Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
That's interesting, I didn't know that. And I'm not sure I agree that a pardon should be an admission of guilt. As the FReeper says, they are used (very occasionally) when the justice system fails and an innocent person is locked up. You shouldn't have to admit (implied or otherwise) that you did something you didn't do just to be released.

I'm not sure how much it matters though, we really don't need the courts hearing cases where the defendant is facing no penalties and just wants to clear his name. Things are slow enough as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MANime in the sheets posted:

That's interesting, I didn't know that. And I'm not sure I agree that a pardon should be an admission of guilt. As the FReeper says, they are used (very occasionally) when the justice system fails and an innocent person is locked up. You shouldn't have to admit (implied or otherwise) that you did something you didn't do just to be released.

Some states have pardon systems like that but the federal one does not work that way.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Get your scooter runnin' ....

It's time for us to go to Washington

quote:

IT'S TIME.

We need to stop talking and act. A march on Washington DC by We the People, the Trumpers, those of us that voted for him!

I'm thinking in Early September--Labor day or there abouts.

quote:

MAGA March On Washington

Plus, I just paid GoDaddy $17.99 to register the domain name:

MAGAMarchOnWashington.com

No website yet.

204 posted on 5/3/2018, 8:02:30 PM by Alas Babylon! (If white privilege is real, why do we have millions of poor white people?)

200+ posts in about 5 hours for something that will never happen.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
It's just bizarre to be calling for a march on Washington... when your party controls all three branches of government.

Kind of like QAnon: a conspiracy theory that... the sitting POTUS is totally right and everyone should support him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I'm not sure how much it matters though, we really don't need the courts hearing cases where the defendant is facing no penalties and just wants to clear his name. Things are slow enough as it is.

There is a process called expungement, which erases a conviction from your record.

Many states have a process where you can seek expungement after a pardon to fully remove it from your record.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Burdick vs. The United States didn't really establish "A pardon means admission of guilt" directly. It was about the right of someone to reject even an unconditional pardon, specifically related to your Fifth Amendment right to avoid self-incrimination. Your right against self-incrimination only extends to something that you can be incriminated for, so being granted immunity or a pardon removes your ability to incriminate yourself and thus makes you susceptible to contempt of court charges if you refuse to testify. This is why prosecutors trying to get a bigger fish (like Mueller) make deals for immunity to force the guys they caught to testify against their boss. Burdick was jailed for refusing a pardon that was forced on him to try and force him to testify, and the Supreme Court ruled that this was a violation of his Fifth Amendment rights.

Where it comes into play here is that some people have interpreted part of the text of Burdick vs. US as saying that accepting a pardon means accepting guilt (because Burdick refused a pardon as a way of exercising his Fifth Amendment Rights, thus refusing a pardon is an option for an innocent person trying to avoid self-incrimination). It's believed that Gerald Ford used this interpretation to privately justify pardoning Nixon, as he had resigned and the attempt to enforce criminal charges was dropped because of it. Granting Nixon a pardon was a roundabout way of officially declaring Nixon guilty in the public eye.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The tremendously stupid thing here is that Arpaio was literally convicted of a crime. It just reeks of "well what he did shouldn't be a crime so of course he won't admit to guilt!" Well...no. He deliberately defied a court order and ignored reports of serious, violent crimes to profile the poo poo out of Latinos whether they were here legally or not. Dude is a criminal who seriously abused his power to harass some Mexicans.

Which is of course exactly why Freep loves him.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The tremendously stupid thing here is that Arpaio was literally convicted of a crime. It just reeks of "well what he did shouldn't be a crime so of course he won't admit to guilt!" Well...no. He deliberately defied a court order and ignored reports of serious, violent crimes to profile the poo poo out of Latinos whether they were here legally or not. Dude is a criminal who seriously abused his power to harass some Mexicans.

Which is of course exactly why Freep loves him.

Dude is an absolutely top-tier, irredeemable piece of mushy poo poo. He will die peacefully in his sleep, surrounded by the trappings of wealth, and will be remembered fondly as a tough, no-nonsense lawman and beloved member of his community. I'd prefer that he rot slowly from the inside out, be shoveled into a pauper's grave, and spend eternity reviled by all who know his name, but them's the breaks.

Maybe I don't prefer it, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Never forget that in 1999 Arpaio faked an assassination attempt against himself and framed an innocent teenager to drum up support for reelection. Like the dude is famous for establishing concentration camps as prisons, abusing prisoners, demanding that anyone brown-skinned be arrested on suspicion of illegal immigration, and targeting political opponents, but nobody really brings up that he framed an innocent man to make himself more popular.

The dude is an outright sociopath. He'll hurt anyone and everyone if he doesn't like them or they get in his way. He's the kind of evil that movies are made about. The only thing that's kept him from a citizen lynching is being in a stable country and not trying to start summary executions.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Arpaio is the worst piece of the poo poo elected to a government office in my lifetime.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
He's a pretty good one-word answer to the question "Why do you hate Republicans so much?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Never forget that in 1999 Arpaio faked an assassination attempt against himself and framed an innocent teenager to drum up support for reelection. Like the dude is famous for establishing concentration camps as prisons, abusing prisoners, demanding that anyone brown-skinned be arrested on suspicion of illegal immigration, and targeting political opponents, but nobody really brings up that he framed an innocent man to make himself more popular.

The dude is an outright sociopath. He'll hurt anyone and everyone if he doesn't like them or they get in his way. He's the kind of evil that movies are made about. The only thing that's kept him from a citizen lynching is being in a stable country and not trying to start summary executions.

The thing that kept him from being lynched is that he's an angry, old, white racist in a red state.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
If Joe Arpaio had been born 50 years earlier he'd be right up there in the history books next to Bull Connor. Literally.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Smeep posted:

IT'S TIME.

We need to stop talking and act. A march on Washington DC by We the People, the Trumpers, those of us that voted for him!

I'm thinking in Early September--Labor day or there abouts.

This has been what you retards have been doing since he got elected. It's just that your dumbasses let the racists and Nazis march for you and everyone pushed back because to normal people these things are horribly wrong

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Gonzaga warns against partying by 'non-Mexican individuals'

A school administrator sent around an email saying basically "drinking Corona at Chipotle's is not a good way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo." and the Snowflake Brigade got a hold of it.

quote:

To: jmcenanly

“Cultural appropriation” is only a sin in the religion of liberalism.

Liberals must stop trying to force their religion on everyone else.

American citizens have the God-given and Constitutionally-protected right to free speech. And such speech may offend people.

Someone in authority should not be dictating what kind of speech they may or may not be permitted to engage in.

2 posted on 05/04/2018 2:15:19 PM PDT by unlearner (A war is coming.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

:dadjoke:

quote:

To: All

Over 100 years ago, the Presidente of Mexico went to England for a royal function...While there, he tasted a certain condiment that he’d never had before...he fell in love with it...

He wanted the Mexican people to have it, so he ordered 100 cases of this condiment shipped to Mexico...

On it’s way, on April 15, 1912, the ship carrying this condiment hit an iceburg and sank...

The condiment for Mexico was on the Titanic....

The Presidnete felt so bad that he declared a national holiday...

That’s where the holiday, “Sinko De Mayo” came form...

True story...............(maybe)

4 posted on 05/04/2018 2:19:52 PM PDT by JBW1949 (I'm really PC....PATRIOTICALLY CORRECT!!!!)

You're not my mom, you can't tell me what to do!

quote:

"Don't you dare put on that 'sombrero,'" the flyer tells students

Methinks it's time to do some sombrero shopping.

7 posted on 05/04/2018 2:27:12 PM PDT by Flycatcher (God speaks to us, through the supernal lightness of birds, in a special type of poetry.)

quote:

Way past time for the students to tell the administration to shove it up their Dorkbamaholes.

And that’s not cultural appropriation, because EVERYONE has a Doribamahole.

10 posted on 05/04/2018 2:31:10 PM PDT by Da Coyote

Jesuits! :argh:

quote:

Are all Jesuits Marxist or just some of them

15 posted on 05/04/2018 2:40:40 PM PDT by northislander

quote:

To: TLI

Judi shouldn’t be making such demands unless she can prove that she is a direct descendant of fascists.

21 posted on 05/04/2018 3:04:44 PM PDT by posterchild
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Lookin' like a ponce to own the libs

quote:

I’d wear a sombrero, a fake mustache, and a Frito Bandito t shirt to class just to piss them off.

L

23 posted on 05/04/2018 3:08:51 PM PDT by Lurker (President Trump isn't our last chance. President Trump is THEIR last chance.)

quote:

Cinco Deporto! Deport any Mexican that does party.

28 posted on 05/04/2018 3:14:56 PM PDT by Reno89519 (No Amnesty! No Catch-and-Release! Just Say No to All Illegal Aliens! Arrest & Deport!)

...and we don't even get a White History Month either! :qq:

quote:

90 percent of Mexicans haven't go a clue as to what Cinco de Quatro is all about, I would ask all my Hispanic employees and every single one would answer that it was a day to get drunk.

Why is that cultural appropriation is almost always something only Whites are accused of? When was the last time a Mexican was chastised for wearing European style clothing or celebrating North American and intrinsically White holidays? When was the last time an Asian wearing a European style dress to a prom was chastised for cultural appropriation? No Thanksgiving Day for Hispanics, Asians, Jews and Muslims ! No St. Patricks Day for Hispanics, Asians, Jews and Muslims. What else should be excluded from Non White Europeans as Cultural Appropriation?

Or should common sense just drive a stake through the heart of this race pandering bullshit?

31 posted on 05/04/2018 3:17:26 PM PDT by Mastador1 (I'll take a bad dog over a good politician any day!)

quote:

To: All

Multiculturalism:

Group B gets to keep all of their own stuff.

Group A, however, has to share all of their stuff with Group B.

It plays out that way in entertainment just like it does with holidays, student groups, professional organizations, and awards.

“Group A” stations and channels become Everybody Channels.

“Group B” gets to have its own stations and channels.

It is sociocultural genocide of Group A.

34 posted on 05/04/2018 3:25:51 PM PDT by Architect of Avalon

*Get's arrested by ICE*

quote:

If I was still running a fraternity’s social program in today’s atmosphere on a campus, I would have a “Self-declared Mexican Day” party and tell the administration we have a civil right to be recognized as who we feel we are.

Use their own liberal dogma against them.

36 posted on 05/04/2018 3:28:02 PM PDT by wildbill (Quis Custodiet ipsos custodes? Who watches the watchmen?)

quote:

To: Mastador1

Western Judeo-Christian ideals were created by Caucasians...every one else go back to living in caves and killing each other. I for one have had it with this extreme cultural appropriation.

42 posted on 05/04/2018 3:41:01 PM PDT by hal ogen (First Amendment or Reeducation Camp?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

quote:

To: unlearner

Anyone who sends their child to a Jesuit run school should have realized a long time ago that Jesuits are not Catholic. Just take a look at the guy who lives in a hotel room inside the Vatican.

47 posted on 05/04/2018 4:36:31 PM PDT by CdMGuy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

quote:

The students should take this one step further and post signs on campus and around town to BOYCOTT MEXICAN FOOD restaurants to prove they will not be appropriating Mexican culture on Cinco de Mayo.

51 posted on 05/04/2018 5:28:46 PM PDT by weston (As far as I'm concerned, it's Christ or nothing)

quote:

Cultural appropriation?

More like cultural extermination. Of AMERICAN culture.

Screw Mexican crap, meant to bolster ILLEGAL tolerance. Even though it is a false holiday hardly recognized by Mexicans.

For me May 5 is for American celebration of Derby Day.

54 posted on 05/04/2018 5:41:29 PM PDT by the OlLine Rebel (Common sense is an uncommon virtue./Federal-run medical care is as good as state-run DMVs.)

quote:

Surprised they don’t ask them to each hire an illegal. There is nothing more authentic than letting Mexican illegals take our jobs.

56 posted on 05/04/2018 5:46:38 PM PDT by Yaelle

As someone who takes walks on a trail through that campus regularly, please don't.

quote:

Calling all Freepers near to this liberal indoctrination center......Time to pull out the ponchos and sombreros and have a taco bbg on public areas of the campus.

61 posted on 05/04/2018 8:26:49 PM PDT by Some Fat Guy in L.A. (Still bitterly clinging to rational thought despite it's unfashionability)

:911:

quote:

To: Old Yeller

most holidays are embellished....look how Mothers day/Fathers day/Valentines Day etc are pushed so we'll buy candy and flowers and send expensive cards...

other holidays are for drinking and eating....

its called "AMERICA"...

67 posted on 05/05/2018 1:34:17 AM PDT by cherry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 53 | View Replies]

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
freep should integrate a blood pressure gauge by each post so we can see which ones really push their hearts to the limit

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they can barely code competant html

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Western Judeo-Christian ideals were created by Caucasians...every one else go back to living in caves and killing each other. I for one have had it with this extreme cultural appropriation.

Abraham and Jesus-noted white guys

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Alternatively, Buddhism, known for it's love of violence!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

AnoHito posted:

Though in fairness, Sri Lanka, Burma, and Thailand have no problem womping on their minorities...

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

AnoHito posted:

*Ahem* Rohingya...

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Here's an edgy take:

Is John McCain Endangering His Soul By Preventing Trump From Attending His Funeral?

Donald Trump, famous for never getting angry, never judging, and being full of forgiveness.

quote:

As you judge others, you too will be judged... Sorry John. Your anger will hold you back.

3 posted on 5/8/2018, 12:07:12 PM by tired&retired (Blessings)

Noted devout Christian, Donald Trump.

quote:

I’s not what you do with others, it’s what you do with Jesus Christ. “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”

7 posted on 5/8/2018, 12:09:38 PM by native texan ((I don't even recognize our government any longer. Are we in Venezuela?))

Is this actually a thing? Dude still can't use his arms right.

quote:

He didn’t endure any torture in Vietnam , that is a myth he has spread.

It’s part of the reason that Nam Vets and those very close to then (such as President Trump) hate MCCain for his self serving lies

8 posted on 5/8/2018, 12:09:42 PM by WashingtonFire (President Trump - it's like having your dad as President)

Maybe Trump doesn't *want* to go to McLame's stupid old funeral anyway!

quote:

What makes anyone think Trump wants to go?

McCain is only a senator.

No reason to act like he is a head of state.

12 posted on 5/8/2018, 12:12:59 PM by BenLurkin (The above is not a statement of fact. It is either satire or opinion. Or both.)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You don't even need to be angry at or dislike Trump to think "Hmmm... Probably not a good choice if I want for this to be a somber and dignified affair."

How long does anyone seriously think Donnie could last before trying to make McCain's funeral about himself?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

quote:

I’s not what you do with others, it’s what you do with Jesus Christ. “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”

loving hell

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Gum posted:

loving hell

IT's just them trying to reconcile why they can be human garbage and still win the afterlife prize. If they ever cracked the spine of their holy book there's lots of info that tells them they're going to hell.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

What makes anyone think Trump wants to go?

McCain is only a senator.

No reason to act like he is a head of state.

12 posted on 5/8/2018, 12:12:59 PM by BenLurkin (The above is not a statement of fact. It is either satire or opinion. Or both.)

He was sure obsessed with McCain through the few years he's been politically relevant though

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SocketWrench posted:

IT's just them trying to reconcile why they can be human garbage and still win the afterlife prize. If they ever cracked the spine of their holy book there's lots of info that tells them they're going to hell.

American Christianity is a weird, hateful, self-interested apostasy that treats Christ's sacrifice as a get out of jail free card and his teachings as "something for a different Dispensation."

I despise it so.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Welp, daddy just pulled us out of the Iran deal, can't wait for freep's response to that.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Keeshhound posted:

Welp, daddy just pulled us out of the Iran deal, can't wait for freep's response to that.

It will likely boil down to "great, now let's kill them all," said with far, far more racist language.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It will likely boil down to "great, now let's kill them all," said with far, far more racist language.

The other five members of the deal have all vowed to stay in it, and Iran has started further negotiations with them, so I expect bitching about European "traitors" as well.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keeshhound posted:

You don't even need to be angry at or dislike Trump to think "Hmmm... Probably not a good choice if I want for this to be a somber and dignified affair."

How long does anyone seriously think Donnie could last before trying to make McCain's funeral about himself?

They're on their "Trump is the most dignified and most Decorum-adhering president ever! He is the best and most honorable man ever!" thing following Michelle Wolf and denying any of the things Trump ever said, so they will say he'd give a eulogy that wouil;d make every cheer and force Obama to shed his human suit and be exorcised, or some poo poo.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keeshhound posted:

The other five members of the deal have all vowed to stay in it, and Iran has started further negotiations with them, so I expect bitching about European "traitors" as well.

If the Iran deal can survive Trump pulling out of it, then John Kerry seriously deserves the Nobel Peace Prize.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fulchrum posted:

If the Iran deal can survive Trump pulling out of it, then John Kerry seriously deserves the Nobel Peace Prize.

I don't have high hopes, I'm just predicting the response.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keeshhound posted:

I don't have high hopes, I'm just predicting the response.

I did say "If".

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, it likely won't because Trump wants to dump sanctions on them, so Iran will likely just figure "gently caress it, we're getting rear end rammed either way, might as well go ahead and make some bombs"

Then Trump will start a war and shortly after the next pres takes over (likely a dem) we'll get nuked and all the chuds will blame the current pres for it rather than the fucker that caused it all

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

As you judge others, you too will be judged... Sorry John. Your anger will hold you back.

3 posted on 5/8/2018, 12:07:12 PM by tired&retired (Blessings)
Yes John McCain, you'll never get anywhere with THAT attitude, you better change it!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Re Avenatti exposing Cohen's sketchy dealings:

quote:

This guy reminds me of the little girl in my kindergarten class. The teacher left the room during nap time and said, “Don’t anybody open your eyes until I get back.”

when she got back, sally jumped up and said, “Billy opened his eyes while you were gone!”

Heck, it cracked me up at the time. So does this.

20 posted on 5/9/2018, 1:08:43 PM by robroys woman (So you're not confused, I'm using my wife's account.)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
...if he wasn't the teacher, why was he in a kindergarten class?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I read some good freepiness on the Avenatti stuff today. It was totally freep is right but for the wrong reasons. I'll have to see if I can dig it up in my history.

Treasury inspector general launches probe into possible leak of Michael Cohen’s banking records

quote:

To: Magnatron
They bypassed the Attorney General’s office. Someone probably ought to go and hire up a lawyer and prepare to be either fired, or sent off for a couple of months in some prison deal.

4 posted on 5/9/2018, 1:46:15 PM by pepsionice

:thunk: ya don't say

quote:

Someone should go to prison for this, and it isn’t Michael Cohen.

6 posted on 5/9/2018, 1:50:05 PM by txrefugee

lord willing my friend.

quote:

One day, someday real soon...at least one of these countless "investigations" into the coup against Trump and our political process, better lead to prison time.
11 posted on 5/9/2018, 1:59:19 PM by rxsid (HOW CAN A NATURAL BORN CITIZEN'S STATUS BE "GOVERNED" BY GREAT BRITAIN? - Leo Donofrio (2009))

What-about-those-crimesism.

quote:

The problem with government, they take confidential documents and leak them, sheesh, that is CRIMINAL at the least.

14 posted on 5/9/2018, 2:03:29 PM by 1Old Pro

quote:

To: txrefugee
Someone should go to prison for this, and it isn’t Michael Cohen.
Yep, the government is committing worse crimes than the person they are investigating, what next, will they release his medical records. This really stinks, it's an aggravated crime.

16 posted on 5/9/2018, 2:04:57 PM by 1Old Pro

quote:

To: raiderboy
He was literally quoted in the NBC “article” (propaganda piece) as saying that Mueller’s team had information. How did he get it? That’s the problem. He basically admitted he got his information from the witch hunt.

47 posted on 5/9/2018, 2:57:37 PM by spacewarp (FreeRepublic, Rush's show prep since foundation.)

...people are going to jail, don't worry about that.

quote:

Hopefully someone will go to prison for this. Not holding my breath though as we now have dual justice systems in this country. How we got to this point is anyone’s guess.

If I throw a non-recyclable item in my blue recycle can, I get in trouble. These people leak other people’s financial holdings, records, etc., and nothing happens to them.

49 posted on 5/9/2018, 3:00:58 PM by Kevin in California

quote:

To: raiderboy
There’s 3 different Cohens and 3 different payments....someone has access to EVERY bank transfer in the US and they leaked.

As bad as Mueller is, this is as bad.

63 posted on 5/9/2018, 6:44:29 PM by crazycat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SocketWrench posted:

He was sure obsessed with McCain through the few years he's been politically relevant though

He's only really obsessed with McCain because McCain lost to Obama. He's just regurgitating the same poo poo Sean Hannity would say about McCain.