Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sekenr posted:

And this expansion's plot was more of the same. I drunkenly preordered the deluxe edition a year ago so I had the season pass and checked this out, but I'm not buying anything destiny again.

Hey now, 2’s plot did confirm something long suspected: that the people of Earth were not entirely trusting of the undead murder-zombies shooting things for purple hexagons living up in their wall.

In D1 the player was part of a cabal of resurrected soldiers who sat at the top of a tower overlooking a city and never meeting anyone from the ground and being all high and mighty when they weren’t slaughtering alien humanoids for sport and trophies. Now we know normal people weren’t cool with that. Progress!

What I’m getting at is Destiny’s player-focused story is always trash. The parts of the universe people like have to do with mythological events the player never sees in-game, and guardians make as much sense as World of Warcraft’s PC “adventurers”, who have often been termed ‘murder-hobos’ given how players, in context of lore, are nameless freaks who keep killing off important figures of the world.

Taken King’s introductory cinematic even has the Ghost repeat Cortana’s “they let me choose any Spartan I wanted” speech, beat for beat. Because Bungie only knows how to write one type of conversational partner AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
new snipers feel hella crispy. havent busted out darci in pvp yet but it should be niceee.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Craptacular! posted:

Hey now, 2’s plot did confirm something long suspected: that the people of Earth were not entirely trusting of the undead murder-zombies shooting things for purple hexagons living up in their wall.

In D1 the player was part of a cabal of resurrected soldiers who sat at the top of a tower overlooking a city and never meeting anyone from the ground and being all high and mighty when they weren’t slaughtering alien humanoids for sport and trophies. Now we know normal people weren’t cool with that. Progress!

What I’m getting at is Destiny’s player-focused story is always trash. The parts of the universe people like have to do with mythological events the player never sees in-game, and guardians make as much sense as World of Warcraft’s PC “adventurers”, who have often been termed ‘murder-hobos’ given how players, in context of lore, are nameless freaks who keep killing off important figures of the world.

Taken King’s introductory cinematic even has the Ghost repeat Cortana’s “they let me choose any Spartan I wanted” speech, beat for beat. Because Bungie only knows how to write one type of conversational partner AI.

Yeah, but it doesn't make any sense that they don't like/trust them. Humanity has been devistated to the point where there's only one city left and everything outside the walls is full of aliens who will kill you on sight. Who is actually pissed off that there are a bunch of quasi-immortal space wizards willing and able to fend off these things when clearly there aren't enough normal humans left to stand a chance against the fallen?

Also, why are the guardians so struck by their sudden mortality when they could and did die all the time in D1? Ref: the guardian on the moon, every darkness zone.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Request sent to join [TIME] 2 Chill 2 Serious

In as Kevlar

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Craptacular! posted:

your evidence for this is, what, hawthorne?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ItBreathes posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't make any sense that they don't like/trust them. Humanity has been devistated to the point where there's only one city left and everything outside the walls is full of aliens who will kill you on sight. Who is actually pissed off that there are a bunch of quasi-immortal space wizards willing and able to fend off these things when clearly there aren't enough normal humans left to stand a chance against the fallen?

Well first of all the space wizards keep jumping off the wall and splatting on the city below, that's gotta be annoying.

Really, though, the EDZ people aren't from The Last City; they're just a bunch of survivalist freakshows who have managed to pull it together in the wilderness. "Is there even anyone in The Last City anymore" has been a dumb question for years.

Legs Benedict posted:

your evidence for this is, what, hawthorne?

Aren't there a bunch of people that are skeptical of the Traveler? Jalal is just weird about it because it's the thing that's keeping him alive.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I swear in D1 the guardians chilled with the populace, but were treated with some degree of both reverence and apprehension due to their insane powers and stupid poo poo they got into all the time

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Craptacular! posted:

It never made any sense for them to try to make the PC feel like a lone Master Chief-esque badass when there's thousands of other people out there doing the same poo poo. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too between being one of many guardians and being this super special unique hero and it loving fails on both counts, especially in 2 where Ghost does all the talking and your character is just a mute loser.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Destiny has always had a bad story and locking important information behind a grinding meta game doesn’t make it good. Plus said information cannot be read ingame. If Destiny had a good story and the Grimoire was supplemental material I would be okay with that.

I’m not mad that Xol is a chump because you never actually see him doing worm god things in Destiny 1.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Anyone doing the Exotic questline for Mars beware. There is a bug on the 5 Heroic Strike portion where it will just not count a finished Heroic strike for the quest. No rhyme or reason so far. Some said it's because of Boons but I have had it not count either way. I have had 3 in a row just not count.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I got a Crimson catalyst and a gun that heals you, refills it's chamber and generates orbs is pretty sweet.

Are catalysts pure RNG? Does every exotic have one?

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

just realized this came out yesterday and patched

got in and DIM doesn't work, i was reunited with the concept of not being able to manage inventory in game

then i thought about the new not-raid, i was reunited with the concept of not being able to find people to group with in game

then i read about the PS4 exclusive strike, i was reunited with the concept of the game existing as a serialized slot machine experience like a simpsons scratch-off lottery ticket

then i saw DESTINY 2 COMET and remembered the lawsuit that unsealed the roadmap for the expansions and 2 sequels that will be absolutely the loving same, and i uninstalled before getting to mars

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

HATECUBE posted:

just realized this came out yesterday and patched

got in and DIM doesn't work, i was reunited with the concept of not being able to manage inventory in game

then i thought about the new not-raid, i was reunited with the concept of not being able to find people to group with in game

then i read about the PS4 exclusive strike, i was reunited with the concept of the game existing as a serialized slot machine experience like a simpsons scratch-off lottery ticket

then i saw DESTINY 2 COMET and remembered the lawsuit that unsealed the roadmap for the expansions and 2 sequels that will be absolutely the loving same, and i uninstalled before getting to mars

cool thanks

i like your prose when's your first novel coming out

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i hate all of you for lying about this experience being worth something

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Destiny 2 is heckin bad

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Maybe the real gameplay is the friends we made along the way

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I got all the guns from Venus when it launched. Do I spend a few hours to get all the guns from Mars?

Do I even need to play this game with other people?

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Hotdog crew should meet up for some crucible tonight

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Let’s do it. I’ll pop on late tonight.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Let’s do it. I’ll pop on late tonight.

dontbelievehislies.jpg

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mill Village posted:

Destiny has always had a bad story and locking important information behind a grinding meta game doesn’t make it good. Plus said information cannot be read ingame. If Destiny had a good story and the Grimoire was supplemental material I would be okay with that.

I think their goal should be something like Overwatch: Go read these comics or these novels to understand the tragic godzilla you just gunned down for three hours in the game. We're keeping the information in our game client down to "get together with some friends and go on some sci-fi adventures with minimal context."

That way, people who like lore can have their lore, people who would rather hear grenades than NPC chatter don't have to worry about cringey acting and bad dialogue. Worked well enough in TTK, which was also when your guardian became a mute.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

quote:

"A word of advice if you haven’t played through the story and are reading this spoiler-loaded piece: DO NOT SKIP THROUGH THE VENDOR INTERACTION WITH ANA RIGHT AFTER THE LOUD ROAR CUTSCENE. That’s right: The entire explanation (which isn’t much of an explanation) of the final boss in Warmind, is told to you as you’re choosing your reward weapon in a completely normal vendor interaction with Ana."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Craptacular! posted:

I think their goal should be something like Overwatch: Go read these comics or these novels to understand the tragic godzilla you just gunned down for three hours in the game. We're keeping the information in our game client down to "get together with some friends and go on some sci-fi adventures with minimal context."

That way, people who like lore can have their lore, people who would rather hear grenades than NPC chatter don't have to worry about cringey acting and bad dialogue. Worked well enough in TTK, which was also when your guardian became a mute.

I mean that was essentially what the grimoire did but everyone complained about it. :shrug:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DrNutt posted:

I mean that was essentially what the grimoire did but everyone complained about it. :shrug:

Yes I know it's like Reddit is frequently wrong.

Right now they believe I don't want logical gun loadouts I want RANDOMIZATION like these ghosts and bikes I refuse to spend bright dust on because I won't know what they'll come with.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

jerry seinfel posted:

Maybe the real gameplay is the friends we made along the way

thats a drat good Av

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
can't wait for weapon randomization to be back in the game so my house, powered by the tears of huge idiots, can run for literally years

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Im trying to think what the new mode for this fall will be that is supposed to get ppl hyped at this point I can't think of anything. Is it a random dungeon generator?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tokubetsu posted:

Im trying to think what the new mode for this fall will be that is supposed to get ppl hyped at this point I can't think of anything. Is it a random dungeon generator?

zombie battle royale mode

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
a SECOND person shooter where everybody controls the player to their right

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
no one responded to me in chat so I applied to HOTDOG
Frozyme#1407

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

zombie battle royale mode

if its anything less than space combat im still gonna be disappointed i think

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

can't wait for weapon randomization to be back in the game so my house, powered by the tears of huge idiots, can run for literally years

Yeah what's the big deal just click heads with Graviton

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

a SECOND person shooter where everybody controls the player to their right

i mean, y es

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Tokubetsu posted:

theyre gonna finally include the cancelled dance studio from world of warcraft

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's just going to be the return of sparrow racing

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Me, a complete goddamn idiot apparently: Gosh, I'm not 350 yet. I hope I'll be okay in Heroic strikes

Captainweedo, an intellectual: Actually I'm already 350 and have run everything like three times

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My Powerful Rewards gave me Gloves, Gloves, Gloves, Sword, Sniper so I guess I'll be doing my Heroics at 345 :thumbsup:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the entire system would be mostly fine if it would calculate upgrades per slot and not based on your overall power level, but yeah last season it took me like six weeks to finally get a pair of loving boots and it was such a drop on my overall light level it was keeping other drops from being useful

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the entire system would be mostly fine if it would calculate upgrades per slot and not based on your overall power level, but yeah last season it took me like six weeks to finally get a pair of loving boots and it was such a drop on my overall light level it was keeping other drops from being useful

Lol, my Warlock was 335 in every slot and 328 on my Bond from January through... currently

Had to have picked up 20+ Powerful Rewards and never once got that fuckin' bond

Luckily LL didn't matter back then. It'd really suck now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Geonetix, I updated the Euro clan in the OP for you. Mind saying a few words so the new/old Euro players know what to do?

Gonna go Red Faction myself on Mars now.

• Locked thread