Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
$20 just seems outrageous for a glamour. Even an amazing glamour wouldn't be worth that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

$20 just seems outrageous for a glamour. Even an amazing glamour wouldn't be worth that much.

And I cant justify a $16 Easter egg, much as I'd love to.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Regarding the mog station prices I assume the prices are a conversion of how much they charge in Japan-bucks where Japanese people would be big enough suckers to pay so much.
If Square Enix lowered the prices for people outside of Japan they would get more sales and make more money but Japanese players would realize they are being cheated and complain wouldn't they.

For all I know the prices could be cheaper in Japan though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

macfam posted:

Regarding the mog station prices I assume the prices are a conversion of how much they charge in Japan-bucks where Japanese people would be big enough suckers to pay so much.
If Square Enix lowered the prices for people outside of Japan they would get more sales and make more money but Japanese players would realize they are being cheated and complain wouldn't they.

Considering 4 out of every 5 people I've seen today are wearing either an angel or devil outfit I don't think they're having too much trouble selling it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

macfam posted:

The angel/devil look to be 1,944 yen a piece.

edit: everything looks to be roughly the same price, couple cents cheaper.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 9, 2018

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

macfam posted:

It's pretty typical of the Japanese business model for nerd-oriented-goods to sell things at a price where you break even at a low number of sales. They figure the people who want it will buy it no matter what, and the people who don't can either pony up or be ignored. There's also probably a decent amount of people who ONLY play FFXIV as their primary time-waster and they probably don't see an issue with dropping another $20 here and there.

That said, they apparently had a good bit of success with their 30% off campaign that ran a few months back. While that still leaves things like "hideous winged jacket with an enormous poofy bottom half found on 2/3rds of the items in the game as a lazy way to avoid leg clipping" priced way too high, it's still worth holding out for it if you care at all.

For everything it's worth, I think their pricing scheme is dumb, and it comes off as cashing in on the good will they've built up. They've largely moved cosmetics out of the seasonal events and into the cash shop, which began happening right around when they removed the other drip feed for glamours: the veteran rewards. There's pretty clearly a directive to milk their one standout success for everything they can and wasting resources making free poo poo probably isn't high on their priority list right now.

e: They're definitely finding success with the current pricing model, and I don't blame them for doing it. I only find it a bit silly in the grand scheme of things and it doesn't hurt my personal enjoyment of the game at all since it's optional. Just to get ahead of that whole discussion.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 9, 2018

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

It's not even a Japanese thing.

I remembered back in WoW when they started selling cash shop items. Some celestial horse thing that cost $25 at the time, and people even sat in a queue for hours for it. I saw so many people with That Retarded Horse , Blizzard must have made millions.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'd have less issues with the cash shop if poo poo were more reasonably priced or dispersed account-wide. They're really milking it bad lately.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Philonius posted:

It's not even a Japanese thing.

I never played retail WoW so maybe they are just stealing another thing from that play book.

It doesn't really cost them anything to just set out the bait at a silly price, so unfortunately that's what makes sense to do.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Most I'd pay for a kick rear end glamour would be 10 bucks. And it would have to be an AMAZING glamour. Ok not pissing anything extra past that for a game I anyway bought 2 expansions for and pay a monthly subscription.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
WoW charges $60 for the same boost you can get for 25 here.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Sade posted:

WoW charges $60 for the same boost you can get for 25 here.

FFXIV has the MSQ too, so it’s $60 vs $50 unless you consider slogging through fetch quests that are 50 levels below you to be a worthwhile experience.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ryanbomber posted:

FFXIV has the MSQ too, so it’s $60 vs $50 unless you consider slogging through fetch quests that are 50 levels below you to be a worthwhile experience.

I suppose it's cheaper if you just want to boost alt jobs, but unlike WoW you aren't getting a second character that can have separate lockouts and such.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
What's most important is that Fantasias are :10bux: which, from what I've seen in my time playing MMOs, is drat cheap for a full race change ticket. No, I'm not attempting to justify my addiction what are you saying hahahaha

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

What's most important is that Fantasias are :10bux: which, from what I've seen in my time playing MMOs, is drat cheap for a full race change ticket. No, I'm not attempting to justify my addiction what are you saying hahahaha

Is this you?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Love to spend $5000 dollars on catgirl dress up.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Mymla posted:

Is this you?

Holy poo poo what is wrong with people :stonklol:

I buy a fantasia like once every 6 months or something, and I still feel kinda bad about doing so. I cannot imagine having that much disposable income to piss away on a catgirl simulator.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yes, character makeover is pretty cheap compared to e.g. ESO (25$?) and you also get one for free. And you don't have to buy it for funbux, which is great too.

The rest of the cash shop almost doesn't matter to me and I don't mind other people buying tacky crap for 18$, because I barely ever stop to notice other people's glamours.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

What the gently caress

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

WrightOfWay posted:

Love to spend $5000 dollars on catgirl dress up.

:yossame: tbh

Everything else aside, the 18 EBs really throws me. Do they just get divorced and EB over and over again? Do they have a bunch of alts? Do they have to redo that really long (though picturesque) quest chain with the Twelve every time?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Do they have to redo that really long (though picturesque) quest chain with the Twelve every time?

Yes, yes you do. Every single time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I feel like having 18 EBs goes against the very spirit of EBing.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Divorce rates in Eorzea are through the roof. I will begin a lucrative RP career as a divorce lawyer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Leveling up crafters feels like it's costing me more money than I'll reasonably make.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 9, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Leveling up crafters feels like it's costing me more money than I'll reasonably make.

Let me tell you about leveling desynthing

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Everything else aside, the 18 EBs really throws me. Do they just get divorced and EB over and over again?
I am guessing 'clients' paid for it.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Dwesa posted:

I am guessing 'clients' paid for it.

Every now and then I'll peer in at /xivg/ much like one would gawk at animals in a zoo, and I have reason to believe this is the case. I've seen plenty of people offer to pay for EBs if someone will just come over to their server and hang out with them. The absurd number of server transfers helps, too.

People be weird, yo.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I spent millions to get a foothold in 3* crafting this last patch to supply my FC with potions and food for Savage. I think I've barely broken even on gil all told even though selling extra strength infusions was like printing money.

Leveling is the cheap part.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like having 18 EBs goes against the very spirit of EBing.

Who are you to say they only have enough room in their heart to love one person seventeen people?

Maybe they just wanted to have a catwife on every server they've transferred to.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I still have the Fantasia you get from the MSQ or Grand Company or whatever it is, I will never use it

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Just do it all via beast tribes for free!!!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Finally. :argh:

Gally posted:

Just do it all via beast tribes for free!!!

Ixal EXP is trash, though. :(

I'm mainly just getting over the 30 - 50 hump with Levekits, and the rest will be Moogles and Namazu.

HenryEx posted:

Let me tell you about leveling desynthing

I know. One point at a time, with hundreds of points per class. And only the ones that are likely to fail give good amounts of points. :shepicide:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Congrats! Have fun getting down with the clown.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The best low-money method is to level all of the classes up simultaneously with provisioning turnins and Ixal/Moogle quests. Burn some pocket change to get them all up to 15 via Quick Synth, then pick one class (I'd recommend CUL, both due to SHII and provisioning turnins being loving rear end for them) to get up to 50 via Ixal quests. Once they get to 50, park them there and use Ixal quests to accelerate another one up to 50, and so on. Once they're all level 50, do the same thing but with Moogle quests.

The main reason I recommend doing this is because it saves you a lot of headaches in terms of provisioning. The hardest part of provisioning isn't actually crafting them (HQing becomes a breeze as soon as you can get every class to at least 25/30 for SHII/Tricks/WN1/Rumination), but getting the raw mats. What I did on a fresh character was to level up my gathering classes in tandem, gather/craft/purchase (from merchants) an absolute shitload of the most common mats for that tier (Aldgoat Leather, Iron Ingots, Brass Ingots, etc.) with a Company Manual for more EXP, and then stuff them in my saddlebags. This made it so that, with rare exceptions, all that my provisioning turnins required was for me to sit down, pull everything out of my saddlebags, and craft. If you level everything unevenly, you'll lose out on this opportunity and have to carry around a huge number of different level mats that takes up inventory space and becomes a headache to manage.

If you have the money to burn and want to level up fast, levekits are still hands down the fastest way, but you're going to run out of leves pretty quick if you're getting everything up to 70. If you're not just bringing up a single low level crafter, and are instead intent on getting everything to 70 from scratch, the slow, steady method of provisioning + Beast quests is the best bang for your buck.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 9, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Congrats! Have fun getting down with the clown.

I hope it's not as strenuous as Exdeath, but I have a gut feeling it will be. :negative:

Vermain posted:

The best low-money method is to level all of the classes up simultaneously with provisioning turnins and Ixal/Moogle quests. Burn some pocket change to get them all up to 15 via Quick Synth, then pick one class (I'd recommend CUL, both due to SHII and provisioning turnins being loving rear end for them) to get up to 50 via Ixal quests. Once they get to 50, park them there and use Ixal quests to accelerate another one up to 50, and so on. Once they're all level 50, do the same thing but with Moogle quests.

Oh, I'm a bit ahead of you on that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The real benefit of leveling up via Ixal quests is that you can unlock Snow White/Soot Black dyes and gain the world's steadiest (if unremarkable) income stream. It's a bit server dependent, but if you're willing to burn multiple MB listings, you can put up small quantities (3-4) to beat out the 99 stack shitheads and end up earning a fair bit. I log on in the morning, put about 10 listings of 3-4 each up, go about my day, and come back to a tidy 20-30k sitting in my retainers.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the website that makes these?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

the biggest profit from crafting is being a day 1 poopsocker that immediately gets gear/all the loving materia melded.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

What's the website that makes these?

It's the Ser Aymeric bot for Discord.

Vermain posted:

The real benefit of leveling up via Ixal quests is that you can unlock Snow White/Soot Black dyes and gain the world's steadiest (if unremarkable) income stream. It's a bit server dependent, but if you're willing to burn multiple MB listings, you can put up small quantities (3-4) to beat out the 99 stack shitheads and end up earning a fair bit. I log on in the morning, put about 10 listings of 3-4 each up, go about my day, and come back to a tidy 20-30k sitting in my retainers.

I'll have to try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I hope it's not as strenuous as Exdeath, but I have a gut feeling it will be. :negative:

From experience, both forms of Kefka are easier to learn then Exdeath. Though clown is very strict on not failing the mechanics. God has a tiny bit more leeway but going into any Forsaken with deaths is like 99% a wipe.