Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You played as a puckish rogue who quipped a ton and killed evil invading aliens with guns and fireballs. You're basically indistinguishable from an Avenger.

Don't forget that you have a giant base and a color theme for everything. It's totally a superhero game.

I'm pretty sure if your idea of "superhero game" requires a silly costume with the underpants on the outside, its costume creator would allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

My memory is a bit hazy but I'm pretty sure you could wear capes in Saints Row 3 and 4.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

OnimaruXLR posted:

how is a game where the only things that can feasibly hurt you are Doomsday, Darkseid, and Kryptonite any less boring?

If they don't have any good ideas for a Superman game, they don't have to make one.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
People have been making comics, cartoons, and movie about Superman for decades, I'm sure someone can think of ideas for a game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Who the heck thinks Arkham City was a colossal disappointment? Heck em!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a thing in Games for some reason.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Do you mean Arkham Origins perhaps?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i thought Arkham Knight was the one everyone hated, because of the batmobile stuff being really mediocre

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Origins and Knight are half assed games with terrible stories. Arkham City's fine, despite some story problems.

I get the feeling Arkham Superman is going to focus way too much on Luthor.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lurdiak posted:

Origins and Knight are half assed games with terrible stories. Arkham City's fine, despite some story problems.

I'm fine with that. <3 Luthor

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

pubic works project posted:

I'm fine with that. <3 Luthor

I used to like the Joker before those loving Arkham games.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Arkham Knight has the Batman being a huge rear end in a top hat and the most Joker so it's my favorite.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Arkham Superman sounds extremely good if they get it right.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I woulda liked to see Arkham Beyond.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
None of the Arkham games have great stories, I wouldn't pit them against each other based on that category.

Waffleman_ posted:

I woulda liked to see Arkham Beyond.

Yes, but only if they change a number of things about Beyond to get there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

Well, from the rumor it's supposedly Braniac that's the main villain.

Would be cool if they had Lex develop into the anti-hero with the Superman armor.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hope they get the dude they got for Injustice 2 to voice him again

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wal-Mart accidentally put up a bunch of leaked announcements up for pre-order apparently

No sign of Superman, but there is Lego DC Villains.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Back in my day you used to get Lego DC Heroes and Villains in the same game!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

I understand that people were annoyed that the Joker was in Arkham Origins, but the story of a new Batman fighting a gauntlet of villains is a pretty good story.

And it has one of my all time favourite Batman moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5meg74IhGAI

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I loved 99% of Knight - even the Tank - and it's my favorite of them but I'll admit I have terrible taste.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I stopped playing it the first time the tank showed up. It was so awful and exactly the opposite of what I want Batman to be.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The central premise of Origins is actually very cool which is why the way the game handles it was so disappointing to me. 2 of the villains aren't completely optional content. The best moment is actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYH7K_IRTfw&t=60s

But I also found it incredibly glitchy when it first released and that soured me on the game. Knight just needed to ease up on the loving Batmobile and have less segments take place outside.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked how they tried to make a super cool boss fight with Deathstroke but the combat system is clearly built for group fights

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If the Superman game becomes popular or influential I wonder if we'll refer to it the way we've been using Arkham as shorthand for several years now. Like talking about how some upcoming game has "Krypton combat".

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

The Question IRL posted:

I understand that people were annoyed that the Joker was in Arkham Origins, but the story of a new Batman fighting a gauntlet of villains is a pretty good story.

And it has one of my all time favourite Batman moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5meg74IhGAI

As buggy as Origins was it was the only game in the series to have a somewhat decent story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

I understand that people were annoyed that the Joker was in Arkham Origins,

Dude, I was annoyed he was in City. They gave him an entire game that pretty much had all the joker stuff anyone could ever want, including Killing Joke quotes, but for some reason he's the main villain of 3 other games.

JT Smiley posted:

As buggy as Origins was it was the only game in the series to have a somewhat decent story.

That was the worst Batman story not written by Jeph Loeb.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Knight has one of the best uses of the Joker ever.

JT Smiley posted:

The only thing I liked about the story was that it took the idea of the crime families being replaced by the freaks as literally as possible.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I always thought the KOTOR/Mass Effect system would actually work well for a Superman game

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

I always thought the KOTOR/Mass Effect system would actually work well for a Superman game

Cover based shooting? Bad OpenGL turn based combat?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Turn based with some modified powers. It would be weird but it could work.

I mean not now, since bioware is dead, but In fantasyland

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Have you heard of this good thing called Freedom Force, perhaps?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Who ever has the rights to the Prototype engine should really use it to either make a Superman or the Hulk game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I 100% Asylum, City, and Knight. Would have with Origins but something about combat in the main game (and only the main game, the challenge maps and Cold, Cold Heart were fine) kept me from wanting to do it.

If I never see another god drat Riddler trophy again I will die a happy man. If they have to do that again, more of the Asylum style of finding little bits that reference some comic thing would be great.

Lurdiak posted:

Bad OpenGL turn based combat?

I'm not sure what you mean by this? OpenGL? The graphics renderer?

Samuringa posted:

Have you heard of this good thing called Freedom Force, perhaps?

Freedom Force kicks rear end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vakal posted:

Who ever has the rights to the Prototype engine should really use it to either make a Superman or the Hulk game.

They did make a Hulk game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I think the Superman Returns game had the right idea. Superman is insanely strong and invincible but using your powers intelligently to minimize damage is the key. It would take some creative as hell design though but the Mongul fight in that game is the closest I think a game has come to really feeling like a superpower battle. Shame about the rest of it.

They even had the right idea for the gimmick "I want to gently caress around mode" and made it Bizarro mode.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

That was the worst Batman story not written by Jeph Loeb.

The very next game in the series is about people getting infected with a viral disease that turns them into the Joker.

I guess I just like that Origins is the only game in this entire series that calls Bruce out for being a total rear end in a top hat to those around him.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I kind of hate Origins, it's just so dull. Also Batman beating up cops to the point where he breaks into the GCPD precinct to fight them directly seems wildly out of character. Sure, the cops are awful and corrupt, but I still don't see that as something he would do while trying to establish his credentials as a vigilante.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Has anyone heard anything about the upcoming Spider-Man game? (September I think) They said the swinging is physics based but that doesn't necessarily mean the game will be Spider-Man 2 reincarnated. If that game lives up to my dreams I'd buy a PS4 just to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Comfortador posted:

Has anyone heard anything about the upcoming Spider-Man game? (September I think) They said the swinging is physics based but that doesn't necessarily mean the game will be Spider-Man 2 reincarnated. If that game lives up to my dreams I'd buy a PS4 just to play it.

There are tons of gameplay videos out since the game is releasing soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvsYcG4ll-w