Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nothing wrong with IANAL. Lets people know both that you aren't a lawyer and down for anal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pink over stink 4 lyfe yo.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/994274695565504514?s=19

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Woo nonproliferation!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Wow. Boris Johnson not looking and acting like an idiot for once.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
That's some lovely lemonade I think

https://twitter.com/NRATV/status/993959186860986368?s=19

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

That’s easily the worst acronym I’ve seen in a long time. And I was in the military for a long drat time.

People are using the :decorum" thing unironically in here, and that's your concern?

I mean, it's dumb, but...yeah

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

holy gently caress

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Jesus ain't coming back, but he might just show up for a Saudi-Iran-Israeli nuclear war.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Waroduce posted:

holy gently caress

It's not really big news. The Saudis have said they'd produce nuclear weapons if the Iranians do for a while now. This is pretty explicit though.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Duzzy Funlop posted:

People are using the :decorum" thing unironically in here, and that's your concern?

Shim perpetuates the stereotype that all black people are drug dealers or friends of dealers and also thought that Michael Flynn was a good guy so his judgement is suspect

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So this happened down the street from my future in-laws. Some guy held his wife captive over the weekend and then she got away from him yesterday. She ran to a neighbors, he followed her and then proceeded to shoot and kill the neighbor, her friend and a contractor working on the house. His wife got away.

Dude was apparently telling people he worked for a three letter agency and a bunch of other bullshit. I mean maybe he did but a ton of the poo poo he was saying sounds like Dan Bilzerian levels of bullshit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.544bd63ad3b4

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don’t have concerns about GiP anymore, I got fired from that job. I just think IANAL is hilariously bad.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

mods change my name posted:

Shim perpetuates the stereotype that all black people are drug dealers or friends of dealers and also thought that Michael Flynn was a good guy so his judgement is suspect

The Flynn he respected is not the same shitbird who partook in the current administration. I'm willing to give him a pass on it.

That said, nothing really matters anyways, shouldn't you guys be rolling a J about now?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I dont think you pin on a willingness to commit treason along with a certain rank and it takes someone rotten to the core to engage in it

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

dead reckoning i want an honest answer from you.

why do you think this article was written?
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/angela-merkel-donald-trump-democracy-freedom-of-press-a7556986.html
Why was it written? Because "Merkel is the leader of the free world" is a punchy title for an independent editorial and it's an appealing idea to leftists in a world where Trump is president. It's disconnected from reality though. Seven months after that article was written, Merkel's party lost 50+ seats in the Bundestag, mostly to Germany's own reactionary, far-right tea party equivalent. Merkel is busy trying to smooth out the tail of the European debt crisis and figure out how to resolve the contradictions in the Eurozone. Germany is the economic engine of western Europe, but it isn't a military or expeditionary power.

After GW Bush invaded Iraq against the will of the international community, there was a lot of similar rhetoric about America having elected an idiot who was squandering American standing, goodwill, and the America-centric international order. Much pontificating on a more multi polar world order being necessary.

And then we elected Obama, foreigners loved him, he got a Nobel Peace Prize for being Not Bush, and Russia & China started getting pushy with their neighbors.

Yes, Trump is a different and worse animal than W, and yes, he is doing damage to our international interests, but it isn't going to take a generation to fix. Other western leaders recognize that the dysfunction in American foreign policy is due to Trump, not due to some inherent flaw unique to the American system. (Partially because that is somewhat true, and partially because the left leaning technocratic governments of the world really need that to be the case.) For all the talk of creating a more multi-polar world, the only other realistic poles of power are Russia and China, and it turns out no one besides Russia, China, and a bunch of lovely 3rd world dictators really want that. If or when America elects another leftist in the vein of Obama who wants to re-engage with global institutions, the international community will welcome us back.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 9, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
LMAO Dead Reckoning seriously thinks the death of the US diplomatic corps is survivable and that we are not blowing our international reputation once and for all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why was it written? Because "Merkel is the leader of the free world" is a punchy title for an independent editorial and it's an appealing idea to leftists in a world where Trump is president. It's disconnected from reality though. Seven months after that article was written, Merkel's party lost 50+ seats in the Bundestag, mostly to Germany's own reactionary, far-right tea party equivalent. Merkel is busy trying to smooth out the tail of the European debt crisis and figure out how to resolve the contradictions in the Eurozone. Germany is the economic engine of western Europe, but it isn't a military or expeditionary power.

After GW Bush invaded Iraq against the will of the international community, there was a lot of similar rhetoric about America having elected an idiot who was squandering American standing, goodwill, and the America-centric international order. Much pontificating on a more multi polar world order being necessary.

And then we elected Obama, foreigners loved him, he got a Nobel Peace Prize for being Not Bush, and Russia & China started getting pushy with their neighbors.

Yes, Trump is a different and worse animal than W, and yes, he is doing damage to our international interests, but it isn't going to take a generation to fix. Other western leaders recognize that the dysfunction in American foreign policy is due to Trump, not due to some inherent flaw unique to the American system. (Partially because that is somewhat true, and partially because the left leaning technocratic governments of the world really need that to be the case.) For all the talk of creating a more multi-polar world, the only other realistic poles of power are Russia and China, and it turns out no one besides Russia, China, and a bunch of lovely 3rd world dictators really want that. If or when America elects another leftist in the vein of Obama who wants to re-engage with global institutions, the international community will welcome us back.

It's not like before Trump was president we had a congress that was openly saying to Iran that they would roll back the deal as soon as they got a chance. Toxic 2-party shenanigans are weakening us constantly. We've already seen that the entire system of appointments can be effectively overruled without consequence whenever the majority party decides they want to and we have seen that one party can force a government shutdown whenever they want to. That doesn't go away with a change in the presidency and it existed before the current one did.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Lmao this new Onion account

https://twitter.com/ResistanceHole/status/994234139053355008?s=19

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It's so on the nose too
https://resistancehole.clickhole.com/take-that-drumpf-lovers-a-research-team-at-mit-has-co-1825159269

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/FoxNewsInsider/status/994018362710634496

hahahahahahahhahahahaha omfg

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CommieGIR posted:

LMAO Dead Reckoning seriously thinks the death of the US diplomatic corps is survivable and that we are not blowing our international reputation once and for all.

Dead Reckoning is a simpleton who the gently caress cares what he thinks?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

CommieGIR posted:

The US survived the death of its diplomacy just fine last time it happened. The whole Iraq thing did not go over well with the rest of the world. And then Obama came along and a lot was okay again.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dance Officer posted:

The US survived the death of its diplomacy just fine last time it happened. The whole Iraq thing did not go over well with the rest of the world. And then Obama came along and a lot was okay again.

And then we elected an actual idiot because her emails racism economic anxiety and said idiot is destroying anything good done since W out of spite.

What nation in its right mind would take us seriously when we have a track record of collectively losing our minds and putting our worst people in charge?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

After GW Bush invaded Iraq against the will of the international community*, there was a lot of similar rhetoric about America having elected an idiot who was squandering American standing, goodwill, and the America-centric international order. Much pontificating on a more multi polar world order being necessary.

And then we elected Obama, foreigners loved him, he got a Nobel Peace Prize for being Not Bush**, and Russia & China started getting pushy with their neighbors.***

Yes, Trump is a different and worse animal than W, and yes, he is doing damage to our international interests, but it isn't going to take a generation to fix. Other western leaders recognize that the dysfunction in American foreign policy is due to Trump, not due to some inherent flaw unique to the American system.**** (Partially because that is somewhat true, and partially because the left leaning technocratic governments of the world really need that to be the case.) For all the talk of creating a more multi-polar world, the only other realistic poles of power are Russia and China, and it turns out no one besides Russia, China, and a bunch of lovely 3rd world dictators really want that. If or when America elects another leftist in the vein of Obama who wants to re-engage with global institutions, the international community will welcome us back.*****

While I agree with DR that if the US falls from primacy******, the current climate will likely be a symptom rather than the cause, I have bolded the parts that make me very :thunk:

*OIF: Not the most popular thing, but the US hardly went it alone in execution. UK, a bunch of NATO countries, and a few other countries jumped on board.
**Nobel Peace Prize: A political stunt, but Obama didn't get it for being Not-Bush. No way would have McCain got it for being Not-Bush. And I doubt Hillary would've got it for being Not-Bush.
***RU and China: Oh, that's when they started pushing people around? I guess if world history starts in January of 2009, that's an accurate statement!
****Trump vs. inherent US instability: I wouldn't be sure of this claim
*****Very possible, but also rather optimistic. Then again, This is basically Obama's current argument: Everyone's worrying too much, but don't be lazy

******Of course we'll fall from primacy some day; every great power does. It just might not be anytime soon and only tangentially related to current affairs.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Dead Reckoning is a simpleton who the gently caress cares what he thinks?

:allears:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I see DR is completely ignoring the Georgian-Russian war that took place in the summer of 2008. Oh and that whole Cold War thing. And China's continuous attempts to subvert Taiwan since the 1970s.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dance Officer posted:

The GWB era death of diplomacy was vastly overstated at the time, this situation is several orders of magnitude worse.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Jarmak posted:

The GWB era death of diplomacy was vastly overstated at the time, this situation is several orders of magnitude worse.

Bush didn't involve a gutting and wholesale dismantling of our diplomatic apparatus.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Bush government was just bad ideas, hubris, and regular old incompetence (and Don and Cheney). This Admin is actively malicious and actual mental disorder levels of incompetence.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

Nothing wrong with IANAL. Lets people know both that you aren't a lawyer and down for anal

So many uses. If you want to let someone know you'd like to gently caress them literally but not figuratively: IANAL.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Latino and moderate House Republicans are giving Ryan and the freedom caucus a middle finger and filed a discharge petition to bring a vote on immigration reform to protect DREAMers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c0bbade716fc

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dead Reckoning posted:

The point is, dude. People are seriously saying 'we can't rely on America anymore.' You have loving FRANCE now looking at bypassing the US economically and disregarding your sanctions. Your political capital is long since spent. If you seriously think electing Obama 2.0 is going to fix all of this, I dunno what to tell you. If - and it's looking like less of an if every day - you have the EU acting in open defiance of US sanctions, America is pretty much done as far as soft power goes. Sure, you still have the bigliest military, but once your economy starts to slide, well...

Oh why am I even bothering, you're dead reckoning.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I realise you are in the USA and aren't really aware of the rest of the world, but people are absolutely terrified of Trump, because no one has any idea what to expect from him. This is about as bad a position as anyone can expect from the world leader. Bush was bad and everyone hated him, but he was regular bad, not 'he might push the button just because he's having a tantrum.'

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Gonna lol when America Soviet Unions itself by spending all its dwindling money on the military til we collapse.

I don't see why electing an intelligent gay black woman who colonizes mars should move the needle with the rest of the world because "Oh thats nice but they'll probably elect the corpse of Ronald Reagan in 4 years." Why would anyone rely on this country to be a rational actor anymore?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Proceedural generation was a mistake for this reality.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

DoktorLoken posted:

Bush didn't involve a gutting and wholesale dismantling of our diplomatic apparatus.

Remember how, during the 2000s, it was painfully obvious that the gutting of centuries' worth of experience from the nation's intelligence services in the "Peace Dividend" cutbacks was biting us in the rear end?

We're doing the same thing to the diplomatic agencies. And the IC is still years from recovering from the 1990s.

This is not good, DR. It will take more than a generation to recover from, if it's even possible.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I realise you are in the USA and aren't really aware of the rest of the world, but people are absolutely terrified of Trump, because no one has any idea what to expect from him. This is about as bad a position as anyone can expect from the world leader. Bush was bad and everyone hated him, but he was regular bad, not 'he might push the button just because he's having a tantrum.'

Oh, I'm aware of it. I can't loving escape talking about that man in every country I visit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's also very hard to build good will in the next administration when all that's left in the state department is the janitor and the guy that was fired but still shows up on the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This should be fun.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/994328096462589952?s=19

• Locked thread