Hi its me the person who would actually be pissed off if they made a cartoony rear end skin for it, the pink is enough. Why you need to force people to look at it is weird, personally.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
mras have been whining that there is no complementary charity skin for testicular cancer

do you think for even a second that showing those surgery scars would be an effective messaging strategy in order to raise donations

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

dogstile posted:

Yeah, any comic that takes more than a few lines to deliver its joke is lovely

I'm not being sarcastic btw, gently caress comic writers who want to write a book in 3 panels.

The joke is the excessive exposition.

Guigui posted:

I wonder if Blizzard thought of the idea of a Mercy or, say, Anna skin showing that they had a mastectomy.

I just don't get why it's not some sort of futuristic lab coat skin. They picked Mercy because she's a medic and then dressed her as candyfloss. It makes zero sense to me.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dogstile posted:

Why you need to force people to look at it is weird, personally.

Yes, better to shame people who have had mastectomies into pretending it never happened. Why would we want to see their disgusting bodies represented anywhere?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

do you think for even a second that showing those surgery scars would be an effective messaging strategy in order to raise donations

Nobody is suggesting showing scars.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I wasn't actively playing during the last anniversary event. Do any of you remember how long before the event it was when they started showing off the skins?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
fly up thread press space fly up

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Perfectly Safe posted:

The joke is the excessive exposition.

I just don't get why it's not some sort of futuristic lab coat skin. They picked Mercy because she's a medic and then dressed her as candyfloss. It makes zero sense to me.

Ah, well it certainly made me gloss over it :shrug:

They literally just made her pink because pink represents it and they know people will eat up the princess poo poo.

thexerox123 posted:

Yes, better to shame people who have had mastectomies into pretending it never happened. Why would we want to see their disgusting bodies represented anywhere?

Sure, while we're at it lets give junkrat realistic burn scars, cree can cough up blood due to lung cancer every now and again, genji can grunt in pain all the time due to being fused with metal in a very experimental suit, etc.

Or you could perhaps realise that maybe the shooty cartoon game isn't the place to put this poo poo? "Oh no, the videogame raising money for this isn't doing it the way i want them to do it".

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dogstile posted:

Sure, while we're at it lets give junkrat realistic burn scars, cree can cough up blood due to lung cancer every now and again, genji can grunt in pain all the time due to being fused with metal in a very experimental suit, etc.

Modelling a character with one breast is not like any of those things.

If you have such a negative adverse reaction to seeing a woman with one breast, maybe you should seek therapy.

dogstile posted:

"Oh no, the videogame raising money for this isn't doing it the way i want them to do it".

Literally nobody in the thread has complained that they didn't do it that way. I just find the blowback in this thread to even the possibility of it really gross.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 9, 2018

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

nickhimself posted:

I wasn't actively playing during the last anniversary event. Do any of you remember how long before the event it was when they started showing off the skins?

I would guess a week before, since that's how it's been for the last few events. Although they can get "leaked" up to 10 days or more prior

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

thexerox123 posted:

Modelling a character with one breast is not like any of those things.

If you have such a negative adverse reaction to seeing a woman with one breast, maybe you should seek therapy.

So you compare them to junkrat, but then when i say "oh hey i'd rather not have them do it anywhere similar to the way they did junkrat" you say i need therapy.

Ok, sure. I'm the one with the problem.

In fact, lets break this down.

"Hey i want them to show a mastectomy"
"nah i'd rather not, we already know what its for"
"yeah but junkrats in the game"
"yeah but he's goofy as poo poo"
"but it should be in the game"
"but i'd rather they didn't make a very serious thing goofy"
"ok here's what it'd be like it if wasn't goofy for all of these characters"
"you have a problem seek help".

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 9, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

:stare:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dogstile posted:

So you compare them to junkrat, but then when i say "oh hey i'd rather not have them do it anywhere similar to the way they did junkrat" you say i need therapy.

Ok, sure. I'm the one with the problem.

Because there is not a single ounce of justification for that double standard.

The only reason is the fact that you fetishize breasts, but not legs.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

thexerox123 posted:

Because there is not a single ounce of justification for that double standard.

Then die on the hill I suppose, I just don't see the point.

Maybe when actual charities start throwing images of suffering women on their banners i'll think "hey, maybe they know what the most effective way to raise money is, and its this" but until then I think you're being silly.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dogstile posted:

In fact, lets break this down.

"Hey i want them to show a mastectomy"
"nah i'd rather not, we already know what its for"
"you have a problem seek help".

What a lovely strawman you've composed.

Do you seriously not see the double standard inherent in this part?

You are admitting that in all of those examples, they made a very serious thing goofy. Are those characters problems to you?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 9, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dogstile posted:

Maybe when actual charities start throwing images of suffering women on their banners i'll think "hey, maybe they know what the most effective way to raise money is, and its this" but until then I think you're being silly.

The fact that you cannot wrap your head around someone who survived cancer being able to go on without constantly suffering is bizarre.

Here, let me lay this out there, though I shouldn't have to: I do not believe they should show any of the heroes as constantly suffering in Overwatch. You're the only one going on about that false premise.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 9, 2018

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I would guess a week before, since that's how it's been for the last few events. Although they can get "leaked" up to 10 days or more prior

Hell yeah. I really hope some get leaked far in advance. I'm already craving some new skins and still want some of last years offerings

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

nickhimself posted:

Hell yeah. I really hope some get leaked far in advance. I'm already craving some new skins and still want some of last years offerings

All I want is dances!

I would imagine they'll add dance emotes for all of the new heroes?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Holy poo poo this thread is terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlr2ZMTc52E

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

thexerox123 posted:

The fact that you cannot wrap your head around someone who survived cancer being able to go on without constantly suffering is bizarre.

Here, let me lay this out there, though I shouldn't have to: I do not believe they should show any of the heroes as constantly suffering in Overwatch. You're the only one going on about that false premise.

My grandmother is very much still in pain from it, actually

So yeah, I'd rather not look at something that makes me uncomfortable, I'd rather buy the princess skin that I know is helping without the uncomfortable poo poo

But please, go on and tell me it's because I'm fetishizing breasts

I'm done with you

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dogstile posted:

My grandmother is very much still in pain from it, actually

And there aren't people with leg amputations in pain? What's your point? You're still applying a double standard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It would be really tacky and tasteless to reduce a masectomy to a fancy dress costume.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

They managed to clamp down on the leaking pretty effectively for close to a year now.
All reveaks I remember for last couple of events have been official.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
dear god, this may be the dumbest thread derail ever- is there a Guinness we can submit this too for expert review?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Don't worry, done arguing, derail over. Explaining relativity is something I don't want to do.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I've changed as many skins as I can to pink. D.Va was the easiest.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The insane strawmanning backlash against thexerox's very reasonable concerns was gross as gently caress

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

:yikes:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

All I want is dances!

I would imagine they'll add dance emotes for all of the new heroes?

I'd prefer they add a new "type" of emote instead of more dances (while also adding dance emotes to the dance-less newer heroes ofc). It would be interesting to see "contextual" emotes, i.e. emotes that change how they play out depending on different factors. Like a sit emote that changes if next to a ledge to have their legs hang down, a waiting emote that changes to leaning if next to a wall, etc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

highmodulus posted:

dear god, this may be the dumbest thread derail ever- is there a Guinness we can submit this too for expert review?

The front page is active again!

Can the chill thread back up to the ledge so this one can GA up to it?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Songbearer posted:

I really like the Mercy skin and would like to get it. Please tell me BCRF aren't evil

Already answered but if CharityWatch is trustworthy, they are pretty legit.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

Ah, well it certainly made me gloss over it :shrug:

You do understand that glossing over the last two panels in that comic is literally the entire joke being made there right

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

also :yikes:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wrist Watch posted:

You do understand that glossing over the last two panels in that comic is literally the entire joke being made there right

Yes, I get it now :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oof I'm starting to rethinkin wanting a character in a wheelchair now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

nickhimself posted:

I, too, have suffered through some pretty loving bad things in my life but I don't think they need to be present as talking points or concepts in Overwatch, the cartoon video game about shooting people in the face.

yes, overwatch, the video game that never deals with bad life events like parental abandonment; kidnapping and brainwashing; violent estrangements with your close friends and siblings; getting others killed directly because of your mistakes; amputation, blinding, and body mutilation; or war and mass death