Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Bayonnefrog posted:

They're definitely working on a game. They're just terrible at it. It's Harvard Business School case study levels of mismanagement. And the product they're working on no one wants. A small group of single, no-lifer males with disposable income are the one funding it. This has no broad based support across the gaming industry. We're having a good laugh at the whole thing.

Lets be honest, this is Greendale Community College case study levels of mismanagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

G0RF posted:

MASSIVELYOP: HAVE YOU BACKED ANY MMO KICKSTARTERS THAT YOU DEEPLY REGRET?

Bree Royce cracks me up...
[/b]
Star Citizen backer and #realtalk practitioner Deekay offers a summary of Crowdfunding’s Honeymoon phase right to the bitter divorce:

Also, Derek [url=http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/07/star-citizen-players-grumble-over-warbonds-insurance-and-the-latest-concept-ship-promotion/#comment-548514]showed up in the early MOP article comments to do his thang:
[/b]

:chrispop:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bayonnefrog posted:

They're definitely working on a game. They're just terrible at it. It's Harvard Business School case study levels of mismanagement. And the product they're working on no one wants. A small group of single, no-lifer males with disposable income are the one funding it. This has no broad based support across the gaming industry. We're having a good laugh at the whole thing.

I think it's actually pretty arguable that they're even working on a game at this point. Out of the whole company there are, at most, something like a dozen people who actually seem to put out code updates. Maybe there's some secret team squirreled away that is going to deliver the fully formed single player campaign but look at the state of the game in every release so far- it's classic code rot, with minor new features tacked on. 90% of the company seems to be dedicated to making art assets, making videos about those art assets, and making sales based on those videos of those art assets. And it has nothing to do with perfectionism- again, look at the state of every patch so far. They kick poo poo out the moment it's barely functional and then don't touch it again for months.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I was just thinking that the tone of the backer community has shifted with more and more negative news in relation to.detractors. Just two years ago, people would just say wait for Jesus patch to silence doubts or haters. Now the argument has increased in frevor and that CIG are dealing with an organized hate campaign that wants the game to fail.

It's an interesting shift, and I think it speaks to the increasing anxiety of the backers in lue of actual progress and other cash grab tactics. I can't wait for Goons to get the blaim if CIG fails.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Sample_text posted:

EDIT: Even more serious answer. Blackmail Derek into taking over Star Citizen by threatening to reveal his real name.

Chris Roberts, attempting to determine Derek Smart's true name using the Scaminomicon, unwittingly unleashes the FUDites.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

I think it's actually pretty arguable that they're even working on a game at this point. Out of the whole company there are, at most, something like a dozen people who actually seem to put out code updates. Maybe there's some secret team squirreled away that is going to deliver the fully formed single player campaign but look at the state of the game in every release so far- it's classic code rot, with minor new features tacked on. 90% of the company seems to be dedicated to making art assets, making videos about those art assets, and making sales based on those videos of those art assets. And it has nothing to do with perfectionism- again, look at the state of every patch so far. They kick poo poo out the moment it's barely functional and then don't touch it again for months.

There's also a sizeable team putting together the tech demo/demo levels that showcase the new "tech" - think of the "city" they showed people "flying" through. Making all that bullshit so they can claim it's in-engine and not CGI is very time-consuming, and all of that work is useless because it was made just for the video and doesn't work with existing code.

I've said it before and I haven't changed my mind: CIG was doomed when they rushed out the PTU at the end of 2015 in order to put a cork on refunds by "proving" the game was real. They painted themselves into a corner right then by doing something anathema to CIG's business model: actually releasing something.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Beet Wagon posted:

I am ashamed to admit... that CIG's top level staff is so dumb and inept that their moves have been predicted by a brain-damaged dude and his dog.

it's a good dog though

all dogs are good

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

im pretty frugal so i dont mind being scammed out of $60

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

So Elite: Dangerous just has a solo mode, which is essentially "Offline Mode", whereas SotA has no offline mode, and Star Citizen's offline mode engages every time it crashes.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Nicholas posted:

im pretty frugal so i dont mind being scammed out of $60

For Star Citizer, $60 is nothing. For any other game it might be something though. Really puts into perspective how people are spending.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

There's also a sizeable team putting together the tech demo/demo levels that showcase the new "tech" - think of the "city" they showed people "flying" through. Making all that bullshit so they can claim it's in-engine and not CGI is very time-consuming, and all of that work is useless because it was made just for the video and doesn't work with existing code.

I've said it before and I haven't changed my mind: CIG was doomed when they rushed out the PTU at the end of 2015 in order to put a cork on refunds by "proving" the game was real. They painted themselves into a corner right then by doing something anathema to CIG's business model: actually releasing something.

Half the time that stuff turns out to be sourced to outside contractors though. Or at least, it's always rumored that that is the case.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Sarsapariller posted:

There are probably a bunch of people working on it, its just at this point its just a bunch of amazingly badly managed bottom tier talent working on a hacked together codebase.

Some of the code they show in bugsmashers is godawful and the fact that no one thinks "maybe we shouldnt show this in public" is pretty telling.

CellarDweller fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 9, 2018

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Speaking of development, Astroneers has put out a fun update with land vehicles. I remember enjoying this when it came out, need to swing back around and see what else has happened with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VtWC38nWOY

Reminder that this game with like 3 people developing it has like 70% of the mechanics promised by Star Citizen in a more stable format with deformable terrain to boot.

Edit: Also, Bridge Crew, the star-trek VR game, is getting DLC with a TNG campaign and ships.

https://news.ubisoft.com/article/star-trek-bridge-crew-enterprise-d-romulans-borg-and-more-arrive-in-new-expansion

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 9, 2018

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

I can't wait for Goons to get the blaim if CIG fails.

I don't think it is possible. Either CIG and CR will have spent 200m and produce nothing, and citizens will rightfully blame CR ; or the tracker is full of malversations whatever they can be, and that's fraud territory. In this case, a bunch of angry racist nerds will be the least of CR's worry.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

They are hosed. 2 weeks.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

Ok, yes this wins everything.

Memento

That was it! Thank you

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MedicineHut posted:

Humilty is no longer hollow like death!

(squint a lot, there was a lot of plane to remove)

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
it's actually amazing to me that CIG could be having funding issues, assuming that the lastest turn of events isn't just a cash grab.

Despite being completely cround funded they've had a statistically-improbable, consistant level of income since 2013. Assuming the funding tracker is real, how could they have any trouble budgeting their expenses for the year, or a few years (if they want to ensure they'll be able to complete the game in a worst case scenario). The crowdfunding spreadsheet even helpfully includes a forecast analysis that goes all the way to 2021.

So really, theres no simple, believable explaination for what is currently happening that make CIG look good. The options seem to be limited to

1. The funding tracker is faked
2. CIG are extremely bad at budgeting (actually this applies whether the tracker is faked or not, since they should still know how much they expect to bring in)
3. The lastest sales tactics are a completely unnesscary, consumer hostile cash grab.
4. None of the above are true but they are expecting some upcoming large outflux of cash, possibly by way of lawsuit, debt repayment, or tax collection.

anyway, lol.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/badnewsbaron/status/993932175417528320
https://twitter.com/Silky_Z/status/993971148730830848
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/994167795079352321

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Goons will 100% get the blame if CIG goes bust before releasing a game. If CIG going bust were CIG's fault, backers would have been stupid to trust them with their money. If CIG's failure is the goons' fault, their wise investments were sabotaged by an evil force that's out of the backers' control.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Zzr posted:

I don't think it is possible. Either CIG and CR will have spent 200m and produce nothing, and citizens will rightfully blame CR ; or the tracker is full of malversations whatever they can be, and that's fraud territory. In this case, a bunch of angry racist nerds will be the least of CR's worry.

The nuttier ones will certainly claim that Roberts failed because of a secret goonish conspiracy. The seeds of that narrative have been forming for a while now.

CellarDweller fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 9, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

CellarDweller posted:

The nuttier ones will certainly claim that Roberts failed because of a secret goonish conspiracy. The seeds of that narrative have been forming for a while now.

Well, for fucks sake don't mention that cash injection we had from George Soros.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It was the bears that brought them down in the end.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Enchanted Hat posted:

Goons will 100% get the blame if CIG goes bust before releasing a game. If CIG going bust were CIG's fault, backers would have been stupid to trust them with their money. If CIG's failure is the goons' fault, their wise investments were sabotaged by an evil force that's out of the backers' control.

Hey, if it means I provided services equaling 1.8 million dollars in damages in order to kill the beast known as Star Citizen, I'll take it.

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t
I'm almost 100% sure Sq42 will release 'something'. Don't ignore the Sandi Factor. She's got to be breathing down the neck of her husband and whatever unlucky developer(s) are within earshot. She will NOT end up on the cutting room floor once more! Even if the game is nothing more than 'click the button to watch the next scene' - Sandi WILL be seen 'acting' with B+ list stars.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Enchanted Hat posted:

Goons getting the blame would only be a credit for us to revel in.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Star Citizen is not good, and is infact bad.

We achieved peak thread, I repeat, we achieved peak thread.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Someone shop Sandi spitting in the beer, please

e: and please please please someone shop Clifford drinking it

tuo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 9, 2018

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

Hav posted:

(squint a lot, there was a lot of plane to remove)

:five: :five: :five: :drat: :bravo: :bravo:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/994215898360709121
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/994215911132409856
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/994215922742255616
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/994215931470581760
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/994215939724972032

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zzr posted:

I don't think it is possible. Either CIG and CR will have spent 200m and produce nothing, and citizens will rightfully blame CR ;

Zzr posted:

and citizens will rightfully blame CR ;

Ahahahaha, you must be new in these here lands partner.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Scruffpuff posted:

I wonder if in the deepest recesses of his mind Chris is aware, on some level, of the incredible game, community, and opportunity he squandered, and if he fully comprehends the horrifying joke of a game and cesspool of a community that replaced it.

I think no. Because Chris himself has not been personally inconvenienced in a way he cannot bluster and shout his way past. Any problems or delays or issues either don't reach his desk (he's shouted down or fired all the people who dared), and the cheques keep landing in his bank account. The minions keep cringing and saying "yes Mr Roberts". The crowds keep showing up to Citizencon and cheering his name. The media outlets still fawn (because the sceptical ones have been denied access by now). Okay, the free pizzas have stopped but that's just his faithless audience. They'll be back when Star Citizen releases.

I keep saying it, but I've seen this level of detachment from reality in a CEO. Reality doesn't penetrate until something or someone directly pulls their vision apart to their face (usually a bailiff). Then you get the screaming breakdowns.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nicholas posted:

it's actually amazing to me that CIG could be having funding issues, assuming that the lastest turn of events isn't just a cash grab.

Let me explain to you what happens when a dude like CR is suddenly given access to a pile of money to create an ill-defined product down the line and believes that the money faucet will stay open forever. (So it's number 2 in your list)

A-list Hollywood poo poo happens.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Is there any update on the Crytek lawsuit?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sample_text posted:

If I was Chris Roberts.....

[...]
All the while, I'm putting together a personal savings account so I can retire from gaming forever.

That's never gonna happen. He's never going to get his fingers out of game development or movie making, because becoming a bigshot director/developer is his main (and maybe only) goal.

If Crobberts is socking away money, it's not for a retirement on a island with no extradition laws, it's to fund his return to Hollywood. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he always planned for SC to be a stepping stone for his return into movies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elite Dangerous, which is a real game you can play, sucks because it doesn't have offline.

Star Citizen, which is an unplayable fantasy, is fine.

:rolleyes:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So Elite: Dangerous just has a solo mode, which is essentially "Offline Mode", whereas SotA has no offline mode, and Star Citizen's offline mode engages every time it crashes.

E:FB

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This guy can gently caress right off.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Loxbourne posted:

Okay, the free pizzas have stopped but that's just his faithless audience. They'll be back when Star Citizen releases.

Bad timing posting this after a Clifford dipshit dump.

Also, here to remind you he has a good job.Do you think he will ever look back on spending 50 thousand dollars on a video game with regret. (the answer is no)

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBall_MD
Oct 11, 2016

Nicholas posted:

Despite being completely cround funded they've had a statistically-improbable, consistant level of income since 2013. Assuming the funding tracker is real, how could they have any trouble budgeting their expenses for the year, or a few years (if they want to ensure they'll be able to complete the game in a worst case scenario). The crowdfunding spreadsheet even helpfully includes a forecast analysis that goes all the way to 2021.

So really, theres no simple, believable explaination for what is currently happening that make CIG look good. The options seem to be limited to

1. The funding tracker is faked
2. CIG are extremely bad at budgeting (actually this applies whether the tracker is faked or not, since they should still know how much they expect to bring in)
3. The lastest sales tactics are a completely unnesscary, consumer hostile cash grab.
4. None of the above are true but they are expecting some upcoming large outflux of cash, possibly by way of lawsuit, debt repayment, or tax collection.

anyway, lol.

It's got to be '3', unless there is an unsurpassed level of idiocy at work here.

With that amount of capital, surely they should be paying most of their expenses out of the returns on some safe investments? I can't see how they can be in financial trouble at this point.