Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

from briefly looking at bazel, they don't have builtin support for publishing ur jars to a maven repo, so i guess you'd be invoking mvn or similar to do that part anyway

at that point may as well just use mvn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i want something that downloads a jar and its transitive dependencies to a flat directory from a maven repo

anybody know a thing that does that?

the answer to the answer to this question with just maven is "did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?"

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
maven does that and the directory is ~/.m2 hth

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
except for the "flat" part but ok yes cool

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Progressive JPEG posted:

from briefly looking at bazel, they don't have builtin support for publishing ur jars to a maven repo, so i guess you'd be invoking mvn or similar to do that part anyway

at that point may as well just use mvn

yeah if the plan is to publish the library for other people to use you should still have a pom.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sapozhnik posted:

i want something that downloads a jar and its transitive dependencies to a flat directory from a maven repo

the answer to the answer to this question with just maven is "did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?"

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7908090/downloading-all-maven-dependencies-to-a-directory-not-in-repository

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it’s also pretty easy to make a fat jar which is even flatter, does that work?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sapozhnik posted:

i think you could probably trivially wrap aether to do this.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

Why are build tools so divisive? Just like this Maven slapfight, the largest source of conflict and bad blood in the Haskell community is disagreement over whether to use cabal (the incumbent tool) or stack (the newer tool). They use the same package definition formats and such, so it's not like the difference is all that large. If you are particularly partisan about a build tool, do you get invited to cool parties or something? Do they send you a cheque in the mail?

it's not maven vs some other tool, it's maven vs literally everything that failed to understand the problem maven solved. all the alternatives have made the same mistakes, over and over

maven is laser-focused on making the build into a document. every project is parsed the same way by every tool that integrates with maven. there is no code in your build, at all, ever.

all build-related things with maven are either

1. part of the document
or
2. a versioned plugin retrieved from a central repository

so, so, so, so many people have looked at maven said, "gently caress i hate xml," and then thrown the baby out with the bathwater, missing maven's key idea entirely

getting rid of xml: ok whatever. forcing me to compile and execute new code on the spot in order to build my existing java code: not cool, guys, not cool at all

it's the xzibit problem: we heard you like code, so we added code to your build so you can code while you build your code

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 10, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if i wanted to write a script in order to build my software i would just use makefiles, gently caress

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

developer a: this is a 2 million loc monolith with convoluted build scripts gently caress me why did someone write a program to build a program
developer b: typing 'apply xplugin' is way easier than whatever xml bullshit maven wants me to do for his dead simple microservice

ive literally got 69 microservices i need to wrangle, so i tend to be pragmatic about things that just build my poo poo as easy as possible, but in the spirit of this discussion, im going to implement #70 with maven to see how it feels (and confuse the hell out of my peers)

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol simple poo poo is even easier with maven than other things

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
being scared of xml and being scared of declarative builds are two symptoms of the same underlying condition of being a junior programmer. its a lack of experience and an over-estimation of both personal skills and the skills of other junior devs.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
see how nbsd keeps falling into the same ideological trap, that as long as code that does the build things is wrapped in a plugin and masked behind xml he can pretend that it is something other than code. there is no material benefit at all, only an ideological one for those who need it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

leftist heap posted:

lol simple poo poo is even easier with maven than other things

often a maven project definition is like five lines

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

see how nbsd keeps falling into the same ideological trap, that as long as code that does the build things is wrapped in a plugin and masked behind xml he can pretend that it is something other than code. there is no material benefit at all, only an ideological one for those who need it

it is true that you could write a maven plugin so bad that its configuration was code. that could be done, if you were sufficiently stupid or malevolent

that does not excuse build systems that make code into the default choice, or worse, the only option

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is true that you could write a maven plugin so bad that its configuration was code. that could be done, if you were sufficiently stupid or malevolent
this isn't at all what i said, and besides antrun already exists

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

the benefits are separation of concerns and reusability. If you don't understand why those are valuable you probably aren't writing good code in your applications, let alone your builds.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Do you use maven to build rpms?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

this isn't at all what i said, and besides antrun already exists

antrun exists because everyone already knows ant is bad and wants to escape it

(otherwise they would just port ant features to maven and re-enter the trap of xml-as-code)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TimWinter posted:

Do you use maven to build rpms?

i have done, in the past

it's really easy to do because, sadly, rpm requires its own horrible special snowflake script to do the packaging. so you really just call out to rpmbuild and then retrieve an artifact.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
thermo's probably gonna probate me if i keep replying so

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

working with nuget the first time the last couple of months was great until i had an issue with it and it sucked. welp, thanks for reading.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
writing code for builds is really bad and never goes well. maven isn't perfect but damned if it doesn't discourage snowflakes super hard.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
god drat it why does python setuptools suck DICK at building Haskell code this build system is SUCH A PIECE OF poo poo!!!

Rust crates can't even unit test my Java code what the gently caress worst build system ever

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
would someone please ban all the java users goddamnit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

thermo's probably gonna probate me if i keep replying so

i didn't know brazen stupidity was a probateable offense

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Shaggar posted:

being scared of xml and being scared of declarative builds are two symptoms of the same underlying condition of being a junior programmer. its a lack of experience and an over-estimation of both personal skills and the skills of other junior devs.

gradle is also declarative, and xml isnt great by any means. ive done the tour of duty with oci/ariba integrations and giant xslts for publishing news stories so im more tired of it than scared. the argument seems to be that maven prevents you from doing stupid poo poo, but you can also do that by not doing stupid poo poo and not working with people that do stupid poo poo.

this topic seems to be on systemd/initd scale, so ill shutup, do a few builds with it and keep the last two pages in mind. thanks for the input.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am almost done converting our 20+ scala microservices from multi-repo with SBT to monorepo with bazel and bazel has been pure joy to work with compared to sbt.

bazel: better than sbt.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 10, 2018

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Helicity posted:

you can also do that by not doing stupid poo poo and not working with people that do stupid poo poo.

this doesn't work

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

brap posted:

this doesn't work

dont say that ive got a good thing going for the last 9 months or so :smith:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

brap posted:

this doesn't work

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the mostly declarative build tool I help maintain has beaten a 7,000+ lines makefile touted as a build tool in the market. welp that's my story.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not maven vs some other tool, it's maven vs literally everything that failed to understand the problem maven solved. all the alternatives have made the same mistakes, over and over

maven is laser-focused on making the build into a document. every project is parsed the same way by every tool that integrates with maven. there is no code in your build, at all, ever.

all build-related things with maven are either

1. part of the document
or
2. a versioned plugin retrieved from a central repository

so, so, so, so many people have looked at maven said, "gently caress i hate xml," and then thrown the baby out with the bathwater, missing maven's key idea entirely

getting rid of xml: ok whatever. forcing me to compile and execute new code on the spot in order to build my existing java code: not cool, guys, not cool at all

it's the xzibit problem: we heard you like code, so we added code to your build so you can code while you build your code

You know what other build system uses declarative xml project files? msbuild.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
msbuild is procedural and the procedures are defined in xml and libraries.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
https://medium.com/@ageitgey/learn-how-to-use-static-type-checking-in-python-3-6-in-10-minutes-12c86d72677b

Hooray types!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

quote:

If you show your typed Python code to another Python developer, there’s a good chance they will think you are crazy and not even believe that the syntax is valid.

that's the best reason to use type annotations...it's great fun

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Shaggar posted:

msbuild is procedural and the procedures are defined in xml and libraries.

There is code that processes the declarative project files, sure.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
itt: maven it hurts when I try to shove my moronic square peg process into this round hole

maven: don't do that and follow the rules, rear end in a top hat

go use grade and repeat the mistakes of ant if you can't embrace the goodness that is a nice pom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Malcolm XML posted:

itt: maven it hurts when I try to shove my moronic square peg process into this round hole

maven: don't do that and follow the rules, rear end in a top hat

go use grade and repeat the mistakes of ant if you can't embrace the goodness that is a nice pom

nice username/post combo