Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

I like this one. Where did you take it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Schneider Heim posted:

I like this one. Where did you take it?

Thanks! That's the Addison Red Line stop. I was just going down the stairs to exit and took it impulsively, ha.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I was that woman last night.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

I was that woman last night.

Text me

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

nah

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Am I a wildlife photographer yet?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

This is fantastic. How did you get it? Especially with the 23mm; I get so self conscious trying to get as close as I need to with a 23mm lens to get a good picture and get intimidated.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Bad monkey

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Keret posted:

This is fantastic. How did you get it? Especially with the 23mm; I get so self conscious trying to get as close as I need to with a 23mm lens to get a good picture and get intimidated.

I've been practicing getting my courage up as an experiment. Getting close with 23mm isn't a problem normally; the X-T2 isn't a giant camera, and can shoot very quietly. All that goes out the window when you use flash. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of it, but I'm liking some of what I get.

(edit) I would also say that context is important. Taking pictures of people just walking down the street can be seen as intrusive for plenty of reasons, but one is that the only 'reason' to take a picture is "I think you look interesting." If you cheat and only take pictures of people who are in the middle of ridiculous poo poo (like insane weather) and you're in it with them, it's much less transgressive. You're taking a picture of "this poo poo we're going through." That sits better with me, and seemingly better with the people I shot in these situations -- they get it. Helps keep me out of Bruce Gilden territory.

thetzar fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 9, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
GREY3976
by Jim, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

raw0004.jpg
by Brian Kennedy, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

thetzar posted:

I've been practicing getting my courage up as an experiment. Getting close with 23mm isn't a problem normally; the X-T2 isn't a giant camera, and can shoot very quietly. All that goes out the window when you use flash. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of it, but I'm liking some of what I get.

(edit) I would also say that context is important. Taking pictures of people just walking down the street can be seen as intrusive for plenty of reasons, but one is that the only 'reason' to take a picture is "I think you look interesting." If you cheat and only take pictures of people who are in the middle of ridiculous poo poo (like insane weather) and you're in it with them, it's much less transgressive. You're taking a picture of "this poo poo we're going through." That sits better with me, and seemingly better with the people I shot in these situations -- they get it. Helps keep me out of Bruce Gilden territory.

If you ever get good, you wont have to explain your bad photos :snoop: Probably spend less time trying to be someone else and spend more time getting good.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I think it'd look better just a touch brighter, but good lord, that's a lovely shot.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Musket posted:

If you ever get good, you wont have to explain your bad photos :snoop: Probably spend less time trying to be someone else and spend more time getting good.

Thanks for the pointer.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
I've been on SA forever but I've only been getting any good at street photography for a short while. I'm a complete amateur.

_2020062 by Mike McNally, on Flickr

emfive fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 8, 2018

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Here's one that I like a lot from a renfair. I took the camera on an impulse and felt stupid once I got there (I went because my daughter and her friend wanted to go; I'm not a renfair person). Once I got two or three beers in me however I started to get into it.

renfair__3110177 by Mike McNally, on Flickr

emfive fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 8, 2018

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

another renfair pic

renfair__3110072 by Mike McNally, on Flickr

I realize that these pictures are technically only "street" if you're willing to consider the dirt thoroughfare at a renfair a "street".

emfive fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 10, 2018

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I don't think it's realistic to say you've been getting good at street photography

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't think it's realistic to say you've been getting good at street photography

:thurman:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

ha ha I agree

What I meant was "having a glimmer of understanding what it's actually about"

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

emfive posted:

ha ha I agree

What I meant was "having a glimmer of understanding what it's actually about"

What do you think it's about?

And how do the photos that you posted align with that?

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 20, 2018

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Helen Highwater posted:

What do you think it's about?

And how do the photos that you posted align with that?

Well, that's a good question. Note that I'm doing this for myself; I don't have any aspirations or really even desire to be any sort of professional. I say that not as an excuse but just to set the context; all I really care about is whether I make pictures that are what I want to see, and that have a little of the appeal of work other people do that I admire a lot. I don't think I know enough to explain what it is I like about other peoples' work when I do like it.

So anyway to me it's about a combination of composition and human involvement. I really like getting pictures that capture some personality or spark in human subjects, but in subtle ways. It's hard to express; that picture of the little girl eating something is an example. It's a kid with food and a sort-of blank expression, and that reverberates for me as a parent. I took three or four shots (I think; I can't access the whole set at the moment) and this one I liked because of her head angle and the door open behind her. I explicitly don't really like doing "street portrait" type pictures; it's just not my thing.

I appreciate criticism of course and if there are reasons the photos are complete disasters I would definitely like to know. Or if they're just completely boring or whatever.

[edit] that first paragraph is lame and conveys something different than what I was thinking. I'm not sure I know what I meant. Of course if I took pictures that other people thought were decent I'd like them too, most of the time at least.

emfive fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 20, 2018

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Of the three that you posted, the only one I really thought was a keeper was the first one. And it's interesting due to the geometry and architecture in the photo, the dude walking along isn't the subject there, even if you intended him to be. It's a good photo but it's not a good street photo.

The other two are phone snaps on Facebook type stuff honestly. Between the backgrounds, the framing, and the cropping decisions, there are a host of things that would make them first-round delete candidates for me.

I don't claim to be an expert here, and street photography is something I am terrible at (more terrible than usual). I think that it can mostly be characterised as 'frozen stories'. Not just candid portraits of people, or pictures that happen to be taken on a street. There should be a narrative within the picture, a story that we can unravel as we explore the picture. It's hard to do and harder to do well which is why a lot of 'street photographers' seem to default to oversharpened B&W pictures of homeless people instead.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Helen Highwater posted:

Of the three that you posted, the only one I really thought was a keeper was the first one. And it's interesting due to the geometry and architecture in the photo, the dude walking along isn't the subject there, even if you intended him to be. It's a good photo but it's not a good street photo.

The other two are phone snaps on Facebook type stuff honestly. Between the backgrounds, the framing, and the cropping decisions, there are a host of things that would make them first-round delete candidates for me.

I don't claim to be an expert here, and street photography is something I am terrible at (more terrible than usual). I think that it can mostly be characterised as 'frozen stories'. Not just candid portraits of people, or pictures that happen to be taken on a street. There should be a narrative within the picture, a story that we can unravel as we explore the picture. It's hard to do and harder to do well which is why a lot of 'street photographers' seem to default to oversharpened B&W pictures of homeless people instead.

Thanks, that is illuminating.

Maybe I shouldn't think about what I like doing as "street photography"; it seems like a lot of the technical aspects of it are meaningful for what I like to do. I don't like posing people for example; it's just boring and I hate it, and even if I loved it that's not the kind of picture I want to take.

I spend a lot of time on Stackoverflow answering questions, quite often from people who are way way off in the weeds, so I appreciate that the stuff I posted may seem just laughably wrong to people who know what they're doing.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 10, 2018

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm very new to going out and angling for candid street shots, so brutal criticism of any garbage I post would be welcome. I was torn whether to put this up in the landscape thread or here.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Megabound posted:

I'm very new to going out and angling for candid street shots, so brutal criticism of any garbage I post would be welcome. I was torn whether to put this up in the landscape thread or here.

If you think it's garbage, it probably is. As a solo shot, there's nothing remarkable or moving about it. Also, it's probably more of a street shot than a landscape shot since I think the people or old man is your subject.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

shoot more, post less.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I kinda like the weird broken symmetry going on, it's like a screwed up mirror image. Whilst there isn't anything particular happening, to me the framing is cool. Did you do perspective adjustments or is that straight out of camera?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That's straight out of camera, and I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't like it. I definitely agree there's not a lot of emotion in it, but I like it for the reason Nonzero does, the symmetry and framing, muted colour, and I love how reds come out on Portra.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 17, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I’d like to see that one as a series, even if it meant you spent 3 miserable days sitting still waiting for an interesting scene. Especially so, in fact.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Megabound posted:

That's straight out of camera, and I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't like it. I definitely agree there's not a lot of emotion in it, but I like it for the reason Nonzero does, the symmetry and framing, muted colour, and I love how reds come out on Portra.

Usually those are like the finishing touches to a strong or good subject, like makeup. I do agree that the components you mentioned are nice but that's basically it - they don't really work together to make a good photo. Saying the symmetry or muted colors are good is different from saying the photo is good. That said, sometimes that is why such photos work better in a series.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

alkanphel posted:

Usually those are like the finishing touches to a strong or good subject, like makeup. I do agree that the components you mentioned are nice but that's basically it - they don't really work together to make a good photo. Saying the symmetry or muted colors are good is different from saying the photo is good. That said, sometimes that is why such photos work better in a series.

Thanks for the feedback, I wish I was still in Japan to explore the Keiyo line more as the idea of a series never came into my head. Much appreciated.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
I traveled around the world in 3 weeks, and I've never traveled internationally before. Getting out of my comfort zone helped me feel more confident taking candid/street photos, which I never really did before. Here are some I got from the trip. Trains and train stations are a goldmine.

Watching the Independence Day Naval Procession by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

Northbound by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

What? by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

A Flower for Her by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My street photography is bad

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Nonsense! That's clearly a street.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Edit: It all makes so much sense now.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Landscape thread my dude. Street tells a human story.