Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I couldn't find the Deathrattle icon. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You may have noticed that the result of his effect triggering is also the trigger for his effect, meaning he will continue attacking until either he's dead or there are no enemy minions left. This is intentional.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I wonder what ever happened to the Sir Bloodgut helmet, whether Nigel tossed that thing in the ocean to get it away or keeps it stashed away for an emergency where he needs Bloodgut to actually take charge.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Thinking more on theoretical WC3, Nigel and Bloodgut would basically be Sir Humphrey and Bernard for Thrall.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

You may note that this doesn't specify that it has to be your bloodgut. This is intentional.

Edit: Because I cannot help myself

NewMars fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 7, 2018

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Here is some Warcraft 2 fanart I did last month. Just like many people in this thread I spent hours and hours going through the lore and the drawings on each page of the instruction manual. It really grabbed my young imagination.

I could never beat the expansion as a kid. I don't think my brain was developed enough at the time. Looking forward to reading this thread in the weeks/months to come!

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Med School posted:

Here is some Warcraft 2 fanart I did last month. Just like many people in this thread I spent hours and hours going through the lore and the drawings on each page of the instruction manual. It really grabbed my young imagination.

I could never beat the expansion as a kid. I don't think my brain was developed enough at the time. Looking forward to reading this thread in the weeks/months to come!

HOLY HOT drat! That looks amazing! You have a serious talent!

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Also, I am LOVING the entries that are coming in for the contest. I figure this would be a good time to add an addendum to the contest, since I don't want to stop the creative juices from flowing.

Addendum: You may submit as many cards as you like, but only your top five will be judged. If you have more than five cards, just make a separate post stating which ones you'd like to be submitted. If you have cards that come as a part of a set (like one card that summons another), it will only be counted as one card. So go wild!

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Thanks Azzur! Yeah I am really busy but hopefully I can do some more before the thread is over with.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

This is my third card out of five, but so far this is probably my best one.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I can't see any of your uploads for some reason, Snark.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

THE BAR posted:

I can't see any of your uploads for some reason, Snark.

...So it turns out that I was an idiot and didn't actually use the permanent links for any of my cards, and that's probably why. Joy.

Right, going to have to redo all three of them.

Edit: And done! Hopefully you'll be able to see my brilliance for yourself now.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 7, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Whoop!

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Dr. Snark posted:

...So it turns out that I was an idiot and didn't actually use the permanent links for any of my cards, and that's probably why. Joy.

Right, going to have to redo all three of them.

I'd been religiously checking the thread and saving the links juuuuust in case this happened.

I gotchu guys.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Everyone's things are hilarious and great, and somehow I find the "Victory" card hilarious that it only requires 9 mana. Like, I guess you can use the 1 extra mana after you've already won. Why not, you've won, use a Bloodgut, go hog wild man!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 7, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The humans do not get enough love here.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

The humans do not get enough love here.

Agreed.

Oh, I guess I meant dwarves.

Doctor Syrup fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 7, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I appreciate that the deathrattle effect doesn't specify an enemy target.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

This is my first time using embedded images so I hope I haven't hosed something up, it showed up in the preview but I have no clue if it's going to break tables or something.

I wonder if it's a bit under costed, if you don't get the coin it's just a 2/1. It is a first turn 2/1 with charge however, maybe it should be 2 mana base?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Given that a 2-1 charge in the actual game is 2 mana, 2 sounds about right.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Kul Tiras: Charting a Course!

Lore for... Suppose They Gave a War and Only Nigel Came

Let me start this off by saying that most of this Lore update is going to be irrelevant after Battle For Azeroth comes out, but dammit we need to talk about Kul Tiras already.

Ah, the proud naval tradition of Kul Tiras. When the designers of Warcraft were fleshing out their amazing world, I don't think they knew it would ever get as big as it did. So it makes some sense that each nation was pretty much just given a placard that told you what sort of nation they were. Stromgarde? Those are the murder dudes. Alterac? Cowardly betrayers! Kul Tiras? Yeah, those are the guys with the boats. Oh, their king? Yes... he's... uuuhhh a pirate looking guy. It's been awhile, so I'm just going to paste the picture of the famous Alliance meeting from the Warcraft II manual.

Alright, it's settled. Six large pizza, half pepperoni, three large Cokes, three orders of wings, and a side salad. And for the last time, Aiden, we're not getting crazy bread.

Now, as you can probably guess, being the most massive naval power in a world means that you pretty much have the market cornered on mercantilism. Kul Tiras was a prosperous country before the Second War with nearly all imports and exports passing through their ports or riding along their ships (since they were located smack-dab in the middle of the major nations). So, the king, (seriously, he's a king, look it up) Daelin Proudmore, invested the money wisely: into cannons. Now at the time it might have seemed a little crazy. The guy spent all of this money outfitting his ships with massive weapons of war to ward off pirate attacks or the occasional murloc. However, all of that changed when the Horde invaded.

As soon as the orcs set a boat into the waters of The Great Sea, Proudmore suddenly starts putting all of his resources behind oil refineries to keep the Alliance well supplied with ships and weaponry for the Second War. He carefully hid these refineries back behind the front lines of the war in the town of Stratholme, probably assuming that the war would never reach that far back. Boy, was he wrong. Regardless, Proudmore gave the Alliance full control of his incredibly massive navies that he oversaw; thus earning him the title of Grand Admiral of the Alliance. ...Of course, the whole Second War thing did gently caress up those navies quite a bit. If you recall, it was pretty much smashed to smithereens, with the final climactic battle being a gritty battle on foot as the Alliance pushed the orcs back to the Dark Portal.

Oh, yeah, and his eldest son was murdered by dragons.

“Yes, Derek, I can see you. Yes, okay, stop waving now.”

Well, in hindsight, maybe sending the oil and gunpowder filled ships to fight dragons was a bad idea.

So you can imagine that King Grand Admiral "Dumbest Beard" Daelin Proudmore wasn't super happy about the outcome of the Second War. Sure, they had beat back the orcs, but he lost his country's fortune, his navy, and his heir. The one thing that he did pull out of the situation was a close connection with the Wildhammer dwarves who would later support him in various military campaigns (and using them to harass my peons while they mine!). So now, with the Second War six years in the past, Proudmore may be getting over his anger and frustration with the Horde and- Oh, they just burnt down his country. Whelp, I'm sure that's not going to have any long term effects of the Kingmiral's psyche.

As there's not much to pull from when it comes to Kul Tiras (as of Beyond the Dark Portal at least), I thought I'd tack on a little "Where Are We, And How Did We Get Here?" segment. Let's take a look at these lovely maps.

Man, it is super obvious that Blizzard wanted the orc campaign to just get out of Draenor ASAP. There's plenty of vague locations like, "Bonechewer Land" and "Place Where Steve Lives." But we started off working for Ner'zhul, who sent us up to the Laughing Skull to take the death knights away from Mogor. From there we met up with the Thunderlords and beat the snot out of the Bonechewers and claimed the Skull of Gul'dan. More accurately, Grom killed a dude and stole the skull, but whatevs. Then we turned around and killed the Thunderlords and the Bonechewers since they were... bloodthirsty murderers? This just feels like Metzen couldn't come up with a better story to justify this mission. But we did it. (Apparently we didn't shatter the clans or anything, just bloodied their noses, as we'll see more of them in the Human campaign.)

From there we reopened the Dark Portal and stepped into Azeroth. Because the humans are... actually smart (in the Warcraft universe?!) they built a keep to guard against exactly that happening. So we, of course, overran the place and left a token force behind. We headed up to Blackrock Mountain to negotiate with Rend Blackhand to secure some of the last dragons still under Horde control, but that went poorly. Instead, we managed to recruit some of Deathwing's black dragonflight that were safely hidden away. (It's a weird retcon, just roll with it, it's kind of minor compared to some other stuff we've seen/we will see.) From there, we used the black dragon flight to just absolutely gently caress up New Stormwind in hopes of finding the Book of Medivh. Unfortunately, it was missing! Also there was a dude with an Alterac dagger in his back nearby. So I guess Alterac has it? That makes sense. All of this makes sense.

So, take a look at that map once more. We still need to gather the Book of Medivh (Alterac), the Eye of Dalaran (Dalaran), and the Jeweled Scepter of Sargeras (Tomb of Sargeras). Which island is located right in between all of those? That's right: Kul Tiras. Rather than stretch the dwindling supplies all across Azeroth, we're setting up a base of operations in the ruins of Kul Tiras and launching three separate attacks. Woo! Let's do this!

Azzur fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 10, 2018

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I think the maps for games like this were always some of the best parts. They helped give an idea of a bigger world even if one hadn't really been designed yet.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact: At some point in the briefings of the last two missions, it's stated that Kul Tiras had left the Alliance, and no longer had the support of their armies. This was retconned in Chronicles, as they didn't actually leave the Alliance until after... certain events in Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne, while I'll put behind a spoiler tag.

Specifically, after Daelin's death in Rexxar's campaign - Kul Tiras was furious and wanted vengeance, but the rest of the Alliance weren't interested, and in fact had little sympathy for the Admiral, as he'd led a war of aggression on his own authority, presumably without consulting the rest of the Alliance. So Kul Tiras quietly left the Alliance, and focused their hatred on Jaina for having betrayed her father.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Fun fact: At some point in the briefings of the last two missions, it's stated that Kul Tiras had left the Alliance, and no longer had the support of their armies. This was retconned in Chronicles, as they didn't actually leave the Alliance until after... certain events in Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne, while I'll put behind a spoiler tag.

Specifically, after Daelin's death in Rexxar's campaign - Kul Tiras was furious and wanted vengeance, but the rest of the Alliance weren't interested, and in fact had little sympathy for the Admiral, as he'd led a war of aggression on his own authority, presumably without consulting the rest of the Alliance. So Kul Tiras quietly left the Alliance, and focused their hatred on Jaina for having betrayed her father.

The upcoming expansion for WoW is partially set in Kul Tiras, so they're getting a whole lot more detailed. They're now totally not Ireland, just more successful, and had shamans, druids, and problems with the Tuatha de Danaan.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

This will become espcially stupid when Kul Tiras shows back up alongside other Alliance forces before the campaign is over.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

McTimmy posted:

This will become espcially stupid when Kul Tiras shows back up alongside other Alliance forces before the campaign is over.

Well, after having their capital burnt to the ground by Nigel & Crew, I could see how any not-at-home Kul Tiras troops might decide to spontaneously join with the Alliance nations for some revenge. It's not something that it's completely impossible to justify.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Okay. Okay. Where the hell did all of this story come from? All of this seems too involved to have come from just Warcraft II. Is this WoW retcon?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I think Warcraft 3 and WoW. IIRC Jaina's dad features in one of the campaigns in WC3

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Some is Warcraft 3 retcon, rest is World of Warcraft though. Some retcons are still forthcoming!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

painedforever posted:

Okay. Okay. Where the hell did all of this story come from? All of this seems too involved to have come from just Warcraft II. Is this WoW retcon?

Sum Mors posted:

Some is Warcraft 3 retcon, rest is World of Warcraft though. Some retcons are still forthcoming!

I think it says something that we have to specify which retcons we're working with when it comes to this series.

Speaking of which, that's inspired another Hearthstone card:

Why yes, you can in fact retcon the Retcon card. I think you'll find that's actually a quite fitting effect.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I can't wait to find out Daelin never died!

Or maybe he somehow got turned into a death knight, or a lightborn or who knows what the hell else!

Or maybe he's been working with the new Lich King holding back some GREAT THREAT while you've been messing around in outer space!

None of the above are actual spoilers, just speculation on what Blizzard can and will do.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Yo, what the gently caress? Is that where Kul Tiras is supposed to be? Okay let's check this poo poo.

Here's a Warcraft 3 era map. I think this one is actually from the manu--Okay this is the same one I quoted but without Azzur's scribbles on it.

Here's a World of Warcraft era map. Specifically before Deathwing hosed it all up, and before all that extra poo poo, back when it was Warcraft 3 But It's An MMO, so there's nothing to justify an entire island just vanishing.

where the gently caress did kul tiras go

it should be right here where did it go

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 10, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
I welcome you all to the various conversations that I have with the mirror when trying to write even these bare bones, super short Lore entries. Retcons on retcons, missing islands, people who die in the Warcraft 2 but survive until WoW. When I started this up again, I floated the idea of skipping Lore just to save myself the headache. But also... what is Warcraft if not a series of migranes when it comes to discussing continuity? I must deliver the full experience!

Speaking of which, we'll be having some MOT3K this weekend and a quickie Miscellaneous update next week. I'm gonna go slam my head against some BtDP missions. And drink.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Azzur posted:

I welcome you all to the various conversations that I have with the mirror when trying to write even these bare bones, super short Lore entries. Retcons on retcons, missing islands, people who die in the Warcraft 2 but survive until WoW. When I started this up again, I floated the idea of skipping Lore just to save myself the headache. But also... what is Warcraft if not a series of migranes when it comes to discussing continuity? I must deliver the full experience!

Say what you will about talking to a mirror, but at least your reflection has its backstory straight :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

where the gently caress did kul tiras go

it should be right here where did it go

Nigel forgot to feed Vilefeast before they left the ruins of Kul Tiras and he got a bit upset, that's all.

I think the ultimate retcon twist would be if someone at Blizzard decided to adopt part of this LP to explain something they were having trouble retconning believably on their own.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
That's still a Warcraft 2 map. The War3 map didn't show the middle and bottom parts of the Eastern Kingdoms.

That is a past-Deathwing map. In that WoW map, those islands to the west of Gilneas? Those are Tol Barad, which is now two islands. Neither of which was in vanilla wow.

Kul Tiras is actually showing back up for BFA, and the most recent beta update finally put in on the map, way in open waters and with a location that some of the continent paths would sail right through in the past. And frankly with how huge it now is it simply wouldn't fit in the gulf there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

PurpleXVI posted:

I think the ultimate retcon twist would be if someone at Blizzard decided to adopt part of this LP to explain something they were having trouble retconning believably on their own.

I still think Blizzard was taking notes with every plot hole I pointed out in the first two LPs because those suckers got retconned by the time I started this up again. Just reach out to me already, Blizzard. I can totally interview you with great questions like, "How much coke did you need to write the story for Warcraft 2?" or "Whose bright idea was it to make the BtDP campaigns to match up, but only... sort of?"