Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

aejix posted:

Fair play on point 1, agreed there. It's probably the longnecks that are preventing me from parsing point 2 - you're basically saying that the focus groups/internal polling/whatever have shifted negatively in significant enough numbers that they need to pump in however many pints of virgin blood are required to reanimate the corpse of Howard, in order to get him to throw out a few soundbites that will be dutifully repeated ad nauseum on every murdoch- or commercially-owned media outlet without question, promising money to the exact people on whose face the Libs have spent their entire lives grinding their boots?

No, I'm saying that Howard can see that Newstart is a problem, and isn't prevented from describing it like the people actually in office right now. It isn't a play from the media handbook because they don't care. Despite the RDS (Relevancy Deprivation Syndrome), Howard is actually trying to help the party see what the electoral dangers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

JBP posted:

I think you're referring to Matthew Condon's books which own but you're correct they're investigative non-fiction. The Lord's Premier is ok (forget author) but some of it is loving boring. Joh for PM owns. Peter Beattie's book contains interesting Joh content and a decent read.

thanks

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I hate journalists. I assume it's the Arse but it could just as easily be the SMH.

https://twitter.com/MichaelPascoe01/status/994018624942755840

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

JBP posted:

I take back what I said about them retaining we have a mastermind on the case for the liberal party. I didn't see this coming.

he's bitching about the Batman byelection

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Starshark posted:

I hate journalists. I assume it's the Arse but it could just as easily be the SMH.

https://twitter.com/MichaelPascoe01/status/994018624942755840

no that’s smh

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Birdstrike posted:

no that’s smh

I'm smh

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
smdh

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
just reiterating that Three Crooked Kings, Jacks and Jokers and All Fall Down are the bees knees.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I just can't wait for Fairfax an the ABC to hand the coalition another election by a bees dick, so we can have another 3 years of clown show government.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Derryn Hinch puts his finger on the Newstart problem:

quote:

Independent Senator Derryn Hinch said he was disappointed the budget did not look at Newstart.

"I think that will be the big issue this year," he said. "It will get a lot of crossbench and Labor and Greens' support."

He said the majority of welfare recipients were not "20-year-old pimply kids who just don't want to work".

"These are 45, 55-year-old men and women who have been made redundant," he said. "It's just wrong."

Want those tax cuts passed, you know what to do, Malcolm. But the prize goes to the BCA (remember them, they're not at all political) for claiming it wanted the cuts aaaages ago.

quote:

"As the Business Council of Australia noted as far back as 2012 the level of Newstart '...may now be so low as to represent a barrier to employment'," he said.

Really? It must have been under their voice alone in a room 10 stories underground.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Malaysia's opposition alliance led by the country's former authoritarian ruler Mahathir Mohamad has won a majority in parliament, ending the 60-year rule of the National Front.

Oh joy. Another Dictator.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

Malaysia's opposition alliance led by the country's former authoritarian ruler Mahathir Mohamad has won a majority in parliament, ending the 60-year rule of the National Front.

Oh joy. Another Dictator.

This is the first time the Malaysian government has changed hands since independence, in 1963.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And the person who kicked them out was the former 90 year old dictator who resigned in 2003.

Im guessing both options are bad. But still, electing a 90 year old dictator seems to be a bit odd. Also one of his election promises was to literally pardon all of his buddies in prison and then hire them.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

And the person who kicked them out was the former 90 year old dictator who resigned in 2003.

Im guessing both options are bad. But still, electing a 90 year old dictator seems to be a bit odd. Also one of his election promises was to literally pardon all of his buddies in prison and then hire them.

At least some of those buddies were stitched up by the previous regime

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Probably. But still hosed up

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Want those tax cuts passed, you know what to do, Malcolm. But the prize goes to the BCA (remember them, they're not at all political) for claiming it wanted the cuts aaaages ago.

Really? It must have been under their voice alone in a room 10 stories underground.

Stop calling adults under 30 "kids" you bastards.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

ewe2 posted:

I like that even when he’s pushing something progressive Hinch doesn’t even try to pretend that he cares about anyone under 40

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Your only human when you turn 41 and buy your first tie rack with a vast collection of polka dot ties.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Kommando posted:

Stop calling adults under 30 "kids" you bastards.

calling a 20 year old a kid hitting hard for you? is this a rabbit hole we want to go down :eyepop:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah who gives a gently caress

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the pretty obvious subtext is that young people being in poverty is ok but when it’s older people that’s when we need to be concerned

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

bell jar posted:

calling a 20 year old a kid hitting hard for you? is this a rabbit hole we want to go down :eyepop:

well

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The obvious subtext is young adults can't make their own decisions and are not worthy of listening to.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
All those middle aged battlers getting sacked unfairly, unlike young people with their steady and secure employment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Under 30s and 40s have been called kids forever by the generation old enough to be their parents it isn't some slight against you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"Kids" is it the new n word. Next on AusPol.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvn6eYJh-0c

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bell jar posted:

He said "20-year-old pimply kids who just don't want to work" which is utter bullshit and might as well be the Libs party line.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
when you think about it young people will be old people eventually but it’s never the other way around so might as well increase the old age pension as it will benefit both

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

Yeah who gives a gently caress

BBJoey posted:

the pretty obvious subtext is that young people being in poverty is ok but when it’s older people that’s when we need to be concerned

This.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The subtext is that he is old. You'd think after yesterday where young and old workers acted together to try and benefit everyone across all industries you people might make a leap to try and get over this kind of "they called me kid :qq:" horseshit

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
yeah there's still that misconception that if you're young you can just walk down the street, hand in your resume and magically get a job, so obviously anyone who's young and on newstart is just too lazy and doesn't want to work :v:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

The subtext is that he is old. You'd think after yesterday where young and old workers acted together to try and benefit everyone across all industries you people might make a leap to try and get over this kind of "they called me kid :qq:" horseshit

Under 40 and homeless? Clearly just doesn't want to work! Better belittle them and imply that they're practically still teenagers/children

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also, may I just chime in here and say age based wages are the greatest load of bullshit ever. If a job is worth doing it's worth paying a 13 year old the same as a 20 year old, don't entrench child labour by paying them less and making it more enticing for companies to hire year 8s and turf them before graduation.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Under 40 and homeless? Clearly just doesn't want to work! Better belittle them and imply that they're practically still teenagers/children

The problem is the wealthy not the old you loving jackass.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Getting trolled to tears by Derryn Hinch is this thread's ultimate praxis.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also, may I just chime in here and say age based wages are the greatest load of bullshit ever. If a job is worth doing it's worth paying a 13 year old the same as a 20 year old, don't entrench child labour by paying them less and making it more enticing for companies to hire year 8s and turf them before graduation.

lol "entrenching child labour" hahaha

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

tell me, does paying women less encourage companies to hire them more. does underpaying women entrench female labour :allears:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

bell jar posted:

tell me, does paying women less encourage companies to hire them more. does underpaying women entrench female labour :allears:

it's because female labour is seen as inherently worth less than male labour and I'm sure it's similar with young people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Anyway, library services are female-dominated and they're paid poo poo wages. Except maybe for the CEO-type positions which have a lot of men in them.

• Locked thread