Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

PierreTheMime posted:

Also, for new Biovores and assorted Tyranid expansion models. Biovores are literally the Orkiest Tyranid model so they better drat well be getting a plastic Octarius release, especially with their newfound popularity.

They better fuckin not I just ordered three of them :negative:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Is the Forgeworld DE Reaper worth using in 8th ed games? I don't mind the price, but if it's never going to see play because it's stupid or overcosted I don't want to bother. I don't understand 8th well enough to be able to make that judgement myself as of yet.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 10, 2018

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Is a skarboy part of established lore?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Very old lore.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Skarboy

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Immanentized posted:

Is a skarboy part of established lore?

Yeah. I thought they were mostly affiliated with Snakebites, but Lexicanum says they're more associated with the Goff clan.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Meghazgkull is too good to be true

Also glad of the thread's good and cool takes on Nazis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7mRG88KPbA

I played a game last night, Drukhari vs. Craftworlds. I was running the LGT list I've posted a couple of times and replicated below for convenience. He had the Yncarne, 9 Shining Spears and a squad of Rangers in an Ynnari patrol, then the rest Alaitoc with 3x Rangers, skyrunner Farseer, skyrunner Warlocks, 3x Hemlocks, 3x Warp Spiders. We played LGT mission 3, which is Race to Victory (modified so that the game doesn't end on 10 cards, just Maelstrom scoring) and Resupply Drop, modified so that only 1 objective disappears rather than 2, with corners deployment.

He chose sides, I started deploying first. I've lost a couple of games in a row with the DE, once against Dark Angels/Custodes and once against Plaguebearer-spam Daemons, and deployment was key in both of them. I hosed it up here too, deploying very aggressively with the Hellions screening the Venoms so that the jetbikes couldn't charge into them, right on the centre circle. The idea was that I would be able to push up and hit his planes within 12" and alpha them, but that was super dumb as anyone thinking about the dimensions of the board will easily notice. I deploy way too aggressively basically every time with DE, because it's what's worked against the static gunlines I've been playing against, but against very mobile armies or short-ranged armies I'm basically just giving up my mobility advantage by doing that. Happily in this game I was saved from my error by going first and immediately falling back to where I should have been deployed in the first place, in the back of my own table corner.

Since as far as I can tell from the LGT rules you don't need to pick extra relics or pre-game stratages until you arrive at the table, I gave the Helm of Spite to one Flayed Skull Archon and the +1 invuln trait to my Succubus.

For some reason he'd dropped his Alaitoc Rangers scattered about in my part of the board, so I wiped all three of those squads with the Venoms shooting and Hellions in combat. The Ravagers stayed in reserve, and the Voidraven swept up and killed some of the Shining Spears.

His turn 1 he rushed the Spears forwards and went off to fight the Hellions. The planes swept up too and killed my command Venom (god I wish I'd taken a Raider for those dudes to ride in with some sacrificial Kabalites, or an Ur-Ghul or anything at all) but didn't do much else.

My turn 2 was pretty bloody. I killed one plane and wounded the other two (slightly better target priority, and remembering the Flayed Skull stratagem, might have helped me kill two, but c'est la vie) and he made a phenomenal number of saves on the jetbikes against the Venom spam which was deeply annoying. I also killed off one of his Warlocks with a unit of Reavers on the far side of the board. The Succubus ran in and tried to tie up his jetbikes, but did gently caress all damage to them and then they fell back and charged anyway with stratagem magic.

At the end of my 2 I was 6-0 ahead on points, because I'd been getting good Maelstrom cards and had tons of mobility to go off and score stuff whereas he'd basically had a pile of cards for securing the objective my whole army was sat on top of. He drew Supremacy and was right on the cusp of being able to claim it in his turn, when his Warlock which was hoping to clear some Reavers off his corner objective rolled a double 6 Perils and blew his own head off. The Yncarne popped up but failed his smite roll on my single remaining Reaver after the Perils wounds, meaning that I was contesting and he couldn't claim it. His Warp Spiders beamed in but didn't do very much, and he forgot to use the thing to make them -1 to hit. From this point on I'd basically won - he'd done a lot of damage to me, but in turn 3 I cored out his army by killing the remaining planes and taking off some of the Spiders, and my stuff was spread out enough and hard enough to get rid of that at 6-0 down and with very few possibilities to score points he was unlikely to win without tabling. We played out a little more in which I killed the Yncarne (which had teleported to my table corner) and some more Spiders, and called it there.

Lessons learned? I need to be less aggressive with the deployment. Against an army like this I should sit back and let them come to me, because what happened when I fell back in turn 1 is that he ended up dangerously spread out and that worked in my favour since I could send small stuff off to go and claim objectives and such while killing his things off piecemeal. I made a mistake with my plane (spot it in the pictures) and that cost me badly just for having done something super dumb and obvious which I absolutely should not do again. At the time, I was annoyed I forgot to use Agents of Vect to take off his advance and charge stratagem on the jetbikes, but actually an Eldar player with Soulbursting jetbikes will get 3 chances to use it in different phases, and a clever one will draw you out by using it in his Movement phase and then doing it again in Psychic with Quickening which basically just wastes the points.

Pictures as promised:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm keeping my hype tempered until we see some goddamn tinboys :colbert:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
This demo is on the schedule for this weekend's Warhammerfest:

Looking forward to buying an army of knights that doesn't need a van to transport around

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Sorry for listposting, but please someone tell me how awful this list would be:

+++ Marine Blob (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [99 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [99 PL, 2000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 134pts]:
. Warlord: Storm of Fire

Primaris Librarian [7 PL, 101pts]:

Primaris Lieutenants [5 PL, 74pts]

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 96pts]: Auto Bolt Rifle, Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 96pts]: Auto Bolt Rifle, Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Primaris Ancient [5 PL, 69pts]: Standard of the Emperor Ascendant

Primaris Apothecary [4 PL, 68pts]

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 182pts]: Twin lascannon
. Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 185pts]: Armorium Cherub
. Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-plasma
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 175pts]: Assault Plasma Incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

Hellblaster Squad [16 PL, 357pts]: Assault Plasma Incinerator
. 9x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Plasma pistol

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 128pts]: Hunter-killer missile, Storm bolter, Twin lascannon

Created with BattleScribe

My first list and pretty much the Dark imperium box with some extras. What would be the most glaring mistakes that I've made?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Someone at my local GW store bought that 1300 dollar Warlord Titan, it's pretty insane to see it put together.

He's gonna fight everyone at the store at some point this summer.

Thing costs like 6,000 points and has 70 wounds with a 2+ and a 3+ invuln that saves mortal wounds, S&T 16, and a bunch of weapons that are insane, movement 16", enemies within 9" add D6 to morale checks, the list goes on.

Should be fun to take it down or die trying

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Couple years ago i painted some Ad-mech duders, but never took good photos of them

I've since become vastly better at the painting

This has been an interlude in the shitluge of tittycrons and angry nerds.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Meghazgkull is too good to be true

Also glad of the thread's good and cool takes on Nazis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7mRG88KPbA

I played a game last night, Drukhari vs. Craftworlds. I was running the LGT list I've posted a couple of times and replicated below for convenience. He had the Yncarne, 9 Shining Spears and a squad of Rangers in an Ynnari patrol, then the rest Alaitoc with 3x Rangers, skyrunner Farseer, skyrunner Warlocks, 3x Hemlocks, 3x Warp Spiders. We played LGT mission 3, which is Race to Victory (modified so that the game doesn't end on 10 cards, just Maelstrom scoring) and Resupply Drop, modified so that only 1 objective disappears rather than 2, with corners deployment.

He chose sides, I started deploying first. I've lost a couple of games in a row with the DE, once against Dark Angels/Custodes and once against Plaguebearer-spam Daemons, and deployment was key in both of them. I hosed it up here too, deploying very aggressively with the Hellions screening the Venoms so that the jetbikes couldn't charge into them, right on the centre circle. The idea was that I would be able to push up and hit his planes within 12" and alpha them, but that was super dumb as anyone thinking about the dimensions of the board will easily notice. I deploy way too aggressively basically every time with DE, because it's what's worked against the static gunlines I've been playing against, but against very mobile armies or short-ranged armies I'm basically just giving up my mobility advantage by doing that. Happily in this game I was saved from my error by going first and immediately falling back to where I should have been deployed in the first place, in the back of my own table corner.

Since as far as I can tell from the LGT rules you don't need to pick extra relics or pre-game stratages until you arrive at the table, I gave the Helm of Spite to one Flayed Skull Archon and the +1 invuln trait to my Succubus.

For some reason he'd dropped his Alaitoc Rangers scattered about in my part of the board, so I wiped all three of those squads with the Venoms shooting and Hellions in combat. The Ravagers stayed in reserve, and the Voidraven swept up and killed some of the Shining Spears.

His turn 1 he rushed the Spears forwards and went off to fight the Hellions. The planes swept up too and killed my command Venom (god I wish I'd taken a Raider for those dudes to ride in with some sacrificial Kabalites, or an Ur-Ghul or anything at all) but didn't do much else.

My turn 2 was pretty bloody. I killed one plane and wounded the other two (slightly better target priority, and remembering the Flayed Skull stratagem, might have helped me kill two, but c'est la vie) and he made a phenomenal number of saves on the jetbikes against the Venom spam which was deeply annoying. I also killed off one of his Warlocks with a unit of Reavers on the far side of the board. The Succubus ran in and tried to tie up his jetbikes, but did gently caress all damage to them and then they fell back and charged anyway with stratagem magic.

At the end of my 2 I was 6-0 ahead on points, because I'd been getting good Maelstrom cards and had tons of mobility to go off and score stuff whereas he'd basically had a pile of cards for securing the objective my whole army was sat on top of. He drew Supremacy and was right on the cusp of being able to claim it in his turn, when his Warlock which was hoping to clear some Reavers off his corner objective rolled a double 6 Perils and blew his own head off. The Yncarne popped up but failed his smite roll on my single remaining Reaver after the Perils wounds, meaning that I was contesting and he couldn't claim it. His Warp Spiders beamed in but didn't do very much, and he forgot to use the thing to make them -1 to hit. From this point on I'd basically won - he'd done a lot of damage to me, but in turn 3 I cored out his army by killing the remaining planes and taking off some of the Spiders, and my stuff was spread out enough and hard enough to get rid of that at 6-0 down and with very few possibilities to score points he was unlikely to win without tabling. We played out a little more in which I killed the Yncarne (which had teleported to my table corner) and some more Spiders, and called it there.

Lessons learned? I need to be less aggressive with the deployment. Against an army like this I should sit back and let them come to me, because what happened when I fell back in turn 1 is that he ended up dangerously spread out and that worked in my favour since I could send small stuff off to go and claim objectives and such while killing his things off piecemeal. I made a mistake with my plane (spot it in the pictures) and that cost me badly just for having done something super dumb and obvious which I absolutely should not do again. At the time, I was annoyed I forgot to use Agents of Vect to take off his advance and charge stratagem on the jetbikes, but actually an Eldar player with Soulbursting jetbikes will get 3 chances to use it in different phases, and a clever one will draw you out by using it in his Movement phase and then doing it again in Psychic with Quickening which basically just wastes the points.

Pictures as promised:

Did you fly into the corner without a way out?

Scrublord

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Here's a better picture of that entry by the way:

It's lookin' like dis is a right an' proppa WAAAAAGH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcPrvZfYLu0

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pand posted:

+++ Marine Blob (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [99 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [99 PL, 2000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 134pts]:
. Warlord: Storm of Fire

Primaris Librarian [7 PL, 101pts]:

Primaris Lieutenants [5 PL, 74pts]

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Primaris Ancient [5 PL, 69pts]: Standard of the Emperor Ascendant

Primaris Apothecary [4 PL, 68pts]

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 182pts]: Twin lascannon
. Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 185pts]: Armorium Cherub
. Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-plasma

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 175pts]: Assault Plasma Incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

Hellblaster Squad [16 PL, 357pts]: Assault Plasma Incinerator
. 9x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Plasma pistol

+ Dedicated Transport +

Created with BattleScribe

My first list and pretty much the Dark imperium box with some extras. What would be the most glaring mistakes that I've made?

Warning: I suck at 40K.

The Razorbacks won't be able to transport anything outside of the Devastator squad that you won't want moving, so you're basically paying 128 points for a pair of Lascannons. I wouldn't give the Hellblaster Sergeant a plasma pistol; if he's close enough to use it then you probably screwed something up. I would recommend giving the Sergeants a power sword; the added AP helps a lot against quite a bit. Overall I think your list suffers from being fairly schizophrenic; you have a lot of points wrapped up in characters (Librarian, Lieutenant, Ancient, Apothecary) that don't have much in the way of infantry to support. The Hellblasters and Assault Plasma Incinerators are solid choices.

My recommendation would be to start with the Dark Imperium box and put together 1000 points. Get another squad of Intercessors so you can field a full Battalion, and then once that's done think about what you'd want to add to expand your capabilities. Personally with a force like that I would just go pure Primaris but for me that's because I'm not a fan of the different sizes.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

Did you fly into the corner without a way out?

Scrublord

Yep! Flew in, did my shooting, then went "oh." Last time I used planes regularly they were skimmers moving 6" a turn so they could fire all three lascannons, now the loving thing can move 60" but needs a giant turning circle. Remembering not to be bad is a work in progress.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Corrode posted:

Yep! Flew in, did my shooting, then went "oh." Last time I used planes regularly they were skimmers moving 6" a turn so they could fire all three lascannons, now the loving thing can move 60" but needs a giant turning circle. Remembering not to be bad is a work in progress.

I really hate planes in 8th edition. You are so severely limited on where you can put them, you basically are stuck flying them in a square and hoping the opponent doesn't have the screen available to block your move and kill you.

EDIT: They need like a 120 degree turn radius or to be able to fly off and back on or something. They are also usually way overcosted before you even consider how unwieldy they are. (Yes I am aware space marines get good planes with hover or whatever but I'm talking about the rest of the planes)

Salynne fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 9, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

General Olloth posted:

I really hate planes in 8th edition. You are so severely limited on where you can put them, you basically are stuck flying them in a square and hoping the opponent doesn't have the screen available to block your move and kill you.

EDIT: They need like a 120 degree turn radius or to be able to fly off and back on or something. They are also usually way overcosted before you even consider how unwieldy they are. (Yes I am aware space marines get good planes with hover or whatever but I'm talking about the rest of the planes)

Planes are really variable. The Marine/Dark Angel ones are good because of hover and the firepower, the Eldar ones are super powerful because they can double pivot and have psychic bullshit and great guns. The Dark Eldar ones I'm intrigued by at the very least, although I think there's probably better choices in the book. I'll probably get a bunch regardless just because they're cool.

Ork, Tau and Guard ones mostly seem very average, and as someone pointed out with the Necron ones, they're priced like they had quantum shielding at some stage and then they took it away but changed nothing else.

It is disappointing that flying off auto-kills you now. I get why, since being able to fly off the board at will is great potential protection, but like you said it's dumb that you end up just flying in a little square all game.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I started playing with Beers calculator on melee stuff. Sans obsessions and drugs, plain Grotesques are actually better at killing than plain wyches. They also have equivalent raw number of wounds per points, although obviously grots have much higher toughness and invulnerable saves.

Next I’ll factor in obsessions and drugs.

After that I want to figure out a baseline way to calculate resilience and mobility for melee units. I think I’m going to look at a couple top tournament gun line lists and just use beers calculator to see how they’d do shooting various drukhari melee compositions.

I think another method to analyze drukhari melee viability is to look at the top horde melee tournament lists and compare efficiencies with dark eldar units.

Generally, with all other variables held equal, it’s better to have hordes right? Because all competitive lists will have anti tank / multi damage weapons which lose utility vs single cheap models.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Pand posted:

[b]+++ Marine Blob (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [99 PL, 2000pts]

biggest mistake i can see is you dont have an impguard detachment in your spac marine list

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

biggest mistake i can see is you dont have an impguard detachment in your spac marine list

At some point in my vast, hilarious, lifelong conceptual backlog I want to do a Guard detachment using Van Saar models. Probably sometime after I add 1000 points through 14 Custodes models, add another 1000 points through three Knight models, and possibly convince my wife to let me get a Warlord Titan in exchange for another child once I earn my PhD.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
You are a phd candidate, a dad, and a warham?

How?!?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I don’t think I want to paint another bike for a long time.

Khan (Captain on bike)

Test models- the only ones with both bike and rider painted. The power sword was... I don’t know what it was however it’s since been removed for repainting.

How would a biker be able to honestly ride with a power fist? I thought about it for a while then figured it would probably usually be mounted to where the duder could just slip their hand in like a glove.

Status of all the bikes. I’m rebuilding the riders because the FW resin casts just plain suck- replacing the torsos, heads, and shoulder pads with plastic from a Mk IV box

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

You are a phd candidate, a dad, and a warham?

How?!?

I don't sleep.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The location is worse than the old one, but the store is definitely bigger and nicer. I think G&S is the best store in the region.

Yeah, I would totally agree they're the nicest store. Unfortunately there aren't too many 40k events there as they don't run any.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Felime posted:

Yeah, I would totally agree they're the nicest store. Unfortunately there aren't too many 40k events there as they don't run any.

What about Third Eye? Do they run much?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What about Third Eye? Do they run much?

They've been doing a good amount. There's a narrative league running soon. (first round signups ending may 13th I believe) and they occasionally run tournaments, though when I poked my head in during one, it was reasonably small.

We should play some this weekend or something. Getting games in has been helping my motivation to paint a whole lot.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't sleep.

Can confirm, best way to juggle babies, hams and academia.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Anyone know of a place that sells decals for modern fire hawks? All I could find was the mushroom cloud.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Khan (Captain on bike)

Test models- the only ones with both bike and rider painted. The power sword was... I don’t know what it was however it’s since been removed for repainting.

How would a biker be able to honestly ride with a power fist? I thought about it for a while then figured it would probably usually be mounted to where the duder could just slip their hand in like a glove.

Status of all the bikes. I’m rebuilding the riders because the FW resin casts just plain suck- replacing the torsos, heads, and shoulder pads with plastic from a Mk IV box

I remember the first bikes I ever painted we're my crappy conversions of deffkopptas into nob bikers back in 5th. I have not painted a bike since because how awful it was.

But drat do yours look sick, it will be worth the pain once you get those bodies on those seats.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

Khan (Captain on bike)

These are absolutely fantastic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

OhDearGodNo posted:

Khan (Captain on bike)

Bikes are my least favorite models to paint, and the thought of painting white ones gives me hives, but yours look dope as hell.

Someone asked about the 3d print bits I have earlier; I've gotta get a picture but I haven't forgotten!

Also got a Forgeworld order of all the new Necromunda characters and it's genuinely the best set of casts I've ever gotten from FW. Barely any mold lines, crisp detail all around, and nothing missing. Looking forward to painting these weirdos.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Warhammer TV has two different methods for painting old Blood Angels and a video on how to paint Primaris Blood Angel armor, and none of them match the actual product photos on their website, which look the nicest

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Khan (Captain on bike)

Painting bikes sucks but if done well they are among my favorite finished products.

These are freaking incredible. The painting and the conversions are so good. Are these white scars or custodes? They look way better in your color scheme than the usual custodes "ALL GOLD EVERYTHING"!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Warhammer TV has two different methods for painting old Blood Angels and a video on how to paint Primaris Blood Angel armor, and none of them match the actual product photos on their website, which look the nicest
Of course the product photos look better. They're by the 'Eavy Metal team which is their premiere painting team. They do all of the studio promo models and are on all of the box art. Warhammer TV's videos are not meant to achieve that same level of painting. They're meant as a good base to work from and only rarely feature more advanced techniques like blending or glazing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Safety Factor posted:

Of course the product photos look better. They're by the 'Eavy Metal team which is their premiere painting team. They do all of the studio promo models and are on all of the box art. Warhammer TV's videos are not meant to achieve that same level of painting. They're meant as a good base to work from and only rarely feature more advanced techniques like blending or glazing.

I'm not talking about like, how nice the eye lenses or blood drops look. Warhammer TV's Primaris BA armor video does drybrushing, but the promotional images are edge highlighted. and the edge highlighting looks way better and makes the red a lot brighter.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Duncan did a video on pairing Blood Angels Tactical Marines a year or two ago that should be fairly close to what you see on the store

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not talking about like, how nice the eye lenses or blood drops look. Warhammer TV's Primaris BA armor video does drybrushing, but the promotional images are edge highlighted. and the edge highlighting looks way better and makes the red a lot brighter.

He's talking about the armor too. If you want to get results that look like the product photos you need to paint darker line recesses than just a wash, and multiple edge highlights building up to an extremely bright but thin final edge. That applies to nearly everything. Recently they've been posting 'Eavy metal recipes on the official instagram, these HH 1k sons are probably close to what they do for the blood angels:

Also this guy has a series where he tried to replicate the heavy metal paint jobs for an Intercessor of various chapters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwyuuVoFYys&t=907s

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 10, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
well, poo poo. I was going to go with Blood Angels because the tutorials make painting space marines in general look reasonably easy, and I really liked the bright red of the Blood Angels.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Khan (Captain on bike)

These are so sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Guy Goodbody posted:

well, poo poo. I was going to go with Blood Angels because the tutorials make painting space marines in general look reasonably easy, and I really liked the bright red of the Blood Angels.

I mean, priming them with Mephiston red is a good start. Carefully use a black wash for the armor segments, and get whatever orange you prefer for the edge highlighting. Green or purple for the eye lenses can both work. That's a basic start.