Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
After all these years I somehow earned gift packages that included a couple of horses so I haven't had to buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So will someone create a Second Age bow for me if I can scrounge the mats? I'm not in the kin...don't know if that's against the rules.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Alter Ego posted:

So will someone create a Second Age bow for me if I can scrounge the mats? I'm not in the kin...don't know if that's against the rules.

Sure which level? Post your name and I'll be on for an hour or tomorrow works too

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Well between exchanging skirmish marks and grinding deeds I got the ~900 tp I needed for Mordor. The mobs are quite a bit harder, aren't they? I kind of like it- I've been used to smashing enemies from my warhorse for a while now, so it's a good change.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Starting to remember how to play my lowbie warden. Normally I avoid classes like this but I enjoy the weird combination of offensive and defensive options. I need to learn a couple more gambits but that's only for tougher bad guys.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Okay, I want to check out the goon island. If someone could invite me to the guild my name is 'Ashtonkutcherborn', or should I just message everyone in the OP asking for an invite?

Thank you for the advice glass of milk, and everyone else. Gonna do at least a month of VIP based on recommendations.

How is the end-game and PVP in this? Does PVP get stale? Which classes are best for pvp or are all of them viable?

Also, is there anything I'm gonna regret skipping for this anniversary quest thing?

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 6, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

extra stout posted:

Sure which level? Post your name and I'll be on for an hour or tomorrow works too

A 65, I think. Not going to use it for a bit but I wanna have it when I reach that point.

My guy is Ursiel, by the way. Thanks!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

baby delivery truck posted:

Okay, I want to check out the goon island. If someone could invite me to the guild my name is 'Ashtonkutcherborn', or should I just message everyone in the OP asking for an invite?

I jumped into Discord (link in the OP) and got an invite quickly that way, as I kept missing the people in the OP.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

How is the end-game and PVP in this? Does PVP get stale? Which classes are best for pvp or are all of them viable?

LOL if you're in this for PVP you're gonna be disappointed.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

LOL if you're in this for PVP you're gonna be disappointed.

Nope, chose lotro because I like the setting and story, there seems to be tons of content, and it's a really relaxed game so far. Just curious about the pvp

The Locator posted:

I jumped into Discord (link in the OP) and got an invite quickly that way, as I kept missing the people in the OP.

Thank you ill try that, honestly never used discord before though

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thank you ill try that, honestly never used discord before though

Click the link, it launches in your browser and you ask (in text chat) if anyone is on that can invite.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

Nope, chose lotro because I like the setting and story, there seems to be tons of content, and it's a really relaxed game so far. Just curious about the pvp

There is no PvP in the usual sense. There's Player vs. Monster or "Monster Play" and from what I can tell, it hasn't been updated in years and not many people play it. There is a small dedication though and I think some people organize events every once in a while.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
you can hang around challenging randos to spar if you want

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
PvMP is weird. I think everyone can play as a basic orc but you need to buy session tokens to play as your character unless you're subscribed.

It's been years since I played it, though.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Alter Ego posted:

A 65, I think. Not going to use it for a bit but I wanna have it when I reach that point.

My guy is Ursiel, by the way. Thanks!

I've got you on friends but wasn't home today and missed you, let me know if there's a good time or I'll just bump into you sooner or later

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

extra stout posted:

I've got you on friends but wasn't home today and missed you, let me know if there's a good time or I'll just bump into you sooner or later

I'm usually on each night after 7 EST or so. Been trying to march my hunter to 115 and I'm getting down to the end of Moria finally.

Still need the legendary fragments; have a bid in the AH for some.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I have a million billion. How many do you need?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

I have a million billion. How many do you need?

that isn't a real number sir :colbert:

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
You are wrong : 1,000,000,000,000,000
That is a million billion. It's also a billion million

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

AskYourself posted:

You are wrong : 1,000,000,000,000,000
That is a million billion. It's also a billion million

I'm pretty sure that would occupy every slot in six bags, as well as every slot in a fully expanded storage vault.

I call shenanigans.

Serious answer: for this I think it's just 5. I'm a forester and a woodworker so I can make the rest of the mats needed. I'm unsure if I should hold out until 75 instead of 65 though.

E: 75 it is. I have all the materials except the birch wood...is there any chance anyone could spare some?

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 7, 2018

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I've been having so much fun with the instruments in this game, I had been messing around with them all day. There were tons of songs that I couldn't find .abc's for but there's a midi>abc converter (requires a little editing) already even! (how was zeppelin's misty mountain hop not converted already?!) People run up and clap for me and it makes me feel good, including a fellow goon who applauded my louie louie on a horn

Is there a way to unlock access to all the instruments or should I just roll a minstrel for jamming out? Do different quality instruments sound different?

E: Is there any way to multibox in LOTRO, just to get a band going? lol

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 8, 2018

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Alter Ego posted:

I'm pretty sure that would occupy every slot in six bags, as well as every slot in a fully expanded storage vault.

I call shenanigans.

Serious answer: for this I think it's just 5. I'm a forester and a woodworker so I can make the rest of the mats needed. I'm unsure if I should hold out until 75 instead of 65 though.

E: 75 it is. I have all the materials except the birch wood...is there any chance anyone could spare some?

I’m currently running through Great River on my main so I can grab a bunch, how much you need? Want me to just mail it to Ursiel?

I've been having so much fun with the instruments in this game, I had been messing around with them all day. There were tons of songs that I couldn't find .abc's for but there's a midi>abc converter (requires a little editing) already even! (how was zeppelin's misty mountain hop not converted already?!) People run up and clap for me and it makes me feel good, including a fellow goon who applauded my louie louie on a horn

You’re quite welcome for that, always like to say hi on the rare occasions I spot a guildmate’s name in blue ;) . Need to work more on my own conversions, was trying to get a set of Undertale tunes to play in Moria.

quote:

Is there a way to unlock access to all the instruments or should I just roll a minstrel for jamming out? Do different quality instruments sound different?

Minstrels have the ability to teach the ability to play other instruments, either in person or by scribing a book that can be traded. They can only do one at a time and there’s a multi-day cooldown between each lesson (which I think is something like 10 days if you do the book thing instead of teaching in person). Archie has been mentoring people when his minstrel’s cooldown is up and my mini Bebalma can do the same though she doesn’t know all the instruments (drat them putting harp mentoring behind Esteldin rep and a bunch of the rest being level gated...). They also occasionally sell the books on AH, though tend to be several gold. Naturally minstrels do start with all instrument skills themselves.

And you actually can multibox in LOTRO, see several people do it though I think most common reason is to make your own solo kinship (though I expect “own band” is also up there as a reason). Kinda funny seeing a gaggle of PCs following a single one around in perfect unison. There are a lot of multi person bands and even some music dedicated kinships out there though, player music is a big thing in LOTRO. Definitely get the Songbook plugin if you somehow haven’t already, drat near required if you ever play in a band. There’s one music specific message board at http://s1.zetaboards.com/Songbook_of_Laurelin/index/ you can check out, they have a bunch of guides and various abc files available.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Whoever just sent me the legendary fragments, you're awesome. Keep being awesome. :allears:

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Info about music

No I didn't know any of this stuff, I'll grab that plugin right now, thanks so much for the info

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Alter Ego posted:

Whoever just sent me the legendary fragments, you're awesome. Keep being awesome. :allears:

You're welcome. It turns out you were right; 96 is not a million billion.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Never did it myself but most multiboxers are bands in Bree, sometimes a guy leveling three alts and least commonly gold farmers. The music system owns, I've still never done ABCs or any of the plugins for it but I pull out a lute and poorly play normally

edit

Woops I'm late to that reply, and guy who is in a less cool kin: I'll check for birch wood

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
hey hey i'm the patch notes

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?663861-Bullroarer-Update-22-2-Release-Notes

Champions getting buffed
Blue-line hunters and loremasters getting nerfed (barrage got hit with the nerf stick hard)
Big changes to relics

https://twitter.com/BrandywineFred/status/994326254043230210

(i dunno, hunters and loremasters were pretty overpowered, at least up to Mordor)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 10, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

This is no doubt because I chose a 10+ year old game to play and am playing Hunter blue-line.

How soon are these changes expected to hit the game? Going to suck having to relearn my abilities while I'm still trying to learn the basics of the game, but I guess I'll see what the real world impact is.

20 seconds seems like a terribly long cool-down, but what I'm really curious about is how it gets triggered. The obvious one is if I just dump focus by firing Barrage 3x in a row as fast as I can, but what if I'm just wandering around, and use barrage on random mobs as I come up to them. If those three barrage shots are 5-10 seconds apart each, so the 3 shots span 15-20 seconds or more, does that third shot still trigger the cooldown? What if I use a different skill between the barrage shots, still triggered after 3 no matter how long between the first and third?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Are they planning on changing the rest of the classes soon too? Also, those are all buffs to minstrels right? Because I was going to make one for the music, and usually when I do things like this I'll end up making my second character my main and consider the first one just my learning-mode character

Do most/all the instances scale to your level or will I be able to go back and check out things like the great crypt and forsaken inn solo once I'm leveled enough? All the early ones seem completely dead, like I waited around for at least an hour trying to find a group for crypt the other day, only found one other newbie wanting to do it.

Hey Locator, maybe we could get together and try some of the 3- man instances with just 2 since we both happened to start at the same time? Like forsaken inn is really neat but the boss just destroyed me over and over.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

The Locator posted:

This is no doubt because I chose a 10+ year old game to play and am playing Hunter blue-line.

How soon are these changes expected to hit the game? Going to suck having to relearn my abilities while I'm still trying to learn the basics of the game, but I guess I'll see what the real world impact is.

20 seconds seems like a terribly long cool-down, but what I'm really curious about is how it gets triggered. The obvious one is if I just dump focus by firing Barrage 3x in a row as fast as I can, but what if I'm just wandering around, and use barrage on random mobs as I come up to them. If those three barrage shots are 5-10 seconds apart each, so the 3 shots span 15-20 seconds or more, does that third shot still trigger the cooldown? What if I use a different skill between the barrage shots, still triggered after 3 no matter how long between the first and third?

So Barrage has a stacking damage buff, from what I understand there are basically 3 barrage skills, the third one being the max damage version. On live once you get to Barrage3 you can keep spamming it as long as you have focus, (eventually it resets back to Barrage1 if not used for awhile but not sure what the time increment is) sounds like in the patch once you hit Barrage3 it will trigger a 20 second cooldown on Barrage in general, after 20 seconds you start the cycle over again. I'd be kinda surprised if it stays like that through the patch cycle, just seems like a poorly thought out change. The ability to spam Barrage3 basically nonstop is why Blue hunters are considered so strong in raid dps, seems like a simpler solution would be to refresh back to Barrage1 after Barrage3, but reading how they are changing Red Guardians Bleeds because they can't figure out how to get them to work as currently designed makes me think maybe they don't know how to do that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fried Sushi posted:

So Barrage has a stacking damage buff, from what I understand there are basically 3 barrage skills, the third one being the max damage version. On live once you get to Barrage3 you can keep spamming it as long as you have focus, (eventually it resets back to Barrage1 if not used for awhile but not sure what the time increment is) sounds like in the patch once you hit Barrage3 it will trigger a 20 second cooldown on Barrage in general, after 20 seconds you start the cycle over again. I'd be kinda surprised if it stays like that through the patch cycle, just seems like a poorly thought out change. The ability to spam Barrage3 basically nonstop is why Blue hunters are considered so strong in raid dps, seems like a simpler solution would be to refresh back to Barrage1 after Barrage3, but reading how they are changing Red Guardians Bleeds because they can't figure out how to get them to work as currently designed makes me think maybe they don't know how to do that.

Counters are a totally foreign thing in coding, it's true. lol..

So I had no idea Barrage worked like that, as I just spam it as my primary attack and it one-shots everything. I googled it and if it's not used for 5 seconds it resets to Barrage 1, so if you wait after the 2nd shot it will reset and never trigger the 20s cooldown. Still going to be annoying if it's done like currently planned.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Minstrel red-line is ridiculously easy to level. You have enough aoe and self-heals to take on reasonably sized groups of enemies. The only easier time I had was with Hunter.

Meanwhile, I had to switch my Captain main to yellow line to not die immediately in Mordor and made it to 105, finally. I'm not certain that I'll be able to level correctly in the Mordor zones since I completed a bunch of quests to get to 105.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
I made the mistake of reading the OF threads on the class changes; you'd think I'll know better by now. Embarrassingly the Hunter "discussion" was by far the worst, to the extent that Cordovan thanked the posters on the other class threads for their feedback but warned people in the hunter thread.

In happier news, Breeland and Ered Luin are getting a graphical update to smooth out cliffs, etc. Looks pretty neat.

There was no episodic contest this week but it'll apparently resume with another 8 quests when the next 22.x update comes out.

I ground my way up to Doomfold crafting but haven't been able to motivate myself to work on the guild rep grind much. Similarly I've been plugging away at the MT dailies and have almost maxed out my bow; still need 170 more scrolls for the melee weapon and I'm not sure I'll be up for another month of grinding. I definitely have no motivation to do the Northern Mirkwood dailies: it's a crazy amount of work for gear and essences that'll be obsolete in a few months. I'm sure I bitched about this before, but I hate that you can't overwrite essences already slotted with better ones like you can do with relics. Grinding for gear and essences is already painful but the fact that you're punished further by having to further grind up essence removal scrolls makes me just nope the gently caress out of the whole system.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Getting that last 5% of stats is almost never worth the time invested, imho. The last time I ground out dailies was for Dol Amroth armor. The time before that was wrath of the lich king in wow.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The Weekly Coupon gets you Universal Solvent with coupon code UNISOL now through May 17th

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

extra stout posted:

Never did it myself but most multiboxers are bands in Bree, sometimes a guy leveling three alts and least commonly gold farmers. The music system owns, I've still never done ABCs or any of the plugins for it but I pull out a lute and poorly play normally

edit

Woops I'm late to that reply, and guy who is in a less cool kin: I'll check for birch wood

No worries, sent him a bunch already.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

The Locator posted:

Counters are a totally foreign thing in coding, it's true. lol..

So I had no idea Barrage worked like that, as I just spam it as my primary attack and it one-shots everything. I googled it and if it's not used for 5 seconds it resets to Barrage 1, so if you wait after the 2nd shot it will reset and never trigger the 20s cooldown. Still going to be annoying if it's done like currently planned.

No kidding, especially if they don’t give any allowance between combats. Gotta agree it would work so much better if it just cycled around to Barrage 1 again or just had a “do X number of other abilities between barrages” requirement. I did kind of laugh at their “we expect this will keep blue DPS where it is” remarks, like Hell it will. We knew you were going to nerf it somehow, just pick a way that doesn’t go from too awesome to utter suck.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

MadDogMike posted:

No worries, sent him a bunch already.

Thanks very much, by the way. I have all the ingredients, now I just need someone to make the drat thing for me...

E: Thinking of bringing my hunter into the guild. I only play my warden with friends. If anyone sees me online, message me so I can /gquit and hop back in with the Nazgun.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 13, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Alter Ego posted:

Thanks very much, by the way. I have all the ingredients, now I just need someone to make the drat thing for me...

E: Thinking of bringing my hunter into the guild. I only play my warden with friends. If anyone sees me online, message me so I can /gquit and hop back in with the Nazgun.

Done and done, welcome back. The anniversary festival ends in 42 minutes so if anyone is awake and reading this, log in and spend your tokens, or don't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

extra stout posted:

Done and done, welcome back. The anniversary festival ends in 42 minutes so if anyone is awake and reading this, log in and spend your tokens, or don't!

I have maybe 10 tokens, so I haven't bothered to even look at what's for sale! I did notice the horses when I was doing that training, but they were like 50'ish if I remember right.

Up to level 27 and running into some quests that are really bad for drop rates (go collect 10 thing, thing drops 10% of the kills), I abandoned the ones that I didn't finish by the time my main quests in that area were completed. Not sure how much stomach I have for that sort of quest anymore, but I'll see how it goes for a while longer since I subbed for 3 months!