Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fishmech strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Facts basically don't matter and this conversation is totally irrelevant. 2 pages after this thread is on a new topic it will be 100% right back to unquestioning claims that the tech industry is abnormally far right. It's a claim that has so much cultural inertia people will make any mental twist to try and have it be true (tech workers are conservative because they voted for obama and obama is conservative is a real nutso logic chain). Even if someone knows or is a left wing tech worker they will have some cooked up story on why they are actually totally unique in the world and not totally absolutely standard and unremarkable and holding similar views to their peers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

to be honest it's mostly because of ghouls like thiel or to a lesser degree musk. or even bezos who thinks the only thing his winnings are good for is space travel. musk or bezos could usher in a utopia by backing progressive candidate with their money and have a far greater effect than all their stupid vanity projects.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 10, 2018

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It is possible that tech is not so much disproportionately full of libertarians as that the libertarians it has are so loud (especially on internal media) that their co-workers assume it's disproportionate.

Other than that, Peter Thiel and Elon Musk are both contemptible. Thank you for your attention.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Yeah I'm pretty confident that Thiel had more influence on the 2016 election than my whole tech office building. For example, I don't think any of us got a speaking slot at a national party convention. Right wing ideas might fare poorly in some hypothetical straw poll, but SV's net output on politics doesn't work like that.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Google was a CPAC sponsor, I don't remember if Facebook was but they had a booth. Also, seriously, the workers and the executives can't be politically lumped together in any industry.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think whatever brand of political thought exists in SV isn't really categorizable as either left-wing or right-wing.

"The FAA is being super uncool about our plan to disrupt travel by sending uncertified aircraft all over hell's half acre! Why do they have all these rules???" isn't so much a political opinion as the musings of someone who's six years old and has huge amounts of money for some reason.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

I think whatever brand of political thought exists in SV isn't really categorizable as either left-wing or right-wing.

"The FAA is being super uncool about our plan to disrupt travel by sending uncertified aircraft all over hell's half acre! Why do they have all these rules???" isn't so much a political opinion as the musings of someone who's six years old and has huge amounts of money for some reason.

That's textbook right wing view of regulation though?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

That's textbook right wing view of regulation though?

It’s also fan fiction And no one hasn’t said any plans to run “uncertified” aircraft or fly them without faa approval

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s also fan fiction And no one hasn’t said any plans to run “uncertified” aircraft or fly them without faa approval

Well then 2023 is a really optimistic deadline for getting an entirely new type of aircraft certified for commercial flight, and any large-scale program will have to involve a lot of certifications of helipads since, as I'm certain you know, it's not legal to simply land an aircraft wherever you like within a city.

Particularly around larger cities, you'd also need a clearance to operate within class B or C airspace, and that's something that probably won't scale particularly well if we're talking more than a handful of these aircraft flying around at any given time.

I just don't see any reasonable way for them to go beyond what can already be done with existing helicopters, and the idea that they've found the key to disrupt this market is fantastical nonsense. Even assuming they manage to produce an aircraft economically, and fly it economically, the restructuring of the laws that would need to occur to make it viable for anything beyond what's possible with existing technology would take longer than 5 years alone.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

Well then 2023 is a really optimistic deadline for getting an entirely new type of aircraft certified for commercial flight, and any large-scale program will have to involve a lot of certifications of helipads since, as I'm certain you know, it's not legal to simply land an aircraft wherever you like within a city.

Particularly around larger cities, you'd also need a clearance to operate within class B or C airspace, and that's something that probably won't scale particularly well if we're talking more than a handful of these aircraft flying around at any given time.

I just don't see any reasonable way for them to go beyond what can already be done with existing helicopters, and the idea that they've found the key to disrupt this market is fantastical nonsense. Even assuming they manage to produce an aircraft economically, and fly it economically, the restructuring of the laws that would need to occur to make it viable for anything beyond what's possible with existing technology would take longer than 5 years alone.

I mean strictly speaking, their whole special helicopter bullshit isn't going to be produced, so it doesn't quite matter that if it ever existed they'd want it to have special snowflake no rules access to the skies.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fishmech posted:

I mean strictly speaking, their whole special helicopter bullshit isn't going to be produced, so it doesn't quite matter that if it ever existed they'd want it to have special snowflake no rules access to the skies.

Fair point.

But then we must ask ourselves: why do they keep flapping their gums about it? They must realize it's as unrealistic as it obviously is. Are they just out to scam investors?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

PT6A posted:

Fair point.

But then we must ask ourselves: why do they keep flapping their gums about it? They must realize it's as unrealistic as it obviously is. Are they just out to scam investors?

It’s Uber, scamming is their DNA.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I watched The Fly the other day and totally imagined Seth Brundle developing his telepod technology to Uber.

:qq: Maybe if the buzz kill that is the Federal Government let us have free reign we'd be able to get the fly problem in our teleporters fixed!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How about launching satellites without permission that are a threat to other satellites since they can’t easily be tracked?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'M THE TRUE LEFTIST
I've been looking for you! Tell me what I'm doing wrong, quick!

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Groovelord Neato posted:

to be honest it's mostly because of ghouls like thiel or to a lesser degree musk. or even bezos who thinks the only thing his winnings are good for is space travel. musk or bezos could usher in a utopia by backing progressive candidate with their money and have a far greater effect than all their stupid vanity projects.

And the capitalists at the top represent everyone in tech... how? Taking a job at Walmart doesn’t mean you hold the Waltons’ views, working in one of his hotels doesn’t make you a Trump supporter, why do you think tech is tech unique in this?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

If they can get flying buses, sort of like those heliocopters that were discontinued after safety concerns in the late 1970s, that would be pretty cool.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I just saw a startup out here in SF bay area today called 'GetAround' that made my hair turn a little grayer.

Thinking that perhaps Uber and Lyft needed to hold their beer, there is a company out here where you sign up to rent out your own car hourly/daily to strangers. You install a lock modifier, apparently, that makes your car unlock remotely from an app when they rent your car on the fly. They then get in your car, which needs to be newish and shiny of course, and drive it away to whatever it is they're doing. It's not enough to offload the expenses of a taxi fleet onto the drivers, you see. You should also kick the driver out and let someone drive his car around for $5 an hour.

:stare:

I'm just imagining the conversation with the insurer.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sundae posted:

I just saw a startup out here in SF bay area today called 'GetAround' that made my hair turn a little grayer.

next month they'll offer 'SleepAround' which lets you rent out your bed to strangers by the hour

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I think Turo's been doing the same thing for a while. Thanks, Doug DeMuro, for sticking that in my brain.

It's kinda strange that the tech industry is normalizing communal property. The most capitalist of industries leading to the most communist of outcomes. Except without any means getting seized along the way, sadly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sundae posted:

Thinking that perhaps Uber and Lyft needed to hold their beer, there is a company out here where you sign up to rent out your own car hourly/daily to strangers. You install a lock modifier, apparently, that makes your car unlock remotely from an app when they rent your car on the fly. They then get in your car, which needs to be newish and shiny of course, and drive it away to whatever it is they're doing. It's not enough to offload the expenses of a taxi fleet onto the drivers, you see. You should also kick the driver out and let someone drive his car around for $5 an hour.

:stare:

I'm just imagining the conversation with the insurer.
That's not a (very) new thing, AirBnB for cars is a thing and people definitely use it. I wouldn't let a stranger touch my baby of course but if you have some generic shitbox why not I guess.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Insurance is easy. Commercial auto policy for a rental vehicle. Now will you make enough money to justify the additional costs of that policy? :lol:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Insurance is easy. Commercial auto policy for a rental vehicle. Now will you make enough money to justify the additional costs of that policy? :lol:

no no no

you just don't tell your insurer, then when they find out you suddenly don't have insurance for the very bad thing that happened but they still have all your premiums!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

No it was totally my close friend driving the car I have known him all my life and definitely not some stranger using someone’s stolen phone who crashed my car while drunk into multiple vehicles before he abandoned the car and skipped town.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mobby_6kl posted:

That's not a (very) new thing, AirBnB for cars is a thing and people definitely use it. I wouldn't let a stranger touch my baby of course but if you have some generic shitbox why not I guess.

cause unless you feel like footing the bills on repairs for damage done to your shitbox, it's a terrible idea?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It seems like "disruption" is a short form of "do a stupid thing while ignoring the obvious consequences that will eventually occur, and make money between the time we start doing that stupid thing and the time our chickens come home to roost."

Or just convince people at arms-length to do stupid, expensive and possibly illegal things and make money off them while maintaining plausible deniability.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PT6A posted:

It seems like "disruption" is a short form of "do a stupid thing while ignoring the obvious consequences that will eventually occur, and make money between the time we start doing that stupid thing and the time our chickens come home to roost."

Not like millennials invented that with cell phones or anything all the now traditional companies were pretty much that way too when they started and just moved from being the outsiders to the insiders.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Condiv posted:

cause unless you feel like footing the bills on repairs for damage done to your shitbox, it's a terrible idea?
Their website says they insure your car unless I'm misreading it:

quote:

Protection

$1,000,000 primary insurance included. Drivers are screened to ensure they have a safe driving record.
https://www.getaround.com/tour

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I was working on a version of this for a European country (just at the project stage) in like 2012, it's not a new idea and the market was there even then

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Or just convince people at arms-length to do stupid, expensive and possibly illegal things and make money off them while maintaining plausible deniability.

http://www.paulgraham.com/founders.html

quote:

4. Naughtiness

Though the most successful founders are usually good people, they tend to have a piratical gleam in their eye. They're not Goody Two-Shoes type good. Morally, they care about getting the big questions right, but not about observing proprieties. That's why I'd use the word naughty rather than evil. They delight in breaking rules, but not rules that matter. This quality may be redundant though; it may be implied by imagination.

founding partner at one of the largest and most well known VC firms out there

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Paul Graham posted:

Let me put the case in terms a government official would appreciate. Civil liberties are not just an ornament, or a quaint American tradition. Civil liberties make countries rich. If you made a graph of GNP per capita vs. civil liberties, you'd notice a definite trend. Could civil liberties really be a cause, rather than just an effect? I think so. I think a society in which people can do and say what they want will also tend to be one in which the most efficient solutions win, rather than those sponsored by the most influential people. Authoritarian countries become corrupt; corrupt countries become poor; and poor countries are weak. It seems to me there is a Laffer curve for government power, just as for tax revenues. At least, it seems likely enough that it would be stupid to try the experiment and find out. Unlike high tax rates, you can't repeal totalitarianism if it turns out to be a mistake.
just lmao at not only pretending the laffer curve is real but that it exists elsewhere as well

trust me, anyone defending "the tech industry" is beyond naive when it comes to claiming that the average tech investor is anything but neofeudalists who view themselves as above government because a bigger idiot bought their previous employer for X00,000,000 dollars and they happened to have stock options

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

self unaware posted:

just lmao at not only pretending the laffer curve is real but that it exists elsewhere as well

trust me, anyone defending "the tech industry" is beyond naive when it comes to claiming that the average tech investor is anything but neofeudalists who view themselves as above government because a bigger idiot bought their previous employer for X00,000,000 dollars and they happened to have stock options
The people defending the tech industry understand that the tech industry is almost entirely composed of people who are not tech investors. Why is this so hard for people? If you want to defend claims like "libertarians are pervasive in tech" you can't do it with claims like "Paul Graham, individually, is a dumb rear end".

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

The people defending the tech industry understand that the tech industry is almost entirely composed of people who are not tech investors. Why is this so hard for people? If you want to defend claims like "libertarians are pervasive in tech" you can't do it with claims like "Paul Graham, individually, is a dumb rear end".

libertarians are pervasive all across america, the "tech industry" as we know it today is controlled and driven by the US across the whole world (See: facebook, google, twitter, etc) and thus the tech industry reflects that little "L" libertarian everywhere you go

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Love those goal posts. "Libertarians are pervasive in the tech industry, but only because libertarians are pervasive everywhere, the claim 'libertarians are pervasive in tech' is in no way intended to suggest tech has more libertarians than you would expect as a baseline".

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
the reason the tech industry leans libertarian is the same reason the coal industry leans GOP, they will latch on to whatever ideology justifies their actions and libertarianism offers a compelling fiction to tell yourself if you're making millions doing nothing of value

the problem is most americans see "well they vote democrat" and assume that is somehow "left wing" when the democrats are gigantic coalition party that spans communists (sidebar- lol at anyone who's a communist that registers dem) to Ronald Reagan, or in this case, "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" libertarians who don't understand that fiscal conservatism immediately puts them in the category of reactionary right winger. there is no "just let everyone do what they want and it will all work out, freedom is the key" left-wing ideology unless you count anarchism as an ideology (lol)

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 10, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
And again, back to the twisted logic of "tech CEOs are right wing!"/"only 8% of them voted right wing"/"see, that proves how are right wing they are."

Is the answer that voting at all is inherently right wing and that the one true leftist option is to stay home on voting day and post online about it? Because even that, the people you post online with to declare how leftist you are by not engaging in the right wing act of voting are vastly more likely to own web development companies than steel mills or something.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
again, it has nothing to do with how they vote and everything to do with the views they espouse and the reality of most tech employees being bourgeoisie that do very well by ensuring nobody rocks the boat too hard

if the tech industry didn't lean towards "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" baby's first right-wing ideology it would be an aberration

lawyers and law firms also regularly vote democratic and generally support those orgs first before republicans, and poll "better" than the average american when it comes to social issues. it doesn't make the american law industry "left leaning"

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 10, 2018

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Tech industry employees are liberal the same way finance industry employees are liberal - they tend to skew Dem versus middle America but mostly due to the skew in education backgrounds and being situated in urban bubbles. Their industries are still a net negative.

They never make any meaningful critique of the companies they work for - ask someone like Cicero about their time at Amazon or Google and you're likely see them fall into platitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It doesn't lean fiscally conservative. OOCC posted actual data.