Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hooman posted:

No, I'm saying they should be. I'm saying the exact argument for 16 year olds working for less than adults should also apply to apprentices, I'm saying I'm consistent on the case of "being paid below the minimum wage for work is loving bullshit".

I agree here, nobody should be paid below minimum wage. I would go as far as to say that minimum wage should be higher across the board and indexed to CPI/median rent prices. I just don't think that paying children less because they're children creates opportunities to entrench child labour. If paying children less means paying them below a living wage, that's fuckin lovely and should be changed. It doesn't have any impact on whether adults get hired for jobs because as we've established, there are a whole range of industries that children aren't even allowed to work in because they (legally, physically, whatever) can't do some tasks that a person who is older than them can do.

JBP posted:

Running a till does not require months of training and assistance.

Depends on the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bell jar posted:

I agree here, nobody should be paid below minimum wage. I would go as far as to say that minimum wage should be higher across the board and indexed to CPI/median rent prices. I just don't think that paying children less because they're children creates opportunities to entrench child labour. If paying children less means paying them below a living wage, that's fuckin lovely and should be changed. It doesn't have any impact on whether adults get hired for jobs because as we've established, there are a whole range of industries that children aren't even allowed to work in because they (legally, physically, whatever) can't do some tasks that a person who is older than them can do.

Depends on the job

the job is running a till

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hooman posted:

EDIT: And if the tradie is also making the minimum wage? Well then that's not an argument to cut the apprentice's pay, that's an argument to raise theirs.

yes, exactly. doesn't mean that the apprentice's pay should be raised to match the tradie without consideration for the broader picture

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If I hired someone to sell poo poo and enter it into a till and they could not do that job without help after a month I would sack them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

Fair enough. Sorry, I misunderstood you, I thought you were saying that there should be lower wages for under 18s, not that it wasn't entrenching child labor. :kiddo:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
The federal government paying an 18 year old less than a 20 year old less than an “adult” (at 21) for the same work is bullshit.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

the job is running a till

JBP posted:

If I hired someone to sell poo poo and enter it into a till and they could not do that job without help after a month I would sack them.

i pity the people you hire with dyscalculia or anything else that precludes them from picking up tasks as quickly as you

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

i pity the people you hire with dyscalculia or anything else that precludes them from picking up tasks as quickly as you

:same:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

The federal government paying an 18 year old less than a 20 year old less than an “adult” (at 21) for the same work is bullshit.

i can get on board with this. if you're old enough to be able to make adult decisions, you should be paid as an adult. in my head i'm thinking 15/16/17, not the 18-20yo kids

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

bell jar posted:

It doesn't have any impact on whether adults get hired for jobs because as we've established, there are a whole range of industries that children aren't even allowed to work in because they (legally, physically, whatever) can't do some tasks that a person who is older than them can do.

The fact that children can't work at servos has no impact on the hiring preferences of fast food chains, supermarkets or other similar unskilled jobs. The fact that those children get paid substantially less to do unskilled labour would seem like a likely factor that would impact those job markets.

I don't really see how this concept is hard to understand unless you've never been to a supermarket or fast food place before.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Periphery posted:

The fact that children can't work at servos has no impact on the hiring preferences of fast food chains, supermarkets or other similar unskilled jobs. The fact that those children get paid substantially less to do unskilled labour would seem like a likely factor that would impact those job markets.

I don't really see how this concept is hard to understand unless you've never been to a supermarket or fast food place before.

conversely, if adults and children were paid the same, what motivation would a fast food or supermarket employer have to employ a child over an adult? how do you propose young people enter the labour market when potentially competing with people with 10-15+ years experience than them in unskilled roles

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

bell jar posted:

conversely, if adults and children were paid the same, what motivation would a fast food or supermarket employer have to employ a child over an adult? how do you propose young people enter the labour market when potentially competing with people with 10-15+ years experience than them in unskilled roles

There's inherent value in being able to train someone to your own preferences and processes though, rather than hire someone who's experienced but might be very stuck in their ways and go "yeah I know you like it this way but AT MY OLD JOB we did it this other way".

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I think at least one of the big 4 consultancies are now hiring people fresh out of high school instead of requiring qualifications

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

i motherfucking love figuring out market-based solutions to labour issues, hell yeah

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

i motherfucking love figuring out market-based solutions to labour issues, hell yeah

labour: somehow not a market where people are judged on their skill and competency

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if we can just figure out the correct equation to determine wages we will have 0% employment

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

when you're "Selling your labour" who are you selling it to if not an employer in a labour market? im sorry that my use of the word labour market instead of labour force has triggered you

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

there's no point deciding things are good for one set of workers without wondering if that change actually deprives them of that work

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

bell jar posted:

labour: somehow not a market where people are judged on their skill and competency

Which is why I, a skilled and competent worker in my field get paid highaahahaaa aaaAAAHAAAHA

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

this is turning into some whirlpool tech worker level discourse

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Which is why I, a skilled and competent worker in my field get paid highaahahaaa aaaAAAHAAAHA

don't you work at a petrol station? but really, it's not perfect, or even good really, but it is a market

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

bell jar posted:

don't you work at a petrol station?

:wow:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/bj3gdv/i-masturbated-to-the-2018-budget-and-it-was-not-great

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vice needs to gently caress off

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Facebook added up votes and down votes to news stories comments sections once again proving that tech companies are lazy hacks who outsourced comment moderation... To commenters.

This has caused people to down vote comments they disagree with until the comment automatically becomes hidden Lmao.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/01/facebook-downvote-nz-australia/

Anidav fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 10, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Vice needs to gently caress off

looks like they've already got 'gently caress themselves' sorted

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Periphery posted:

Because people under the age of 18 can't sell cigarettes.

They can though.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
gently caress no

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Really? Really??

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

mods please change my name to opposition clapback

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

as millennials we take no responsibility for errors or omissions

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
is this the thread where we talk about Steam refunds and how they're great and everyone is good and supported for doing it

because I got loving X Rebirth refunded after blowing fifty on it over four years ago

haha joke's on you steam no it's on my for buying X Rebirth, loving hell

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the winking 'millennials are lazy and dumb, amirite?' in the last sentence of a thing supposedly by and for millennials

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

That is pretty much the worst thing I have ever seen.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mods namechange please to Van Badpost

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

this is not lit 100

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
That infographic triggers me

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

as millennials we take no responsibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Don't be stupid, Johnson. Millennials are too busy eating smashed avo and going to concerts to help with this piece. Just google, 'what Millennials say' and we will pretend. That will work.

Edit: blacks rule

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 10, 2018

• Locked thread