Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

HBS' battletech seems to have run with that.

Well, the MWO devs did share their assets with HBS. They're the same models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Got my first 2 heavies, Both Dragons..

I put on 2 MG's, 2 MLs and 2 SRM 6s for in your face brawls to the walls..

How you guys building these things?

I might be biased since they were pretty garbage in MWO, but I couldn't make them work in any kind of decent configuration. Same with the Quickdraw. There's some really garbage Heavy/Assault mechs in 3025 it seems. Without XL Engines, Endosteel and the like they just don't work very well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dravs posted:

I'm not sure if I'm bad at the game or going slow or something?

The difficulty only changes when you finish story missions - you can go as slow as you like. It's not down to you that it's suddenly super hard. It just occasionally happens.

I had a mission earlier that was 4 LRM carriers sat on a hill I couldn't reach that I just had to load out of and not pick up. There was nothing I could do to reach them. I've also had one where two lances of huge mechs appeared on a hill and I couldn't fight the sheer volume of them.
Both of them were two skulls. I'm not sure if it's broken or what but occasionally a mission is a SHITLOAD harder than it's meant to be.

In the same way I'll sometimes get a mission where "battle" consists of one smallish vehicle and a mech and then that's it. Even if it's 4 stars! Even if the game warns me I've not got enough tonnage for it. It's strange.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing like an alpha strike from a dragon to headshot and kill your SRM boat in the first salvo. Turned out into a fun match.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There's also a "defend the base" mission which I'm convinced is actually impossible to win. The base has actually zero defenses, not even walls, and the buildings aren't especially tough. The base gets attacked on at least three sides by at least three lances of mechs, one of which gets spawned within a walking movement of having line of sight to the entire base on the third turn. The victory condition is to last 10 turns. I've never lasted past turn 5 since the enemy mechs have no qualms about just ignoring yours and shooting the base buildings.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Taear posted:

The difficulty only changes when you finish story missions - you can go as slow as you like. It's not down to you that it's suddenly super hard. It just occasionally happens.

I had a mission earlier that was 4 LRM carriers sat on a hill I couldn't reach that I just had to load out of and not pick up. There was nothing I could do to reach them. I've also had one where two lances of huge mechs appeared on a hill and I couldn't fight the sheer volume of them.
Both of them were two skulls. I'm not sure if it's broken or what but occasionally a mission is a SHITLOAD harder than it's meant to be.

In the same way I'll sometimes get a mission where "battle" consists of one smallish vehicle and a mech and then that's it. Even if it's 4 stars! Even if the game warns me I've not got enough tonnage for it. It's strange.

Speaking of hills, I've seen it happen at least 3 times now where a mech (or vehicle) will spawn at the top of a hill and the AI bugs out completely and can't move from the top of the hill. They just sit up there spamming missiles if they have it but once you reach min range they just face the opposite direction and wait to die.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
whyyyyyy does this three skull mission throw three orions, two quickdraws, two catapults, a centurion and an awesome at my poor mixed heavy/medium lance

edit: oh and a second 80-tonner I couldn't even identify because it just threw missiles at me all game from out of visual range

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Flipswitch posted:

do mechs spawn based on locations at all? I've been trying to get a Grasshopper, or wanting to and can't find one at all.
It took me forever to get one. I salvaged three Orions and four Thunderbolts in the time I got one Jagermech and zero Grasshoppers or Cataphracts. I juuuust got a Grasshopper and its only because I got a lucky headcap on a mission where I got to pick three parts. I still have never seen a Cataphract :(

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Finally got a stalker, loaded it up with srms and med lasers, jump jets, max armor, and now it just jumps around melting enemies. Feels good. Just wish it could fit 1 more JJ.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

peer posted:

whyyyyyy does this three skull mission throw three orions, two quickdraws, two catapults, a centurion and an awesome at my poor mixed heavy/medium lance

edit: oh and a second 80-tonner I couldn't even identify because it just threw missiles at me all game from out of visual range

Probably the 2nd awesome variant.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

spaced ninja posted:

Speaking of hills, I've seen it happen at least 3 times now where a mech (or vehicle) will spawn at the top of a hill and the AI bugs out completely and can't move from the top of the hill. They just sit up there spamming missiles if they have it but once you reach min range they just face the opposite direction and wait to die.

In a similar thing I've been stuck on hills before, sometimes it's really unclear where you can walk down and I don't have any jump jets any more.
I guess the game just assumes you've always got them and it's not an issue. I mean I know that's my own fault but "realistically" why the hell put me on top of that hill when you drop me anyway?!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't be speaking bad about my Bro Clint. He's 40 tons of GonnaFuckYouUp with his AC/5 and medium lasers. :clint:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It took me forever to get one. I salvaged three Orions and four Thunderbolts in the time I got one Jagermech and zero Grasshoppers or Cataphracts. I juuuust got a Grasshopper and its only because I got a lucky headcap on a mission where I got to pick three parts. I still have never seen a Cataphract :(
The Cata was my first heavy, but I've not seen one since!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Well, the MWO devs did share their assets with HBS. They're the same models.

True but they probably didn't straight-up copy the rigging and animations. It's not an FPS anyway, there's room for more flexibility in the animation- they've already got melee in, which is a step up. Even their concept art shows the mechs as more flexible and human instead of the stiff-jointed machines in the game:

This

Vs This

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
... I really like that pre-alpha interface look.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Mechs should do a victory dance after they get a kill. Like, an Atlas should do a teabagging animation after a melee kill. Adds a bar of stability damage in exchange for a morale boost.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Spiders should do the Fortnite dance.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sandweed posted:

Spiders should do the Fortnite dance.

Dekker takes enough head injuries as it is

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Psion posted:

Dekker takes enough head injuries as it is

Post kill mech fist bump, cockpit explodes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Flipswitch posted:

do mechs spawn based on locations at all? I've been trying to get a Grasshopper, or wanting to and can't find one at all.

Grasshoppers just don't spawn in all that many lances. It's hard to say which contracts exactly will have them show up most often, but that's what it is based on- Contract and not planet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Flipswitch posted:

The Cata was my first heavy, but I've not seen one since!
I had completely forgot about Catapults because I have never seen one outside of the K2 that a story character enemy pilots.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Got my first 2 heavies, Both Dragons..

I put on 2 MG's, 2 MLs and 2 SRM 6s for in your face brawls to the walls..

How you guys building these things?
The Shadowhawk does everything the Dragon does, but goes a phase earlier.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I kinda want to rush the endgame now that I've dawdled a bit and then restart and see how far I can get with only Light or maybe Medium mechs.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The Shadowhawk does everything the Dragon does, but goes a phase earlier.

yeah, Shadowhawks are really long-lasting, they are great.

I'm looking at an upcoming plot mission where I know I need a fast mech to reach an objective in time, what's the fastest jump/sprint heavy - second, what's the fastest that isn't garbage? Otherwise I can probably pull a Wolverine or something out of storage, I think I have a couple of those left.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Psion posted:

I'm looking at an upcoming plot mission where I know I need a fast mech to reach an objective in time, what's the fastest jump/sprint heavy that isn't garbage? Otherwise I can probably pull a -2D out of storage.

The only fast heavies are the Quickdraw and Dragon, and, well...

(I pulled a firestarter out for that mission).

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Psion posted:

I'm looking at an upcoming plot mission where I know I need a fast mech to reach an objective in time, what's the fastest jump/sprint heavy - second, what's the fastest that isn't garbage? Otherwise I can probably pull a Wolverine or something out of storage, I think I have a couple of those left.

The Quickdraw runs pretty fast for a heavy, but is kinda garbage.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

The only fast heavies are the Quickdraw and Dragon, and, well...

(I pulled a firestarter out for that mission).

if only I could put more jump jets on a Highlander!

90 tons, of which 43 are jump jets. seems legit!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psion posted:

Psion posted:

:v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I mean, yeah, I did sort of answer my own question but I might've sold my last 2D for a low-grav pool.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

I kinda want to rush the endgame now that I've dawdled a bit and then restart and see how far I can get with only Light or maybe Medium mechs.

Beat the game with the starting lance :hellyeah:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Typical Pubbie posted:

Beat the game with the starting lance :hellyeah:
I may try this as a challenge one day. But probably not.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Grasshoppers just don't spawn in all that many lances. It's hard to say which contracts exactly will have them show up most often, but that's what it is based on- Contract and not planet.

This absolutely is random, I'm getting what feels like two Grasshoppers a mission at least. I have 3 in my hangar and that's without actively trying to salvage any of them, its just from picking up a piece or two every battle. Also, because I want three because the Grasshoppers keep getting damaged post-battle while my Highlander, Crab, and Stalker just keep trucking without any difficulty.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

This absolutely is random, I'm getting what feels like two Grasshoppers a mission at least. I have 3 in my hangar and that's without actively trying to salvage any of them, its just from picking up a piece or two every battle. Also, because I want three because the Grasshoppers keep getting damaged post-battle while my Highlander, Crab, and Stalker just keep trucking without any difficulty.
Heh, this is me and Thunderbolts. Previously me and Wolverines before random and arbitrary difficulty spike. I hope I start to see the missile Orions one day. Or Stalkers. Stalkers would be okay too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

if only my luck would be "face king crab in every battle"

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

After a while, when your merc company starts gaining a reputation, you should start running into customized 'mechs that are copies of your most successful builds

because like, other merc units are gonna start talking and realize that putting 4 SRM6s/4 ML on a Stalker isn't a HUGE refit and those other dudes are getting some crazy results out of it, soooo

Also, fighting pirates should result in a parade of hilarious(ly bad) junkyard customs with the odd stock Mech and like a 1% chance of that one rear end in a top hat pirate who won the lottery and found an SLDF relic on some backwater shithole showing up.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Psion posted:

piloting whatever-gets-you-20%-sprint is real nice. get a bunch of evasive stacks and also position yourself to AC/20 the entire enemy lance? don't mind if I do

This They get it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My first encounter with a King Crab it headcapped my PC and then was immediately headcapped back by Glitch. Two turns, two AC 20 shots, two dead mechs.

Good trade.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

my first encounter was a 2/x salvage mission where I headshot it and the selection criteria did not give me piece #3

moderately annoying

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My first Stalker encounter, I spent three called shots trying to pop it in the head and missed every one. Then a random long range AC10 shot from the side blasted it in the face.

I immediately loaded that stalker up with as many LRMs as I could fit and it's the funniest mech.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Eldragon posted:

Just for the sake of shitposting/theorycrafting Maybe some missions should have two lance drops. The "Main" drop as we know from the game now, and the "time restricted" drop.

The time restricted drop would be fought as a separate mission, and effectively be a "pre" mission that only lasts 5-10 rounds; where you have a small amount of time to achieve the objective. Doing so nets bonus payout. e.g. "You have 7 rounds to cross the map and destroy the artillery emplacement; we expect light resistance"

I think this is a loving sweet idea. The missions are already a bit limited in variance, so adding an entirely new element like this would increase that variance by a LOT, especially if you get creative with the pre-missions. "take out arty in less than 7 turns" is a great idea and there could be many more. Making recon/advanced special assault a real element in the mission structure would be rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
That's basically what Xcom 2 did with its mission structure and it worked really well.